• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many OLED owners do we have here?

What OLED TV do you Have.

• Lg C6

Votes: 14 3.6%
  • Lg C7

Votes: 38 9.7%
  • Lg C8

Votes: 32 8.2%
  • Lg C9

Votes: 117 29.8%
  • Lg CX

Votes: 119 30.4%
  • Panasonic oled

Votes: 10 2.6%
  • Sony oled

Votes: 31 7.9%
  • Lg B series

Votes: 50 12.8%

• Total voters

Setzer

OLED is the one and only choice. Until something new come out better than this technology.
I disagree, I think it depends on your situation and what you'll be using it for. Both OLED's and LED's have their advantages for the type of room you're using them in and the content you'll be watching on them and using them for.

Whitecrow

Banned
Guys, are in-store demos anything to go by?
I mean, I just came from the store to take another look to OLEDS but to my impression, everything looked like the brightness was too hight, or HDR not calibrated correctly...

Jigga117

I disagree, I think it depends on your situation and what you'll be using it for. Both OLED's and LED's have their advantages for the type of room you're using them in and the content you'll be watching on them and using them for.
About the only thing I have seen that is somewhat better from Led is brightness. Even then that is questionable. I use my OLED for everything movies, PC, television and consoles and from my experience nothing compares. No more blooming in dark scenes. I can see battle scene in Game of Thrones finale series I couldn’t on my Vizio with artifacts. I go in Game mode and don’t lose any processing compared to QLED that turns what makes the picture look good off for response time. As of this moment specifically to gaming LG OLED is offering the most available options for today and tomorrow PC/consoles

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yeah, my Sony X930E does an amazing job with upscaling any content ≤1080p. Most TVs don't have a good upscaler like Sony's do.
Is it the TV doing the upscaling though? The Xbox One X actually upscales 1080p games really well. PS4 a bit less so.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
About the only thing I have seen that is somewhat better from Led is brightness. Even then that is questionable. I use my OLED for everything movies, PC, television and consoles and from my experience nothing compares. No more blooming in dark scenes. I can see battle scene in Game of Thrones finale series I couldn’t on my Vizio with artifacts. I go in Game mode and don’t lose any processing compared to QLED that turns what makes the picture look good off for response time. As of this moment specifically to gaming LG OLED is offering the most available options for today and tomorrow PC/consoles
I personally wouldn't recommend an OLED for someone who is JUST gaming and more specifically someone playing one specific game. At that point, I'd recommend a cheaper LED.

An OLED is the perfect all around TV for all use. Burn-in is what scares people away, but if you vary the content it pretty much doesn't happen. Some people interpret varying the content as "babysitting the TV" but if the OLED is being used for things like TV, movie watching and gaming, its the best to get. If you're only going to play something like say Fortnite and/or watch Fox News then an OLED is not the best TV to buy.

Jigga117

I personally wouldn't recommend an OLED for someone who is JUST gaming and more specifically someone playing one specific game. At that point, I'd recommend a cheaper LED.

An OLED is the perfect all around TV for all use. Burn-in is what scares people away, but if you vary the content it pretty much doesn't happen. Some people interpret varying the content as "babysitting the TV" but if the OLED is being used for things like TV, movie watching and gaming, its the best to get. If you're only going to play something like say Fortnite and/or watch Fox News then an OLED is not the best TV to buy.
I am personally more worried about a power surge than Burn in. Either case that’s why I have the protection plan. I think it was Vincent who did a burn in test a couple of months ago and ran fortnite for 24 hrs and had image Retention but no burn-in ran pixel refresher and cleared up. I don’t play games for hours on my OLEDs but I don’t sit up worrying about it just because I am playing.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I dont think you understand what I am saying. In most instances the device sending the signal is the device doing the upscaling and not the actual TV. I just want to know if the device you are using is sending out a 1080p signal and the TV is doing the upscaling. For example, both the PS4 Pro and the Xbox One S and X send a 4K signal to the TV, meaning that those devices are doing the upscaling and the TV just assumes it's getting a regular 4K signal. Yes, you can manually force the PS4 and Xbox 1s to send to a 1080p signal, but no one in their right mind would do that.

A Switch is limited to 1080p output, which means the TV will upscale to 4K.

Setzer

I dont think you understand what I am saying. In most instances the device sending the signal is the device doing the upscaling and not the actual TV. I just want to know if the device you are using is sending out a 1080p signal and the TV is doing the upscaling. For example, both the PS4 Pro and the Xbox One S and X send a 4K signal to the TV, meaning that those devices are doing the upscaling and the TV just assumes it's getting a regular 4K signal. Yes, you can manually force the PS4 and Xbox 1s to send to a 1080p signal, but no one in their right mind would do that.

