• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I want the PS5 to fail and XSX+XSS to succeed

But if MS gets crushed over several generations and doesn't turn a profit why wouldn't they drop Xbox? Then if Sony is the only console maker it would suck. You don't think MS helped Sony improve their online, make sure PS3 had an internal harddrive, etc. Competition makes Sony and MS work harder. Fact. You can't begin to refute that.
I cant say if some of the things you mentioned aren't natural progression, or in fact, pressure so I'll concede on that, but acting like consoles massively outselling others is some sign of the end times seem a bit hyperbolic. Competition is on the ones competing.

denisonja

Neo Member
That's an interesting take. Let's assume, for a moment, you are serious... Problem with that logic is that when a company fails with a product (speaking from personal experience as a manager in one of those companies) there are several ways you handle that situation. One is throw more money at the problem (your assumption). Second one, and i'm really trivializing here (as is the OP), you cut your losses, stand in front of the boss and admit the mistake and then go to corner and lick your wounds...
In this moment in time, i dont think throwing money at the problem is a viable option.... So, your wish could bring us to the opposite of what you said - less free stuf, raising prices, no support for third parties etc....
I'm satisfied with the state PS is now in and if everything stays the same with PS5 i wouldn't have any problems with that....

DavidGzz

I cant say if some of the things you mentioned aren't natural progression, or in fact, pressure so I'll concede on that, but acting like consoles massively outselling others is some sign of the end times seem a bit hyperbolic. Competition is on the ones competing.

I said it could suck, you're the one getting hyperbolic by comparing no competition to the end times. I do think Sony would do what they could get away with without MS there. Same goes for MS without Sony. Either way, console gaming would not be as good.

ZywyPL

Banned
Fair points, I also think that panic Sony is the best Sony, the quantity and quality of games they were pumping out during the PS3 times are still unparalleled till this day IMO, and now with the huge PS4 success the lazy/arrogant Sony is back yet again.

I said it could suck, you're the one getting hyperbolic by comparing no competition to the end times. I do think Sony would do what they could get away with without MS there. Same goes for MS without Sony. Either way, console gaming would not be as good.
No, you said we'd all be paying for it, which is such a nebulous comment I wasnt sure what you meant by it, but knew it couldn't have been good considering I'm already paying for my games and the services that come with them.

llien

If Xbox 360 hadn't been that successful, we wouldn't have gotten all this.
Yes, but not in the way you think it was.

Network play was free before Microsoft decided to charge for it.
Since people didn't give a fuck and still bought XBox, Sony has followed the trend with PS4.

So it was XBox succeeding, despite paid multiplayer, that brought us paid multiplayer.

Oh, and this gen they've tried to pull "digital only", and that time, there luckily was an uproar.

Last edited:

Allandor

I don't want that they fail. They must both have a healthy eco system so they can compete.

I would really want that the "religious fanboy" thing would end in all threads, so we can discuss about our hobby-things that matter and not discuss things over and over because someone is trolling.

DavidGzz

No, you said we'd all be paying for it, which is such a nebulous comment I wasnt sure what you meant by it, but knew it couldn't have been good considering I'm already paying for my games and the services that come with them.

I don't think BC would be an afterthought for Sony if it were not for Xbox, for example. That is the type of thing I mean. Also we'd have a weaker PS5 that would still cost $600, no BC, etc. With MS we'd have no discs, no ability to play games while offline, etc.

mili2110

Fair points, I also think that panic Sony is the best Sony, the quantity and quality of games they were pumping out during the PS3 times are still unparalleled till this day IMO, and now with the huge PS4 success the lazy/arrogant Sony is back yet again.

THIS!

I don't think BC would be an afterthought for Sony if it were not for Xbox, for example. That is the type of thing I mean. Also we'd have a weaker PS5 that would still cost $600, no BC, etc. With MS we'd have no discs, no ability to play games while offline, etc.
I'm sure your aware Sony has been doing bc a long time. BC becoming a talking point is in response to Sonys success and all of the other stuff is just a what if comic.

Shambala

mulAgFU.jpg

Pallas

I want both to succeed and make each other better, it’s win win for the consumer.

Well, fanboys want and think Sony will crush MS at least 3 to 1 so how is this scenario worse? It isn't. If Sony had no competition you'd all be paying for it.
I always shake my head when I see certain individuals wishing Microsoft would trash Xbox. It’s like they want Sony to have a near monopoly or more on gaming which would be pretty bad.

CAB_Life

I would prefer that they both do well. I think that the XSS, if priced right, could be MS’s ace in the hole and the perfect delivery agent for Gamepass.

Gamepass is truly future-forward and I believe that’s a market where MS can carve out their own version of success.

H-I-M

There would still be Nintendo as competition.
And if you don't consider Nintendo as competition, why should they get away with being the only ones on "their" market ?

TJC

Can you expand on how Sony are lazy or arrogant?. They shown more impressive games(in my opinion), they also don't keep talking nonsense like the higher ups in Xbox.

Sony first party and highly competitive with each other, each studio congratulate each other but don't get it twisted, they want to make better games than each other. I don't see Sony having issues with games.

DinoD

Have you ever considered that for MS to win , Sony doesn't have to fail? Vice versa also applies.

You are a stooge mate.

the_master

The logic is solid, the underdog needs to work harder to offer a better product and services.

PS4 is so good because PS3 did not do so well, OG Xbox was so great because it had to enter the market, Xbone was not as good cause MS succeeded with 360...

I am shocked at how many people are attacking the OP. Also, you should consider each generation what console to pick independently of brand

DavidGzz

There would still be Nintendo as competition.
And if you don't consider Nintendo as competition, why should they get away with being the only ones on "their" market ?

Nintendo found their spot and they are still doing nothing compared to mobile gaming at large. I guess I am happy for them and don't care if they have a monopoly in their field because it doesn't attract me in the least. But they are a good example of a smaller company that didn't want to go toe to toe with Sony and MS so they went their own way. It is also a good example of a monopoly screwing people over. How much is a weak tablet called a Switch still, how much are the games, how expensive is their storage solution? Those Nintendo prices are high and can stay high for a reason.

I am shocked at how many people are attacking the OP. Also, you should consider each generation what console to pick independently of brand

I WISH I was shocked but I know where I am, lol! As soon as I started reading, I knew the SDF would come out in force.

Last edited:
Can't blame Sony for ms being bad competition for Sony and I think we've been treated ok since those first few years of the ps3's life you're never gonna get free online back for the foreseeable imho good online infrastructure takes money to run just look at all the cheats on free to play online games like warzone etc ...
I've gotta be honest ms haven't been competition at all this gen and ps have still released game after game along with decent discounts on games and improved the network infrastructure tenfold all while having virtually no competition.

Ellery

I think what I have to accept as a gamer is that Microsoft simply has different plans as far as gaming goes than what I would love to see.
The selfish part in me wants Microsoft to make games in the same vein (and quality) that Sony (and to a degree Nintendo) makes, but I have to be honest with the fact that they pursue an entirely different strategy. I often see myself as a gaming romantic. Console, controller, game disk, tv and have a great time in a Single Player Story Driven AAAA game.
Sadly this isn't the case as Microsoft wants to go for the "Netflix approach" (as much as people hate using that phrase it is very true) where people mass consume content that may not be the very best (their first Party lineup) or consume older Multi Platform titles from some time ago.

No idea if my feelings on the matter are right or not, but seeing Microsoft succeed could eventually lead to a downward spiral of quality. Nobody is bringing their A game to an All You Can Eat buffet when people pay a small for eating for a whole month.

Playstation is too important for Sony and you can feel that they are in it with their heart. We want this ride to continue as long as possible, before the inevitable game streaming fortnite microtransaction generation takes over.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
You read that right. I want the PS5 to fail miserably like PS3. Why? Because its best for us consumers. Remember when PS3 failed? It was great for us:
- Free Multiplayer (No PS+ needed)
- More and better Exclusives (imo)
- 3 free PS+ games monthly
- More aggressive price cuts(How tf PS4 is still 299$ after 7 years!!!)

If Xbox 360 hadn't been that successful, we wouldn't have gotten all this. With PS4, Sony got cocky and now we need PS+ for MP, we gotten less 1st or 2nd party exclusives this gen , less monthly ps+ games and higher console pricing.

I want the XSX to succeed and I hope that MS puts pressure on Sony with XSX, XSS, Gamepass etc., so we, the consumers, benefit from this friendly competition.

I am still going to buy a PS5 digital edition, but I dont want Sony to have a 2x sales advantage this gen. If sony sells 60-70m PS5s this gen, you could call it a failure. If MS sells the same (XSX+XSS combined) I would call this a success for them. What do you think?

EDIT: What I mean with this thread title: For example Sony selling "only" 80m PS5s (fail in comparison to PS4) and MS selling 70m Xbox Series X/S (success compared to Xbone)
Free multiplayer wasn’t because PS3 failed lol it was how Sony mandates it. PS3 didn’t fail it just didn’t do as well as ps2 or ps4

Lol ps4 sony first party is head and shoulder above ps3 sony first party.
In ps3 era few of them were great and the others were OK to good. Now most of them are great

I would prefer that they both do well. I think that the XSS, if priced right, could be MS’s ace in the hole and the perfect delivery agent for Gamepass.

Gamepass is truly future-forward and I believe that’s a market where MS can carve out their own version of success.
In my opinion Game pass promotes unfinished messy games since it needs constant flow of games .so I hope thats not the future whatso ever.

Games are not like movies . They take time

phil_t98

#SonyToo
In my opinion Game pass promotes unfinished messy games since it needs constant flow of games .so I hope thats not the future whatso ever.

movies take time and it’s not just Microsoft games on there. GTA been on there Red dead 2 been on there. Loads of other titles to

DavidGzz

So Fable, Avowed, State of Decay, etc are coming out soon? What do you know? Just kidding, I know it will be 2023 before we see any of those so how are they rushed? Are Netflix originals rushed and messy? I'm pretty sure MS bought a lot of studios so that they wouldn't need to rush any of them. They can spread their games out throughout the whole generation. With enough subs, which XSS will ensure they get, there is no need to rush anything.

So Fable, Avowed, State of Decay, etc are coming out soon? What do you know? Just kidding, I know it will be 2023 before we see any of those so how are they rushed? Are Netflix originals rushed and messy? I'm pretty sure MS bought a lot of studios so that they wouldn't need to rush any of them. They can spread their games out throughout the whole generation. With enough subs, which XSS will ensure they get, there is no need to rush anything.
Did you see The cloverfield paradox, Bright, the silence, the open house, fuller house, ect, ect? Yes they push whatever they think people might spend 5 min on.

Thia is basically another 'arrogant Sony' thread in disguise.

I would be more than happy to see Xbox go back to it's early 360 heyday though.

I loved that system until it had the Kinect craze, and Xbox has just not been good enough to compete since.

DavidGzz

Did you see The cloverfield paradox, Bright, the silence, the open house, fuller house, ect, ect? Yes they push whatever they think people might spend 5 min on.

Nope to be honest I've stuck to a few that got good work of mouth and loved them. Anyway, here is a list of what is out on GP within about a months time.

Yakuza Kiwami 2 (Day 1, July 30th, but still lol)
Darksiders Genesis
The Dark Pictures: Man of Medan
Final Fantasy VII
Trailblazers
Xeno Crisis
UnderMine (Day 1)
It Lurks Below (Day 1)
Spiritfarer (Day 1)
Battletoads (Day 1)
Tell Me Why (Day 1)
Microsoft Flight Simulator (Day 1)
New Super Luckys Tale (Day 1)
Wasteland 3 (Day 1)
Hypnospace Outlaw (Day 1)
Crossing Souls (Day 1)
Double Kick Heroes
Don't Starve: Giant Edition
Crusader Kings III (Day 1)
Resident Evil 7 (Edit: this is early September)

So, I think anyone talking shit about GP is being nonsensical. Just hating to hate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom