• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many sexual partners for girls is too many?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has it occurred to you, maybe due to the dozens of posts to this effect, that many people want their partner to be serious about sex and want a committed meaningful relationship before intimacy?
What a person previously did doesn't invalidate this. Consider the OP's situation: he's concerned about the number being high even though this couple has been together for a couple of months already.

Has it occurred to you, maybe due to the dozens of posts to this effect, that many people want their partner to be serious about sex and want a committed meaningful relationship before intimacy?

I listed the attitudes cited in this thread which high promiscuity is indicative of in that post of mine you quoted.

I said nothing about amount of sex, neither did anyone else.

And again I must ask you what makes you think someone who's had some casual sex encounters is incapable of a committed meaningful relationship? People in committed relationships cheat quite often. They're not really indicative of being faithful either.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I want to date a girl who is as disinterested in sex as I am, so I'll say that more than 0 is too many, myself included! PM me, anhedonic cuties (´ε` )

Pop

I personally wouldn't date or have sex with anyone with that many partners before the age of 24. Just tells me imo that she can't keep a relationship, she looks for new dick quite often and shes way too easy. 30 probably meant 60 for all I know

ZaCH3000

I wouldn't be surprised if frequent sex actually made a woman's vagina tighter because thats what happens to muscles when they get their fitness on.

way more

It's kind of hard to tell in this thread when phrases like "DISGUSTING AND WHORISH" are being thrown around without a hint of irony.

Truth. It amazes me how gaffers still correlate being beautiful with being a good person. It must be a side-effect of obsessing over Disney/Pixar.

ATF487

And one more than I if I'm married, engaged or dating.

This was gonna be my answer.

To be completely honest though, I do view promiscuity negatively, but it's for both sexes. There's no magical number that tips the scales, it's just a general feeling that sex and the things that come with it are pretty intimate and you shouldn't just do it with anyone that's up for it.

And again I must ask you what makes you think someone who's had some casual sex encounters is incapable of a committed meaningful relationship?
No one said anything about being incapable; I said not requiring such a relationship is a feature many people find undesirable in itself.

People in committed relationships cheat quite often. They're not really indicative of being faithful either.
Commitment not indicative of faithfulness, very nice. I suppose having a job is not indicative of working, either?

I personally wouldn't date or have sex with anyone with that many partners before the age of 24. Just tells me imo that she can't keep a relationship, she looks for new dick quite often and shes way too easy. 30 probably meant 60 for all I know
She's already lasted 2 months with this guy.

Is there some scientific study that links prior promiscuity to infidelity?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I said nothing about amount of sex, neither did anyone else.

So, what... the first time with a new partner does some sort of mystical and catastrophic damage?

BadAss2961

30+ dudes at 24 is definitely a lot. Not the best reason to break up with someone you like though.

Guess he doesn't like her all that much.

No one said anything about being incapable; I said not requiring such a relationship is a feature many people find undesirable in itself.

But why would they? You're not really digging beneath the surface.

Commitment not indicative of faithfulness, very nice. I suppose having a job is not indicative of working, either?

Commitment is not indicative of the ability to be faithful any more so than casually fucking is. If someone continually cheats through their relationships how is that more respectable than someone who is simply casually fucking people? It's all about intent. The person casually fucking would surely make me less suspicious than the person who couldn't maintain monogamy. Get it now?

This was gonna be my answer.

To be completely honest though, I do view promiscuity negatively, but it's for both sexes. There's no magical number that tips the scales, it's just a general feeling that sex and the things that come with it are pretty intimate and you shouldn't just do it with anyone that's up for it.

Then stop having any kind of intimacy with women you aren't married to. If you value intimacy so highly, surely you don't want to devalue anyone you're with.

I'm sorry, I don't feel like restating my previous posts. Please read the rest of what I wrote if you're interested.

"I've talked myself into a corner."

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Truth. It amazes me how gaffers still correlate being beautiful with being a good person. It must be a side-effect of obsessing over Disney/Pixar.

If the recent whining over the cover of Rolling Stone is any indication, then it's a side-effect of being American.

Snowman

So judging by her numbers, she should be looking for a new dude or has already find one.

This is a weird thing to say, people don't want the same things forever, and what if he's the guy who made her think "you know what, I want a committed and long term relationship with this dude"

It's funny that men who value a woman being with as few people as possible never count themselves. Like they aren't going "shit, I can't have sex with you, it steals some of your value as a person."

But why would they? You're not really digging beneath the surface.
Because it suggests a casual attitude to a matter that for them is serious.

Commitment is not indicative of the ability to be faithful any more so than casually fucking is. If someone continually cheats through their relationships how is that more respectable than someone who is simply casually fucking people? It's all about intent. The person casually fucking would surely make me less suspicious than their person who couldn't maintain monogamy.
Being in a committed relationship is not proof of faithfulness, but it's implied. That is why casual sleeping around is indicative of casual attitude towards sex - which gives reason to suspect similar standards to fidelity - and why being in a committed relationship before engaging in intimacy is indicative of faithfulness. Neither is proof of fulfilling the respective criterion, obviously, but either behavior justifies suspecting the indicated attitude.

Get it now?
I'll appreciate not being talked down to, thank you.

"I've talked myself into a corner."
"I have nothing to say to you, but I feel like making fun of you." Very boring.

She's already lasted 2 months with this guy.

Is there some scientific study that links prior promiscuity to infidelity?

Promiscuity doesn't correlate to infidelity, but I could see how someone might correlate it with getting bored of relationships easily, and how that person might prefer someone who has been in a string of long-term, monogamous relationships (which would result in a lower number of sexual partners).

Infidelity shouldn't enter into the equation.

akira28

I was driving down the street, and I saw this relatively attractive, but still obviously school age girl jogging down the street in really tight clothes. So I do a scan and every man in every car in the road around me was checking her out. And it got me to thinking. How young are girls when they notice they're getting checked out by every man on the street? And how would that affect them? Like their expectations of human interaction.

Derwind

Mistress Material = +5 number of sexual partners, roleplays Sherlock in the bedroom(Safe word/phrase is "Watsons gimp leg") and looks like a cross between Zoe Kravitz & Jeniffer Lawerence.

Marriage Material = Chaste and vanilla in bed....

GAF dropping the life lessons on me, where would I be without you guys. =)

PM me if you fit the top description ;)

Why is sex considered less serious if you don't do it in a long term relationship? Who gets to make that call?

Being in a committed relationship is not proof of faithfulness, but it's implied. That is why casual sleeping around is indicative of casual attitude towards sex - which gives reason to suspect similar standards to fidelity - and why being in a committed relationship before engaging in intimacy is indicative of faithfulness. Neither is proof of fulfilling the respective criterion, obviously, but either behavior justifies suspecting the indicated attitude.

Previous relationships on their own imply nothing unless you dig deeper. Someone who has had a string of bad ones doesn't come out ahead of someone who was fucking casually if your priorities are a well adjusted person whom you can get along with.

Then stop making stipulations that are rendered false by looking outside of the vacuum you seem to be arguing in.

Dude Abides

Banned

"I have nothing to say to you, but I feel like making fun of you." Very boring.

I don't think the bolded really follows.

TAJ

If you're so darned serious about sex, then shouldn't you have intimacy before you do it?
Oh, that's right... you're using a word without even knowing what it means.

ATF487

Then stop having any kind of intimacy with women you aren't married to. If you value intimacy so highly, surely you don't want to devalue anyone you're with.

False dichotomy bro.

Getting to know someone for a few weeks/months doesn't need to mean marriage. But I don't like one night stands so I'm an asshole, right?

commedieu

Banned
Promiscuity doesn't correlate to infidelity, but I could see how someone might correlate it with getting bored of relationships easily, and how that person might prefer someone who has been in a string of long-term, monogamous relationships (which would result in a lower number of sexual partners).

Wouldn't adults be discussing this? Relationship goals that they both have.

Its a shit ton of speculation when you just judge a person based on a number. And absolutely none of their current standings with you, as OP's friend likes the relationship, and the girl. Why isn't that the direction to go towards? If hes uncomfortable with 30, he should talk to her about his concerns. Of course she will probably leave him, for having the concerns, but at least it will be a learning lesson for him, and she can move on in a healthy relationship without judgement.

When I start dating a girl I just assume she has banged dudes, and I prefer to not know any specifics beyond that.

**This is normal**

King Boo

lol in my "general evolution" class we talked about this sort of thing. the professor asked out loud, "how many is too many for you guys?" after everyone laughed, he told us how some people in science believe that the promiscuous women flourished more than the more tame ones and that is one of the reasons why our species grew to such a large number.

and then he lamented that his wife done it with way more people than him.

way more

I was driving down the street, and I saw this relatively attractive, but still obviously school age girl jogging down the street in really tight clothes. So I do a scan and every man in every car in the road around me was checking her out. And it got me to thinking. How young are girls when they notice they're getting checked out by every man on the street? And how would that affect them? Like their expectations of human interaction.

In Tina Fey's book she says she was at a women's workshop and when they were asked to describe the first time they felt like a women everyone said "the time some guy shouted out his car NICE TITS!"

Sai-kun

Banned
Mistress Material = +5 number of sexual partners, roleplays Sherlock in the bedroom(Safe word/phrase is "Watsons gimp leg") and looks like a cross between Zoe Kravitz & Jeniffer Lawerence.

Marriage Material = Chaste and vanilla in bed....

GAF dropping the life lessons on me, where would I be without you guys. =)

PM me if you fit the top description ;)

PMed
to ask if i can watch

Jopie

Anything greater than 0 before marriage is a sin.
But no, honest answer, if there are no std's then ther is no problem.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
24? And she's fucked 30 plus? HAHAHAHAHAHA

Get the fuck out of here gaf. I swear to god you guys over think this shit. Not only would I not enter a relationship with her I wouldn't fuck her with your dick.

There will be a #33 and a #34 while you're still currently #32.

And before PC gaf gets all up in my ass, it works both ways. Any dudes with that kind of a tally before having their insurance rates drop off is not to be fucked with.

Sai-kun

Banned

Get the fuck out of here gaf. I swear to god you guys over think this shit. Not only would I not enter a relationship with her I wouldn't fuck her with your dick.

And before PC gaf gets all up in my ass, it works both ways. Any dudes with that kind of a tally before having their insurance rates drop off is not to be fucked with.

lmao

Sounds like someone needs to get laid.

Orayn

I bet she even has sharp knees. ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING!

Also you're kind of making wild assumptions about someone's entire personality and lifestyle based on a single number and nothing else. That's unwise.

Snowman

So you don't think that people change? Or that people might just act differently when they're in a relationship than when they're not?

The fact that she's being honest about how many would probably be more telling about her intentions for me than the actual number.

akira28

she's in love with the dick, not you. you are just the means to an end...the end of your dick. And you'll just have to let her ride you cowgirl, knowing that all she wants from you is cock. And then one day...she'll leave you in the cold. Cold and alone and crying on your front steps.

TAJ

I banged someone who'd hit #30 at 23, and her specific situation was that she'd had four relationships of about 1.5 to 2 years each, with about a guy every couple weeks in between. No cheating. But hey, keep assuming.

Why is sex considered less serious if you don't do it in a long term relationship? Who gets to make that call?
Because without the context of commitment, there is no long term thinking and no considerations of responsibility towards the partner beyond "I won't give you an infection or get you pregnant so I don't necessarily have to see you again" involved.

Previous relationships on their own imply nothing unless you dig deeper.
I wasn't talking about necessary implications, I was talking about indications toward attitude, which is a relative term.

Then stop making stipulations that are rendered false by looking outside of the vacuum you seem to be arguing in.
Maybe you can point out that "vacuum" instead of being condescending?

He really thinks that someone casually fucking implies infidelity in a future monogamous relationship. It doesn't really hold up.
I didn't say that, I was talking in relative terms all the way. Don't put words in my mouth.

If you're so darned serious about sex, then shouldn't you have intimacy before you do it?
Oh, that's right... you're using a word without even knowing what it means.
I think it was obvious I was talking about physical intimacy. Anything to contribute but the ol' switcheroo?

Infidelity, I don't know, but higher divorce rates do correlate with high promiscuity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom