• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Americans Order Their Steak (Rare 2.5%, Well Done 11.7%)

I'm convinced that people order their steak this way (and well done) out of ignorance of thinking red meat is inherently bad for you or dangerous an will make you sick. It just has to be.

Medium rare ftw

This is 100% the truth, I know several people who believe any blood will make them immediately sick.
Bloody meat definitely has a stigma of carrying diseases like E Coli or Salmonella to an older generation. Whatever Good Morning America or Oprah segment they got that from scared them enough to give up Rare Meat and not question the risk.

qcf x2

Pleasantly surprised at the results. Medium is indeed the correct choice most of the time. Of course, when you ask for medium you must say "but MEDIUM, not medium-well" or else you risk getting a well-done steak.

Side note: nothing zaps sophistry like waxing eloquent at a high end beef place then ordering your entree well done.

Danneee

I'm a Well-Doner, throw me in jail for 75 years.

All my meats have to be cooked well done/ little burnt or charred even. My stomach literally gets queasy at the sight of under cooked food and the texture and feeling of a medium to rare steak in my mouth makes me start to vomit. It has more to do with eating flesh of an animal and wanting to disguise that as much as possible. I would be vegan if I could but I just like the taste of meat too much.

Amen brother!

andymcc

Banned
Mine have to be cooked brown all the way through to the middle- no red whatsoever. If there is then it has to go back till they can or throw it in the garbage and cook another for me till you can. If you burn the outside while you cook it then it gets sent back until you can cook it medium-well and no burnt anything on the outside. Any hint of pink or red and it will always go back. I have had expensive steakhouses go through 5 or 6 steaks until they got it right.

why go to an expensive steakhouse then?

just get some fucking chopped sirloin and throw it on high in your broiler at home. same effect, less cost.

unless you just like burning money.

and being a dick to restaurant staff.

KoopaTheCasual

I'm convinced that people order their steak this way (and well done) out of ignorance of thinking red meat is inherently bad for you or dangerous an will make you sick. It just has to be.

Medium rare ftw
Seriously this. When I was a child, my mom forbade me from ordering anything besides well done, because "pink/red meat was dangerous for me".

I never understood the world's obsession with steak; and then I had my first (well cooked) medium-rare steak.

It's definitely out of ignorance, since pink chicken/burgers are dangerous, people wrongfully attribute the same to steaks.

What is blue rare?

"Blue" or "Pittsburgh" means charred (burnt) on the outside and rare inside.

Mine have to be cooked brown all the way through to the middle- no red whatsoever. If there is then it has to go back till they can or throw it in the garbage and cook another for me till you can. If you burn the outside while you cook it then it gets sent back until you can cook it medium-well and no burnt anything on the outside. Any hint of pink or red and it will always go back. I have had expensive steakhouses go through 5 or 6 steaks until they got it right.

Dude if you want brown all the way through stop ordering medium-well. Medium-well by definition still has a little pink inside. You want well done!

My parents are immigrants and for the longest time they've eaten steak well done. I was able to wear on my dad to go down to medium rare over the years but my mom can only do medium. Still, they're very embarrassed that they were part of the the well done gang once upon a time

Fact of the matter is, if the steak's not good, medium rare and medium well both taste bad.

If you want to proselytize rare steaks to your friends, gotta make sure you're taking them to a good joint to begin with

rjinaz

Doesn't make it any more appetizing.

I mean you're literally eating a dead animal. It's all about your own perception and challenging it. There is nothing more gross about a dripping protein than any other part of the meat.

In the end though, people should just eat what they like. Want it burn to ash, so be it or if you want it still mooing, so be it.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
So you want them to bake your steak

Pulka

I bet it's hard for them to get it right when it's literally impossible

MisterR

I'm a Well-Doner, throw me in jail for 75 years.

All my meats have to be cooked well done/ little burnt or charred even. My stomach literally gets queasy at the sight of under cooked food and the texture and feeling of a medium to rare steak in my mouth makes me start to vomit. It has more to do with eating flesh of an animal and wanting to disguise that as much as possible. I would be vegan if I could but I just like the taste of meat too much.

You can't like the taste of meat that much if you order it well done.

Medium-rare here for most places. If I go to a proper steakhouse tho, I get rare. My manager at work, a 5' Asian woman, gets blue-rare on occasion.

MisterR

In all honesty they should have thrown you out and banned you.

Seriously this. When I was a child, my mom forbade me from ordering anything besides well done, because "pink/red meat was dangerous for me".

I never understood the world's obsession with steak; and then I had my first (well cooked) medium-rare steak.

