• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Ranks Every Halo Map

Am I supposed to wait a few days for the other ranks?

I wonder where Sidewinder/Ice Fields/Timberland will rank. Good old Halo 1 days.

I don't think I've ever hated or had a favorite Halo map so this list means nothing to me but it is interesting to see others opinions.

Wonderllama

Neo Member
A lot of the Reach maps were underrated. I especially liked the map packs. I remember thinking the colors really stood out on those.

I would be pretty happy if Halo Reach was announced as DLC for the Master Chief Collection.

GhaleonEB

Edit: I am derp.

I think a strict ranking of maps is futile. Should have a listing separating out maps by major game type. I don't think it really works to rank BTB next to 4v4 maps as that implicitly ranks the modes against one another. (Which is a whole other can of worms.)

wtf @ tempest and Cold Storage

And where are Backwash and Sword Base, and Boardwalk

Rat Race is a great BTB map, some of the best games I ever had in Halo 3 were on it. Excellent for Slayer, CTF and Assault.

At any rate, I think a strict ranking of maps is futile. Should have a listing separating out maps by major game type. I don't think it really works to rank BTB next to 4v4 maps as that implicitly ranks the modes against one another. (Which is a whole other can of worms.)

Rat Race, not Rat's Nest

Sean

Banned
This list fucked up already by not having Backwash (the foggy swamp map from Halo 2 DLC) at the very bottom.

That map was so shitty that Bungie even removed it from matchmaking after everyone complained if I remember correctly.

Oozer3993

Rat Race is a great BTB map, some of the best games I ever had in Halo 3 were on it. Excellent for Slayer, CTF and Assault.

At any rate, I think a strict ranking of maps is futile. Should have a listing separating out maps by major game type. I don't think it really works to rank BTB next to 4v4 maps as that implicitly ranks the modes against one another. (Which is a whole other can of worms.)

Rat Race is a Halo 1 map. And it's close quarters, with no vehicles. I think you're getting it confused with another map.

Kuroyume

Banned
On what planet is Foundry better than Condemned, Zealot, Anchor 9, or Gemini? Hell, all those maps are better than Valhalla also. Those Reach maps are too low when you consider crap like Isolation, Epitaph, Constuct and Narrows are still to come.

wtf @ tempest and Cold Storage

And where are Backwash and Sword Base, and Boardwalk

Higher on the list where they belong... Maybe not Backwash.

On what planet is Foundry better than Condemned, Zealot, Anchor 9, or Gemini? Hell, all those maps are better than Valhalla also. Those Reach maps are too low when you consider crap like Isolation, Epitaph, Constuct and Narrows are still to come.

Higher on the list where they belong... Maybe not Backwash.

Zealot and Gemini are garbage, Anchor 9 isn't great.

Isolation and Construct, we agree. Narrows and Epitaph are ok, just samey

Pudge

This list fucked up already by not having Backwash (the foggy swamp map from Halo 2 DLC) at the very bottom.

That map was so shitty that Bungie even removed it from matchmaking after everyone complained if I remember correctly.

Bungie removed Backwash from matchmaking because the fog effect they used crashed Xbox 360s.

Here's my ranking:

The Pit and Lockout top 2

You can argue about the rest.

No maps from anything after Halo 3 on principle.

Source

Pretty much every Halo: Reach and Halo 4 map should be at the bottom, so much trash in those two titles. And Backwash gets more hate than it deserves, people will see if they play it again in Halo 2 classic multiplayer. Backwash is better than any of the Halo: Reach and Halo 4 map offerings...except Haven from Halo 4.

Oozer3993

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many Halo 4 maps already. I'm not saying the maps in that game are great (though Haven and a couple others are), but they certainly don't deserve to be listed before any of these:

Epitaph
Backwash
Construct
Isolation
Orbital
Boardwalk
Whatever that God forsaken Blood Gulch remake in Reach was called

Seems to be a lot of hate for my favorite maps being 'too confusing'...In the case of Chiron especially, as well as Rat Race (goddamn ceiling tunnels) and Boarding Action (Taking the wrong tele right into a waiting enemy), I felt the confusion was part of the appeal. I loved turning off shields and setting 50% health to turn them into pretty passable twitch shooter matches.

JackHerer

Not the greatest start for this list. A lot of those maps deserve to be higher and there are many maps that are worse than those. Quite a few Halo 4 maps which is fine but Skyline, Monolith, and Pitfall were among the few decent maps in that game. Some of those quotes from Kynan Pearson are a bit cringe worthy.

I generally think that the map quality started to drop as early as Halo 3 even though it still had a bunch of solid maps. It had a lot to live up to with Halo 2 having so many incredible maps though. My favorite map is probably Sanctuary. Lockout is kind of overrated IMO.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
My Top 10 in no particular order

Ivory Tower
Powerhouse (Criminally Underated Map IMO)
Hang Em High
Haven
Beaver Creek
Lockout
Headlong/Breakneck
Assembly
Guardian
Adrift

Also Zealot and anchor 9 should be a bit higher , as should damnation.

Zealot on that game mode ( the name escapes me ) where you can have like 4 teams of two on it was absolute bliss/chaos, so much fun and anchor 9 i thought was an alright medium ranged map.

Pretty difficult to out all these maps in order as most of them have atleast 1 good game mode in them.

Top Bottom