• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Americans Order Their Steak (Rare 2.5%, Well Done 11.7%)

You want to talk about food outrage, stop putting pineapple on your food you sickos!

Pineapple on pizza is a travesty because it doesn't go well with a buttload of cheese, bread and tomato sauce.

But pineapple SAUCE with meat and other table sauces is great. I get the pineapple maymay, but this ain't one of them.

I just don't understand how anyone can eat well-done steak. It's so terrible. I don't care how fat the cut was or whatever, the texture and toughness and lack of taste are just awful.

I mean, if someone doesn't want to eat medium-rare steak, I get that. If you're just deathly afraid of E. coli, or you just can't stomach the texture, or whatever. But in that case I'd just get a burger. Half as expensive, and even a mediocre burger is way more edible than a well-done steak.

You have a much higher chance of getting e-coli by eating lettuce or using a bathroom than you have by eating a properly cooked steak. Like with most problems in this country, we could probably eliminate most well done eaters with education.

Kaladin

If it's not at least pink I'll send it back to the kitchen. I like mine somewhere between rare and medium rare.

Eusis

Sounds about right, honestly. Rare meat is an extreme beloved only by few, but promoted very loudly by its constituents.

One of the more verifiable examples of a vocal minority that I can think of.

That said: the war between how food should be eaten is mostly for fun and nobody should actually care how people eat their steaks. As a victim of steak-shaming, I push for its eradication.
Seriously though I'd plead to give at least the medium options a fair shake. If you still don't like it from even a competent chain restaurant then fair enough, it's just food after all and not something particularly bad for you.

Sean C

I just don't understand how anyone can eat well-done steak. It's so terrible. I don't care how fat the cut was or whatever, the texture and toughness and lack of taste are just awful.
Not my experience. I generally prefer drier meat (and well-done is not that dry, anyway).

MisterR

I mean, if someone doesn't want to eat medium-rare steak, I get that. If you're just deathly afraid of E. coli, or you just can't stomach the texture, or whatever. But in that case I'd just get a burger. Half as expensive, and even a mediocre burger is way more edible than a well-done steak.

If you think eating a fucking shoe is tasty, then I could see you liking a well done steak.

kmfdmpig

While I don't like anything above medium it's always a bit silly to see how worked up GAF gets about how others eat. Does it really bother people that other people like meat cooked more than they do or that they like ketchup on hot dogs or pineapple on pizza. As Harrison Ford would say, who gives a shit?

Ponn

Banned
Pineapple on pizza is a travesty because it doesn't go well with a buttload of cheese, bread and tomato sauce.

But pineapple SAUCE with meat and other table sauces is great. I get the pineapple maymay, but this ain't one of them.

I don't trust you pineapple people. It starts at "it's just pineapple sauce" and then it's "let's put pineapple slices on the ham" and before you know it BAM you're conned into ordering the dreaded Hawaiian pizza. I'm not falling for it.

Mine have to be cooked brown all the way through to the middle- no red whatsoever. If there is then it has to go back till they can or throw it in the garbage and cook another for me till you can. If you burn the outside while you cook it then it gets sent back until you can cook it medium-well and no burnt anything on the outside. Any hint of pink or red and it will always go back. I have had expensive steakhouses go through 5 or 6 steaks until they got it right.

I don't trust you pineapple people. It starts at "it's just pineapple sauce" and then it's "let's put pineapple slices on the ham" and before you know it BAM you're conned into ordering the dreaded Hawaiian pizza. I'm not falling for it.

It's a slippery slope. I say we outlaw all pineapples to put a stop to this before it's too late!

Cooking is what separates us from the rest of the animals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wpfwu__PF7Y

Well done. I want cooked meat, not warm raw meat.

While I don't like anything above medium it's always a bit silly to see how worked up GAF gets about how others eat. Does it really bother people that other people like meat cooked more than they do or that they like ketchup on hot dogs or pineapple on pizza. As Harrison Ford would say, who gives a shit?

It is indeed funny how GAF, which can often be quite reasonable, gets turned inside out on certain topics: food, pronunciation (gif vs jif), dinosaurs with feathers. It's all in good fun, though. Or so I tell myself.

____

To all the "it's not blood" folks:

Not saying it is or isn't blood, but it damn sure looks like it is, and to a lot of people that's a huge turnoff as perception/aesthetics matter with food.

I still shudder at the thought of hearing this woman at a dinner table utter: "Ugh, I can't eat a steak if it's not dripping blood."

Scarred me for life.

Chuckie

That is not specifically a GAF thing. Hell it is not even specifically an internet thing.
People IRL also dislike well done steaks and pineapple pizza. On the internet people just like to exaggerate, because it is fun.

Mine have to be cooked brown all the way through to the middle- no red whatsoever. If there is then it has to go back till they can or throw it in the garbage and cook another for me till you can. If you burn the outside while you cook it then it gets sent back until you can cook it medium-well and no burnt anything on the outside. Any hint of pink or red and it will always go back. I have had expensive steakhouses go through 5 or 6 steaks until they got it right.

A literal supervillain in plain sight, GAF

.JayZii

Banned
To all the "it's not blood" folks:

Not saying it is or isn't blood, but it damn sure looks like it is, and to a lot of people that's a huge turnoff as perception/aesthetics matter with food.

I still shudder at the thought of hearing this woman at a dinner table utter: "Ugh, I can't eat a steak if it's not dripping blood."

Scarred me for life.
You're eating an animal. Get used to it.

You should be banned from expensive steakhouses. Brown in the middle? Good Lord, that's disturbing.

HeySeuss

I guarantee you that your steak gets an extra rub put on it or spit on sending it back so often. I bet you order the thickest cut possible and expect it to be cooked all the way through with no burn marks, which is nearly impossible.

Top Bottom