• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Ranks Every Halo Map

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
As a BTB only player I put Waterworks on top. God I loved that map. Only one or two of you defending and you see an incoming fully loaded Warthog. It was on. Really enjoyed defending(camping) on that map.
Any site have a list of every map with pics? I'll need pics for the 25% of the names I don't recall.

I honestly greatly prefered headlong over waterworks in BTB. Granted they were different maps setup wise. WW was better for 2CTF and HL was 1CTF & Assault.

Not sure why Anchor 9 is so low. It's not amazing or anything, but it definitely deserves to be around top 50 or so. Whatever, when rank 110 things there's no way people would be happy with the placement.

Wow, I just realized they don't have Isolation near the bottom. That map is fucking dog shit. I don't think there's a map in any game that hate more than Isolation. I know this sounds like some crazy exaggeration, but I'd get nauseous playing it.

Snowbound and Isolation are worse than Construct imo, Construct felt different to me, but I liked it.

No one is mentioning High Ground ITT? That's one I remember liking.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I really, really loved Lockout.

But, that said, Zanzibar should be #1. It was so good for every game type.

Well... not so good for multi/neutral flag or bomb, koth, oddball or territories

Best map for gametypes is probably terminal... doesnt handle neutral games very well but the rest is pretty good

Snowbound and Isolation are worse than Construct imo, Construct felt different to me, but I liked it.

No one is mentioning High Ground ITT? That's one I remember liking.

I definitely considered them close to being the worst along with Epitah but at least those maps encourage some map movement where as Construct is all about camping the lifts.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
They placed Damnation at 100? Damn.

Seriously, I loved playing on that map though part of the fun was dropping from the top ledge onto the overshield (which would prevent you from taking falling damage). You could either escape someone or bring them to their death as they followed you. Also gave you that nice armor boost if you happened to land in the middle of another battle. So much fun.

Champagne

Banned
Guardian is awesome, but 50% of what makes it so great is honestly its aesthetic. It might be the most atmospheric/coolest looking Halo map of all time. I do have some minor geometric/structural qualms with it, however.

zma1013

Seems right the Reach and 4 maps are appearing this low as I felt the map design really fell off after 2. Not fond of 3 maps either myself. I expect most of the top maps to be from 2. Lockout, Zanzibar, etc etc.

Also, I really hate that the remade versions of maps for the different games have different names. Blood Gultch should be called Blood Gultch in every single game. Why they went and made stuff more confusing I'll never know.

Seems right the Reach and 4 maps are appearing this low as I felt the map design really fell off after 2. Not fond of 3 maps either myself. I expect most of the top maps to be from 2. Lockout, Zanzibar, etc etc.

Also, I really hate that the remade versions of maps for the different games have different names. Blood Gultch should be called Blood Gultch in every single game. Why they went and made stuff more confusing I'll never know.

Because they're generally demonstrably different, and giving them different names makes it easier to distinguish between them.

dc89

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/11/04/ranking-every-halo-map-ever-made-85-61?watch=+main+twitter

85-61 is up.

#61 - Standoff
#62 - Solace
#63 - Forge World: The Cage
#64 - Meltdown
#65 - Ghost Town
#66 - Isolation
#67 - Chill Out
#68 - Assembly
#69 - Blackout
#70 - Spire
#71 - Erosion
#72 - Harvest
#73 - Gephyrophobia
#74 - Uplift
#75 - Reflection
#76 - Forge World: Pinnacle
#77 - Forge World: Asylum
#78 - Heretic
#79 - Epitaph
#80 - Sword Base
#81 - Vortex
#82 - Backwash
#83 - Derelict
#84 - Ice Fields
#85 - Orbital

zma1013

Because they're generally demonstrably different, and giving them different names makes it easier to distinguish between them.

Yeah but when it's the same general layout, i don't see why they didn't just call them things like Lockout redux or Bloodgultch 2.0 or something identifying where they came from. I have no idea what the other versions of the maps are called, i just associate them in my head as Bloodgultch, Bloodgultch 2.0, etc etc. Gets confusing for me when people call them by their actual names and them I'm like, "Oh you mean Halo 2 Blood Gultch."

Champagne

Banned
Seriously what's the rationale behind including Forge World remakes of maps on the list?

IGN just aiming for redundancy?

Yeah but when it's the same general layout, i don't see why they didn't just call them things like Lockout redux or Bloodgultch 2.0 or something identifying where they came from. I have no idea what the other versions of the maps are called, i just associate them in my head as Bloodgultch, Bloodgultch 2.0, etc etc. Gets confusing for me when people call them by their actual names and them I'm like, "Oh you mean Halo 2 Blood Gultch."

Eh. To each their own, I find it easier to keep them straight this way. It's especially helpful with something like Bloodline, which has some fairly drastic changes, but w/e.

GhaleonEB

Seriously what's the rationale behind including Forge World remakes of maps on the list?

IGN just aiming for redundancy?

They're just going for completion, ranking all the officially published maps by Bungie. Forge variants made up a good chunk of Reach's shipping maps.

One thing that strikes me seeing all these maps lined up is how much I'm reminded just how few of them were truly excellent, particularly after Halo 3. Reach's maps were nearly all subpar.

My end all be all Halo map is Valhalla. I have so many wonderful memories of two flag CTF BTB on Valhalla. To me it's the quintessential BTB map, correcting all the mistakes from Blood Gulch. If the latter ranks over it, it's pure nostalgia ruling their thinking.

Gnome

Blood gulch will be number 1 simply because its the most iconic. That's a problem I have with these lists, fame/nostalgia trumps quality many times.

I was thinking the same, simply because it's one that everybody remembers, and Red vs Blue.

Freeser

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/11/04/ranking-every-halo-map-ever-made-85-61?watch=+main+twitter

85-61 is up.

#61 - Standoff
#62 - Solace
#64 - Meltdown
#65 - Ghost Town
#66 - Isolation
#67 - Chill Out
#68 - Assembly
#69 - Blackout
#70 - Spire
#71 - Erosion
#72 - Harvest
#73 - Gephyrophobia
#74 - Uplift
#75 - Reflection
#78 - Heretic
#79 - Epitaph
#80 - Sword Base
#81 - Vortex
#82 - Backwash
#83 - Derelict
#84 - Ice Fields
#85 - Orbital

Waiting for the outcry on this one. I, for one, hated the map but there were a ton of people that loved it.

Leyasu

Banned
They're just going for completion, ranking all the officially published maps by Bungie. Forge variants made up a good chunk of Reach's shipping maps.

One thing that strikes me seeing all these maps lined up is how much I'm reminded just how few of them were truly excellent, particularly after Halo 3. Reach's maps were nearly all subpar.

My end all be all Halo map is Valhalla. I have so many wonderful memories of two flag CTF BTB on Valhalla. To me it's the quintessential BTB map, correcting all the mistakes from Blood Gulch. If the latter ranks over it, it's pure nostalgia ruling their thinking.

Reachs maps were imo some of the shitiest most pointless maps I've ever played on. I think that it was quite clear that bungie no longer gived a fuck, so they just threw in some areas from the single player. Then released a vidoc pretending it would be cool.

They had to use forge maps to pad it out as well.

Anyway, less than a week now

FyreWulff

Reachs maps were imo some of the shitiest most pointless maps I've ever played on. I think that it was quite clear that bungie no longer gived a fuck, so they just threw in some areas from the single player. Then released a vidoc pretending it would be cool.

The only Reach map that came from campaign was Boneyard. Every other multiplayer map in Reach was made for multiplayer first.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

Agreed. Reach's forge maps were absolute garbage.

My Top 5:

5. Coagulation
4. Terminal
3. Waterworks
2. Zanzibar
1. Headlong

Halo 2 all day, e'ry day. I ain't even mad.

