• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many OLED owners do we have here?

What OLED TV do you Have.

• Lg C6

Votes: 14 3.6%
  • Lg C7

Votes: 38 9.7%
  • Lg C8

Votes: 32 8.2%
  • Lg C9

Votes: 117 29.8%
  • Lg CX

Votes: 119 30.4%
  • Panasonic oled

Votes: 10 2.6%
  • Sony oled

Votes: 31 7.9%
  • Lg B series

Votes: 50 12.8%

• Total voters

Ulysses 31

Come Sat I will be the proud owner of a CX.

Cannot fucking wait. I have wanted much improved blacks for years and years and years.
Really depends where you're coming from, for me going from high end QLED to OLED didn't yield dramatic improvement in black levels. 👀

Jigga117

So you know better than the LG engineers? "pie_tears_joy:

It's a preventive measure sure but LG takes it serious enough to offer the free fix.
Again even if this wasn't the case it would still be covered. Same as why you buy insurance for a car. Not about to have them change anything on my 2 month old tv that has no problems vs some individual coming out to crack open that 2 month old device and my luck something is wrong. Yeah I am good :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Ulysses 31

Again even if this wasn't the case it would still be covered. Same as why you buy insurance for a car. Not about to have them change anything on my 2 month old tv that has no problems vs some individual coming out to crack open that 2 month old device and my luck something is wrong. Yeah I am good :messenger_tears_of_joy:
So just say you're taking the risk of possible overheating sometime in the future and that you're insured anyway. :messenger_ok:

To say it's not happening is false certitude on your part. :p

I doubt this is a scheme of LG to keep their repairmen busy. :lollipop_grinning:

Even if the overheating isn't serious enough that it damages the screen at first, it still degrades other TV components as well meanwhile.

Last edited:

Jigga117

So just say you're taking the risk of possible overheating sometime in the future and that you're insured anyway. :messenger_ok:

To say it's not happening is false certitude on your part. :p

I doubt this is a scheme of LG to keep their repairmen busy. :lollipop_grinning:

The same risk everyone takes buying any electronic device and can have a power surge happen and they don't buy an extended warranty/service plan yes. Not sure whats difficult to grasp about that but everyone takes that same chance on anything they buy. My fv is not overheating today. EVEN if it was I was covered either way. Again this shouldn't be hard to grasp. Never claimed anything your pointing out about knowing more than LG engineers or a scheme. My point about a repairman coming out and accidently breaking something else for a prevention of the part about overheating. No I can afford to chance it overheating and if it does guess what? Thats a new CX 2020 model or newer if this was to happen because we are at the end of the cycle of the C9s no longer available and I am able to step up to the latest model with minor or no cost of upgrade which is another benefit to the performance plan. So PLEASE let my shit overheat because I will be good in the end with a new tv :messenger_winking_tongue:

NanaMiku

Hi, I just bought 55 B9 last year. I was hesitating between B9 and C9 because from what I saw is not that different in spec and reviews but the price difference is too big for me (and the stand is too long for my table)

Ulysses 31

The same risk everyone takes buying any electronic device and can have a power surge happen and they don't buy an extended warranty/service plan yes. Not sure whats difficult to grasp about that but everyone takes that same chance on anything they buy. My fv is not overheating today. EVEN if it was I was covered either way. Again this shouldn't be hard to grasp. Never claimed anything your pointing out about knowing more than LG engineers or a scheme. My point about a repairman coming out and accidently breaking something else for a prevention of the part about overheating. No I can afford to chance it overheating and if it does guess what? Thats a new CX 2020 model or newer if this was to happen because we are at the end of the cycle of the C9s no longer available and I am able to step up to the latest model with minor or no cost of upgrade which is another benefit to the performance plan. So PLEASE let my shit overheat because I will be good in the end with a new tv :messenger_winking_tongue:
It's not the same if LG points out that this extra risk can happen, otherwise why would LG announce it? It's certainly not good PR. :p

You don't want to be inconvenienced with possible bad repair men, up to you. No need to pretend that it won't ever happen to you like you did earlier. LG saying it can happen has a heck of a lot more weight than you saying it won't.

This angle you're playing now that you don't mind overheating because you'll get a cheap upgrade to newer models is dubious since generally you shouldn't let things overheat, especially with electronics.

Jigga117

It's not the same if LG points out that this extra risk can happen, otherwise why would LG announce it? It's certainly not good PR. :p

You don't want to be inconvenienced with possible bad repair men, up to you. No need to pretend that it won't ever happen to you like you did earlier. LG saying it can happen has a heck of a lot more weight than you saying it won't.

This angle you're playing now that you don't mind overheating because you'll get a cheap upgrade to newer models is dubious since generally you shouldn't let things overheat, especially with electronics.

??? how is it possible after 3 post now you keep saying what I am not and your not doing a good job interpreting what I think other than it seems to argue just to argue. I am not speaking for anyone else decisions just like I don't care what console or tv brand you prefer at the end of the day. I am saying AGAIN I am not worried about something that was possible with a 2 month old display. I am not letting anything overheat just like the previous models going back to 2016 those individuals didn't let their devices if they did overheat. It if it happens it happens I am covered that is the definition of insurance. It is called "peace of mind"

The whole "cheap" upgrade blame that shit on Best Buy. It is the whole point of Square Trade and Geek Squad protection plans so if something happens 4 years from now I was still covered. Even if I did get this fixed tommorow to prevent this 1 problem vs multiple problems that can happen. Seriously how is this a hard thing to get.

JbmSw9L.gif

You know what else is funny about this whole exchange is that your so concerned about my stance about this but before I saw this the other day I was just thinking shit 2016-2020 and who has had this issue. Even though they recognize it it must be a rare thing to happen because if anything all the focus has been is burn-in burn-in burn-in. So I am not worried about this 1 issue for that reason and that I was already covered as much as this for some reason keeps having to be pointed out.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

??? how is it possible after 3 post now you keep saying what I am not and your not doing a good job interpreting what I think other than it seems to argue just to argue. I am not speaking for anyone else decisions just like I don't care what console or tv brand you prefer at the end of the day. I am saying AGAIN I am not worried about something that was possible with a 2 month old display. I am not letting anything overheat just like the previous models going back to 2016 those individuals didn't let their devices if they did overheat. It if it happens it happens I am covered that is the definition of insurance. It is called "peace of mind"

The whole "cheap" upgrade blame that shit on Best Buy. It is the whole point of Square Trade and Geek Squad protection plans so if something happens 4 years from now I was still covered. Even if I did get this fixed tommorow to prevent this 1 problem vs multiple problems that can happen. Seriously how is this a hard thing to get.

JbmSw9L.gif

You know what else is funny about this whole exchange is that your so concerned about my stance about this but before I saw this the other day I was just thinking shit 2016-2020 and who has had this issue. Even though they recognize it it must be a rare thing to happen because if anything all the focus has been is burn-in burn-in burn-in. So I am not worried about this 1 issue for that reason and that I was already covered as much as this for some reason keeps having to be pointed out.
You don't seem to get that I was commenting on your "anything that isn't happening". I took it as "overheating isn't happening to me ever" which I found it presumptuous on your part. You brought up the not minding overheating in a later post.

I'm talking in general where you don't want to risk electronics overheating, you're making it about you and your use case and how you even might stand to gain from it. o_O

Companies don't make recalls on a whim, it costs them money so when a company makes a recall or offer free repairs, it would be wise to take them up on it. If you feel you're not risking anything in your situation then ignore the previous sentence, simple. :goog_horns:

You mention several times that something could go wrong with the repairs, shouldn't you in your situation be excited for that since I assume sure those problems would fall under warranty too. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Jigga117

You don't seem to get that I was commenting on your "anything that isn't happening". I took it as "overheating isn't happening to me ever" which I found it presumptuous on your part. You brought up the not minding overheating in a later post.

I'm talking in general where you don't want to risk electronics overheating, you're making it about you and your use case and how you even might stand to gain from it. o_O

Companies don't make recalls on a whim, it costs them money so when a company makes a recall or offer free repairs, it would be wise to take them up on it. If you feel you're not risking anything in your situation then ignore the previous sentence, simple. :goog_horns:

You mention several times that something could go wrong with the repairs, shouldn't you in your situation be excited for that since I assume sure those problems would fall under warranty too. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:
That’s your problem that you took it as “ever” why are you assuming anything and even then it does
Not
Matter
If I said ever because it is covered either way. That’s what you don’t grasp. So like you said I if I am not risking anything or worried( which brings us back to my original post) I am good. Wow. I can make it about me and my uses case because I only speak for ME as I have also stated in my previous post. I see you seem to skip over and just ready to keyboard the shit out your response and answering what I already said. Brah let it go LMAO

Ulysses 31

That’s your problem that you took it as “ever” why are you assuming anything and even then it does
Not
Matter
If I said ever because it is covered either way. That’s what you don’t grasp. So like you said I if I am not risking anything or worried( which brings us back to my original post) I am good. Wow. I can make it about me and my uses case because I only speak for ME as I have also stated in my previous post. I see you seem to skip over and just ready to keyboard the shit out your response and answering what I already said. Brah let it go LMAO
When you say "that isn't happening" without any time indication then it might as well read as "that isn't happening ever". o_O

Dunno why you keep bringing up your insurance which is irrelevant to the general point I was making, taking LG up on their possible overheating fix. You feel you're in a situation where it doesn't matter to you then don't have LG fix anything, simple. :messenger_ok:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I've pretty much decided on the 55CX at £1,699

I've been so hesitant because of burn in. I'm in the UK and John Lewis offers an additional warranty which says it covers burn in. As far as I'm aware this is the only place will offer protection against it. I was originally gonna buy it from Curry's. JL offers a standard 5 year warranty on their TVs and for an extra £140 you get accidental damage/burn in coverage for 5 years.

I was really wanting a 65" TV but it's £1,000 more. 48" I feel wouldn't be much of a difference over my 42" TV.

Now it's just a matter of ordering it. I have the money ready but I have never spent this kind of money on a TV before so I'm quite nervous lol the most I've ever spent for a TV is £580. I'm in no rush as long as I get the TV before Xbox releases.

• LOL
Reactions: MrS

Ulysses 31

Man, I'd love to see a 77-inch in person. That's just insane. The 65 inch was already surprisingly heavy. Even the delivery guys were complaining and then I had to do most of the lifting myself to get it on the stand and stuff. The 77 must be massive lol
It's heavy alright, especially with the stand but the 2020 QLEDs are even heavier. 👀

Ulysses 31

Get the LG C9 or CX.

One of my friends wanted to get a new TV. Recommended him the CX and he's in love with it.
He should look at the differences between the C9 and CX and get the cheaper and brighter C9 if he doesn't care about the newer features.

Reactions: MrS

Kokoloko85

Is there any Sony and samsung ones with 2.1?
Whats the deal with them. Online theres argument Its not real HDMI 2.1?

Right now first choice is either the LG and Vizio lol. Really wanna get one before next gen starts

Jigga117

He should look at the differences between the C9 and CX and get the cheaper and brighter C9 if he doesn't care about the newer features.
That C9 is getting scarce. I know some sizes not being in stock to be an option. The time is now to grab it if you going to get it.

Ulysses 31

Right now first choice is either the LG and Vizio lol. Really wanna get one before next gen starts
The high end Samsung QLEDS from 2019 and 2020 have 1 HDMI 2.1 port, thought only the 8K from 2020 is 48 Gbps.

Jigga117

Samsung models have one HDMI 2.1 I believe most only come with 1 HDMI 2.1 port. This may or may not be an issue for some. Vizio is coming out with models with two HDMI 2.1 ports. All 2019 and 2020 LG OLED models have 4 HDMI 2.1 ports(except the 2020 BX models they have 2). One of the reasons I got the C9 was because of the he amount of ports available for my PC and plan for Seris X/PS5. You may also be referring to HDMI ports that say 48Gbps or 40Gbps. There is no issue when it comes to this difference. All the TVs mention are 10bit displays. An HDMI 48Gbps is beneficial for only 12bit 444 4k@120hz. 40Gbps is all that’s needed to push 10bit 444 4k@120hz.

Last edited:

bodine1231

I just splurged on a 77" CX this weekend,amazing amazing monitor. Having Gsync on a TV with 120hz is ridiculous.

I also own a 65" B7 and a 55" B8.
(selling them if anyone near Louisiana can pick up)

Ulysses 31

I just splurged on a 77" CX this weekend,amazing amazing monitor. Having Gsync on a TV with 120hz is ridiculous.

I also own a 65" B7 and a 55" B8.
(selling them if anyone near Louisiana can pick up)
I found the auto brightness limiter a bit too aggressive to use the CX as a full time monitor personally. :lollipop_confounded: :lollipop_confounded:

Kokoloko85

Samsung models have one HDMI 2.1 I believe most only come with 1 HDMI 2.1 port. This may or may not be an issue for some. Vizio is coming out with models with two HDMI 2.1 ports. All 2019 and 2020 LG OLED models have 4 HDMI 2.1 ports(except the 2020 BX models they have 2). One of the reasons I got the C9 was because of the he amount of ports available for my PC and plan for Seris X/PS5. You may also be referring to HDMI ports that say 48Gbps or 40Gbps. There is no issue when it comes to this difference. All the TVs mention are 10bit displays. An HDMI 48Gbps is beneficial for only 12bit 444 4k@120hz. 40Gbps is all that’s needed to push 10bit 444 4k@120hz.

I think Ill be ok with just one 2.1 for now, use it for the PS5 I guess. But then again it might be useful to have more than 1.
My PC isnt that strong and mostly used for older games.

Whats the story with Sony OLED and HDMI 2.1? Is it only the xh90 series that had OLED?
But there not OLED is it? Was looking for OLED with HDMI 2.1.

Also how important is VRR and what Tv’s have it? I basically havent looked at TV tech for ages lol

Last edited:

base

Banned
Same as any other model/manufacturer.
Not entirely. Some LCDs aren't that expensive (comparing 55vs65). In this case (C9) the 55" cost me around 1200 euro in February. 65" costs around 2100-2200. That almost two times. LOL

J3nga

Not entirely. Some LCDs aren't that expensive (comparing 55vs65). In this case (C9) the 55" cost me around 1200 euro in February. 65" costs around 2100-2200. That almost two times. LOL
Bought 55 C9 in June for 1200 also, 65 was/is 1700. Samsung's Q90R for instance is almost 1400 euros for 55 inch and 2000 euros for 65 at the moment. So yeah, for the most part +10 inches are significantly more expensive unless you find some deals.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Is There a website you guys recommend where I can catch up with Tv tech.
My bro told me hdmi 2.1 has nothing to do with it the tv can or cant do 4k 120fps?

Is there any Sony OLED’s that can do 4k 120fps VRR? Or what I thought was needed 4k and HDMI 2.1 or planned to be released before November?
Thanks

Jigga117

Is There a website you guys recommend where I can catch up with Tv tech.
My bro told me hdmi 2.1 has nothing to do with it the tv can or cant do 4k 120fps?

Is there any Sony OLED’s that can do 4k 120fps VRR? Or what I thought was needed 4k and HDMI 2.1 or planned to be released before November?
Thanks
Your brother is incorrect.

Jigga117

Not entirely, a TV can have HDMI 2.1 and not have VRR, ALLM, etc and the TV panel can still be 60 Hz.
Nothing to do with the statement of his brother. HDMI 2.1 is needed for 4k@120hz due to the bandwidth of 40Gbps alone. A couple of weeks ago we mention the very thing about displays having 2.1 with some or none of the features in this thread or another I remember.

Top Bottom