• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Ranks Every Halo Map

#87 - Boarding Action.
#100 - Damnation.

WTF IGN those are fun maps, BA requires skill to play since you can be shot from the other side...

My top five.

1.Hang Em High
2.Coagulation
3.Damnation
4.Lockout
5.Guardian

I really love the Halo CE maps.

My top five.

1.Hang Em High

1.Hang Em High

1318.gif

Isocr4cy

Monolith at 104 is just crazy talk, same with Skyline at 86. I know Halo 4 isn't exactly a fan favorite but god damn, those are 2 of my favorite maps in the whole franchise.

Guardian
Lockout
Monolith
Midship
Avalanche
Burial Mounds
Skyline
Containment
Headlong
Hang 'em High

This would probably be my personal top 10, although probably not in this order.

reddish

Neo Member
My Top 5.

Damnation- Love the verticality of the map, the skill jumps and drops, item locations that are very risk/reward, and 1v1 on it is the most tense multiplayer experience out there.

Zanzibar - 1 flag CTF on Zanzi is unforgettable no matter which side you were on. Storming in from the beach or defending the base are both where the necessity of Halo's teamwork seem most balanced and important.

Sidewinder - In my opinion, the best large map in the entire series by a mile, 8v8 CTF is the most fun I've ever had in the franchise, even if the map isn't great at many other modes.

Lockout - I've never been super interested in the MLG-style of play in the series that always gravitates towards the small symmetrical maps, but Lockout is just a perfect small arena-style map that works with just about every mode.

Waterworks - Because of the many ways you could get across the maps, the general dark atmosphere, heavy vehicles, central choke point and the secure bases -- I always felt this was the most rewarding BTB map. It could be played in so many different styles and splitting up your team into mini-squads to try stealth, warthog runs, central sniping, and defense, was always incredibly intense.

Honorable mentions: Turf, Blood Gulch, The Pit, High Ground, Burial Mounds, and Headlong.

Slixshot

Banned
My top 5:

1. Lockout
2. Guardian
3. Coagulation
4. Ascension
5. Boardwalk

Very few maps that I didn't enjoy in this series.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
1. Midship
2. Lockout
3. Sanctuary
4. The Pit
5. Beaver Creek

Man, this was harder than I expected (besides #1 of course).

Guardian is definitely my favorite. Everything including the aesthetics are so good. Following that I'm not sure. Hang Em High, Ascension, and Reflection/Ivory Tower are all up there.

As a Halo: CE fan, I can already tell this list isn't for me.
Yep. Some of the reasons they give for not liking certain maps are pretty lame - getting confused on damnation? Really? All that tells me is that they didn't play on that map like ever. It's about as asymmetrical as you can get.

EDIT:
Hang em high, blood gulch and sidewinder all tied for first
I never enjoyed sidewinder that much, even for it being the only other large scale outdoor map aside from blood gulch. Big map? yes. Great map? no.

My favorite maps.

Halo CE: Blood Gulch/Hang em High (I can't decide)

Halo 2: Lockout/Terminal

Halo 3: Valhalla

Halo Reach: Swordbase

Halo 4: Haven

I think Halo 2 had the best maps.
I know this is blasphemy but I really don't like Midship much.

MIMIC

Banned
As long as The Pit is in the top 10, I'll be happy. Top 5 and I'm happier.

I don't think I've ever hated or had a favorite Halo map so this list means nothing to me but it is interesting to see others opinions.

Isolation (Halo 3) was the only map I ever hated.

My top 10 of the maps included in the MCC, not in order. I tried to spread them out across the games.

Blood Gulch
Sidewinder (PC Version)
Death Island
Ascension
Lockout
Warlock
Sanctuary
Valhalla (or Ragnarok)
Avalanche
Meltdown

Bsigg12

A little off topic but has anyone seen anything on when the content update would be going live for preloads to download?

As a BTB only player I put Waterworks on top. God I loved that map. Only one or two of you defending and you see an incoming fully loaded Warthog. It was on. Really enjoyed defending(camping) on that map.
Any site have a list of every map with pics? I'll need pics for the 25% of the names I don't recall.

blamite

Are the people defending District actually thinking of Turf (amazing map), or do they actually really love that Vistas-exclusive, half-ripped-from-campaign mess?

jem0208

Edit: I am derp.

I think a strict ranking of maps is futile. Should have a listing separating out maps by major game type. I don't think it really works to rank BTB next to 4v4 maps as that implicitly ranks the modes against one another. (Which is a whole other can of worms.)
You also have the issue when comparing maps from different games, you're also comparing the respective sandboxes.

It really doesn't work but it's quite a nice idea and its something interesting to talk about.

Edit: That'll be why Reach and 4 feature so heavily at the bottom of the list. I mean why the hell is Pitfall, a remake of The Pit so low?

Boarding Action at that position? C'mon IGN.

I had some great 1v1 matches on that map. So much potential for ambushing and long-range pistol shootouts from one side to the other.

Top Bottom