• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many OLED owners do we have here?

What OLED TV do you Have.

• Lg C6

Votes: 14 3.6%
  • Lg C7

Votes: 38 9.7%
  • Lg C8

Votes: 32 8.2%
  • Lg C9

Votes: 117 29.8%
  • Lg CX

Votes: 119 30.4%
  • Panasonic oled

Votes: 10 2.6%
  • Sony oled

Votes: 31 7.9%
  • Lg B series

Votes: 50 12.8%

• Total voters

Jigga117

LG C9 55 & 77inch here

aHgvmtU.jpg

onFeTqf.jpg

pBjVOSt.jpg

Last edited:

Traxtech

Had a b6 55 inch, now own a B8 65 inch. Can't game on anything else tbh, it just isn't the same.

Now if only they could master the ways of plasma motion resolution we'd be set

Kagey K

Banned
I love my C9 and thought I was going to upgrade my other 2 gaming tvs to the CX but after seeing some stuff online I think I’m going to do end of life pricing on the C9 instead.

(Unless some big deals come up sooner)

Raphael

Guys for those with b9/c9 and og or slim ps4 can you share your settings please on tv and ps4 as well (hdr) ? Love the tv but nioh 2 looks like crap on my new b9. :(

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »
Guys for those with b9/c9 and og or slim ps4 can you share your settings please on tv and ps4 as well (hdr) ? Love the tv but nioh 2 looks like crap on my new b9. :(
Use the rtings setting and nioh don’t look so hot in HDR

LG 55" C8 user here. Best TV I've ever owned so far. I got it for $1,200 last year off of Newegg. Paired it up with 5.1 Klipsh speakers, a Pioneer subwoofer, a PS4 Pro and a 4K Blu ray player. The true home theater experience and quite frankly it looks better than most movie theater screens. The deep blacks and shadows are incredible and the high color output coupled with HDR is amazing. Games like Spiderman, God of War, Uncharted and Death Stranding look borderline real in most cases. It even works great as a 4K PC monitor. I actually played Hell Let Loose on it the one day and it was blowing my mind. Defiitely worth picking one up and definitely better than fake ass QLED's.

I got a 55 C6. I concur: the 3D on these 4K OLED TVs is magnificent, the best I've ever seen. It's actually a better experience than in cinemas because the black levels are so good. It's crazy sharp, colors pop, the passive glasses are the same as in our local cinemas so you can have enough for large groups. Such a shame that 3D died at the exact moment it was perfected for home cinema fans.
Is the C6 the last OLED that they made with 3D functionality?

Flowxrz

Neo Member

Crap in what way?

There should be no need to change anything for HDR. If you haven’t, you should have your black level set to low on PS4 and TV. Also do the HDR adjustment in PS4 settings to make sure it’s set right.

SDR you can play around a bit more until you get the look you want. Don’t strictly listen to people that swear by Rtings. There isn’t a ‘standard’ for games to follow as far as I know, and they don’t do extensive testing on the game side anyway.

Some people use BT.1886 for Gamma in SDR because the image is slightly washed at default, it brings some of the colour back but it’s a bit dark for my liking. I’ve been using Extended Gamut instead of auto personally (BLASPHEMY), though I’ve not tested too many games with it yet.

The game itself could also just look like shit, which you can’t do much about 🤷🏽‍♂️

Last edited:

TheBoss1

I'll join in on this jerk off thread because we are basically the PC master race of Television. We refuse to settle like those LCD peasants.

All jokes aside, I have a 65" E8 and a 49" Sony X900E. The blacks are what make the OLED elite. My Sony looks really good due to the full array back-light, but it can never compete with the OLED.

The next step is either find a way to brighten these sets for HDR purposes or maybe we will have to look forward to micro-LED as a potential savior there.

Last edited:

_Justinian_

Gold Member
55" LG C9. Using it as a monitor right now as I type this message. The best TV I have ever owned.

Will probably never use a monitor for PC gaming again.

nowhat

I ordered a 55" CX and a vertical stand for my Pro last Sunday. Just got a message telling me that my order will be delivered tomorrow.

...and then I realized that for some reason my order was shipped in two parts, it's only the stand I'll be getting. Still no word on the TV. Not that I'm impatient or anything.

Mozza

LG 55" C8 user here. Best TV I've ever owned so far. I got it for $1,200 last year off of Newegg. Paired it up with 5.1 Klipsh speakers, a Pioneer subwoofer, a PS4 Pro and a 4K Blu ray player. The true home theater experience and quite frankly it looks better than most movie theater screens. The deep blacks and shadows are incredible and the high color output coupled with HDR is amazing. Games like Spiderman, God of War, Uncharted and Death Stranding look borderline real in most cases. It even works great as a 4K PC monitor. I actually played Hell Let Loose on it the one day and it was blowing my mind. Defiitely worth picking one up and definitely better than fake ass QLED's.

It should not struggle to look better than most movie theater screens, most are awful looking, my own home cinema offers a far better experience than going to the movies, the main issue with the movie theater is the size of the screen is so large you need at least 4K to make it look half decent, pretty much most of the multi screen theaters in my area are very hit miss as to the picture quality, a top notch OLED T.V should run rings around a movie theater.

