• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I <3 Pozole! What's your favorite Mexican food?

• Thread starter Deleted member 8095
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

flyover

chuckddd said:
While I love posole, I only have it around Christmas. Heavens to mergatroid, radishes? on your posole? wtf?

Since I live in NM and eat something with chile on it or in it pretty much every day, I'm going to vote for the best damn burger ever made, the green chile cheeseburger at the Owl Cafe.
So jealous. It's almost worth flying out there to go to the Owl Cafe for dinner, go to the Frontier for a midnight snack (a breakfast burrito or their awesome posole), and fly back to Chicago for work tomorrow -- where I would then spend the entire day locked up in the toilet.

I'm not into Mexican cuisine since a lot of dishes contain cheese.

There are two items I can get behind though since they've been main staples ever since high school...I can't exactly vouch for their "authenticity":

tinas_products_beefbeangreenchili.jpg

ProductChickenTaqu.jpg

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
jon_irenicus said:
I'm not into Mexican cuisine since a lot of dishes contain cheese.

There are two items I can get behind though since they've been main staples ever since high school...I can't exactly vouch for their "authenticity":[/IMG]

Quick note: A lot of American Mexican food has cheese. A lot of the items in this thread; Pozole, soft tacos, tamales, cheviche, chile verde, mole...etc, do not contain cheese.

Axion22

San Diego native, reporting in.

Carne asada w/cheese is an unbeatable combination for me. Add some refried beans, guacamole, sour cream - toss it on top of some tortilla chips or french fries. Authenic or not, awesome.

Street tacos, also awesome.

FLEABttn

Banned
chuckddd said:
Since I live in NM and eat something with chile on it or in it pretty much every day, I'm going to vote for the best damn burger ever made, the green chile cheeseburger at the Owl Cafe.

I ask the New Mexico locals for food advice - not what they like, but what they hate. I then avoid any place spoken of positively and head straight for what they hate before it closes permanently due to lack of patronage (the lack of patronage being due to a lack of good taste).

Green Chile isn't meant to be on everything, and, while the Owl is delicious, their burgers are in no way the best ever. Marcello's Chop House burger, yo.

The best mexican food I ever had was shit my friends mom made that I can't remember the names to.

FLEABttn

Banned
Dresden said:
I actually agree with you on this. It doesn't belong on ice cream.

I bet $5 I could find it here, though, within an hour. I could go to the store right now and buy Green Chile wine.

This is a metal disease the state has. They need therapy.

Tortillas - I love the DIY element to it. All the fillings go so well together, a perfect fusion of taste. Never tried tacos, but if it's basically a big nacho with meat inside then forget it - I HATE eating crisps/chips with anything other than dip.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
mexican food has had outside influences throughout it's history, it's rather silly to shrug off stuff that you think is americanized.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Tortillas - I love the DIY element to it. All the fillings go so well together, a perfect fusion of taste. Never tried tacos, but if it's basically a big nacho with meat inside then forget it - I HATE eating crisps/chips with anything other than dip.

Soft tacos are your friends.

A "tortilla" is just a flour or corn "flatbread" - you put stuff in it, that's a Taco. Or a Fajita, I suppose, if the "stuff" is sizzling.

levious said:
mexican food has had outside influences throughout it's history, it's rather silly to shrug off stuff that you think is americanized.

The Burrito, for example, is a largely American invention. Invented by Mexicans, but in the US.

levious

OuterWorldVoice said:
The Burrito, for example, is a largely American invention. Invented by Mexicans, but in the US.

or nachos, invented in mexico, for americans...

I mean, cilantro wasn't introduced to this continent until the 18th century I think. If you want true authentic food, eat corn, beans, and squash.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Soft tacos are your friends.

A "tortilla" is just a flour or corn "flatbread" - you put stuff in it, that's a Taco. Or a Fajita, I suppose, if the "stuff" is sizzling.

Yeah, it's basically a Fajita that i'm used to. I just hate crunchy corn with my food.

Hilbert

levious said:

Yea but if it is something you don't find in Mexico, like those fries with green chilies on them, does it count as Mexican food? I have actually never seen hard fried tacos in Mexico either, but don't quote me on that one.

levious said:
or nachos, invented in mexico, for americans...

I mean, cilantro wasn't introduced to this continent until the 18th century I think. If you want true authentic food, eat corn, beans, and squash.

To be honest though, that's like saying if you want an authentic Chinese dish you should just eat a big bowl full of rice (which is truth as many can't afford meat and veg).

Dresden

Hilbert said:
Yea but if it is something you don't find in Mexico, like those fries with green chilies on them, does it count as Mexican food? I have actually never seen hard fried tacos in Mexico either, but don't quote me on that one.
Don't knock on green chile fries without tasting it, bro. People might knock on New Mexico dumping green chile on everything, but most of the time, it works.

Hilbert

Dresden said:
Don't knock on green chile fries without tasting it, bro. People might knock on New Mexico dumping green chile on everything, but most of the time, it works.

Oh, I am not knocking it, it looks tasty. But calling it Mexican food is kind a stretch.

levious

I NEED SCISSORS said:
To be honest though, that's like saying if you want an authentic Chinese dish you should just eat a big bowl full of rice (which is truth as many can't afford meat and veg).

right, I'm saying it's a bit silly to have that extreme of an attitude towards food.

Hilbert said:

had fries plenty there, not sure about green chilies but I'm sure someone, somewhere did it at some point. Soft fried corn tortillas I've seen. Not fully crispy though. both for a taco and fried to be blown up like a pita sandwich, but greasier.

Dresden

Hilbert said:
Oh, I am not knocking it, it looks tasty. But calling it Mexican food is kind a stretch.
I don't see why not. Pizza and such is still considered Italian food, despite being Americanized to hell and back. Same for Chinese food.

Hilbert

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
chuckddd said:
While I love posole, I only have it around Christmas. Heavens to mergatroid, radishes? on your posole? wtf?

Then get the green chile cheese fries on the side.

OMG, I'm going to go there for dinner.
Then I'm going to have to run a half-marathon to work it off.

EDIT:
Dresden, back me up, bro!

I GOT YOU! Green Chile cheese fries >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Chili Cheese fries.

NM represent, fools. :lol

Dresden

Hilbert said:
I don't have much of an opinion on the pizza example, but a lot of food is called "american chinese food", and I don't really think of it as chinese food.
Hmm, I've never seen it being called that. It's always chinese food, no matter the style, from what I've seen. Then if you know the owner, he'll whip you something extra-chinese-ish, like a bowl of noodles with black bean sauce topped with tripes and shit. /shudder

chuckddd said:

Then get the green chile cheese fries on the side.

OMG, I'm going to go there for dinner. Then I'm going to have to run a half-marathon to work it off.

EDIT:
Dresden, back me up, bro!

This man speaks the truth.

Ryck

My Dad's homemade Ceviche is the SHIT. I also love homemade Menudo, Carnitas (Buches in particular) and Birria de Chivo. I have a pretty badass mexican food place next door to my office and now I have to go get some grub.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I love almost everything that's been posted in this thread!

Although I really LOVE Mole. Esta muy bueno. <3

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Luixfern said:
Wheres the arrachera love? Sopes? Flautas? Gordas? salsa de tomatillo? agua de jamaica? agua de tamarindo?
Horchata > Agua de Tamarindo > Agua de Jamaica.

Dresden

Luixfern said:
Wheres the arrachera love? Sopes? Flautas? Gordas? salsa de tomatillo? agua de jamaica? agua de tamarindo?
I don't speak Spanish at all, but agua de tamarindo is nothing compared to the glories of horchata.

edit: goddamn it rewrite

Ryck

levious said:
yeah but the smell during prep is terrible...
Really? Oh but you know what I should clarify my pops makes the white kind. I'm not sure if you mean the red one has a bad smell but the white kind smells great imo makes me think of Christmas or holiday time in general.

levious

Ryck said:
Really? Oh but you know what I should clarify my pops makes the white kind. I'm not sure if you mean the red one has a bad smell but the white kind smells great imo makes me think of Christmas or holiday time in general.

I mean the smell of the raw tripe, once the cooking gets going it's great.

Ryck

levious said:
I mean the smell of the raw tripe, once the cooking gets going it's great.
Ah ok, I have never smelt it tbh, my dad would always start cutting up the tripe at 2-3am or so, by the time I would wake up it was pure goodness. Maybe that's why he would do it so early/late at night.

numble

Dresden said:
We're talking about Mexican food, not taco bell.
Pizza and such is still considered Italian food, despite being Americanized to hell and back. Same for Chinese food.

Well if you like pozole next up to try is menudo(pronounced men-u-tho). Hangover cure and you only eat it on sundays! There are rules! hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom