• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn on PC (Same guy that "predicted" Death Stranding)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanrutcon

It was also a game by Capcom, who frequently releases games on PC.

No, no. Not during that discussion. The amount of "Not a fucking chance" that was thrown around up in that discussion was legendary. The Playstation defense force was out in full swing.

Then it got released.

And now? "Oh, it was obviously gonna happen duh...but THIS game over here? that'll never happen!"

The cycle continues.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
It appears that Sony is in the games business rather than just the console business as well. It also appears that VFXVeteran VFXVeteran may be onto something with some of the things that he's been saying about Sony and how they want to put more games on PC as well.

I got trolled for telling you guys something that was going to be crushing to hear. But my inside sources wouldn't lie to me. Maybe this time people will actually listen to what I'm hinting at instead of rushing me thinking I'm a troll. :messenger_winking:

You guys haven't heard all of it.. but pretty much expect any PS exclusive possibly going to the PC including ND games.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
No, no. Not during that discussion. The amount of "Not a fucking chance" that was thrown around up in that discussion was legendary. The Playstation defense force was out in full swing.

Then it got released.

And now? "Oh, it was obviously gonna happen duh...but THIS game over here? that'll never happen!"

The cycle continues.

But is was released on Xbox, too...

It definitely was up there with Red Dead Redemption in terms of "never happening" discussion, though.

Fbh

Last edited:

FranXico

Would be nice, if they start bringing their games to PC it saves me the trouble of getting a Ps5.

With that said, no one "Predicted" death stranding on PC.
It was announced as coming to PC since before we even knew it was called Death Stranding
. When Sony and Kojima announced they would be working together they straight up said the game would release on Ps4 first and come to PC later. It's just that Sony then smartly never brought it up again.
Indeed.
Sony Computer Entertainment has published an FAQ regarding its recently announced partnership with Hideo Kojima and his nascent Kojima Productions development studio. The FAQ addresses a variety of questions, bringing to light a few new details.

The FAQ (click on the source link below for the full transcript) outlines that Kojima Productions' first project as part of the partnership is a timed PS4 exclusive. After the exclusivity period is over, the game will appear for PC.
Date of the article: Dec 16 2015.
medium-padpoet.jpg

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Makes zero sense, one is a sony game, the other isn't (fully). Would be nice but I call bs (like the claimed prediction for DS).

Last edited:

FranXico

Makes zero sense, one is a sony game, the other isn't (fully). Would be nice but I call bs (like the claimed prediction for DS).
Sony has been licensing their IP for PC releases (Flower, Journey, Detroit). So, it's possible.

Alexios

Sony has been licensing their IP for PC releases (Flower, Journey, Detroit). So, it's possible.
The devs of those aren't Sony owned, they asked (or even paid, or rights expired, who knows) and got the greenlight. Sure, anything is theoretically possible in life even if it never happens practically, I was just pointing out cases like Death Stranding and those you also mention are very different.

Last edited:

mejin

I got trolled for telling you guys something that was going to be crushing to hear. But my inside sources wouldn't lie to me. Maybe this time people will actually listen to what I'm hinting at instead of rushing me thinking I'm a troll. :messenger_winking:

You guys haven't heard all of it.. but pretty much expect any PS exclusive possibly going to the PC including ND games.

Their funeral.

LostDonkey

Death Stranding was confirmed for PC the moment it was announced as a thing. Nobody "leaked" its release. The only people surprised by its PC appearance were rabid fan boys.

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

I think a delayed release strategy where the game arrives on PC 2 or 3 years after everybody bought it on PS5 is the ideal scenario. It'd sort of be like Syndication in the TV business, which I'd be fine with. Day and date? No. Microsoft can get away with it because Xbox Game Pass picks up most of the slack. But Sony is heavily reliant on its first part games to sell consoles. So they won't be bringing their games to PC the same day as PS5 for the most part.

Last edited:

Xmengrey

If you don't mind me asking sorry I'm really new to this whole NeoGAF thing only joined I assume "the Industry Professional/Vetted" means that someone has looked into your credentials and has noted you are a legit insider I presume.

If you don't mind me asking if you have posted any leaks in the past?
What are your predictions for Sony's PC Gaming Strategy?

Mine I think Horizon Zero Dawn, and it's sequel
Gravity Rush definitely
Bloodborne
Last Guardian

Then we'll work our way up to Infamous Second Son, God of War, Ghosts of Thushima,
Last but not least Spider-Man, Uncharted 4, and the Last of Us Part 2 with Sony now releasing their games day and date

I think a delayed release strategy where the game arrives on PC 2 or 3 years after everybody bought it on PS5 is the ideal scenario. It'd sort of be like Syndication in the TV business, which I'd be fine with. Day and date? No. Microsoft can get away with it because Xbox Game Pass picks up most of the slack. But Sony is heavily reliant on its first part games to sell consoles. So they won't be bringing their games to PC the same day as PS5 for the most part.
Sony doesn't need to sell their consoles to PC users.
Consoles are thin profits for Sony they don't make much if anything at all on them
PC and console also aren't competition, and Sony can make their own Game Pass if they want to
Sony primarily wants their console audience to buy third party games, and subscription services on the platform.
PC Gamers will never do this, they will never ever buy a third party title that's available on PC on the consoles especially now we are getting Cross-Play which is open to any developer to implement and will be implemented going forward for sure.
Developers want longevity with their games, crossplay is an incredible boon..
Sony putting their games on PC day and date would really just to improve software sales, there console sales won't slump or go to someone else.
Microsoft is also putting their games on PC so people won't be flocking to Xbox
The Switch will also be lacking in power, and third party support so console only gamers will need a MS or Sony console
The devs of those aren't Sony owned, they asked (or even paid, or rights expired, who knows) and got the greenlight. Sure, anything is theoretically possible in life even if it never happens practically, I was just pointing out cases like Death Stranding and those you also mention are very different.
Even if the dev isn't owned by Sony the final decision is still up to them as they own the IP that's why Bloodborne isn't on PC even though it's developer isn't owned by Sony.
Though it could easily happen now.

Last edited:

Xmengrey

Sony doesn't need to sell their consoles to PC users.
Consoles are thin profits for Sony they don't make much if anything at all on them
PC and console also aren't competition, and Sony can make their own Game Pass if they want to
Sony primarily wants their console audience to buy third party games, and subscription services on the platform.
PC Gamers will never do this, they will never ever buy a third party title that's available on PC on the consoles especially now we are getting Cross-Play which is open to any developer to implement and will be implemented going forward for sure.
Developers want longevity with their games, crossplay is an incredible boon..
Sony putting their games on PC day and date would really just to improve software sales, there console sales won't slump or go to someone else.
The Switch will also be lacking in power, and third party support so console only gamers will need a MS or Sony console

Xmengrey

Even if the dev isn't owned by Sony the final decision is still up to them as they own the IP that's why Bloodborne isn't on PC even though it's developer isn't owned by Sony.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Expecting meltdowns when it does.
Why this isn't Mister media or crackdown 3 levels of bs 🤣🤣🤣 I doubt fans care about a game going to pc that came out few years ago 🤔

I'd love to see this game maxed out on a crazy rig. This is one of the most beautifulest games this gen.

You try so hard

Last edited:

Alexios

Again, just pointing out it's a different case to the other examples. Obviously yet more different cases also exist. No evidence suggests anything has changed and all that talk about not making profit on consoles has been the same since the PS2 if not PS1 days so why go all in on PC now? No evidence given.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Again, just pointing out it's a different case to the other examples. Obviously yet more different cases also exist. No evidence suggests anything has changed and all that talk about not making profit on consoles has been the same since the PS2 if not PS1 days so why go all in on PC now? No evidence given.

The evidence is clear and it's going to happen. Whether it makes sense to some people is of no consequence.