Last edited:

Jigga117

What's point in buying 55" CX if it's way more expensive than C9 and lwcks full hdmi 2.1 support?

being full 48Gbps vs 40 only benefits 12bit 4k@120hz when the display among all TVs are 10bit panels.Nothing was loss with the CX series except DTS which some may have issue with. HDMI will still do 10bit 4k@120hz 444. Just need NVIDIA to actually support in their cards

Bartski

Gold Member
Phillips 55POS9002/12.
It's OK, been my main PS4 screen all this gen but I can't recommend it due to serious movement issues and at sub 60 framerates. Getting a C9 next spring when next-gen fully lands.

base

Banned
Phillips 55POS9002/12.
It's OK, been my main PS4 screen all this gen but I can't recommend it due to serious movement issues and at sub 60 framerates. Getting a C9 next spring when next-gen fully lands.
You should do it ASAP. C9 will probably be discontinued pretty soon.

Is the C6 the last OLED that they made with 3D functionality?

The 6 series was the last to support 3D, which is the reason why I HAD to get one. Unfortunately I had to leave it in IL since I didn't feel comfortable transferring it 1400 miles, but my mom really enjoys it now...

I'll join in on this jerk off thread because we are basically the PC master race of Television. We refuse to settle like those LCD peasants.

All jokes aside, I have a 65" E8 and a 49" Sony X900E. The blacks are what make the OLED elite. My Sony looks really good due to the full array back-light, but it can never compete with the OLED.

The next step is either find a way to brighten these sets for HDR purposes or maybe we will have to look forward to micro-LED as a potential savior there.

How much brighter do you want but to be though? There are times when a scene changes and I am absolutely blinded by how bright it is.

dolabla

Do any of you watch 4:3 content? Or play older consoles (that have black bars on the sides) via OSSC or Framemeister on your OLEDS? I will be using mine to play older games (along with watching tv, playing newer consoles) via my OSSC and Framemeister. A lot of those older games do display static elements so I am little worried, but I vary the games I play. I play anywhere from 1-3 hours (at the most).

I mean... I just watched The Stand on BD, which is 4:3. I have an SNES classic hooked up to my TV but I never really play it. Long as you vary your content you will be fine, run pixel refresher if you're ever worried.

TheBoss1

How much brighter do you want but to be though? There are times when a scene changes and I am absolutely blinded by how bright it is.
The blindness you suffer from has more to do with how the human eye works than the brightness itself. Your eyes take time to adjust when suddenly having that change from dark to bright and vice versa. And it's exponentially worse when watching the TV in a dark setting like night time.

The brightness will only help with HDR content. Trust me, it always seem like some things are enough but when you look back you'll wonder how you could ever go back to watching/using older tech. Non-HDR content are almost an eye sore for me because they seem to lack substance visually, whereas in the past it wouldn't have bothered me.

Kagey K

Banned
The blindness you suffer from has more to do with how the human eye works than the brightness itself. Your eyes take time to adjust when suddenly having that change from dark to bright and vice versa. And it's exponentially worse when watching the TV in a dark setting like night time.

The brightness will only help with HDR content. Trust me, it always seem like some things are enough but when you look back you'll wonder how you could ever go back to watching/using older tech. Non-HDR content are almost an eye sore for me because they seem to lack substance visually, whereas in the past it wouldn't have bothered me.
The very first thing that I saw on Netflix and truly saw the difference between HDR and SDR was “Shot in the Dark”

I was only using a Samsung MU6300 when I watched that and was blown away.

HDR is a game changer (even if it’s bad HDR) I can see the shortcuts my Samsung was using to do HDR now that I see the C9, and I still say bad HDR is better then no HDR.

Last edited:

Malcolm9

Might look at picking up a C9 to replace my high end 55" Sony LED from 2017. I was after a 65" but looking how cheap the 55" C9 is, and the fact I can sell my Sony for at least £400, the C9 will end up costing about £650.

I think the upgrade will do me good for 3-4 years at least, where I'll then pick up a 65" tv with HDMI 2.1 etc.

Kagey K

Banned
Might look at picking up a C9 to replace my high end 55" Sony LED from 2017. I was after a 65" but looking how cheap the 55" C9 is, and the fact I can sell my Sony for at least £400, the C9 will end up costing about £650.

I think the upgrade will do me good for 3-4 years at least, where I'll then pick up a 65" tv with HDMI 2.1 etc.
The C9 has HDMI 2.1 now so if you see a deal on the C9 I might not pass it up. Looks like they might start reverting some features in the next few years in order to sell new tvs year over year.

Malcolm9

The C9 has HDMI 2.1 now so if you see a deal on the C9 I might not pass it up. Looks like they might start reverting some features in the next few years in order to sell new tvs year over year.

That's what I'm thinking, then I can pick up a 65" Sony OLED in about 4 years.

Setzer

Going to be picking up a 65" C9 tomorrow from Costco. Last time I had an OLED was the C7 back in 2017 and I only had it for about a month before returning it. I couldn't stand the poor upscaling and posterization when watching non-4k content. I've heard those things have been improved upon in the newer models so I'm looking forward to seeing how the C9 performs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom