• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Incredible Ratchet & Clankgameplay demo reveals PS5’s SSD difference

sendit

In order to get times some perspective into this wacky and marketing-driven SSD thing just take a look of what is available for an PC for quite some time.

HDD read speed ~100 MB/s
SATA SSD read speed ~500 MB/s
NVMe SSD read speed ~3,500 MB/s

The loading times of an SSD are significantly faster in benchmarks than with an HDD. That's obvious. NVMe SSDs, however, are hardly faster in benchmarks compared to SATA SSD when loading levels in games etc., even if they are far superior in simple read-only tests (7-10x faster than a "normal" SATA SSD). There are also some benchmarks and videos that compare streaming intensive games and their framerate. There is virtually no difference between SATA SSD and NVMe SSD.

It's always the same marketing bullshit, the pure numbers have nothing to say, because in addition to the reading speed many other factors also play a role.

I myself have a HDD, SATA SSD and NVMe SSD in the M.2 slot of my computer and I hardly notice any difference between SATA SSD and NVMe SSD in the loading times and let alone the FPS (which is very obvious ofc). If you really think a SSD with a (still unproven) read speed of ~5 GB/sec is a game changer, then you are not the smartest, to say the least. I don't want to belittle the consoles. I'm getting a PS5 for release, as I did with all the consoles before, but you should have seen through all the garbage by now and just be looking forward to the great games.

You don't notice a difference because the SSD is not the only piece to this puzzle. I'm incredibly shocked on why people can't grasp this....Watch Cerny's presentation please.

You don't notice a difference because the SSD is not the only piece to this puzzle. I'm incredibly shocked on why people can't grasp this....Watch Cerny's presentation please.

Some people just lack the foundation to be open to understand, so they rather go "god did it" than fact based route.

Cernys presentatio is really clear and simple to understand, to smart people with good foundation.

To rest it sounds like "marketing talk" because they dont understand enough and by so they cant connect new info with the old. (Example that they dont get it why pc world doesnt be equal to consoles with "pc" parts)

So then they continue the "bbbbut my 9999$ PC doesnt load games instantly", which is logically wrong and intellectually lazy short cut conclusion.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
😋😋 for peoples withz no 4k screen🙊 you peasants🙊🙊.......i share with you what you will never see on your sony trinitron 32 screen.

You are all welcome to kiss my feet for more screen shots.....
IZML05k.gif

You can literally buy a decent 4K tv as much as NVIDIA 1660 card. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

GymWolf

these are
I meant Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, I hope the portals are used for more than just super fast travel between worlds. Like the ship was in the previous games, no ship required this time tho, just jump through a portal. I want them to be used to do puzzles or change the world you are in with things from the other world.

I thought everyone was talking about R&C, I can see how "dinosaurs" made you think of horizon though, I meant the big creatures that fall through the portal onto the walkway in the R&C demo in the OP.

Whats "giw"?
i have the same sentiment for now.

quest

Not Banned from OT
So this is the game play innovation on the level of mario 64 I was promised because of the SSD. Yep nice looking game with a gimmick to try and sell the SSD. I'll keep on waiting for this game play revolution based on the SSD I was promised that Sony was waiting to unleash.

FritzJ92

If you don't understand the technical side of the consoles, you should not be allowed to post misinformation like this. There is no pc system on the market that has closed architechture and instant decompression of assets like the series x, it is most definately not the same speed as higher end pc's. (Its much faster)

Series x would have no issue with this game, which by the way looks great. When does it come out?
A sony developer *i may be wrong with credentials* said the same scenes are possible on XSX

Kumomeme

In order to get times some perspective into this wacky and marketing-driven SSD thing just take a look of what is available for an PC for quite some time.

HDD read speed ~100 MB/s

The loading times of an SSD are significantly faster in benchmarks than with an HDD. That's obvious. NVMe SSDs, however, are hardly faster in benchmarks compared to SATA SSD when loading levels in games etc., even if they are far superior in simple read-only tests (7-10x faster than a "normal" SATA SSD). There are also some benchmarks and videos that compare streaming intensive games and their framerate. There is virtually no difference between SATA SSD and NVMe SSD.

It's always the same marketing bullshit, the pure numbers have nothing to say, because in addition to the reading speed many other factors also play a role.

I myself have a HDD, SATA SSD and NVMe SSD in the M.2 slot of my computer and I hardly notice any difference between SATA SSD and NVMe SSD in the loading times and let alone the FPS (which is very obvious ofc). If you really think a SSD with a (still unproven) read speed of ~5 GB/sec is a game changer, then you are not the smartest, to say the least. I don't want to belittle the consoles. I'm getting a PS5 for release, as I did with all the consoles before, but you should have seen through all the garbage by now and just be looking forward to the great games.
because until now, games never developed with ssd speed in mind. it always developed with these slower hdd or sata hdd speed. so even if you change to ssd, it wont change much since to fully take advantges of faster storage need to be developed from ground up by developers.

Also as other people mentioned, there issue of bottleneck. the NVMe SSD read speed ~3,500 MB/remain specs on paper since on real performance it didnt reach that number. there numbers of bottleneck that resulted the speed didnt even reach the peak potential. There is reason why MS want to bring DirectStorageAPI to pc. In Cerny presentation he highlight this aspect and explained this part. They throw money to ps5 ssd not just on the storage itself but on its custom controller. You can see the pattern yourself later.

Last edited:

betrayal

Banned
Also as other people mentioned, there issue of bottleneck. the NVMe SSD read speed ~3,500 MB/remain specs on paper since on real performance it didnt reach that number.

3,500 MB/sec or significantly more is easily achievable with NVMe. Everyone who has a PC with NVMe storage knows this and everyone else can google it. There is also NVMe memory with 5.000 MB/sec available on the market.
The bottleneck we always talk about here has nothing to do with NVMe SSD at all, but with the CPU and other things. I don't know why people are always talking such bullshit.

Videos like from R&C don't prove anything, except maybe good streaming technology. There are far too many factors missing to be able to make any meaningful conclusions from the videos. It is all only markting talk right now.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

3,500 MB/sec or significantly more is easily achievable with NVMe. Everyone who has a PC with NVMe storage knows this and everyone else can google it. There is also NVMe memory with 5.000 MB/sec available on the market.
The bottleneck we always talk about here has nothing to do with NVMe SSD at all, but with the CPU and other things. I don't know why people are always talking such bullshit.

Videos like from R&C don't prove anything, except maybe good streaming technology. There are far too many factors missing to be able to make any meaningful conclusions from the videos. It is all only marekting talk right now.
like i said, your ssd can go superfast but on real life performance, it not even reach full speed as on specs sheet due to various bottleneck. Its not about the ssd, but the I/O . watch the road to ps5 video. that basically cerny's gdc 2020 presentation.

betrayal

Banned
like i said, your ssd can go superfast but on real life performance, it not even reach full speed as on specs sheet due to various bottleneck. Its not about the ssd, but the I/O . watch the road to ps5 video. that basically cerny's gdc 2020 presentation.

When I do a speed test I easily reach about 3.500 MB/sec. A 5.000 NVMe performs with 5.000 MB/s read speed in the "real world".
It's all fine what Cerny says, but what else should he say, if there are no other arguments for Next Gen consoles? In my opinion there do not have to be any. A normal hardware upgrade and good games will do. Except it doesn't sell as well as something artificially hyped.

Kumomeme

When I do a speed test I easily reach about 3.500 MB/sec. A 5.000 NVMe performs with 5.000 MB/s read speed in the "real world".
It's all fine what Cerny says, but what else should he say, if there are no other arguments for Next Gen consoles? In my opinion there do not have to be any. A normal hardware upgrade and good games will do. Except it doesn't sell as well as something artificially hyped.
No matter how much you do speed test and how much faster the result you get is not the issue here. Watch the Cerny video please. Its about the I/O. MS also invested in their own I/O solution and planned to bring part of the sofware solution directstorageapi to pc later.

betrayal

Banned
No matter how much you do speed test and how much faster the result you get is not the issue here. Watch the Cerny video please. Its about the I/O. MS also invested in their own I/O solution and planned to bring part of the sofware solution directstorageapi to pc later.

What Sony and MS have shown, explained and claimed over the last 20 years was much more spectacular at that time. "Powered by SSD" or not. It is still nothing special. There will be no better games. They won't look better because of it and they won't be more fun because of it.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Don’t understand the point of this OT. People need to clearly state their points instead of posting videos from an outside source and a fucking emoji.

The demo looked really fucking good. Far superior to any other “next-gen” demo we’ve seen running real-time gameplay. I don’t see how anyone can argue that.

The demo looked really fucking good. Far superior to any other “next-gen” demo we’ve seen running real-time gameplay. I don’t see how anyone can argue that.

Definitely Ratchet and the Unreal Engine demo were the best realtime demos that we've seen do far.

giphy.gif

And since Ratchet looks great I'm pretty certain Spiderman will as well when we see the actual gameplay. I also believe that Demon Souls is going to look pretty nice as well.

b2utl7eo5d451.jpg

Last edited:

Kumomeme

What Sony and MS have shown, explained and claimed over the last 20 years was much more spectacular at that time. "Powered by SSD" or not. It is still nothing special. There will be no better games. They won't look better because of it and they won't be more fun because of it.
you mistaken alot if you just think this all about loading speed. All these years devs use lot of clever method and trick to make sure everything load nicely and seamlessly. The game design, level is all designated around mitigate the problem(slower hdd). Open door sequence, squeeze into tight place, cutscene, elevator etc all these just a loading masking. There more to it. How devs struggled to implement certain features due to slower hdd for example Horizon Zero dawn devs removes flying mechanic due to hdd, FFXV devs struggled to implement flying car, Todd howard if i not mistaken used to blame slower hdd speed for that slow horse ride(LOL). There reason why rockstar received lot of technical praise for gta v. How fast data can be prepared to load from storage to ram is game changer to devs. The game size also could be reduce due to no need to have massive same copy paste asset data in the storage to speed up loading. Game world could be bigger and way seamless. SSD also play important role in the UE5 demo. This portal jump in Rachet and Clank just a tip of iceberg. Easily to say after this, the game design, level design and stuff will be different from ground up.

Moonjt9

HDD read speed ~100 MB/s

which is why Sony has completely bespoke I/O hardware and software to eliminate those bottlenecks and actually take advantage of the ultra fast ssd. So no, PC isn’t anywhere close to this capability and you can’t compare the two.

Kenpachii

which is why Sony has completely bespoke I/O hardware and software to eliminate those bottlenecks and actually take advantage of the ultra fast ssd. So no, PC isn’t anywhere close to this capability and you can’t compare the two.

Should google system ram.

I remember seeing people downplaying this. "Oh but what's so incredible about that". Lol. That's pretty much instant. That's a whole fucking level with huge viewing distances completely loaded in 2~3 seconds. Many times in a row without disrupting gameplay. If that's not nextgen I don't know what is.

It's a piss poor example of the SSD performance. Console people are impressed because they finally experience SSD loading. If sony cared to demonstrate fast performance they would have eliminated the entire load process and straight up let you jump and play through those cracks instead of slamming 2 seconds load screens and animation locking you or throwing the game on rails while stuff loads in on the background.

This is far from impressive.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
I remember seeing people downplaying this. "Oh but what's so incredible about that". Lol. That's pretty much instant. That's a whole fucking level with huge viewing distances completely loaded in 2~3 seconds. Many times in a row without disrupting gameplay. If that's not nextgen I don't know what is.
So next gen is literally just faster load times?

This looks good and all, but this is literally just faster load times. The same could be done on this generation of consoles, and has been done, just with longer load times. I thought people were hoping for completely new experiences and game design, not just faster load times?

Personally I have only ever been expecting faster load times and better quality assets, nothing more. Game design hasn’t been held back by HDD speeds.

The art style of this game is fantastic

Last edited:

Vroadstar

R&C didn't show any RT. Neither did HFW or DS.

You are a liar
And I never said R&C doesn't have RT. You must have me mixed up with Alex.

DU8JksG.png

There is only one liar and FUD spreader here and did you just activated your long-dormant account? last post was 2017 and you were banned and then suddenly commenting on Ratchet and Clank thread 29 minutes ago, pathetic FUD spreader

Your M.O. in B3D is the same thing you are doing here and Ree, making bold claims without proof, you were always called out there, same as here. You are fooling no one.

