• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many OLED owners do we have here?

What OLED TV do you Have.

• Lg C6

Votes: 14 3.6%
  • Lg C7

Votes: 38 9.7%
  • Lg C8

Votes: 32 8.2%
  • Lg C9

Votes: 117 29.8%
  • Lg CX

Votes: 119 30.4%
  • Panasonic oled

Votes: 10 2.6%
  • Sony oled

Votes: 31 7.9%
  • Lg B series

Votes: 50 12.8%

• Total voters

Ulysses 31

Nothing to do with the statement of his brother. HDMI 2.1 is needed for 4k@120hz due to the bandwidth of 40Gbps alone. A couple of weeks ago we mention the very thing about displays having 2.1 with some or none of the features in this thread or another I remember.
Nop, HDMI 2.0 can do 4K@120Hz. :lollipop_grinning:

If his bro also said 10 bit HDR then he'd be wrong for sure. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Kokoloko85

Im guessing my surround sound system needs to be hdmi 2.1 so that it carries over?
Not sure what the right term is lol.

Im planning on getting a sound system too, maybe £200-300 max. Nothing too fancy but an upgrade from my usual 2 speakers and subwoofer for when I get the LG and next gen console.

carlosrox

Banned
Just got the LG CX (65 inch) and

OH. MY. GOD.

The blacks are so black you can't even tell when the TV is on sometimes!

I checked out the Typhlo Ruins in BOTW and that is one of the best tests of perfect blacks I've ever seen!

TLOU2 and RDR2 also look incredible.

My dream has come true and I have finally seen perfect blacks!

(not to mention the contrast and color is also absurdly good)

Last edited:

base

Banned

OH. MY. GOD.

I checked out the Typhlo Ruins in BOTW and that is one of the best tests of perfect blacks I've ever seen!

Praise the Lord!

Ulysses 31

OH. MY. GOD.

Which TV did you move from?

Going from high end QLED to OLED wasn't a dramatic improvement for me. :lollipop_grinning:

tommycronin

Is there a big difference between the LG OLED B9 and C9? I'm coming from a 55inch Samsung standard 4ktv so anything will be an upgrade for me. I'm thinking of getting the B9 65inch if it goes on sale.

MrS

Banned
Is there a big difference between the LG OLED B9 and C9? I'm coming from a 55inch Samsung standard 4ktv so anything will be an upgrade for me. I'm thinking of getting the B9 65inch if it goes on sale.
Get the C9. The processor is better. The processor in the B9 is the one that powered the 2018 line so it's "older tech" than what's in the C9. This article explains it better than I can.

Last edited:

tommycronin

MrS MrS Ulysses 31 Ulysses 31 So let's say for just future proof reasons for next gen would I be better with the C9 over the B9? Is there any other big differences from the lighting and processor that will be better off in long run for me?

MrS

Banned
MrS MrS Ulysses 31 Ulysses 31 So let's say for just future proof reasons for next gen would I be better with the C9 over the B9? Is there any other big differences from the lighting and processor that will be better off in long run for me?
Not particularly. They're both good but C9 is better which is reflected by the price. C9 or B9 will see you through next gen. If you really want to future proof yourself though, the best way to do that is buying the CX, which is the newest model, as that's now getting updates which won't be coming to the B9 or C9 i.e. the latest FreeSync Premium patch.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Hey, OLED owners. Check out the inky blacks of my LED LCD.

IIvqaq6.jpg

carlosrox

Banned
Starting my second game of TLOU2 on the LG CX 65 and oh man it looks sooooo much better.

I can't believe it looks better than it already did.

Jaw dropping. Can't wait to replay this all over again with this TV, it's gonna be great.

I love my LG C8 (77"), but sometimes it seems like the picture isn't shaky during quick pans. Is there a particular option or set of options I should try turning on? I have all of the post-processing options off currently.

Wanna get the LG CX48" OLED TV before PS5, but found like 4 different versions. Which is the better one for gaming? Thanks if anyone knows.

FrankWza

For someone who is just jumping into OLED, 4k and hdr. What do you guys recommend to watch after i play around with the settings. I have netflix and HBO go. Is streaming alright enough vs blurays?

Heard aquaman is alright? Havent seen it at least.
Depends on the apps. Netflix Dolby vision is pretty nice and Amazon 4K is decent. Disney + too. Max doesn’t offer this. Dolby vision compatible 4K uhd player with an atmos audio system is phenomenal

CthulhuPL

Lg B8 55" here and my first oled. I'll never get back to lcd especially to samsung tvs. They are shit in terms of quality.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Badly want to upgrade my 82" Samsung QN8F, buttttt 77" is just wayyyy too small and hte 85" OLED's are still $30k. :(. Wonder when we'll see them at sub 10k

Nydus

Like others have said: the c9 is better but more expensive. Here in Germany it is impossible to find a new c9 anymore for a good price. The CX is over 2000€ when it's on sale and the BX is a piece of shit. I went with the B9, coming from a B7, since I got it for 1400€ (65 inch). Between Pixel 4a, PS5 pre-order and a RTX 3080, the cash I could save with the B9 was too good and the improvements of the C9/CX not substantial enough when not compared side by side.

But like Vincent Theo said,if you can comfortably stretch to the C model, do it. If you want/must save money: the B9 ist still a very good TV.

FrankWza

Has anyone bothered with any calibration on a CX?

Because I’ve done fuck all, and it still looks amazing. Tsushima is ridiculous. Even Dark Souls 3 looks worlds better.

I have a c9 and I use differently calibrated settings depending on content. 2 ultra for movies and tv 2 gaming and 2 regular content

Ulysses 31

Because I’ve done fuck all, and it still looks amazing. Tsushima is ridiculous. Even Dark Souls 3 looks worlds better.
Yes, SDR brightness is lacking on default settings and on HDR games I changed a couple of things too to get more brightness and color pops back.

Maybe I'm tainted my Samsung's color science they use on their QLEDs. :lollipop_grinning:

FrankWza

1 big thing
Yes, SDR brightness is lacking on default settings and on HDR games I changed a couple of things too to get more brightness and color pops back.

Maybe I'm tainted my Samsung's color science they use on their QLEDs. :lollipop_grinning:
1 big thing was to lower the brightness and turn up the OLED light. Otherwise on letterbox movies or content the black bars look a little washed and not true black. I think the magic number is 48 on the brightness

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned

I used the Disney WOW calibration blu ray. I got it for like $20 brand new at some point and Ebay has tons of them for cheap. I have no idea why it's $250 on Amazon...

It seems to be the next-best thing to hiring a professional.

Ulysses 31

1 big thing

1 big thing was to lower the brightness and turn up the OLED light. Otherwise on letterbox movies or content the black bars look a little washed and not true black. I think the magic number is 48 on the brightness
Is that still the case with the CX? How much did you lower it? I kept it at 50.

FrankWza

Is that still the case with the CX? How much did you lower it? I kept it at 50.

put on a letterbox bluray. Start ticking down from 50. If it goes from greyish to black it’s still a thing.
Edit sorry if that came off sarcasm I typed it quick. I’m at 47 or 48 I think

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned

OH. MY. GOD.

BLACK!!

hollams

Gold Member
Had an LG C8 65 and just got an LG CX 77 and the screen size difference is bigger than I thought it would be. I'm sitting around 10-11 feet away and it's amazing. Now I just need to get that 3080 and wait for my eARC adapter since my receiver doesn't support eARC currently.

Got a 65 c9 recently for 1900 us.

mostly for 4K and HDR. The Oled wasn’t the main.

Im really impressed and kinda shocked how much the image quality change from an always lcd user.

Every time I go to the stores I stop at tv section, they look so nice, but after many lcds I had this idea that all those nice TVs are using super high definition files made for stores, so it doesn’t matter what u get, at home will look awful. (Last lcd was lg, around 1600 us and meh)

Well... hello Oled, it feels like I bring the store to home, it’s look awesome. Another world 🌎.

that’s my review.

Jigga117

There are different versions of the CX 48" inch for different regions, the only difference is pre-installed stuff, streaming services I think.
I am aware of different models for countries I don’t know why by one would ask about a version that is not their county which is why I didn’t point it out.

Top Bottom