• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I need a new TV for my brand new XSX and upcoming PS5

Caio

Hi guys and ladies, sorry to bother you so much lately, but I need a better 4K TV for my XSX and upcoming PS5.

May you please give me the Top 3 options for this two range of price ?

1) Top 3 TVs in the range 800€-1200€

2) Top 3 TVs in the range 1200-1500€

I need VRR, 4K/120fps and all the features needed to take full advantage of both XSX and PS5. Thanks.

Come on it's Christmas, gimme the best TVs :D

For LCD:
I would try to get a Samsung Q90/Q95T from 2020 or a Q90/Q95A from 2021. Perfect tv for gaming in my opinion. Samsung often has cashback promotions, i would check that too.

For OLED:
Other people have to help you here, not a big OLED fan.

For LCD:
I would try to get a Samsung Q90/Q95T from 2020 or a Q90/Q95A from 2021. Perfect tv for gaming in my opinion. Samsung often has cashback promotions, i would check that too.

For OLED:
Other people have to help you here, not a big OLED fan.
I have the 2020 Q70.
The Q90 is even better if you can find it on sale somewhere its a winner. I think it only does 120 at 1440p though.

Last edited:

Chiggs

I wouldn’t buy an LG C1; go for the G1 with its better warranty and Evo panels. Yes, technically, the Evo panels can sometimes be found in the C1 series, but it’s a lottery.

And don’t buy right now. Wait for the Super Bowl sales.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
If you're worried about burn-in get the Samsung QN90A. It's the best LCD on the market. I use it for my consoles(Switch, PS5) and my PC. It's also the brightest TV on the market.

20211220-071223.jpg

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I wouldn’t buy an LG C1; go for the G1 with its better warranty and Evo panels. Yes, technically, the Evo panels can sometimes be found in the C1 series, but it’s a lottery.

Not sure if these applies in Euro zone

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Due to the issues with VRR on the CX and C1 I would honestly wait and see if there 2022 models resolve these issues...

If not Samsung Q90T with firmware or this years mini LED model as they don't suffer from VRR faults like the current LG OLED's which require manual adjustment on a per game basis.

Last edited:

Caio

If you're worried about burn-in get the Samsung QN90A. It's the best LCD on the market. I use it for my consoles(Switch, PS5) and my PC.

Still can't decide between the LG C1 and the GN90A...by the way, I'm from Europe, so not sure if what has been said about the LG C1 panels apply as well...

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Still can't decide between the LG C1 and the GN90A...by the way, I'm from Europe, so not sure if what has been said about the LG C1 panels apply as well...

If you are ever going to PC game I do not recommend an OLED. If it's strictly console gaming then I will honestly tell you the C1 produces a better picture than the QN90A. Not by much though. This is my C7 from using it as a computer monitor:

20211115-171523.jpg

Last edited:

Caio

Due to the issues with VRR on the CX and C1 I would honestly wait and see if there 2022 models resolve these issues...

If not Samsung Q90A with firmware or this years mini LED model as they don't suffer from VRR faults like the current LG OLED's which require manual adjustment on a per game basis.
I didn't know that, issues with VRR ? Ricky would never buy the C1, and neither do I.

Caio

If you are ever going to PC game I do not recommend an OLED. If it's strictly console gaming then I will honestly tell you the C1 produces a better picture than the QN90A. Not by much though. This is my C7 from using it as a computer monitor:

20211115-171523.jpg
What about LG C1 having some issues with VRR ? Any confirmation about it ?

Chukhopops

I’ve been using the CX for around a year now and it’s amazing while having all the features you want: VRR, DV, 4K 120Hz. Fully recommended and it’s fairly cheap now in EU.

Use it on both PS5 and XSX.

They should just sticky "need new tv? lg oled"...upgrading to it honestly felt like a bigger next gen upgrade than both consoles for me so far.

truth411

If you can, wait till black friday 2022
Hi guys and ladies, sorry to bother you so much lately, but I need a better 4K TV for my XSX and upcoming PS5.

I need VRR, 4K/120fps and all the features needed to take full advantage of both XSX and PS5. Thanks.

If you can, wait till black friday 2022. Tvs from Sony, Samsung etc... Will have 4 HDMI 2.1 inputs and will be available at a lower price.

Thats when I will pull the trigger, Im personally still using my 65" Sony 930e.

Lognor

Banned

I always hear the "wait for Super Bowl sales" advice, but I don't think there really are Super Bowl sales. I went back and looked at CX sales leading up to the last Super Bowl and it was actually the same price in January and February that it was in December.

Right now I'm looking to upgrade, likely to the C1, but waiting for a better deal. I hope there is a SB sale, but not holding my breath. I could buy the 77" right now for $2900 at Costco, but for LG partner members you can get it for $2,000 so I can't justify that extra $900 even though I am not an LG partner.

G1 warranty appears to be five years, but that's the same warranty you get if you buy the C1 from Costco.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
What about LG C1 having some issues with VRR ? Any confirmation about it ?

Uses a CX to display but C1 suffers the exact same issue. Originally with VRR on the TV would essentially rapidly flash gamma to max and then min settings creating a strobe flickering effect... as you can imagine this was not great, the 2020 Samsungs like the Q90T also suffered from this. However Samsung updated the firmware and fixed this issue, VRR worked correctly, hurray. LG however had a problem, I won't bore you with the technical reasons but essentially they where unable to get gamma to automatically adjust with VRR on. So the solution? They patched it in so it just sets it to a middle "default" setting and the user will need to manually adjust for every game. This results in some huge washed out colours for the CX and C1 unless you fine tune... big oof...

The best part is you will see C1 owners who have no idea about this praising the set for the best colours ever, despite this actually effecting them with terrible washed out colours, leading to the classic joke...

How do you know someone has an LG OLED?

Don't worry it will be the first thing they mention.

Obviously for everything else the C1 is a real best in class, it's why I keep a keen eye on every announcement about the next 2022 panels... because once that's fixed they will be hard to beat.

Last edited:

Chiggs

I always hear the "wait for Super Bowl sales" advice, but I don't think there really are Super Bowl sales. I went back and looked at CX sales leading up to the last Super Bowl and it was actually the same price in January and February that it was in December.

Right now I'm looking to upgrade, likely to the C1, but waiting for a better deal. I hope there is a SB sale, but not holding my breath. I could buy the 77" right now for $2900 at Costco, but for LG partner members you can get it for $2,000 so I can't justify that extra $900 even though I am not an LG partner.

G1 warranty appears to be five years, but that's the same warranty you get if you buy the C1 from Costco.

They’re not always called Super Bowl sales in the same way that Black Friday and Cyber Monday are labeled as such. It’s generally just some aggressive discounts in order to make room for new stock. This is a yearly practice, and since Black Friday has come and gone, there’s no reason not to wait, unless you simply must have a TV right now.

That said, there are a number of factors that weigh in:
  • How much existing stock is left?
  • When are new models arriving?
  • What level of discounts can be justified/incentivized?

Vasto

In game mode the U8G picture quality significantly downgrades. Better to go with Sony, Samsung at his price point uses a crappy IPS panel.

First time hearing about the game mode issue and I have watched a ton of reviews on the U8G where most consider it the best LCD thats competes with the QN90A at half the price. I just sold my X900H and dont see my self ever buying another Sony TV. :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Caio

LG C1 , just got one last week for my PS5 / XsX , looks rly awesome :)
I would go with the LG C1, it looks like it is a jewel, and the only thing I heard is some "issues" related to VRR, and some guys say engaging VRR would reduce brightness...I don't even know if this is true...

This guy tested it, and he didn't find any issue or brightness reduction...

Caio

Uses a CX to display but C1 suffers the exact same issue. Originally with VRR on the TV would essentially rapidly flash gamma to max and then min settings creating a strobe flickering effect... as you can imagine this was not great, the 2020 Samsungs like the Q90T also suffered from this. However Samsung updated the firmware and fixed this issue, VRR worked correctly, hurray. LG however had a problem, I won't bore you with the technical reasons but essentially they where unable to get gamma to automatically adjust with VRR on. So the solution? They patched it in so it just sets it to a middle "default" setting and the user will need to manually adjust for every game. This results in some huge washed out colours for the CX and C1 unless you fine tune... big oof...

The best part is you will see C1 owners who have no idea about this praising the set for the best colours ever, despite this actually effecting them with terrible washed out colours, leading to the classic joke...

How do you know someone has an LG OLED?

Don't worry it will be the first thing they mention.

Obviously for everything else the C1 is a real best in class, it's why I keep a keen eye on every announcement about the next 2022 panels... because once that's fixed they will be hard to beat.

I just read it, thanks mate. I need some time to decide which one to take.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
First time hearing about the game mode issue and I have watched a ton of reviews on the U8G where most consider it the best LCD thats competes with the QN90A at half the price. I just sold my X900H and dont see my self ever buying another Sony TV. :messenger_beaming:

Hisense U8G Review (55U8G, 65U8G) - RTINGS.com

Update 12/15/2021: We confirmed that the local dimming setting isn't available if you're in Game Mode with FreeSync enabled.

The local dimming feature performs the same in Game mode as in the other picture modes, which is great. There are some limitations, as local dimming isn't available in certain situations when in Game Mode when VRR is enabled. You have to disable VRR if you want to use local dimming in Game Mode.

Saucy Papi

I really only recommend the LG C1. It's at $1,300 here in the states and completely blows everything else out of the water from a gaming features standpoint.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I just read it, thanks mate. I need some time to decide which one to take.

Honestly I'm a bit of a perfectionist as with my joke earlier most people don't even notice. However when your paying over a grand for an item it's kind of a hard pill to swallow and I'm one of those types that can wait six months to a year for a new model which has that issue fixed and enters at the same price range. Especially on an item like a TV which I tend to keep for a console generation.

I ended up getting a Samsung Q90T as at the time the only word on the flickering issue for VRR on LG was "can't be fixed" and Sony didn't even support 4k 120 at the time...

I'm more than willing to jump on that OLED bandwagon in a few years time once I know all the kinks for advertised features that don't work are resolved.

Last edited:

Vasto

Hisense U8G Review (55U8G, 65U8G) - RTINGS.com

Update 12/15/2021: We confirmed that the local dimming setting isn't available if you're in Game Mode with FreeSync enabled.

The local dimming feature performs the same in Game mode as in the other picture modes, which is great. There are some limitations, as local dimming isn't available in certain situations when in Game Mode when VRR is enabled. You have to disable VRR if you want to use local dimming in Game Mode.

So its the same as Sony with VRR disabling local diming. When I had my X900H I would use Game Mode but not VRR. I thought he was saying just using Game Mode alone downgrades the picture. What do they mean by " In certain situations " ? Seems like it should be in all situations if the local dimming is not working.

I have asked about this on RTINGS forum.

Edit: Just got a response from RTINGS. I know its normal for all TVs to take a slight hit in Game Mode from the extra processing but nothing severe exclusive to the U8G.

mOkeBx1.png

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
So its the same as Sony with VRR disabling local diming. When I had my X900H I would use Game Mode but not VRR. I thought he was saying just using Game Mode alone downgrades the picture. What do they mean by " In certain situations " ? Seems like it should be in all situations if the local dimming is not working.

I have asked about this on RTINGS forum.

Edit: Just got a response from RTINGS. I know its normal for all TVs to take a slight hit in Game Mode from the extra processing but nothing severe exclusive to the U8G.

mOkeBx1.png

Not being able to use Local Dimming with VRR with it makes it worthless, especially to someone who PC games. Maybe that's not as important to console players.

Last edited:

Caio

Honestly I'm a bit of a perfectionist as with my joke earlier most people don't even notice. However when your paying over a grand for an item it's kind of a hard pill to swallow and I'm one of those types that can wait six months to a year for a new model which has that issue fixed and enters at the same price range. Especially on an item like a TV which I tend to keep for a console generation.

I ended up getting a Samsung Q90T as at the time the only word on the flickering issue for VRR on LG was "can't be fixed" and Sony didn't even support 4k 120 at the time...

I'm more than willing to jump on that OLED bandwagon in a few years time once I know all the kinks for advertised features that don't work are resolved.
It looks like the better decision would be waiting for the new LG model, which will fix the issue. I really want a new TV for my Next Gen Consoles, but I'm with you with the "I'm a bit of a perfectionist" when it comes to buy a brand new 1300 euro TV which will probably last 7 years from now...I really need the "perfection". I'm like this.

Matt_Fox

I second those saying get a Samsung. Your price range is a bit on the low side, if you can bump it up to 2000 Euro you'll have a very nice future proof QLED.

One thing to look out for is number of HDMI 2.1 sockets. Some sets may have multiple HDMI sockets but only one of them is 2.1. Sounds like you have both XSX and PS5 so better for you if you have a set that they can both plug into at 2.1

ParaSeoul

If you're worried about burn-in get the Samsung QN90A. It's the best LCD on the market. I use it for my consoles(Switch, PS5) and my PC. It's also the brightest TV on the market.

20211220-071223.jpg
I do prefer the QN90A stand to the C1,no one mentions how much space that thing takes up.

ethomaz

Banned
If you want the best quality you will need to go with OLED.
LG C1 is the most loved and overall the best TV in the market at it price point.
But Sony A90j has strong points that not even the C1 can reach but it is costs a bit more.

Outside that you have all these LCD based TVs that are really very outdated in terms of image quality.

I would not look at the G1 because it is basically the same C1 features at premium price... C1 is the best option taking price in consideration.

Last edited:
Top Bottom