It's definitely out of ignorance, since pink chicken/burgers are dangerous, people wrongfully attribute the same to steaks.

Pink burgers aren't dangerous...

You know what steak tartar is, right?

MisterR

In terms of my personal gag-factor, that is correct.

Although, if I'm being honest, steak of any type/prepared-ness is really really low on the list of foods I enjoy.

That's because you order it cooked to shoe leather. Try a good medium rare cute of steak. It will certainly change your mind.

Nipo

It would be interesting to see how people who order from a high-end steak house (BLR Prime or something) compare to longhorn. I wonder if the % of welldone would go down when you're paying $75 for a cut.

I mean blue wasn't even an option on this survey and it is obviously the right choice.

Pink burgers aren't dangerous...

You know what steak tartar is, right?

Pink burgers can be dangerous if the kitchen isn't properly clean. Ground meat means all of the meat touches something in the kitchen whereas only the outsides (and maybe a few mm inside of) a steak can only absorb so much bacteria. I only get medium-rare burgers from proper restaurants, never from something like a walk-up or a Dennys

MultiCore

I order prime rib rare. My fillet at Ruth's Chris is ordered rare. The rest depends on the restaurant and my mood, but never more than medium rare.

Try the bone-in fillet at Capital Grill, rare. It's amazing.

____

That's because you order it cooked to shoe leather. Try a good medium rare cute of steak. It will certainly change your mind.

Haha, I always go medium-well. I've had medium rare before and it's just something I'd never do again.

KoopaTheCasual

Pink burgers can be dangerous if the kitchen isn't properly clean. Ground meat means all of the meat touches something in the kitchen whereas only the outsides (and maybe a few mm inside of) a steak can only absorb so much bacteria. I only get medium-rare burgers from proper restaurants, never from something like a walk-up or a Dennys
Yea, I know steaks are pretty insulated from that danger, but I thought because burgers were composite, they were definitely dangerous.

Even hearing that it's only a small chance of getting sick from pink burgers is a revelaiton to me.

Chuckie

So you ask for a medium-well steak, while what you actually want is a well done steak and then proceed to be a dick to the staff for actually giving you what you asked for?
Must be a joy to go to a restaurant with you.

Sami+

Wow lol. I hope you tipped well.

phanphare

Banned

correct

unless I know the place is legit it's always medium well for burgers

Nipo

They just use their old meat for people who order it well done anyway. They were probably amused they got rid of it all on one person instead of having to wait for multiple people to order the chef to ruin a good meal.

bionic77

I always cook my steaks either medium rare or medium well. My wife always makes me make hers well done and they are just too dry when they are well done for my tastes. She just hates the sight of blood or pink in her meat and I want to stay married so I listen to her and cook her steaks the way she wants them to be.

I try to avoid shitty steaks, but I am not sure if they taste any better or worse if you get them rare, medium or well done. I am pretty sure a shitty steak is going to taste shitty no matter how you cook it. As I said I try to avoid garbage steaks but it would be interesting to know what is the best way to cook a garbage steak. I would imagine for shit steaks more then how you cook them it is how you season them that matters. You probably have to fucking put a bunch of sauce or some shit on them for them to be decent.

Well yeah that's true but nothing better than a perfect medium from a place that grinds the meat themselves, which is also the type of place I'd order a pink burger. Does dennys even cook burgers to specific temps? I mean that's why fast food and walk ups only do well done.

Ponn

Banned
You can't like the taste of meat that much if you order it well done.

Yea I do because the idea that a well done steak suddenly miraculously loses all flavor is rubbish. There is nothing like well marbled ribeye grilled well done with the outside fat charred and crispy. And my steak has to be grilled, cannot stand baked or pan fried steak. Pay $100+ for a steak at Ruth Chris and you throw that shit in an oven, fuck outta here with that.

breakfuss

I'd also love to see this broken down by demographics. Don't mean to take it there, but it seems a certain subset of people (at least in my experience) love their roadkill.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Yea I do because the idea that a well done steak suddenly miraculously loses all flavor is rubbish. There is nothing like well marbled ribeye grilled well done with the outside fat charred and crispy. And my steak has to be grilled, cannot stand baked or pan fried steak. Pay $100+ for a steak at Ruth Chris and you throw that shit in an oven, fuck outta here with that.

Yeah its still got flavor, just not a great one.

Im sure they loved you

I hope you didn't have company with you lol

So you ask for a medium-well steak, while what you actually want is a well done steak and then proceed to be a dick to the staff for actually giving you what you asked for?
Must be a joy to go to a restaurant with you.

^

Top Bottom