A Switch is limited to 1080p output, which means the TV will upscale to 4K.
And that's why I specifically mentioned Switch games not looking good on the C9 compared to my 930e. Same with watching Satellite on Dish Network. Neither one of those devices are doing the upscaling, the TV is.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I have never seen a 4K TV do a good job upscaling sub 1080p content. That's a limitation of the switch and there is not much you can do.
Yep. I think the C9 does a very decent job with the Switch. Actually, when I first saw Switch games run on a 4K TV, I was honestly impressed by what modern upscalers can do. I swear 1080p TVs from the start of the decade did a poorer job with 480p content.

I'd say usually the in-built apps are the best way to use Netflix/Prime Video/Youtube etc, just because the TV will handle everything itself without you having to make sure the (for example) Xbox is outputting the best/right signal for the TV.

When you say the motion is different in the internal app vs the xbox app are you talking about the exact same content in the same picture mode with the same picture settings? I know this sounds silly but sometimes its the most obvious thing, ie are the motion settings the same on the HDMI input the xbox is on and the internal app's settings? You have different settings for each video input AND the internal apps have their own settings.
I’m talking about the exact same content in the exact same picture mode. I’m using Expert Dark Room for movies, and I have the same settings for this mode on every video input.

I’ll give you a concrete example. At the beginning of The Godfather there’s some scenes with a lot of people dancing. I’ve watched this movie on Amazon Prime Video.
With the webOS app that comes pre-installed with the C9, those scenes are very blurry if I don’t have TruMotion on. When I turn on TruMotion (I set it to “Clear”), though, the movement looks very natural, except with very fast scenes and in stuff like flames, which do look excessively smooth.

When I run the same scenes from the Prime app on XBoxOneX, the movie looks grainier, but I find the dancing scenes much better in motion, less blurry and not needing smoothing. Then again, if I turn on TruMotion in this instance, even with the same settings as I’d use on the webOS app, the soap opera effect is immediately noticeable.

I’ve watched these scenes (and others in different movies) very closely to evaluate stutter and blur, so I’m definitely sure that there’s a difference between movies running on the pre-installed apps and movies running on the same apps, but from external sources.

Jigga117

Yep. I think the C9 does a very decent job with the Switch. Actually, when I first saw Switch games run on a 4K TV, I was honestly impressed by what modern upscalers can do. I swear 1080p TVs from the start of the decade did a poorer job with 480p content.

I’m talking about the exact same content in the exact same picture mode. I’m using Expert Dark Room for movies, and I have the same settings for this mode on every video input.

I’ll give you a concrete example. At the beginning of The Godfather there’s some scenes with a lot of people dancing. I’ve watched this movie on Amazon Prime Video.
With the webOS app that comes pre-installed with the C9, those scenes are very blurry if I don’t have TruMotion on. When I turn on TruMotion (I set it to “Clear”), though, the movement looks very natural, except with very fast scenes and in stuff like flames, which do look excessively smooth.

When I run the same scenes from the Prime app on XBoxOneX, the movie looks grainier, but I find the dancing scenes much better in motion, less blurry and not needing smoothing. Then again, if I turn on TruMotion in this instance, even with the same settings as I’d use on the webOS app, the soap opera effect is immediately noticeable.

I’ve watched these scenes (and others in different movies) very closely to evaluate stutter and blur, so I’m definitely sure that there’s a difference between movies running on the pre-installed apps and movies running on the same apps, but from external sources.
TV reviewers have already identified this very thing. It has always been an issue when it comes to source material. It is always best to plug directly to the tv to device. It has been recommended to use the internal apps vs external apps because you not introducing addition processing that happens the more devices you have between the tv and source.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Is the output of The Godfather on the XB1X Prime app definitely also 24hz, like the WebOS Prime app version of the film? The only thing I think could be happening is that the Xbox's app version of the film is either not 24hz, or the Xbox is doing some sort of interpolation to the video? I don't even think it can do that though tbh.

I'd say the output being grainier is down to the XB1X upscaling the movie from 1080p to 4K, instead of the TV's internal scaler, as happens with the built-in app. Although that also makes no sense if the movie a 4K version.

I'm a bit stumped on this one. If the motion is different I think there must be a difference of motion settings somewhere in the chain, let me know if you find out more information. Something fishy here.

Silly question, but I'm looking to purchase the LG C9 at some point this year for console gaming and Netflix streaming. When the new consoles hit and games are released with 90/120fps, will this set be a good choice? I do play lots of Street Fighter(so low input lag is important) , but I don't think it would be enough to cause burn in along with everything else.

JCK75

I was so close to getting one, but my son hogs the TV and will leave shitty youtube videos paused for hours as he starts playing something on his tablet when I'm not around and to be honest I feared for the potential burn in issues he might cause.

Ulysses 31

Silly question, but I'm looking to purchase the LG C9 at some point this year for console gaming and Netflix streaming. When the new consoles hit and games are released with 90/120fps, will this set be a good choice? I do play lots of Street Fighter(so low input lag is important) , but I don't think it would be enough to cause burn in along with everything else.
Seeing how the UE5 demo ran at 30 fps, it's doubtful that AAA games will have a 90/120 fps mode. Mainly visual novels and retro looking indi games will have that option.

Jigga117

Seeing how the UE5 demo ran at 30 fps, it's doubtful that AAA games will have a 90/120 fps mode. Mainly visual novels and retro looking indi games will have that option.
That demo is not a basis to say what the capability will be for any system but was just that a tech demo.

Skyr

I was so close to getting one, but my son hogs the TV and will leave shitty youtube videos paused for hours as he starts playing something on his tablet when I'm not around and to be honest I feared for the potential burn in issues he might cause.
On my C9 pausing something automatically triggers the screensaver as long as you use the TV built in apps like YouTube, Netflix, Spotify etc.
It’s entirely safe that way.

Last edited:

Jigga117

Buy him or have him work for his own tv lol

Ulysses 31

On my C9 pausing something automatically triggers the screensaver as long as you use the TV built in apps like YouTube, Netflix, Spotify etc.
It’s entirely safe that way.
Dunno if I'd call it safe, burn in is still building up, just a (much?) slower rate.

carlosrox

Banned
I am this close to deciding whether or not I want an LG C9 which would be a massive upgrade from my very very dated and cheap 60 inch SHARP LED.

I am very picky about black levels and image retention/burn-in.

Can LG C9 owners have any info on that?

Jigga117

I am this close to deciding whether or not I want an LG C9 which would be a massive upgrade from my very very dated and cheap 60 inch SHARP LED.

not one post here is going to be able to make you feel comfortable about burn in because you got people that have been using OLED for years with different models or the same model. The overall experience has been majority have not had an issue because of education and technology helping. It’s funny that people worry about this but anytime any part of the day your tv can get hit with a power surge and either kill your HDMI ports or the tv overall. In any case regardless of any display that’s why they offer protection plans for just in case situations so you don’t worry about it. At the end of the day shit happens and the easiest way to avoid burn-in is to not leave your tv on a static image on the same channel or game all day long. Vary how you use it. Just like anyone else basically uses a tv normally.

I can tell you that it is the best displays I have personally owned so far.it satisfies my tv, movie and gaming options all rolled into one.

Last edited:

Keihart

If you are going from LED to OLED, any decent one it's gonna be a game changer when comparing blacks. It's really noticeable.

J3nga

Just got my first OLED TV LG C9, any tips on burn-in prevention? Or is the whole burn-in thing exaggerated and I'm fine as long as I'm not gaming 8h or more per day and not having any static pictures on the screen?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
that’s what screensaver looks like on the lg oleds

I LOVE that feature. If for some reason you have to step away from OLED and are gone longer than expected, it will display that so that the image is not static.

Very nice feature.

Jigga117

Just got my first OLED TV LG C9, any tips on burn-in prevention? Or is the whole burn-in thing exaggerated and I'm fine as long as I'm not gaming 8h or more per day and not having any static pictures on the screen?
You can game as long as you want just change your content out just like changing a channel on tv. The internal apps have a screensaver. I keep my desktop with a black screen on my pc and screensaver on after 1 minute. Been using the 55c9 since Feb and 77in for a month now. Use the tv normally turn it off when not in use.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Just vary the content. Burn in CAN happen, but you really have to be careless to make it happen. I use my OLED to play games, watch movies and there is no image retention whatsoever. I have put in LONG gaming sessions with static HUD elements and it's a non-issue.

Stuff that you can do that is not really necessary, but may give you piece of mind:
1. In games that have static huds, see if you can alter the hud, change places on the screen.

It's not necessary, but if it gives you peace of mind then I am all for it.

Last edited:

Jigga117

I LOVE that feature. If for some reason you have to step away from OLED and are gone longer than expected, it will display that so that the image is not static.

Very nice feature.
I wish it would work for HDMI ports as well. But my cable box has a screensaver Xbox doesn’t it just dims

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I wish it would work for HDMI ports as well. But my cable box has a screensaver Xbox doesn’t it just dims
What would be even better is if there was a button on the remote that you can press and the screen turns completely black or goes to a screensave, but doesn't shut it off.

J3nga

You can game as long as you want just change your content out just like changing a channel on tv. The internal apps have a screensaver. I keep my desktop with a black screen on my pc and screensaver on after 1 minute. Been using the 55c9 since Feb and 77in for a month now. Use the tv normally turn it off when not in use.
Just vary the content. Burn in CAN happen, but you really have to be careless to make it happen. I use my OLED to play games, watch movies and there is no image retention whatsoever. I have put in LONG gaming sessions with static HUD elements and it's a non-issue.

Stuff that you can do that is not really necessary, but may give you piece of mind:
1. In games that have static huds, see if you can alter the hud, change places on the screen.

It's not necessary, but if it gives you peace of mind then I am all for it.
Thanks guys.

spookyfish

LG 65E6. Bought it for the passive 3D. Such an amazing piece of tech, and very beautiful. My kids love animated films, and they really pop on it, whether 4K or 3D. I have a *little* bit of banding on gray backgrounds, but you have to look really hard to see it.

TheBoss1

What would be even better is if there was a button on the remote that you can press and the screen turns completely black or goes to a screensave, but doesn't shut it off.
There is a way to do this and will take 2 more seconds than just a simple button press. Hold down the mic button on the remote and say "turn off the screen". It will countdown for 5 seconds then turn off the screen alone. You can test this by having something with sound playing then follow the instructions I shared. I do this all the time, especially if I'm listening to music.

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »
I’m moving into a house in a couple of week and the seller is giving me is wall mount do you think it will fit on a LG CX 65”
rCpWDHt.jpg

Clarissa

Banned
How many of you use Dynamic Tone Mapping for

1) HDR Video games
2) Watching HDR content?

I read that HGIG applies to newer games. But I've tried HGIG on Resident Evil 3 Remake and it looks exactly the same as Dynamic Tone Mapping OFF.

Tried HGIG on Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order and HGIG looks exactly the same as Dynamic Tone Mapping OFF.

So what's the deal with HGIG?

For TV content, I flip flop between DTN on and off. I feel dynamic tone mapping off looks better but I can't help but feel I'm missing out on the brightness if I don't turn dynamic tone mapping on.

LG C9 user here.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Question... there is a sale on here and the LG B9 is 1199 euro and the C9 is 1499 euro. (both 55")

Which should I go for? I heard the only real difference is that the C9 is brighter... is that true?
If I saved the 300 it would go to other stuff in my man cave (WIP).

Jigga117

Question... there is a sale on here and the LG B9 is 1199 euro and the C9 is 1499 euro. (both 55")

Which should I go for? I heard the only real difference is that the C9 is brighter... is that true?
If I saved the 300 it would go to other stuff in my man cave (WIP).
Just pull up YouTube and b9vsc9 and you should get an idea which way to go. It might just be minimal. I know it uses previous os version than the current version of the C9 as well. Also I think motion is better on C9

Venuspower

1) HDR Video games

On my C9 I prefere using DTM for games. As long as they do not support
HGiG. But it all depends on your own taste. If you do not like feel free to turn it off.

2) Watching HDR content?
Yes and no. If I am watching UHD Blu-Rays with my UB820 I am using
the Panasonic HDR Optimizer. That is why I turned off DTM in these cases.

If I am watching HDR Content on other platforms (YT etc.) I prefere to use DTM aswell.
But again: If you do not like the effect turn it off.

So what's the deal with HGIG?

You have to make sure that the game you want to play supports HGiG.
At this moment in time I only know about Modern Warfare (2019) and No Man's Sky that are supporting
HGiG.

To understand what HGiG on LG OLEDs is doing:
- Dynamic Tone Mapping: On => With this feature on the TV tone maps the content on a frame by frame/scene by scene basis
- Dynamic Tone Mapping: Off => The TV will use static Tone Mapping
- HGiG On: The TV will turn off the entire Tone Mapping system on the TV. This way the TV fully relies on the Tone Mapper of the Console.

Because the TV turns off all Tone Mapping algorithms you want to make sure that your game supports HGiG.
Otherwise the TV hard clipping will be introudiced by the TV, thus causing some details to be lost.

Here is a pretty good example what HGiG is doing when a game does not support HGiG:

As you can see in the sky you are losing details around the sun and some clouds.

Last edited:

Clarissa

Banned
That explains why HGIG has no effect for FF7R, Remake 3 and Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order.

Thanks for the detailed explanation, @Venuspowerl

Top Bottom