Halo 2 didn't have a single bad map.

EDIT:

halo 2 maps >>>> all other halos

This guy gets it.

Champagne

Banned

Valhalla is a lot of fun but the hill in the middle will always keep it a nudge below Blood Gulch for me. I just found it far too easy for a moderately coordinated team to completely dominate the map once they gained hill control.

Map control is obviously a huge tenant of Halo, but the corollary to that is that the team without control should also have a balanced and fair shot at disrupting the control. In BTB vehicles are normally the antidote to this sort of map lockdown but the team locking down the hill also locked down spartan laser control and could always lift over with the new missile pod while waiting for the laser to respawn. If you spawned beach side you were fucked due to being on the descending side of the hill making lift pushes impossible due to hail storms of BR fire. Pushing weak side was also a terrible idea because the difference in elevation was even worse. The only viable strategies were to try to disrupt control via careful sniping from the base or to push Pelican/cave side and take up refuge in the downed Pelican, but a coordinated team could also just as easily block off that side of the map with careful grenading. Flanking with a mongoose and trying to switch the spawns or just making a push from the backside and praying for a momentary lapse was probably the best shot overall.

Essentially the asymmetry of the map really just caused problems when you were rolling against parties with decent players.

What I described was more of an issue in 4v4 than BTB to be honest, but I still played many a game where I faced this sort of gridlock from parties 6 deep in BTB.

Also Warthog battles on Gulch > Warthog battles on Valhalla.

Gulch is still king.

Gowans

85-61 is up.

#61 - Standoff
#62 - Solace
#64 - Meltdown
#65 - Ghost Town
#66 - Isolation
#67 - Chill Out
#68 - Assembly
#69 - Blackout
#70 - Spire
#71 - Erosion
#72 - Harvest
#73 - Gephyrophobia
#74 - Uplift
#75 - Reflection
#78 - Heretic
#79 - Epitaph
#80 - Sword Base
#81 - Vortex
#82 - Backwash
#83 - Derelict
#84 - Ice Fields
#85 - Orbital

Thanks Updated

Striker

Guardian is bad. Traversal on that map is beyond annoying. It's the Khloe Kardashian to Lockouts Kim Kardashian.
It's really only good for Slayer. Being a successor to Lockout is fine, but Lockout was at least great at things like Slayer and King of the Hill, even 1-flag was decent. Guardian was awful for objectives.

Well... not so good for multi/neutral flag or bomb, koth, oddball or territories

Best map for gametypes is probably terminal... doesnt handle neutral games very well but the rest is pretty good
That's why these 'rankings' are just awful. How can you compare maps like Zanzibar to Sanctuary. They're both great at what they do.

List is pure clickbait. Seeing Orbital and so many bad Halo 4 maps with ones that were actually decent (Zealot, Heretic, Reflection) supplants that.

hurzelein

Chiron 109/110? Kidding me?

Chiron was perfect for Oddball. Three Players on one screen and you knew who would be on the other side of the portal. Some nerve wrecking duells there. Confusion was part of the fun.

If Sidewinder won't be in the Top 5 and original Blood gulch is #1 you can throw this list away anyway.

Honestly such a list makes no sense at all. You can maybe differentiate beetween good and maps and would get a pretty big consent on this. You can also make a top 10 of the most player/iconic/loved maps. Everything else makes no sense.

Pudge

HOW DO YOU GET CONFUSED ON CHILL OUT? It's like three or four rooms. It's the college dorm apartment of Halo maps, you can memorize it even if you're not trying.

This list in infuriating to anyone who plays a lot of Halo. How any of these great maps get designed is beyond me with people like this in charge.

Rockondevil

My favourites would be Zanzibar, Coagulation and Lockout.
I really liked Waterworks also, but not quite as much.

Also I don't believe District should be last, that map was far better than some of the others. Was so fun for objective game types which I understand not as many people play, but still....

Top Bottom