• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I <3 Pozole! What's your favorite Mexican food?

• Thread starter Deleted member 8095
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Leunam said:
Much as I like all three, Tamarindo always wins out for me. Unless I'm in an Horchata mood.
Really? The problem I have with Agua de Tamarindo is that I get pretty tired of it drinking it all at once. Like, I don't know how to say this word in english, but the word that describes every time I drink too much Agua de Tamarindo is "empalaga".

Leunam

I don't know what the english word would be, but I know what you mean, since horchata does that to me sometimes. :)

Dresden

numble said:
Pizza and such is still considered Italian food, despite being Americanized to hell and back. Same for Chinese food.
I'm not disputing it's mexican-ness or whatever. Taco bell barely qualifies as food. It's pigshit.

DanteFox

I know everyone says their mom makes the best tamales/tacos/etc., but I feel i can say with near absolute certainty that my grandma makes some of the best black mole there is.

yeah that's probably an exaggeration, but it's at least in the top 10 lol.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Axion22 said:
Carne asada w/cheese is an unbeatable combination for me. Add some refried beans, guacamole, sour cream - toss it on top of some tortilla chips or french fries. Authenic or not, awesome.

YES! GOD YES! Carne asada nachos at one of my other favorite spots:
CAAFYJMD.jpg

Axion22

Forgot to vote for horchata. I wish I could make it at home, but I feel that would violate some kind of zoning law.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Axion22 said:
Forgot to vote for horchata. I wish I could make it at home, but I feel that would violate some kind of zoning law.

It is hard. My friend has been trying to find the perfect milkless way to make horchata, and has come up short every time. He has had some damn close results though.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
DanteFox said:
I know everyone says their mom makes the best tamales/tacos/etc., but I feel i can say with near absolute certainty that my grandma makes some of the best black mole there is.

yeah that's probably an exaggeration, but it's at least in the top 10 lol.
Not EVEN.
70.gif

Inland Empire showdown commence!

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
I had an Aztec taco with some cactus in it the other day, didn't think it added much.

One thing I miss about living in the ghetto was getting tamales in your bag on Halloween. Oh and the girl that pushes around the shopping cart with a cooler in it filled with delicious corn and cotija for a buck fifty.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Ryck said:
Ah ok, I have never smelt it tbh, my dad would always start cutting up the tripe at 2-3am or so, by the time I would wake up it was pure goodness. Maybe that's why he would do it so early/late at night.

My mom would cut it up in the garage...

Axion22 said:

God I love Horchata. My ex-wife's family makes it homemade and its fantastic. I should try and get that recipe.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Siebzehn50 said:
God I love Horchata. My ex-wife's family makes it homemade and its fantastic. I should try and get that recipe.

My gf loves the stuff, I really don't like it that much.

Chiles rellenos. Such a wonderful dish. Love mole as well, and elotes, and horchata, and flan.

I've heard that it's very common in Mexico to drink tequila and Squirt- Mex-GAF, is this true? Personally I love tequila mixed with Jarritos Toronja.

MyFaceIsOnFire said:
My gf loves the stuff, I really don't like it that much.

If its made wrong (too sweet) then I'm not a fan. Even authentic Mexican places can make it poorly at times. When its made right though its awesome.

chaostrophy said:
Chiles rellenos. Such a wonderful dish. Love mole as well, and elotes, and horchata, and flan.

Damn, is that the first time Chiles Rellenos was mentioned in this thread? I love that stuff.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
chaostrophy said:
I've heard that it's very common in Mexico to drink tequila and Squirt- Mex-GAF, is this true? Personally I love tequila mixed with Jarritos Toronja.
It is true. At least from my personal viewings it is.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
chaostrophy said:

Tequila and Squirt actually sounds like it would be really good. I'm going to buy both this weekend!

t567m9.jpg

El, you really must try this because it's puerco pibil. It's a slow-roasted pork- nothing fancy, it just happens to be my favorite, and I order it with a tequila and lime in every dive I go to in this country. And honestly, that is the best it's ever been anywhere. In fact, it's too good. It's so good that when I'm finished, I'll pay my check, walk straight into the kitchen and shoot the cook. Because that's what I do. I restore the balance to this country. And that is what I would like from you right now. Help keep the balance by pulling the trigger.

I'm simple. Beef and bean nachos covered with queso and a couple of jalapenos. I eat at the local Mexican restaurant just about every week, and that's typically what I order. I've tried tacos de lenguos (My Spanish is terrible, but I believe that's how you say "Cow tongue tacos") And it was surprisingly delicious. Kind of hard to find, though.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
flyover said:
So jealous. It's almost worth flying out there to go to the Owl Cafe for dinner, go to the Frontier for a midnight snack (a breakfast burrito or their awesome posole), and fly back to Chicago for work tomorrow -- where I would then spend the entire day locked up in the toilet.

Next time you're in town, make note that you can get the Frontier green chile sauce at Golden Pride. No need to go all the way down to UNM for a cheap and quality breakfast burrito!

Also need to note one of my favorite Mexican drinks.

10xgina.jpg

Hilbert

In honor of this thread today, I whipped up some taquitos, a fresh pico salsa and a fresh guacamole for dinner:

24481_1409355273773_1229215806_31238707_4253726_n.jpg

Beans are on the stove.

bangladesh said:
I don't think you can beat a burrito when done right.

Sir, this is the mexican food thread, not the american food thread.

Luixfern said:
Wheres the arrachera love? Sopes? Flautas? Gordas? salsa de tomatillo? agua de jamaica? agua de tamarindo?

This is the good stuff.

Pro tip: for americans in places with no good mexican food.....try steak tacos at baja fresh. Shockingly authentic.

My mom makes the worst tamales. I usually like them but not the way she makes them. Way too soft for my taste.

But my favorite food is probably a simple carne asada taco with onion+cilantro and some ot salsa. And horchata to drink. :)

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Hilbert said:
In honor of this thread today, I whipped up some taquitos, a fresh pico salsa and a fresh guacamole for dinner:

24481_1409355273773_1229215806_31238707_4253726_n.jpg

Beans are on the stove.

That looks amazing!

Dresden

chuckddd said:
Next time you're in town, make note that you can get the Frontier green chile sauce at Golden Pride. No need to go all the way down to UNM for a cheap and quality breakfast burrito!

Also need to note one of my favorite Mexican drinks.

10xgina.jpg
I pick those up all the time at Smith's, they're like a dollar each. Cheap and surprisingly good, although I feel guilty for tossing those thick bottles away.

MyFaceIsOnFire said:
I really like mole, is there a good premade version that can be purchased at the store if I don't have time to make my own? Also, tortas are awesome! I had the pleasure of going to dinner at a Hispanic family's house and they made tortas and carne asada. Truly one of the best meals I have ever had. They even nicknamed me the "White Mexican!"
I use the brand Dona Maria. It comes in a glass jar and it basically is just the paste. You plop it in some boiling water and stir it until the paste disolves then add other spices to taste, if you want. I'm a fan of sweeter mole so I usually add brown sugar. It comes out pretty good.

Edit: I buy this brand from Ralph's in the Hispanic food isle.

chaostrophy said:

Tequila and Squirt is good as hell. I call it a poor man's margarita.

Sumidor

MyFaceIsOnFire said:
YES! GOD YES! Carne asada nachos at one of my other favorite spots:
I would like to know where in Portland you are going. Cause the best mexican food I can find, are the carts.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Sumidor said:
I would like to know where in Portland you are going. Cause the best mexican food I can find, are the carts.

It's called La Fuente in downtown Tigard. I'm going to try La Bonita out on Alberta this weekend on my way to Gartner's, I'll report back afterward.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Hilbert said:
My sister in portland recommends Nuestra Cocina. I havne't been there, but she likes it. Portland, OR, right?

I've never heard of it, but I will certainly look into it. Also, I should mention the Carne Asada chips I was talking about are from good old Muchas Gracias. They are to die for and the best fast food Mexican short of a taco stand.

I know this is more of a Baja/San Diego thing, but my favorite are fish tacos. Specifically the fish taco plate at El Indio restaurant in San Diego. The number #21. The perfect mix of authentic rice, beans, fresh hand made tortilla and lightly breaded fish freshly caught. it is pictured below (from their website). Since I moved to Seattle, I am still trying to find something remotely close, no luck

elindiofishtacos.jpg

joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
Tequila and Squirt is good as hell. I call it a poor man's margarita.
Better than fresca, that's for sure. Not bad, but the combination is too sweet for me. I prefer tequila + mineral water + lemon juice.

About mexifood: I could eat entomatadas forever (like enchiladas, only with tomato sauce instead of salsa). Chile pasado? holy shit, so good. Pozole...I swear my grandma makes the best pozole of all time, truly a treat. My other grandma specializes in pipian, a pumpkin seed variation of mole that I personally like better than mole itself.

2zpmahl.jpg

Another favorite of mine is chamorro, prepared beef shank that melts in your mouth. There's a nice sports bar near my place that serves it, today's 2x1! Might hit it since all I have in stock is tuna cans :( Here's chamorro in all its glory

2yyqut5.gif

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Hilbert said:
It looks like varieties of cheviche. I would be happy to post my personal recipe if anyone is interested.
Tostada de Pulpo and Tostada de mariscos. Octopus tostada and tostada with octopus, shrimps and calamar, various sea food. With some creme, plenty of lemon and habanero sauce they are the best.

Hilbert

Lonely1 said:
Tostada de Pulpo and Tostada de mariscos. Octopus tostada and tostada with octopus, shrimps and calamar, various sea food. With some creme, plenty of lemon and habanero sauce they are the best.

Sadly, having an extreme and lethal allergies to lots of seafood, I can't try many of these things. It is kind of depressing if I think about it too much.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Best Mexican food I've ever had.

At a white dude's restaurant in Chicago.

Rick Bayless is the MAN!!

Hilbert

MyFaceIsOnFire said:
I've never heard of it, but I will certainly look into it. Also, I should mention the Carne Asada chips I was talking about are from good old Muchas Gracias. They are to die for and the best fast food Mexican short of a taco stand.

Do you go to the muchas gracias in Portland next to Creston Park?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom