• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Devs: PS4/Xbox 3 By Jan 2014, Xbox 3 easiest/best selling, Wii U "too complex."

Pie Lord

What was a "righteous protest" against the PS3 complexity now it will become "lazy developers are throwing excuses." lol
The difference is that there is no evidence to suggest this complexity has anything to do with the Wii-U's architecture.

scitek

But I thought that the whole thing about the Wii U was that it's easy to develop for?
They're probably acting fucktarded and considering it a requirement that they use the controller in gimmicky new way regardless of what game it is. They like to do that.

64% ey? Sounds like those stupid "surveys" taken by IGN.

And I'm not surprised by developers saying they think the Wii U is difficult to develop for. Anything that varies from the norm (simple button controller that's been the standard for 10 years) has been poo-pooed by third parties. It's as if they won't even try anything new unless a bag of cash is thrown in their direction. Which is a shame. The industry should strive for innovation, and only a few members take this to heart.

Unless off course they're talking about the "programming" for Wii U, which is a different matter. It's Nintendo's job to give devs the tools to develop easy for the platform.

Orayn

So I'm guessing the nextbox and PS4 are going to avoid gimmicky/innovative controller types.

9QtoS.jpg

I'm going to quote this post once they've been officially announced.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Says WiiU's touchscreen makes developing "too complex"

Releases franchise spinoff game on iOS

I respect that Nintendo has the guts to do their own thing, but man, they really lost all appeal to me and this for a long time now.

Effect

The Wii U quote is pretty odd, unless it's one of those DS/Wii situations where a developer assumes they have to use every feature.

Which was always stupid to begin with because Nintendo themselves never did that from what I remember.

Excuses were always going to appear I feel. All reports so far have said the Wii U wasn't hard to develop for. At least no harder then for the Xbox 360 do to architecture being similar. I think it was in the speculation thread that it was suggested that some might have had problems on early dev kits because they were ignoring options that were available on the system and instead trying to direct copy and paste of games (not altering them which I assume would need to be done with any program) in order to test out the hardware. Unless systems are 1:1 that's never going to work so why even attempt that I wonder.

I'll take the words and comments from developers willing to put their names out there then someone hiding in the shadows. Also trust IGN to be telling the truth and not spin or make something up to get traffic right before E3? hahahaha

sublimit

Banned
The difference is that there is no evidence to suggest this complexity has anything to do with the Wii-U's architecture.

Except we don't know anything about the Wii U's architecture yet.Maybe the developers who do have the dev kits know more than we do. :)

Kazerei

Banned
The Wii U quote is pretty odd, unless it's one of those DS/Wii situations where a developer assumes they have to use every feature.

It's kind of baffling how early DS games and now Vita games have dumb touchscreen controls added to them for no good reason.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Apple console confirmed? =P

Also I'm curious what these devs mean by saying the Wii-U is too complex.

It's clearly about the controller and how to go about using it. They could be developing a game that just makes no real sense to throw something pointless onto the controller.

I highly doubt it's about the hardware inside the box. They are probably looking at it in terms of "power" similar to that of the 360/ps3 that we are hearing about and then going, So that tablet/controller thingy, Um are we going to do anything with it? As they are porting their games across.

I imagine first party and even third party exclusive titles will make use of the controller correctly (hopefully). Straight ports will probably be a map, stat, select screen, some other thing you probably won't really care about.

That Wii U quote is really weird. Most devs have said for a while it's really easy to work with, haven't they?
He specifically said he's not interested in adapting the games to use the extra feature in there (controller).

I'm guessing if he doesn't want to develop for it the might not even have a devkit, he clearly can't be arsed to care; and it's not a power problem since he didn't even mention it, it's a lazyness (and prejudice) problem.

These guys should be ashamed as professionals to go on record and say something like this. We get it, you're the epithome of lazy, I want your name so I don't support you with my money; although given your attitude I doubt you do anything worth of mention (let alone deserving my money).

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
The Wii U is too complex to develop for?

Who in the hell said that?

I think the complexity isn't really about the hardware itself, but rather about how they can utilize the tablet-controller. If they aren't able to get around that, then the WiiU is no different then the PS360. And seeing that this generation is comming to an end and developers are slowly moving away isn't really a good sign for third party support on the thing.

Sony does not seem to be ready to launch the PS4 so soon, and since Microsoft is making so much money with the xbox360 and they are not pressured by Sony, I don't think we will see the next consoles in 2013...because if MS were to launch the xbox720 the next Xmas, they would be showing something at E3.

Edit. I didn't read well the op, I thought they meant the end of this year, I think that launching by the end of 2013 is absolutely possible.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I wasn't planning on buying many 3rd party games on WiiU anyways. Just the good ole Nintendo games and whatever other exclusives exist.

test_account

XP-39C²
Yeah, because when someone say that it's a stupid excuse, he must be a butthurt unreasonable person.
I'm sure this is too complex to display a map on a controller. Too complex.
To be fair, there is nothing in that quote that says "too complex" is about the controller. That is just an assumption.

Instro

Well everything is custom designed and the gpu is said to have some special/exotic functions so I'm sure there is some learning curve with the hardware.

ZAK

One creator went as far as saying, “we won’t be working on Wii U due to these complexities,” while another lamented the difficulty of moving innovative games unique to Wii U to other platforms.
Oh boy. Lowest common denominator content, here we come. Good thing we still have first party developers.

Matt

They must only be talking about the controller, and not even the technical act of programming for it, but the fact that they might have to use a little brainpower to think of good ways of using the controller that they can get rid of for the other versions.

Making products for the Wii U is easy, both for developers with Wii experience and other PowerPC experience.

Nintendo shouldn't even bother releasing the system if it isn't incredibly easy to develop for. Making third parties very happy during Year #1 should be their top priority, and it'd be scary if it isn't. Very strange quote...I find it hard to believe, but would be a huge mistake on Nintendo's part if this ends up being a challenge to develop for. They should be working more closely with third parties right now than they ever have...

Rhindle

The reason developers will not work with the WiiU much is the same reason they won't be working with the 360/PS3 much after next year.

Once next-gen platforms hit, the focus will shift to those platforms very quickly, same as it did once the 360 launched in Nov 2005. That's where the user base for people willing to pay $60 a game is going to be, so that's who publishers will target.

Pie Lord

Except we don't know anything about the Wii U's architecture yet.Maybe the developers who do have the dev kits know more than we do. :)
Obviously they know more about the Wii-U then we do. However, how much we actually know about the console's architecture is debatable. Based on what we've been told by Vigil, it seems likely that the Wii-U has an architecture fairly similar to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

popeutlal

From a hardware perspective, nearly 80% of respondents said Microsoft’s next console is the easiest to work with, and the overwhelming majority suspect it will be the sales leader over the next five years.
3rd parties have already picked a winner.

To be fair, there is nothing in that quote that says "too complex" is about the controller. That is just an assumption.

You're right. I've misread, I thought that the one lamented about moving innovating games to Wii U was the same who said it was too complex. But for my defense, english is not my native language.:p

Boss Man

Title is a bit misleading, while 64% of the devs see Wii U as the biggest hassle to work with, only one of them is cited as saying "Not going to." and one other is cited in a way that insinuates that they don't want to mess with the tablet.

That unannounced console line is intriguing...

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Nintendo shouldn't even bother releasing the system if it isn't incredibly easy to develop for. Making third parties very happy during Year #1 should be their top priority, and it'd be scary if it isn't. Very strange quote...I find it hard to believe, but would be a huge mistake on Nintendo's part if this ends up being a challenge to develop for. They should be working more closely with third parties right now than they ever have...

Pfft. They can dominate MS and Sony on their 1st party alone.

Rapstah

But developing for the completely standard PS3 architecture is easy as shit, amirite?

Once again, it might be today after they've struggled with learning it and Sony has updated the tools for its entire cycle! Stop comparing them!

Oh boy. Lowest common denominator content, here we come. Good thing we still have first party developers.

Funny thing is that I don't think that developer is making innovative and unique games for the WiiU.

It's such a weird complaint, "I can make a innovative and unique game for WiiU, but since the other consoles don't have a screen controller I won't! Now back to bald space marine 1313."

i-Lo

From a hardware perspective, nearly 80% of respondents said Microsoft’s next console is the easiest to work with, and the overwhelming majority suspect it will be the sales leader over the next five years

I thought that Sony chose a much more conventional hardware design after partnering with AMD. If that's the case then why is this still the case?

Those developers are probably B-tier anyway. And will close down in 2 years max.

Oh yes, the sour grapes argument.

Top Bottom