• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Posts Up More Project Cafe Hardware Power Rumors

Durante

mrklaw said:
(implement a custom efficient MLAA)
Please no. MLAA sucks compared to regular 4xMSAA. It's a good deal better than nothing, but I'd want something better in a next-gen (or even .5 gen) console.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Durante said:
Please no. MLAA sucks compared to regular 4xMSAA. It's a good deal better than nothing, but I'd want something better in a next-gen (or even .5 gen) console.
nvidia are making a new AA technique which is supposed to combine the benefits of MLAA and MSAA.

AceBandage said:
The fuck...

Also, another article written by people that have no idea what console tech actually does.

Basically. I wouldn't pay that article any mind.

herzogzwei1989 said:
Another thing, and this probably comes out of left-field, no matter what Rx7xx GPU the Cafe's GPU is based on, this will be the first time that Nintendo's console has some of the old Lockheed Martin Real3D tech in it. Remember GameCube and Wii both use ArtX tech. It wasn't until after the ATI acquisition of ArtX that ATI then acquired a major chunk of Real3D. In the early 2000s (IIRC) ATI took over Real3D's Orlando office. It became ATI's Orlando design center. Many of the former Real3D engineers have been working on ATI's GPUs for a decade now. None of this made it into Wii's Hollywood GPU because Hollywood is merely an overclocked Flipper which is tech from 1999. Real3D was great, they provided Sega with their tech for the Model 3 arcade board and before that, the Model 2 board under Martin Marietta before Lockheed took over. The raw power and sheer image quality that Real3D provided Sega was second to none. The Real3D/Pro-1000 GPUs in Model 3 were actually superior to Dreamcast in some ways. It's great that Cafe will have combined tech from the former Real3D, ArtX and all of ATI/AMD.

It was unfortunate that Gamecube's hardware was finalized before it was able to take advantage of ATI's acquisition of ArtX so it could have been even more competitive to the Xbox1. I recall someone stating that Gamecube's flipper was one of the last great chips of its kind. In a way, this system can be considered as a "Gamecube 2" in a technological sense. Looking forward to see what they will come up with.

Indeed.
It's not like it'll be hard to port it (in fact, it should run better than the other console versions). Plus, publishers will want that kind of game on every system they can put it on.

lwilliams3 said:
It was unfortunate that Gamecube's hardware was finalized before it was able to take advantage of ATI's acquisition of ArtX so it could have been even more competitive to the Xbox1. I recall someone stating that Gamecube's flipper was one of the last great chips of its kind. In a way, this system can be considered as a "Gamecube 2" in a technological sense. Looking forward to see what they will come up with.

I can't wait myself. Hopefully the Rx7xx tech is improved, revamped, upgraded and incorporates a nice chuck of high-bandwidth embedded RAM.

E3 is just over 2 weeks away!

Death Dealer said:
I don't see why it wouldn't come to Cafe. It should be the definitive console version.

Yeah, I don't see why not either. Even if Cafe only has the RV740 GPU as its base, it could run Skyrim with the same graphics as 360/PS3 but at twice the framerate. I don't even care if it's only 720p.

Mr_Brit

Banned
AceBandage said:
Indeed.
It's not like it'll be hard to port it (in fact, it should run better than the other console versions). Plus, publishers will want that kind of game on every system they can put it on.
Unorthodox controls may make it hard to port games. Look at the PSP, it's easily able to run the majority of last gen games but it's poor control scheme made it difficult/impossible to port many games to it.

Mr_Brit said:
Unorthodox controls may make it hard to port games. Look at the PSP, it's easily able to run the majority of last gen games but it's poor control scheme made it difficult/impossible to port many games to it.

Eh? Based on everything we've heard, it'll have the same kind of control set up as the 360/PS3.

Mr_Brit

Banned
AceBandage said:
Eh? Based on everything we've heard, it'll have the same kind of control set up as the 360/PS3.
I was only speculating on a possible reason for it not getting ports, I wasn't suggesting it was definitely going to have a different control setup.

Instro

herzogzwei1989 said:
Here's a rather negative article on Cafe, for you haters out there.

Nintendo’s Project Cafe: Too Little Too Late?

The techies over at IGN recently created their own version of the Project Cafe that you can check out here, showing us that the graphics on Nintendo’s new console will be almost identical to Xbox 360 and PS3. That’s great, but the 360 has already been out for six years. I think they missed that train back in 2005.

IGN's mockup clearly has done a good job confusing people about what the system will be capable of.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Grampa Simpson said:
It reads more like hope than speculation.
Actually it was purely speculation, I've done so previously in the thread with regards to Wii 2 having a poor online infrastructure and what that would do to third party support/ports, we know nothing about their online infrastructure or their control scheme but we can still speculate on theoretical scenarios.

I really want to know what goes through a person's mind that causes them to be so offended when someone isn't 100% positive about their favourite corporation.

*proceeds to read his tag*
Grampa Simpson said:
As a real gamer, I want Nintendo in 1st place. Sony all but killed gaming when they started putting games on CDs and made it about cinematic cutscenes and voice acting. Because of them we no longer play video games, we watch them.
It all makes sense now.

Mr_Brit

Banned
AceBandage said:
Low, I'd say.
New York Times or Washington Post? Pretty good.
Do Nintendo give out technical specs at E3 or ever? Will we have to wait for leaks from devs to find out what its specs are?

Mr_Brit said:
Do Nintendo give out technical specs at E3 or ever? Will we have to wait for leaks from devs to find out what its specs are?
Nintendo hasn't given out specs since the GC. And they definitely won't do it at E3.

Mr_Brit said:

likely, the only way we'll found out the true specs is when someone opens it up after release or someone leaks a unit off the production line like with the 3DS and its ram figure.

Instro

J-Rock said:
IGN always does a good job at confusing people.

Pretty much, its an inherent trait of most of the gaming press I think.

herzogzwei1989 said:
What are the chances of Nikkei providing some concrete info, before E3?

The fact that we haven't heard anything from Nikkei on the subject already, combined with the theory that the leaks have been coming from western devs, makes it seems pretty unlikely.

Particularly because E3 is a western event, rather than something like TGS, it makes it much harder for them to get info I would imagine.

AceBandage said:
Nintendo hasn't given out specs since the GC. And they definitely won't do it at E3.

They would be releasing the most powerful console on the market with the Cafe, could be a good reason for them to release some specs this time around but I dont expect them too.

mugurumakensei said:
likely, the only way we'll found out the true specs is when someone opens it up after release or someone leaks a unit off the production line like with the 3DS and its ram figure.

we still barely know anything about the 3DS's CPU other than it was an ARM 11 or something

Mr_Brit

Banned
mugurumakensei said:
AceBandage said:
As I thought. I was looking forward to some GAF meltdowns/3DS style hype explosions at E3 but I guess that probably won't happen now.

Mr_Brit said:
As I thought. I was looking forward to some GAF meltdowns/3DS style hype explosions at E3 but I guess that probably won't happen now.

Those would happen regardless. It'll be up to what trailers are shown, not what the specs are.

AceBandage said:
Those would happen regardless. It'll be up to what trailers are shown, not what the specs are.

I suppose it won't be THAT difficult to guess what's powering Cafe based on the trailers shown.

I hope we get at least a Metroid trailer or tech-demo given that a Zelda one isn't too likely as that would take Skyward Sword's thunder away.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Grampa Simpson said:
Yeah. I don't do that anymore. Doesn't prevent me from recognizing it.
Nothing I've done or said should make you think I did that, the only reason you would have to post what you did is that I made an unfavourable comment towards Nintendo which backs up your tag. Give me a good reason for you making your post and I'll acknowledge I was wrong about you.

herzogzwei1989 said:
I suppose it won't be THAT difficult to guess what's powering Cafe based on the trailers shown.

I hope we get at least a Metroid trailer or tech-demo given that a Zelda one isn't too likely as that would take Skyward Sword's thunder away.
Not really, tech demos are usually quite far from the games that are delivered so it'd be hard to nail down a good estimate of the specs.

herzogzwei1989 said:

I guess. a Zelda tech demo would be nice. but they would have to fill the entire screen with TECH DEMO just so they won't have a repeat of the last tech demo. the same with Mario

Instro said:
They would be releasing the most powerful console on the market with the Cafe, could be a good reason for them to release some specs this time around but I dont expect them too.

That would only give Sony & MS a talking point for when they eventually release a system with much better specs. It would be the pointless 8/16/32/64bit wars all over again.

I would bet that 90% of the people discussing specs in this thread don't really even know what it all means in the first place, so there is no reason for Nintendo to make it a topic of current or future conversation when the games will speak for themselves.

Mr_Brit

Banned
AceBandage said:
Here's all they have to say:

"The Cafe can run UE3 in 1080P at 60FP"

Bam.
That tells us nothing really without knowing the game it's running. I'm sure even iPad 2 could run UE3 at 1080p/60FPS if the game running was simple enough.

AceBandage said:

Bam.

does that really mean anything? we are talking about an engine itself, not the full game. does that mean all of UE3 features at 1080p/60fps? I always saw little value in that kind of quote. someone correct me please

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
AceBandage said:

Bam.
As other have pointed out, that' doens't have much meaning on itself. An specific title would be another thing, though.

Instro

swerve said:
Didn't Nikkei break Wii Fit Plus and New Super Mario Brothers before E3 2009?

EDIT: yup

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=16073157

Well then I guess it is a possibility then.

BlackNMild2k1 said:
That would only give Sony & MS a talking point for when they eventually release a system with much better specs. It would be the pointless 8/16/32/64bit wars all over again.

I would bet that 90% of the people discussing specs in this thread don't really even know what it all means in the first place, so there is no reason for Nintendo to make it a topic of current or future conversation when the games will speak for themselves.

Hm yeah, it would be nice though, even if they only gave some vague or basic info.

TUROK

From The Dust said:
does that really mean anything? we are talking about an engine itself, not the full game. does that mean all of UE3 features at 1080p/60fps? I always saw little value in that kind of quote. someone correct me please
It would just be PR speak, but the uninformed eat that shit up. Remember Killzone 2? "Hundreds of light sources!" "Ray-casting!" "Parallax occlusion mapping!" Nothing new at all, but most of the people on these and other boards were acting like it was.

Nintendo could use a bit of PR hyperbole in regard to the Cafe.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
TUROK said:
It would just be PR speak, but the uninformed eat that shit up. Remember Killzone 2? "Hundreds of light sources!" "Ray-casting!" "Parallax occlusion mapping!" Nothing new at all, but most of the people on these and other boards were acting like it was.

Nintendo could use a bit of PR hyperbole in regard to the Cafe.

But they rather follow Apple strategy and talk about Magic and stuff.

Mr_Brit said:
Nothing I've done or said should make you think I did that, the only reason you would have to post what you did is that I made an unfavourable comment towards Nintendo which backs up your tag. Give me a good reason for you making your post and I'll acknowledge I was wrong about you.
Oh, I had a massive hate-on for Sony, and I'll plainly say that I'm still not a fan of them. That's not in question.

You have a tendency to come into Nintendo threads and post things like this:

It'd be highly unlikely to have a Hard drive and even if it did it'd be even less likely to be user replaceable.
Which seems counter-intuitive to everything that they've stated so far.
Suggesting that they'll have an unorthodox control scheme when every halfway credible rumor has said standard controls plus a six inch screen.

It comes off a hope for failure on Nintendo's part and it's bloody annoying.

Although it is pretty damn funny how defensive you get about it.

donny2112

My expectations:

* Cafe will be 3-4x as powerful (overall system-wise) than 360
* Trailers will be shown at E3
* Playable demos of current-gen ports will be shown + 1 or 2 Nintendo games at E3
* "People" will look at the screens/youtube videos and say they look no better than Killzone or Halo
* "Other people" will say it looks like a good PS2-level game (some people's memories of what previous generation games looked like are insane)
* Almost no one will be swayed from where they assume it will fall graphics-wise than what they think right now
* And forums' reactions will amount to hardly a bit of difference for how ever many consoles it sells

Mr_Brit

Banned
Grampa Simpson said:
Oh, I had a massive hate-on for Sony, and I'll plainly say that I'm still not a fan of them. That's not in question.

You have a tendency to come into Nintendo threads and post things like this:

Which seems counter-intuitive to everything that they've stated so far.

Suggesting that they'll have an unorthodox control scheme when every halfway credible rumor has said standard controls plus a six inch screen.

It comes off a hope for failure on Nintendo's part and it's bloody annoying.

Although it is pretty damn funny how defensive you get about it.
What? The strongest rumours point to the system using flash memory like the Wii did so of course I'm going to say that a Hard drive is highly unlikely.

I've speculated several times on scenarios such as poor online, unorthodox controls, low storage space and you're the first person to suggest me wanting Nintendo to fail which combined with your tag suggests that you have some dissonance which enables you to connect the logical points I'm making to the illogical conclusion that I want Nintendo to fail.

Mr_Brit

Banned
AceBandage said:
The rumor from Kotaku is the strongest rumor?
In terms of storage space then yes. Stephen Totilo even staked his credibility in the rumour that it is shipping with 8GB of flash memory, he was very adamant he wasn't making the rumour up. If there are stronger rumours then go ahead and post so.

Top Bottom