• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Devs: PS4/Xbox 3 By Jan 2014, Xbox 3 easiest/best selling, Wii U "too complex."

JABEE

Oh boy. Lowest common denominator content, here we come. Good thing we still have first party developers.

I think it has more to do with creating assets and content that can only be used on one platform. It isn't as easy as just porting games from PS3 and Xbox 360 to Wii U. If the costs of developing a Wii U game do not outweigh developing for one of the other consoles, it makes sense.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The complex comment suprises me, but I'm not suprised that developers aren't going to be willing to get creative with the Wii U Tablet. I guess the idea is that if the gameplay ideas introduced with the U version can't be applied to the other versions, then it's simply not worth doing.

I'm getting a feeling that the top developers are going to blow the U off when PS4 and Durango arrive.

W1SSY

"Multiple developers also intend to launch software for an unannounced platform next year."

Vita 2 ?

Obviously Vita®go.

What the developers mean to say is they don't want to have to hassle with coming up with something for the screen on the Wii U.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Oooh, mystery platform? I'm guessing Steambox or iTV.

Pfft. They can dominate MS and Sony on their 1st party alone.

N64 and GameCube say hello.

Barring lightning striking twice with the casual audience with Wii U, they are going to need to reverse the trend of getting poor third party support on their home consoles. If they aren't making that a high priority item, then I'm not sure what they are doing.

test_account

XP-39C²
You're right. I've misread, I thought that the one lamented about moving innovating games to Wii U was the same who said it was too complex. But for my defense, english is not my native language.:p
Ah, i see. Yeah, it could look like it is about the same developer who said both things.

By the way, i didnt mean to single you out, sorry, because i see that other people here who said the same thing regarding making stuff for the controller would be too complex. It is fully possible that this is what the developer ment, but i just wanted to mention that it is only an assumption :)

Anyway, the title of the article and of this thread is really misleading.
IGN said that devs struggle with the Wii U, but that's not what has really been said.
They said it's challenging, but it doesn't mean they struggling with the hardware itself, it can be about making a good use of the pad. Find ideas.

bachikarn

So 37% said it wasn't the most complex to work with? Where does IGN get these numbers?

If true, pretty disappointing. I thought Nintendo's original goal with the thing was to entice third party developers back by making it easy to work with. Although recent rumors indicate the GPU might have "unique" features that 3rd party developers might not want to waste their time with.

sp3000

Honestly it's a joke if Wii U hardware ends up on par with 2005 hardware. 7 year old technology is not something to be praised

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Funny, I thought third parties didn't support Wii that much.
The PS360 configuration is what I was talking about. The Wii U ports won't have much differences than the PS360/NextBox/PS4 versions. What I'm talking about is nothing new.

pax217

In this thread: GAF members respond to shitty IGN article.

Don't mean to add more rain to what is the ocean of what seems to be annoyed GAFers, but after reading through it all, that's about what we've got here.

That said, WHAT THE HELL DO YOU MEAN IT'S "TOO COMPLEX"?

Boss Man

N64 and GameCube say hello.

Barring lightning striking twice with the casual audience with Wii U, they are going to need to reverse the trend of getting poor third party support on their home consoles. If they aren't making that a high priority item, then I'm not sure what they are doing.
Banking on the success of the Wii, apparently. Wii U.

goomba

Banned
Hah every generation devs have their excuses.

n64: lol cartridges
gc: lol mini disks
wii: lol graphics
wii-u: lol too complex

Too complex is the worst yet. I think the truth is developers don't want to compete with Nintendo games because they see them more as competitors than they see Sony and MS. Sales charts tend to agree.

KageMaru

It's clearly about the controller and how to go about using it. They could be developing a game that just makes no real sense to throw something pointless onto the controller.

I highly doubt it's about the hardware inside the box. They are probably looking at it in terms of "power" similar to that of the 360/ps3 that we are hearing about and then going, So that tablet/controller thingy, Um are we going to do anything with it? As they are porting their games across.

I imagine first party and even third party exclusive titles will make use of the controller correctly (hopefully). Straight ports will probably be a map, stat, select screen, some other thing you probably won't really care about.

It could be many things, such as poor tools, or an aspect of the design being over-engineered.

Regardless, I would be highly surprised if the ps4 and 720 were any easier to develop for.

Sony does not seem to be ready to launch the PS4 so soon, and since Microsoft is making so much money with the xbox360 and they are not pressured by Sony, I don't think we will see the next consoles in 2013...because if MS were to launch the xbox720 the next Xmas, they would be showing something at E3.

MS isn't going to show the next Xbox 18 months in advanced.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, which other than the mentioned case of unique tablet controller heavy games is still an idiotic excuse. Slap a menu screen or map on it and call it a day, the controller is the same as the others.

I do understand the issue perfectly with unique games. That being said I never expected much from mostly intellectually bankrupt western devs in that regard anyhow.

I don't think that's fair at all.

Wii U is an unproven new platform. From a business perspective, it would be a huge gamble to throw a large amount of money at an ambitious project for the console, especially if it wouldn't be easy to port that game to other platforms.

Too complex is the worst yet. I think the truth is developers don't want to compete with Nintendo games.

None of them are terrible excuses if you're just looking at it from a business perspective. It's like Nintendo goes out of their way to make it difficult to port games designed for their platforms to other platforms. Honestly, that's probably fine from their perspective. More exclusive titles.

From a 3rd party publisher's perspective, it's not very attractive. If you want to design a game for a Nintendo platform, it will be difficult to port elsewhere, and you'll be competing with 1st party Nintendo games.

"We won't be woking on Wii U due to its complexities. However, we are perfectly fine porting shit over to the PS3 because it's the easiest shit to deal with"

pretty stupid statement.

The reason shit was ported to ps3 was because PS3 was selling more in other regions than North America.

Haunted

Next generation in 2013 still makes me tremendously sad. :( Fuck you MS/Sony.

Just how many times will 3rd parties continue to fuck up? When nintendo beats the shit out of both MS and Sony again, what will they say this time?
All signs point to having a repeat of last generation with third parties and Nintendo.

sp3000

Too complex is the worst yet. I think the truth is developers don't want to compete with Nintendo games.

Hahaha. Keep telling yourself that at night. A console with minimal third party releases is something only Nintendo fans could be proud of.

They compete with Nintendo games even if they release their games on other systems...

It's not like I split my gaming money between consoles...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
But I thought that the whole thing about the Wii U was that it's easy to develop for?

It's probably "complex" in the same way it would be complex to port a 360/PS3 game to the Vita, as opposed to like... the base product actually being complex to develop for.

I thought that Sony chose a much more conventional hardware design after partnering with AMD. If that's the case then why is this still the case?
Microsoft will still have the edge for low tier devs with stuff like XNA.

Although Sony has that engine of theirs to counter the costs of doing a project for the ground up for their platforms if you're a small dev, but most devs never worked on it because it's not meant for cross platforming (duh).

I'll wait and see, a partnership with AMD doesn't mean they'll have a x86 CPU this time around does it? emulating a CELL CPU would be hard they might stay on that architecture a while longer IMO.

Boss Man

The PS360 configuration is what I was talking about. The Wii U ports won't have much differences than the PS360/NextBox/PS4 versions.
Wut? I don't think that we're going to see many games developed for all five of those consoles except in the very early beginning of the cycle, and I doubt there "won't be many differences" between Orbis/Durango and Wii U- which seems to be what these devs are saying as well.

Matt

It's probably "complex" in the same way it would be complex to port a 360/PS3 game to the Vita, as opposed to like... the base product actually being complex to develop for.

But the thing is, it's not. At all.

I don't get this.

Mlatador

Banned
I wonder what "complexities" they are talking about. Are they already developing stuff for the WiiU or are they just a bunch of those biased devs who aren't planning on develping for the WiiU in the first place?

I wonder if they are intimidated by the creative requirements they have to deal with when develpoing something "NEW" for the WiiU.

Also, who are those devs excactly? I really like to know if they are or were involved in any PS3 development, because that was actually a really hard console to develop for (yet, a shit-ton of games came out for the system).

Anyway, other devs say it's really easy to work with the system.

Btw, IGN SUCKS BALLS!

goomba

Banned
Hahaha. Keep telling yourself that at night. A console with minimal third party releases is something only Nintendo fans could be proud of.

Who said anyone would be proud of it?, I think any Nintendo fan would like more 3rd party support because it would render the need to purchase an additional console obsolete.

Yoda

I wonder what the unannounced platform is? As they reference "PS4/X720" it would seem to be another product entirely. Perhaps Microsoft wants in on the mobile gaming market? lol... In all seriousness maybe those valve box rumors were holding more water than we originally thought.

Chances are the Wii U "complexity" is a result of its touchscreen controller being mandatory to include in all third-party games developed for it.

JABEE

Too complex is the worst yet. I think the truth is developers don't want to compete with Nintendo games because they see them more as competitors than they see Sony and MS. Sales charts tend to agree.

Didn't Wii also lack an online presence that many third party developers profited off of.

One of the very first developer comments about the WiiU was from Vigil saying precisely how easy the porting process was.

I dunno. Something doesn't match up.

Top Bottom