Alexios

The evidence is clear and it's going to happen. Whether it makes sense to some people is of no consequence.
Please show the evidence beyond arguments like how they don't make money on console hardware which has been the same since they got in this industry but that still didn't make them put their first party games on PC (outside having separate entities like SOE in the past that did do PC games often without console versions, usually MMORPGs). Or so called leakers who haven't really leaked shit before. Until you do this you're just throwing shit at the wall thinking if it happens you can point to it and say I told you so and if it doesn't people will have forgotten about it as they are really not invested in it in any way beyond just making a comment.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
If you don't mind me asking sorry I'm really new to this whole NeoGAF thing only joined I assume "the Industry Professional/Vetted" means that someone has looked into your credentials and has noted you are a legit insider I presume.

If you don't mind me asking if you have posted any leaks in the past?
What are your predictions for Sony's PC Gaming Strategy?

Mine I think Horizon Zero Dawn, and it's sequel
Gravity Rush definitely
Bloodborne
Last Guardian

Then we'll work our way up to Infamous Second Son, God of War, Ghosts of Thushima,
Last but not least Spider-Man, Uncharted 4, and the Last of Us Part 2 with Sony now releasing their games day and date

I don't know what order or when PC ports will be announced, nor do I know ALL of the PC ports. I just know there will be some really popular ones.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Please show the evidence beyond arguments like how they don't make money on console hardware which has been the same since they got in this industry but that still didn't make them put their first party games on PC (outside having separate entities like SOE in the past that did do PC games). Until you do this you're just throwing shit at the wall thinking if it happens you can point to it and say I told you so and if it doesn't people will have forgotten about it as they really not invested in it in any way beyond just making a comment.

I can't do that, but I mean it's really all out there. The port of Halo: Reach is a perfect example. It's going to sell millions. The sell game model has been embraced. This is why I adamantly tried to tell people that console games are developed on PC first (because they are). This is why I kept saying there is no secret sauce hardware. This is why I kept shouting the "PC dev version of the exclusive game gets ported down to the console" over and over again.

The first indication of PC support for PS exclusives came with the announcement of the Quantum Dream games (Detroit, Heavy Rain, etc..), then the collaboration between Kojima and Guerilla Games was announced. Then the immediate announcement of Death Stranding 1 day before it's release. It was practically hitting everyone in the face and it was ignored.

Alexios

Microsoft isn't new to PC gaming (I mean, they're newer to console gaming, duh), they've often had flagship titles of theirs on PC, the original Halo, Gears of War, were also on PC (but that didn't make Sony console games go PC), they go in cycles in and out of that (while claiming they're always in before fucking it up, lol). You also seem to forget Windows is still a Microsoft platform. So no, it's not evidence that Sony is doing the same. Again, until you provide evidence you're just throwing shit at the wall to say I told you so if it ever happens while thinking nobody will care if it doesn't, which is also true. Where is the actual evidence you speak of, so far you have 0, just a statement that may or may not become true, which doesn't change the fact there's no actual evidence supporting it out there or if there is you have failed to present it and only present unrelated in gaming's history crap like the cost of consoles and Microsoft's PC ports (Reach isn't the only or first recent one btw).

Last edited:
For Sony to put their first party games on PC would basically be suicide. With MS putting all their games on PC, why then would anyone bother with consoles?

I've said it before: why invest all that time and money in creating your own hardware, including your own OS and online services, just to say, "Hey, but you can also play all our games on your PC, so you don't need to worry about this machine."

It's ... stupid, quite frankly.

Then again, maybe that's why we recently saw all those departures at Sony? Maybe the company has decided to take this direction, some didn't like it, and so they've decided to move on.

Remember something, too: the PlayStation division is one of the few profitable sectors of Sony; the music, movie, and phone sectors aren't doing so good (haven't been for years), and they binned off their PC range many years back. PS+ is making them a lot of money, but that's only so long as they're able to keep gamers on their platform. If Sony really do start putting their first party games on PC then they're not just shooting themselves in the foot, they're taking a shotgun and blowing an entire leg off.

pawel86ck

Banned
I can't do that, but I mean it's really all out there. The port of Halo: Reach is a perfect example. It's going to sell millions. The sell game model has been embraced. This is why I adamantly tried to tell people that console games are developed on PC first (because they are). This is why I kept saying there is no secret sauce hardware. This is why I kept shouting the "PC dev version of the exclusive game gets ported down to the console" over and over again.

The first indication of PC support for PS exclusives came with the announcement of the Quantum Dream games (Detroit, Heavy Rain, etc..), then the collaboration between Kojima and Guerilla Games was announced. Then the immediate announcement of Death Stranding 1 day before it's release. It was practically hitting everyone in the face and it was ignored.
The end of the world as we know it is near and it's all devil's work :messenger_tears_of_joy: .... although I see no downsides in playing Uncharted or Horizon games on PC. I can use my favorite controler on PC, run games at higher framerate and customize my gaming experience much more than on console.

Jubenhimer

It would still do so even with a late release strategy. Even with third party support, Sony still needs their first party games to drive adoption for their consoles, and most of them need to be exclusive for at least a few years.

Halo: Reach is a perfect example.

A company that owns a franchise, porting it to an OS that they also own, due to home console not selling very well? No matter who you support, we all have to agree that MS have had their teeth kicked in this generation and really have nothing to lose by now porting to their games to another of their own systems, to generate more revenue. Xbox One X was meant to save them and whoop Sony's arse. It did nothing.

The first indication of PC support for PS exclusives came with the announcement of the Quantum Dream games (Detroit, Heavy Rain, etc..),

Huh? These aren't even second party titles (and Fahrenheit was a multiplatform title). Heavy Rain was actually pitched to Microsoft before Sony. MS passed on the game because they didn't want to publish something that was about child abduction. QD then approached Sony.

... then the collaboration between Kojima and Guerilla Games was announced. Then the immediate announcement of Death Stranding 1 day before it's release. It was practically hitting everyone in the face and it was ignored.

As others have pointed out, this deal was on the table back in 2015. The Decima Engine was probably chosen around that time, too.

Of course, I could be wrong. But again, developing a new console (with everything that goes along with that), only to tell people they don't need to buy it, would be financial suicide.

Stuart360

I have said the same numeous times on here, its only a matter of time. There is a whole platform there with tens of millions of users, its such a waste to not use it.
I mean yeah Sony might lose a few million console sales, but both Sony and Microsoft make hardly any profits on console sales, especially in the first few years of a new gen, but they can make a shit ton of money from game sales and licenses.
There is this weird thinking that doing this means all the tens of millions of casual console gamers are suddenly going to go out and buy a gaming PC instead, its not going to happen. There will always be PC only gamers, Console only gamers, and PC and Console gamers.

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

I have said the same numeous times on here, its only a matter of time. There is a whole platform there with tens of millions of users, its such a waste to not use it.
I mean yeah Sony might lost a few million console sales, but both Sony and Microsoft make hardly any profits on console sales, especially in the first few years of a new gen, but they can make a shit ton of money from game sales and licenses.
There is this weird thinking that doing this means all the tens of millions of casual console gamers are suddenly going to go out and buy a gaming PC instead, its not going to happen. There will always be PC only gamers, Console only gamers, and PC and Console gamers.

It's basically foolish not to give some support to PC at this point. PCs are as ubiquitous as phones are, so you have a built-in audience to sell to. However, I don't think going the route of Microsoft and releasing all of their games day-and-date would be a good fit for Sony. Rather, a delayed strategy that ports some of the "Best of PlayStation" after a period of time being exclusive to PS5, is a much better strategy for them. It still lets them use exclusivity to sell their console, while also tapping into a large built-in audience for older products. That way, they can get a taste of what you can find on PS5.

This to me, sounds like a much better long-term strategy.

Xmengrey

Oh this is easy.
PC Gaming was no where near as big is it is now during the PS1 and PS2 era.
PC Gaming grew during 7th and 8th gen and it is nowhere near slowing down or stopping.
The general attitude towards PC Gaming back then wasn't as possible as it is now
Home PC sales might be down but Gaming related stuff is doing great.
The technology of easier porting wasn't there as well though an interesting fact.
Twisted Metal was ported to PC at one point.

Last edited:

Alexios

I didn't say why not then and only now, there's a whole span of years and a few generations there you know, not just ps1 days vs the present, porting has been easy as pie for ages now with the advent of engines like unreal engine, dating back to 2 & 3 being very popular on consoles, not just with 4+ that we're at now. Again, no evidence there, just some potential correlation and not necessarily also causation on if this does happen, no actual reasons for it to happen because of the claims that you think are new elements when they have been there ages now instead.

Last edited:

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Why let time and dust hinder the smiles and hearts of a million people? For it is so wrong where humanity can enjoy superb gaming experiences like The Last of Us, The Order, Bloodborne, or Uncharted Trilogy upon their computer screen? Do not let these brilliant works sit upon the shelves, alone. Bring them to light, as many as possible. Then let them shine upon the eyes of generations of those whom may not afford a gaming console, the world over. For when this happens, the world becomes a little bit better and these good deeds become rewarded. No, not through Stadia nor some unready streaming abomination or exclusive backdoor deal. But through a worthy client not unlike a Sony PC Launcher, or even Steam, Uplay, GoG. One day gaming will not divide culture through exclusivity. Hopefully that day is soon approaching.

Xmengrey

I didn't say why not then and only now, there's a whole span of years there, not just ps1 vs the present, porting has been easy as pie for ages now with the advent of engines like unreal engine, dating back to 2 being very popular on consoles, not just with 4+ that we're at now. Again, nothing new there, no evidence, just assumptions.
Porting wasn't easy as pie, even with Unreal Engine it made things easier but not to the point where Sony would consider porting their first party games over especially since well they never use UE to begin with and again it wasn't just that it was also the PC not being as big as it is now.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Of course, I could be wrong. But again, developing a new console (with everything that goes along with that), only to tell people they don't need to buy it, would be financial suicide.

That's just not true. There is nothing suicidal about porting over their best titles to an agnostic platform (which was developed on the PC anyway). They are thinking about revenues off of the games. The machines will still sell. Even if they lose a few customers to people buying the PC, they will more than make up for it in game sales.

I know it's hard to digest right now, but it really is a smart move.

Alexios

Porting wasn't easy as pie, even with Unreal Engine it made things easier but not to the point where Sony would consider porting their first party games over especially since well they never use UE to begin with and again it wasn't just that it was also the PC not being as big as it is now.
Again, please show us evidence of sony porting first party flagship titles to PC being an actual thing, not how it might be easier or harder vs ages past if they do decide to do so vs not deciding to do so 20 years ago. The tools are pretty much the same now at the end of the gen that they were at the start of it and the last gen too.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
I mean yeah Sony might lose a few million console sales, but both Sony and Microsoft make hardly any profits on console sales, especially in the first few years of a new gen, but they can make a shit ton of money from game sales and licenses.
source.gif

Alexios

Yes, the first "i told you so", I wonder how long has he been saying it for, maybe since the ps2 days, lol? You two can confirm each other as reliable sources of evidence now?

You present nothing but theories and hypothesis, not evidence, you can't possibly not be able to understand the difference.

Last edited:

Xmengrey

Again, please show us evidence on sony porting first party flagship titles to PC being an actual thing, not how it might be easier or harder vs ages past if they do decide to do so.
Well the evidence being Death Stranding. Sony owns the IP even if they don't own the developer, for all intensive purposes it's developed like Spider-Man PS4 and treated like a First Party title.
First Party Engine, First Party Support, along with Sony owning the IP.
Kojima Productions even not owned by Sony can't port Death Stranding to PC without Sony's permission.
That's why Bloodborne hasn't showed up on PC yet even though the developer isn't owned by Sony.

There really isn't a difference between First Party and Second Party in terms of exclusivity.
Them doing this to their second party games especially since they are porting Decima Engine to consumer grade PCs it makes sense that games like Horizon Zero Dawn will take advantage of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom