• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many OLED owners do we have here?

What OLED TV do you Have.

• Lg C6

Votes: 14 3.6%
  • Lg C7

Votes: 38 9.7%
  • Lg C8

Votes: 32 8.2%
  • Lg C9

Votes: 117 29.8%
  • Lg CX

Votes: 119 30.4%
  • Panasonic oled

Votes: 10 2.6%
  • Sony oled

Votes: 31 7.9%
  • Lg B series

Votes: 50 12.8%

• Total voters

Ulysses 31

So did the latest CX firmware update address the 30 fps judder in game mode as seen here(watch on YT itself or full screen instead of the embedded video)?

Kuranghi

Is the Q95T worth the 900 euro price difference compared to Q90R? I can almost buy a extra B9 oled for that wich cost 1000 euros now. Its soo hard to pick the right tv, never thought i would struggle to choose a tv.

Buy the Q90R, the zone reduction on the Q95T removes one of the two reasons to buy a Samsung in the first place. Its crazed to pay 900 euros extra for a worse TV, spec-wise.

If you watch movies on it then get the OLED though.

Kuranghi

So did the latest CX firmware update address the 30 fps judder in game mode as seen here(watch on YT itself or full screen instead of the embedded video)?

Its actually stutter I believe, not judder.

Everytime I answer this question people shout at me lol so I'll let rtings.com answer it this time:

I recommend the whole video, but the part I've linked is the OLED-relevant part. I dislike OLED stutter, I prefer smoother motion, even if its "blurry"/has trails/bleeding, it just looks better to me. I have an 65AF9 and a 65ZD9.

Its so confusing for general consumers lol even in the video he is like "In a perfect world, we'd have instant pixel response", but he also says "This means on OLED that 24/30hz content will have a strong stutter so maybe some motion blur is required to make it look "smooth"", which for games means, if it doesnt have motion blur you are screwed and if its a movie you need to apply motion interpolations/"smoothness", which will introduce artifacts even on the best motion systems that exist. 😬

Last edited:

Jigga117

Everytime I answer this question people shout at me lol so I'll let rtings.com answer it this time:

I recommend the whole video, but the part I've linked is the OLED-relevant part. I dislike OLED stutter, I prefer smoother motion, even if its "blurry"/has trails/bleeding, it just looks better to me. I have an 65AF9 and a 65ZD9.

Its so confusing for general consumers lol even in the video he is like "In a perfect world, we'd have instant pixel response", but he also says "This means on OLED that 24/30hz content will have a strong stutter so maybe some motion blur is required to make it look "smooth"", which for games means, if it doesnt have motion blur you are screwed and if its a movie you need to apply motion interpolations/"smoothness", which will introduce artifacts even on the best motion systems that exist. 😬

This video from 3 years ago is not today’s C9 and CX so this isn’t relevant with my C9 77/55. No stutter issues from any consoles or PC

Kuranghi

This video from 3 years ago is not today’s C9 and CX so this isn’t relevant with my C9 77/55. No stutter issues from any consoles or PC

Its not a debate lol its inherent to the technology, I'm not trying to offend your TV mate, the ghosting/image duplication is caused by the camera.

What motion settings do you use on your C9(s)?

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Buy the Q90R, the zone reduction on the Q95T removes one of the two reasons to buy a Samsung in the first place. Its crazed to pay 900 euros extra for a worse TV, spec-wise.

If you watch movies on it then get the OLED though.
Already got the C9 last week, and im more than happy. Wish it could get litlle brighter but outside that amazing picture quality and colors. And i can't wait to try 4K 120hz 4*4*4 when RTX 3 series comes out. But thnx for the reply

Ulysses 31

Yeah but the confusing thing is that both Samsung and LG call the setting De-Judder to enable motion interpolation to get rid of it... 👀

Ulysses 31

Already got the C9 last week, and im more than happy. Wish it could get litlle brighter but outside that amazing picture quality and colors. And i can't wait to try 4K 120hz 4*4*4 when RTX 3 series comes out. But thnx for the reply
I'm still trying to get used to the lower brightness, I'm so used to things almost glowing when bathed in light. >.>

Kuranghi

Awesome mate, you won't regret it. Try these on it, play them on the internal youtube player for 4K + HDR but you can also run them in your PC browser and get a not-small benefit from downsampling from 8K, the 3D effect of the 12K one at 8K downsampled is a sight to behold, super 3D and you can perfectly make out the taxis:

Ulysses 31

Stuttering is still present on CX, whether you find it an issue is a different matter.

I was pleasantly surprised that stuttering wasn't as bad as my 2016 OLED. :lollipop_grinning:

Kuranghi

Yeah but the confusing thing is that both Samsung and LG call the setting De-Judder to enable motion interpolation to get rid of it... 👀

Oh yeah I know, they make it hard for everyone to understand by being so obtuse (manufacturers in general). Should be called "Smoothing" or "MCFI" imo.

Kuranghi

I don't know if where you live the shops are open, but somewhere with an OLED next to an LCD, both playing 24hz content will instantly show you the difference in motion. Thats with all the motion settings turned off.

I'm not saying OLED motion is bad, I just know it has downsides, just like the LCD I own has smearing/bleeding. Some advantages, some disadvantages.

OLED has downsides but the upsides (per-pixel dimming so no blooming, viewing angle is way better) are so game-changing that most people don't care about the downsides.

Everytime I point this out OLED owners attack me, I believe in giving a balanced opinion based on all the factors, thats all.

Kuranghi

I must have shown nearly around 500 people this clip of Spiderman, its 24hz:

I showed them the same clip with the motion smoothing on (sometimes with BFI as well) and then with it off (and vice versa to make sure it wasn't just the first thing they liked) and I'd say 80-90% of people HATED it without smoothing, thats just my experience with OLED motion and 24hz content. Your average joe can't see motion artifacts generally but they definitely CAN see OLED-stutter.

Buuut, this super low PRT means that retro/low res games look freaking amazing on OLED. SNES/Genesis emulation on the 77C9 must look amazeballs. Or something with super high contrast, textureless graphics like Antichamber.

Jigga117

Its not a debate lol its inherent to the technology, I'm not trying to offend your TV mate, the ghosting/image duplication is caused by the camera.

What motion settings do you use on your C9(s)?
No offense taken just that majority of my time I play games that are 60fps or higher between my and the games I do play that are known to be 30 has been smooth. This was an issue with my 2015 Vizio before switching to the C9

Kuranghi

No offense taken just that majority of my time I play games that are 60fps or higher between my and the games I do play that are known to be 30 has been smooth. This was an issue with my 2015 Vizio before switching to the C9

Oh yeah no worries. 60hz looks brilliant for me, no complaints there.

Do you use motion smoothing? That would definitely lessen the stutter effect for 24/30hz content.

Also, if you don't find it a problem then you are winning anyway.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member

Yup, that’s OLED motion with sub-60fps content. My friends with LED TVs immediately understood what I had been saying to them about OLED motion when I showed them something similar.

It’s just the way it is. At 60fps everything works as intended, but anything lower than that looks stuttery and it can be hard to focus on stuff during camera movements in games.

Jigga117

Oh yeah no worries. 60hz looks brilliant for me, no complaints there.

Do you use motion smoothing? That would definitely lessen the stutter effect for 24/30hz content.

Also, if you don't find it a problem then you are winning anyway.
Yes but trying to think what content I play that would require 30hz or below which is why I don’t see it. I also know some people are more sensitive to this than others.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
I'm still trying to get used to the lower brightness, I'm so used to things almost glowing when bathed in light. >.>
Yup, miss that bright pop when bright scenes happen.
Awesome mate, you won't regret it. Try these on it, play them on the internal youtube player for 4K + HDR but you can also run them in your PC browser and get a not-small benefit from downsampling from 8K, the 3D effect of the 12K one at 8K downsampled is a sight to behold, super 3D and you can perfectly make out the taxis:

Yeah i watched some clips from the Youtube app with 4K 60fps HDR Dolby Vision and they looked insane. You realy see the difference between sdr and hdr there.

Jigga117

Console games capped at 30 fps? Video signal is still 60 Hz though.
Key part of that is what I PLAY not what games in general. I got a Xbox One X before the C9. The games I play run at 60 and then there is my PC that games that are 30 I am playing 60 or above on it. Ass Creed O and Division 2 being 30 and as a matter of fact Division 2 I do play PC and Xbox One X and don't experience stutter in that game on my X at 30fps and I play that religiously.

Grinchy

Banned
My brother decided to buy a LG CX. He got it earlier today. He has me do all the settings/calibration for him on this stuff since it always feels overwhelming to him.

While getting him all set up, to get on game mode with HDR so I could change the settings, I just used Tetris Effect on PS4 Pro since it would be a fast download and a game with minimal loading. Holy fuck! It was melting my god damn face off in the most delightfully painful way ever. This TV looks god damn amazing and that game really shines with its HDR (no pun intended).

What he didn't tell me was that to thank me for coming over and helping him install the mount and getting him all set up, he was sending me back home with his KS8500 for free :messenger_fire::messenger_fire::messenger_fire:. So we both got nice upgrades today.

I'm getting more and more annoyed by the insane amount of popups LG WebOS makes me suffer.
Do you want to add this streaming app as fav #3? you cannot do anything for minute while we show you this popup, you can only accept or wait it out...
Selecting any channel in the GUIDE, this channel lacks preview OK/CANCEL. Why the fuck do I need to care about this preview every single time i go between any channel in the Guide?
Doesn't remember any setting you do for any channel. AI my ass.
Land on a Scrambled channel accidentally... you have half second to select another, or you will get a popup. Channel is Scrambled OK/CANCEL. select either one and you have half a second to select another channel before you get this glorious popup again.

Don't remember this kind of popup BS on my previous Sony TV.

That said Liking everything else on my 77C9.

Jigga117

I'm getting more and more annoyed by the insane amount of popups LG WebOS makes me suffer.
Do you want to add this streaming app as fav #3? you cannot do anything for minute while we show you this popup, you can only accept or wait it out...
Selecting any channel in the GUIDE, this channel lacks preview OK/CANCEL. Why the fuck do I need to care about this preview every single time i go between any channel in the Guide?
Doesn't remember any setting you do for any channel. AI my ass.
Land on a Scrambled channel accidentally... you have half second to select another, or you will get a popup. Channel is Scrambled OK/CANCEL. select either one and you have half a second to select another channel before you get this glorious popup again.

Don't remember this kind of popup BS on my previous Sony TV.

That said Liking everything else on my 77C9.
I don’t experience any pop ups outside of turning the tv on and I got an update for my apps. I went in and customized my app list on both my 55&77c9.

V2Tommy

I wish we could all stop talking about stutter. It's a problem with sample-and-hold display technologies with fast pixel response. Not LG's fault you're all used to blur between frames from shitty TVs.

Ulysses 31

I wish we could all stop talking about stutter. It's a problem with sample-and-hold display technologies with fast pixel response. Not LG's fault you're all used to blur between frames from shitty TVs.
LG OLED stutters more than Samsung QLED!!!!11!!!!

It's absolutely a legitimate issue to bring up when choosing a new TV though. :lollipop_grinning:

Last edited:

V2Tommy

Doesn't OLED generally have less banding and dirty screen effect than LCD? 👀

Oh, by far.

But I'm coming from a plasma(s). Their uniformity is perfect in every color, every brightness. 5% grey uniformity or lower on OLED is some nasty shit. Lots of content (especially HDR games) will show the issues, so OLED owners that are also OCD have to roll the dice between banding, DSE, dead pixels or color tinting. There is no perfect display, but a 4K plasma sure would be nice!

LCD TVs have double the issues, but at half the price. That's the tricky part.

Last edited:

McHuj

Picked up a 65A8H. Fantastic TV, best picture I've ever seen. But I'll never game on it, this is strictly for movies and show. Too scared off burn-in.

Jigga117

Lucky you...
:lollipop_crying:
Have you tried to start the tv from scratch and see if a setting was missed that caused it. I am not at home for lunch yet maybe I can see what i did that does not ever I recall this happening. I have only had the 55 since Feb and the 77 since June.

Ulysses 31

Yeah, especially when you're used to QLED brightness. >.>

OLED light goes on 100, if I don't really need the brightness I put energy saving on auto. :lollipop_grinning:

Last edited:

V2Tommy

Yeah, especially when you're used to QLED brightness. >.>

OLED light goes on 100, if I don't really need to brightness I put energy saving on auto. :lollipop_grinning:

And the HDR Game mode automatically turns OLED Light to 100 no matter what, so there's that. I also used Energy Saving = Auto for SDR Game preset. It was perfect.

TJC

Just recently purchased a 65 C9, Wow what a TV, TLOU2 I was half way through on my old TV and I had to start a new game when it arrived. Can't want to play Ghost's of tshumina on it.

Kuranghi

Just came to lay down a wreath for my friend's AF9/A9F, he had a party and someone smashed the screen... please say a few word for G's OLED.

*out of tune trumpet plays*

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Didn't Vizio come out with a $1300 OLED? Wonder how it compares now that LG has a market to share with some competition finally.

Yup, that’s OLED motion with sub-60fps content. My friends with LED TVs immediately understood what I had been saying to them about OLED motion when I showed them something similar.

It’s just the way it is. At 60fps everything works as intended, but anything lower than that looks stuttery and it can be hard to focus on stuff during camera movements in games.
I'm in the market for a new TV for next-gen consoles and had no idea about this issue. You think variable refresh rate will help this? LG CX is on my short list for now, but at the end of the day, the potential for burn-in keeps me at bay. I'm really looking forward to TCL's Vidrian tech and hope they make a 55'. Also, I'm keeping an eye out on Vizio for their latest quantum X lineup. As long as they don't sacrifice the dimming algorithm in game-mode.

Ulysses 31

I'm in the market for a new TV for next-gen consoles and had no idea about this issue. You think variable refresh rate will help this? LG CX is on my short list for now, but at the end of the day, the potential for burn-in keeps me at bay. I'm really looking forward to TCL's Vidrian tech and hope they make a 55'. Also, I'm keeping an eye out on Vizio for their latest quantum X lineup. As long as they don't sacrifice the dimming algorithm in game-mode.
I went with an LG CX and while miss the burn in piece of mind and brightness of QLED, the fact that there's no foto's of C9/CX with burn in so far leads me to believe that the burn in threat has greatly been reduced with these models. Personally I found the input lag with tru motion still low enough to play 30 fps games with. :lollipop_grinning:

Only thing you can't do much about is the auto brightness limiter unless you get a service remote and turn it off with that.

Jigga117

Get a protection plan for any tv you get for these prices and for OLED like Best Buy that covers burn in. Every tv and electronic device is susceptible to surges.
In the last two weeks I have been in multiple homes for cable service and each customer had surge damage from cable boxes, modems and TVs. Some on surge protectors some not.

Top Bottom