• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors: new official website update (June 26) [Up: full-size screenshots]

L~A

Oh oh, Nintendo of Europe tweeting about the game:

In #HyruleWarriors on #WiiU you'll be able to play as Lana and Agitha of Twilight Princess fame. #Zelda

BrEJVLPIQAEhqIS.jpg:large

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
That's the problem, there aren't a lot.

Ganondorf and Groose I could see, but I really can't think of anyone else. Ghirahim could sorta be okay, but a big part of his character is how creepy he is. (Which I wouldn't want them to change, if they include him.)
He can be creepy when he wants to be but overall he prefers to present himself as fabulous as possible.

Mix DLC costume (i.e. Twilight Princess) Link with the normal costume (Hyrule Warriors) Link, and you have what Link should have looked like for the next Zelda game.

L~A

Nintendo put some screenshots on Facebook: find them here!

It's the same as those from the official website, though.

Lana is sorceress with a deep knowledge of spells, monsters, and using spells on monsters. She's very energetic and ready to give the war for Hyrule everything she's got. Lana and Cia have an unspoken hostility, even beyond the normal anger that war brings out. Lana is fiercely determined to put a halt to Cia's plans, even at the cost of her own life or happiness. Don't underestimate Lana just because she's usually so optimistic! Her natural athletic energy serves her well and allows her to quickly dive around her enemies and attack with her book of sorcery, which utilizes electrifying spells that her enemies never see coming.

Agitha is the self-proclaimed princess of the insect kingdom, late of the Era of Twilight. Agitha keeps a bright smile on at all times and looks at the world through a sweeter lens than her allies. But just because she's so cheery doesn't excuse her from battle!
Agitha’s parasol is her standard weapon, though her real strength resides in the bugs she summons forth in times of need, such as a giant beetle or a magnificent butterfly. Never underestimate the power of an insect princess!

Last seen as the boss of the City in the Sky from Twilight Princess, Argorok is a powerful Twilit Dragon enhanced by a Mirror Shard from the Mirror of Twilight. His entire body is covered with hard armor, giving him extremely high defense. Surprisingly, he has a far higher bit of intelligence compared to the usual dragons that fly around Hyrule, shown mainly with his tactic of attacking from a vantage point high above the battlefield where normal soldiers can't reach him.

Zant is the usurper king of the Twilight Realm. Once Cia used the Gate of Souls to open a portal to his era, Zant was free to continue his shadowy misdeeds in Hyrule and beyond.

He may look rather calm at a first glance, but his true nature is very frantic. He will go into fits of hysteria once he’s driven into a corner or doesn’t get his way. Dual-wielding scimitars is Zant’s style, allowing him to swing wildly about or dash with intent toward his enemies. He also possesses a great deal of magical attacks, so approach him with extreme caution.

TWILT

Banned
Oh wow TP costumes? Bought.

There's quite a bit of TP in this game, but hey, I'm not complaining my 2nd favorite Zelda gets this much love. :p

RiggyRob

Nintendo put some screenshots on Facebook: find them here!

It's the same as those from the official website, though.

Zant is the usurper king of the Twilight Realm. Once Cia used the Gate of Souls to open a portal to his era, Zant was free to continue his shadowy misdeeds in Hyrule and beyond.

He may look rather calm at a first glance, but his true nature is very frantic. He will go into fits of hysteria once he’s driven into a corner or doesn’t get his way. Dual-wielding scimitars is Zant’s style, allowing him to swing wildly about or dash with intent toward his enemies. He also possesses a great deal of magical attacks, so approach him with extreme caution.

RIP Toon Ganondorf.

Regarding the character roster discrepancies.

Part of the reason Omega Force was able to throw so many characters into the early DW titles is because of all the shared/similar move-sets. This is especially noticeable in titles like DW2 and DW6 (which are generally considered the lowest points of the DW series). There were a lot of clones or a lot of sword or spear users. The most recent DW entry has unique move-sets for every character, unique specials, and well..just a whole lot more uniqueness.

Of the anime warriors entries, only Gundam has a comparable roster to DW. One-piece and Fist of the North Star are very character-centric. There's no sword and spear move-sets to clone to help pad the roster. Still, Omega Force has managed to nearly double the roster for One Piece and FotNS in their respective sequels.

Another thing to consider is that Three Kingdoms has tons of legendary heroes to put into DW games (and Omega Force loves throwing fantasy characters in there as well). There are a bazillion Gundam shows/movies/OAVs to pull playable mechs & pilots from. One Piece as a ways to go I guess but FoTNS is tapped out (there were the two series and um...they were both covered in the second game).

Where that leaves Hyrule Warriors is anyone's guess. There are a ton of Zelda games to pull characters from. With Agitha making the playable cast I figure there's no limits on who Omega Force could pick. After all IIRC in TP all she did was run a shop of some sort and give a bug-hunting quest. Still though everyone looks to have (possibly multiple?) completely unique move-sets. That's quite the undertaking.

It's kinda nuts that Omega Force can put out so many entries in the Warriors franchise a year. Thankfully Koei/Tecmo has Team Ninja to assist in developing Hyrule Warriors.

EDIT: Maybe Hyrule Warriors will get a spear-user.

Taker666

TiLMEN doesn't know shit.

I'd say he does in this regard. Considering he's one of the only people who records in 60fps and was at a NOE event in the last few days and released a bunch of other 60fps content from the event....

...plus the other main source of 60fps videos is Gamershyde and while all their other Nintendo E3 showfloor vids are 60fps, Hyrule Warriors is only 30fps.

Still ...considering how bad the first trailer was in regards to framerate, 30fps is a marked improvement.

L~A

It's been a while since I played Twilight Princess, I remember Zant mainly using magic attacks.

He actually uses several attraks. He certain uses some swords at one point.

@L~A:
Where did you find the English character profiles? I want to translate them into German and need a source. :)

It's on Facebook, there's the link in the same post.

I'd say he does in this regard. Considering he's one of the only people who records in 60fps and was at a NOE event in the last few days and released a bunch of other 60fps content from the event....

...plus the other main source of 60fps videos is Gamershyde and while all their other Nintendo E3 showfloor vids are 60fps, Hyrule Warriors is only 30fps.

Still ...considering how bad the first trailer was in regards to framerate, 30fps is a marked improvement.

Yeah, no. Guy used to publish "1080P HD SUPER QUALITY!!!" videos of.... 3DS game, so nah. Not that I don't believe the game is 30fps, just that I'd wait for a much more reliable source.

TreIII

Regarding the character roster discrepancies.

Part of the reason Omega Force was able to throw so many characters into the early DW titles is because of all the shared/similar move-sets. This is especially noticeable in titles like DW2 and DW6 (which are generally considered the lowest points of the DW series). There were a lot of clones or a lot of sword or spear users. The most recent DW entry has unique move-sets for every character, unique specials, and well..just a whole lot more uniqueness.

Of the anime warriors entries, only Gundam has a comparable roster to DW. One-piece and Fist of the North Star are very character-centric. There's no sword and spear move-sets to clone to help pad the roster. Still, Omega Force has managed to nearly double the roster for One Piece and FotNS in their respective sequels.

There's another detail that I think is worth adding on to, though. Hokuto and ESPECIALLY OP were both games that had quite a bit more in the way of moveset variety (for a Musou title, in any case). You wanted Warriors games that further diverged from the usual "Square+..........+Triangle" mold and added on more interesting aspects to make the individual characters more unique? You got it. But that came at the price of a more modest roster.

I don't have a problem with a smaller roster for Zelda Musou (especially if this is likely going to be the first game in a series). But I'm hoping that also means that they put more work than usual to make every character/moveset play uniquely. So far, it looks like Zelda Musou takes a lot after OP, so I'm remaining positive, so far.

Big One

Banned
So reading the character descriptions, it looks like Cia has the power to travel through time, hence why things like the Twilight Realm and presumably Skyloft as seen in that official art are in the game.

Mesoian

I wasn't really hoping for different abilities, just costumes. Not sure how I feel if I have to buy the different incarnations of Link though.

Well, it's Namco, they could be cool or they could make us pay in DLC. Time will tell, though I'd probably expect everything to be obtainable via in game currency.

Anteo

hmmmm...

So this is more like an Orochi Warriors situation? Instead of just making it's own universe with own rules and timeline and stuff? Maybe it is non canon in the same way the Prime games are non canon

DedValve

Banned
Twilight Princess Zelda? Maybe I'll actually use zelda now. Seriously queen zelda is probably the worst rendition of zelda yet. TP looks amazing.

TP link looks weird however. Like he doesn't fit.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I'm guessing that Gate of Souls is the purple gate we see behind Cia in her first screenshots and that's the plot device that serve the purpose of explaining why every character imaginable is gonna be featured in Hyrule Warriors.

Valga is already shown to be brandishing a spear.
Ohhh yeah.
Looks like he fits the "Lu Bu" role too.

Not that happy that Twilight Princess is getting all of the love while my favorite Zelda games (Wind Waker, Link's Awakening, Skyward Sword, Majora's Mask, well there is the moon) don't seem to be getting much at all :(

Deku/Goron/Zora Link would be a huge addition. They've probably got it hidden away somewhere.

Not that happy that Twilight Princess is getting all of the love while my favorite Zelda games (Wind Waker, Link's Awakening, Skyward Sword, Majora's Mask, well there is the moon) don't seem to be getting much at all :(

Beth Cyra

Again it's to be expected that they would pimp the games that have done the best (OoT/TP), and we still have plenty of time for the others.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Yeah, no. Guy used to publish "1080P HD SUPER QUALITY!!!" videos of.... 3DS game, so nah. Not that I don't believe the game is 30fps, just that I'd wait for a much more reliable source.

Well, he posted a video playing Hyrule Warriors at NoE. So you can check for yourself. Usually when he has 60 fps footage he does the trick with playing the youtube video at 2x speed. He might not be the greatest source, but he played it.

Oh oh, Nintendo of Europe tweeting about the game:

eh why are they using #Zelda as the hashtag

they are not going to market this game as hard as TK is pushing in Japan are they

#HyruleWarriors use it, let people know it is coming, leak some stuff before Tecmo Koei sheesh

Anteo

I'm guessing that Gate of Souls is the purple gate we see behind Cia in her first screenshots and that's the plot device that serve the purpose of explaining why every character imaginable is gonna be featured in Hyrule Warriors.

So why didnt they just made it an alternate universe where all these characters are alive at the same time. No need for a door then.

I can't wait to see the non-cute characters

there are many strange and fugly characters in he Zelda Universe

this game has had only attractive playables so far

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I have a weird hutch that Lana might be important aspect of the story. The stone on her hairs is just strange. I wonder if it's a time stone or something like that, or she could change into weapons or so?

Top Bottom