• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I need a new TV for my brand new XSX and upcoming PS5

b0uncyfr0

It all depends on where you live OP, and how bright your gaming area/lounge room is.

On a sunny day - HDR on current OLED's wont be great. HDR will be a big part of gaming going forward so i classify it as a priority. If you care alot about the HDR brightness, i'd avoid current OLED's (maybe in 2-3 years they will be much better but atm we're stuck around the 700Nits area, which is very average compared to modern QLED's).

Unfortunately only LG OLED's (CX, C1, G1 and GX ) tick all the boxes atm for gaming - esp vrr (at 4k 120 FPS). If you dont need VRR at 120fp, you can look at the models below the CX.

On the other hand you've got cheaper QLED's form Samsung and OLED's from Sony - and i think both current lineup's lack VRR. Sony made a kafuffle with VRR and its still not out for the flagships so something weird is going on there.

The Sony A80j and A90j are cream of the crop from Sony's side. Mind you Sony's have better motion clarity than the LG's. They also cost more than the LG's but there's no VRR *yet*. Its a hot topic atm.

With Samsung panels, you get the brightness but the black level (which provides clarity and contrast) is noticeably 1 level below the OLED's. For example the new QN90a. Samsung also has bad panel lottery atm and their build quality is arguably 1 notch below the other's.

Good luck - and use rtings to look up panels, check all reviews thoroughly before choosing the best panel for you mate.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
My current thought process is this. If you think you might want to try something to know if it is right for you, do the research. Try to buy from a store with a decent return policy and know the fees involved for returning within the window.

Try it, and if it isn't for you, return it. If you have enough credit and space, try both at home at the same time and return the one that doesn't work out. The second option isn't really viable for most people, but the first should be.

Try the OLED and have it tangibly in your space. If you still have reservations after, change back for the other. Just my opinion.

ethomaz

Banned
No disagreement there if there is a noted issue with color gamma when VRR is used on those sets. Do you have a source article or discussion link that discusses this issue and is dated after the most recent testing done by RTINGS?
It is not fixed and LG said it is a panel issue so it won't be fixed unless there is a new panel (aka TV model).
What they did is to add a slider to you fine tune and make the issue less visible.

If it was an "exageration" plus it has been fixed with the latest update, I might buy now the LG C1.
Is it in C1? Because it is not in CX.

Edit - It was not fixed... the latest C1 firmware just fixed a issue a bug in DHCP in HDMI1 port.
You post is misleading btw.

They were supposed to fix it with the C1 but they just added a gamma adjustment tool to try and work around it,issue is still there. To be fair you have so many VRR fans here you just have to take their word for it
Yeap... that is the case.
Anybody saying it is fixed is just spreading fakenews.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

It all depends on where you live OP, and how bright your gaming area/lounge room is.

On a sunny day - HDR on current OLED's wont be great. HDR will be a big part of gaming going forward so i classify it as a priority. If you care alot about the HDR brightness, i'd avoid current OLED's (maybe in 2-3 years they will be much better but atm we're stuck around the 700Nits area, which is very average compared to modern QLED's).

Unfortunately only LG OLED's (CX, C1, G1 and GX ) tick all the boxes atm for gaming - esp vrr (at 4k 120 FPS). If you dont need VRR at 120fp, you can look at the models below the CX.

On the other hand you've got cheaper QLED's form Samsung and OLED's from Sony - and i think both current lineup's lack VRR. Sony made a kafuffle with VRR and its still not out for the flagships so something weird is going on there.

The Sony A80j and A90j are cream of the crop from Sony's side. Mind you Sony's have better motion clarity than the LG's. They also cost more than the LG's but there's no VRR *yet*. Its a hot topic atm.

With Samsung panels, you get the brightness but the black level (which provides clarity and contrast) is noticeably 1 level below the OLED's. For example the new QN90a. Samsung also has bad panel lottery atm and their build quality is arguably 1 notch below the other's.

Good luck - and use rtings to look up panels, check all reviews thoroughly before choosing the best panel for you mate.
A lot more to HDR than just brightness

Chiggs

A lot more to HDR than just brightness

There's no downplaying the role brightness plays in HDR. It gives imagery that incredible "pop" which is what most people look for HDR to do.

Sony made a kafuffle with VRR and its still not out for the flagships so something weird is going on there.

Guaran-fucking-teed to have something to do with MediaTek. Watch Sony get a sweetheart deal on their next chipset; otherwise, Sony is dumping them in the next year.

Last edited:

Darklor01

There's no downplaying the role brightness plays in HDR. It gives imagery that incredible "pop" which is what most people look for HDR to do.
No, there is no downplaying the role that brightness plays just like there is no downplaying the role that perfect black plays. In my personal opinion, currently, there are a few bullet points I look at on the HDR w/ LCD/LED vs. OLED topic:

Before those points, HDR is about the ability to replicate light and a ray tracing like affect around and through objects including from peak brightness to a perfect dark.

• LCD/LED can't replicate perfect darks that OLED can, OLED cannot replicate peak brightness that LCD/LED can.
• IMO, for HDR, peak brightness is more important than perfect blacks, however, deep blacks are very important. Newer OLED panels are increasing in brightness, but may also lead to a shorter
lifespan.
• Replicated color spectrum is also key. OLED does this extremely week due to it's available spectrum, though, LCD/LED can do very well.
• Use of HDR can increase how quickly the OLED panel takes to start dimming.

If you've ever painted on both Black and on White canvas, what you find is that the colors pop against the Black canvas in a way they can never do against a White one. The closer a set can get to perfect Black, the greater the impact on the overall IQ.

Conversely, if you are painting using a technique where the light is brought out by not painting against a white canvas in a certain way, that can be blinding like looking into light in a way that painting on a Black canvas never do.

There are drawbacks to each tech. If I were being 1000% honest with just technical aspects and relation to HDR, I'd be buying an LCD/LED set because of how much closer it can bring HDR to the intended effect.
When I watch OLED TVs vs. my LCD/LED sets, I enjoy my OLED more because the colors/visuals just pop more for me. They're darker images for sure, but, for me, the overall presentation draws me in more.

Everyone is different, and everyone has different preferences and concerns. For this reason, if you have a way to try and return within a window with little to no fee involved, that's probably the best option once you have done your research. No one here is likely to convince someone of their viewpoint if they have a set mindset. You have to experience each set for yourself, in your home, used in the way you will use it, calibrated the way you need it calibrated. Nothing else matters IMO.

Chiggs

Everyone is different, and everyone has different preferences and concerns. For this reason, if you have a way to try and return within a window with little to no fee involved, that's probably the best option once you have done your research. No one here is likely to convince someone of their viewpoint if they have a set mindset. You have to experience each set for yourself, in your home, used in the way you will use it, calibrated the way you need it calibrated. Nothing else matters IMO.

I fully agree. If you have the means to pick up a unit from a store yourself, then set it up and give it a test run for a few days, that truly is the best route to go.

Admittedly, this becomes much harder to do once you go beyond 65", because the hassle of packing things up just becomes a real chore.

Bramble

Guaran-fucking-teed to have something to do with MediaTek. Watch Sony get a sweetheart deal on their next chipset; otherwise, Sony is dumping them in the next year.

Like I already said on this very same page. People seem to be very unfamiliar with how OLED works and looks. Having infinite contrast and true blacks make highlights pop out way more even with less nits than a LED TV. Higher nits in this case, means also worse black levels. I had a high-end Sony LCD and then an LG B7 and now a G1 and, especially during the night, OLED is by far superior. Been playing Miles Morales NG+ on my new G1 and the highlights are popping like I’ve never seen before.

Chiggs

Like I already said on this very same page. People seem to be very unfamiliar with how OLED works and looks. Having infinite contrast and true blacks make highlights pop out way more even with less nits than a LED TV. Higher nits in this case, means also worse black levels. I had a high-end Sony LCD and then an LG B7 and now a G1 and, especially during the night, OLED is by far superior. Been playing Miles Morales NG+ on my new G1 and the highlights are popping like I’ve never seen before.

You must have missed my numerous posts recommending the G1.

Bramble

Perhaps. I’m just responding to the first sentence in your post. You can have all the brightness in the world, but if the contrast en therefor black levels are mid, HDR won’t look good. My point is basically that highlights look more impressive on a lower nit and true black panel vs. a high nit and mediocre black/contrast panel.

Chiggs

Perhaps. I’m just responding to the first sentence in your post. You can have all the brightness in the world, but if the contrast en therefor black levels are mid, HDR won’t look good. My point is basically that highlights look more impressive on a lower nit and true black panel vs. a high nit and mediocre black/contrast panel.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. I think OLED absolutely provides the superior overall picture, but having seen HDR on the Hisense U8G and Samsung Q90, unfortunately that's a notch in L column for OLED...at least to my eyes. If you're a fan of HDR movies and gaming, the specular highlights on good LED sets are going to pack a greater punch.

Again, this isn't news to anyone, as it's been covered repeatedly:

One of the main reasons the G1 is the way to go, IMO. Get the brightest OLED you can afford.

Last edited:

Caio

It is not fixed and LG said it is a panel issue so it won't be fixed unless there is a new panel (aka TV model).
What they did is to add a slider to you fine tune and make the issue less visible.

Is it in C1? Because it is not in CX.

Edit - It was not fixed... the latest C1 firmware just fixed a issue a bug in DHCP in HDMI1 port.
You post is misleading btw.

Yeap... that is the case.
Anybody saying it is fixed is just spreading fakenews.
Why are you laughing at my post ? I was told the issue was basicly fixed, so it is "if fixed", I might buy it now. I'm not spreading fake news, I'm just listening to people's comments. So the reality is the issue is not fixed, and I'm not gonna buy the C1 now. The reason I started this Thread is to collect any possible info, and then make a decision. No reason to laugh or telling me I'm spreading trash. I'm simply listening here.

lachesis

If I was in OP's position - I at least would wait for January CES for 2022 TVs and offerings before plunging in.

For choosing a TV - time is always on your side, unless you are choosing a dead technology like CRT or Plasma..

My current thought process is this. If you think you might want to try something to know if it is right for you, do the research. Try to buy from a store with a decent return policy and know the fees involved for returning within the window.

Try it, and if it isn't for you, return it. If you have enough credit and space, try both at home at the same time and return the one that doesn't work out. The second option isn't really viable for most people, but the first should be.

Try the OLED and have it tangibly in your space. If you still have reservations after, change back for the other. Just my opinion.
This. I'm going to be honest and say I use Best Buy as a test bed for products all the time.

ethomaz

Banned
Why are you laughing at my post ? I was told the issue was basicly fixed, so it is "if fixed", I might buy it now. I'm not spreading fake news, I'm just listening to people's comments. So the reality is the issue is not fixed, and I'm not gonna buy the C1 now. The reason I started this Thread is to collect any possible info, and then make a decision. No reason to laugh or telling me I'm spreading trash. I'm simply listening here.
It is not fixed.
Your comment was very misleading that lead people to believe it was fixed (I even have to edit my post after because at first I believed you).

I have the TV btw (well not the C1 but the CX).

Last edited:

Caio

It is not fixed.
Your comment was very misleading that lead people to believe it was fixed (I even have to edit my post after because at first I believed you).

It didn't come from me in first istance. It was said by others in good faith, and I simply believed it. Good to know it is not fixed, I will wait for CES and take my time before buying a new 4K.

Shwing

Took delivery of the Sony XR-65X90J last week and think it's stunning so far. I'm using it with my PS5 & PC, as well as watching the likes of Netflix / YouTube etc. I know the only thing missing from your requirements at present is VRR, but it is coming via a firmware update.
Seriously impressed with this TV!

Darklor01

It is not fixed.

I have the C1. While I can't say it's the result of a gamma adjustment tool in the game optimizer or not, or maybe my C1 has the G1 panel.. I'm not sure. I haven't noticed any gamma flickering on my LG C1 at all. I've only had it since a few weeks ago.

RTINGS site on the C1 doesn't mention the Gamma flickering on the C1. It does on the CX though.

Again, I could be wrong, but I haven't seen it happen on the C1 personally.

Chiggs

Took delivery of the Sony XR-65X90J last week and think it's stunning so far. I'm using it with my PS5 & PC, as well as watching the likes of Netflix / YouTube etc. I know the only thing missing from your requirements at present is VRR, but it is coming via a firmware update.

I bought the 50inch version for my bedroom and feel the same way. I have it on a swivel arm that pulls out from the wall and swings out over the bed at about 2.5 feet over the mattress. I can angle it down for the ultimate in laziness.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Seriously underrated TV especially at its current price

If it had a little more punch nits wise it would be a killer display with Sonys handling of motion

Top Bottom