1MWfb5V.png

Last edited:

JTCx

Should google system ram.

It's a piss poor example of the SSD performance. Console people are impressed because they finally experience SSD loading. If sony cared to demonstrate fast performance they would have eliminated the entire load process and straight up let you jump and play through those cracks instead of slamming 2 seconds load screens and animation locking you or throwing the game on rails while stuff loads in on the background.

This is far from impressive.
giphy.gif

meech

30 fps for a platformer is impressive now? A game like this should have 60 fps as a standard, like in racing games, but it seems the gpu is not up to that task.

Last edited:
Yes, not in 4k, but in a lower resolution.

I know but the option is there.

What did you think the PS5 is a PC?

If you want a Native 4K at 60FPs or higher in all games you have to build a PC for that. A 3090TI will probably cost alot more than both of these next gen consoles combined. Then you have to add the cost of an expensive SSD plus alot of fast ram.

You want the best experience you have to pay for it.

Last edited:

meech

I know but the option is there.

What did you think the PS5 is a PC?

If you want a Native 4K at 60FPs or higher in all games
That is not what i wrote. Not in all games. But racing games, platformers or those like Street Figher/ Mortal Combat had and have 60 fps as a standard( aside from exception like Forza Horizon and Drive Club),on consoles too.

kikii

Videos like from R&C don't prove anything, except maybe good streaming technology. There are far too many factors missing to be able to make any meaningful conclusions from the videos. It is all only markting talk right now.
i have Samsung 970 EVO Plus 3500/3200 MB/s on comp which is faster than craigs one ..did i win something? nuuuh :p

That is not what i wrote. Not in all games. But racing games, platformers or those like Street Figher/ Mortal Combat had and have 60 fps as a standard( aside from exception like Forza Horizon and Drive Club),on consoles too.

Isn't GT always in 60FPs? What about fighters like mortal Kombat?

If it's already a standard with those games on PS4 it will be a standard on PS5 as well.

meech

Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart Includes Modes for 4K/30 FPS and 60 FPS at Lower Resolution

PS5 players can opt for the 60 FPS of the series’ PS2 era or the gorgeous visuals of the PS3 games.

Posted By Ravi Sinha | On 28th, Aug. 2020 Under News
The option to play at 60 frames per second was further confirmed by the developer on Twitter. As Gematsu notes, Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan Asia localization producer Daisuke Ishidate also spoke about these options. “Starting in the latter half of the PS3 era, we chose to make Ratchet & Clank games with beautiful graphics by doing away with the 60 frames per second of the PS2 era in favor of 30 frames, and the gameplay itself was built on the assumption of playing in 30 frames.

“This time, players will be able to choose between the 60 frames per second route of the PS2 era, or the higher resolution and 30 frames per second route of the PS3 era and onward.” What this “lower resolution” could be remains to be seen but it’s possible that Insomniac is still optimizing the same before officially confirming. Dare we hope for 1440p resolution at 60 frames per second?

So that game was a 60 fps game in the past.

Knightime_X

Shown these pics to a few non-hardcore "gamers" and they were not impressed.
At first they thought it was a ps4 game.

Let's be real here.
We're getting to the point only the hardest of hardcore can tell the graphical difference.
We get hyped over ass hairs getting their own shadows meanwhile the masses stopped being impressed 2 gens ago and just want to play derpnight.

sendit

Shown these pics to a few non-hardcore "gamers" and they were not impressed.
At first they thought it was a ps4 game.

Let's be real here.
We're getting to the point only the hardest of hardcore can tell the graphical difference.
We get hyped over ass hairs getting their own shadows meanwhile the masses stopped being impressed 2 gens ago and just want to play derpnight.

Agreed. I like how you provided data along with a conclusion. How do we proceed from here?

II_JumPeR_I

I believe with a little reworking Ratchet and Clank can (hypothetically) run well on a Series X, maybe with a few seconds more of loading, but also some perks like better iq and effects
Game would run the same on Xbox. Some of you act like that this game is impossible on current available hardware...
Hell you can even see loading stutter in this scripted Rift parts...

And a bit offtopic but gaf is really going downhill. So many discussions look like the gamefaqs forums etc.. i wish it could be abit more mature here.

Top Bottom