• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Incredible Ratchet & Clankgameplay demo reveals PS5’s SSD difference

how is possible to load in ~14GB into ram while assets from previous level still have to be in RAM? that would exceed 16 GB what PS5 have.
i bet he can't explain that.

POV in rift apart takes all RAM that's what insomniac stated.
No the section of the map takes all Ram. You can dump things and still have plenty of time to load them again if the player decided to turn around and go back.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
boom smile GIF

Shots fired. I wonder if anyone can debunk this.

He creates a narrative based on the first sequence of the game and then says, "This can be done on the PlayStation 3!"

What he fails to realize is that this isn't the only way the SSD is used in the game. Blaizar Mines change instantly. The only thing remaining is the platform she's standing on while everything else is swapped out of memory.

Before anyone says, "they just loaded a different backdrop", James already responded to this accusation on Twitter months ago.

John Linneman: What roughly are we looking at in terms of like data size of like a typical stage like like let's Blaizar Prime you have both the outer space version and then you have sort of the lived-in version. How does that compare?

Mike Fitzgerald: Well both of those are full quality you know dense levels, so each one will take up all the available memory we have.

The video goes into detail about how he's wrong about the pocket dimensions, too.

So it wasn't hard to debunk this based on what the developers have told us.

Thirty7ven

Banned
VC1pupI.png

This comment is what I agree with most.

Well this was the first game they developed where they didn’t have to impose hard limits on enemy types.

Technology is enabling new things all the time, it’s just that if we want to be reductive about it we will. At least it improves gameplay, but even then you can get someone to say the gameplay isn’t actually improved.

Anyway, bitter haters in every industry.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
You can't debunk what he said. I think you need to watch again and not with thinking there is some malicious intent.

The main point in the video is the experience. Ratchet has been marketed as a ps5 only experience. It's not. It's been done and been possible for years. Let's say each Rift in those transitions is 5gb, that's believable. That gives you 8 seconds to load 5gb. That's very reasonable for most any SSD. With smart but time consuming optimization those 6 seconds scenes could have way less memory requirement because you don't need high res for things you actually can't in want way see the detail while playing even if you pause and look around.
If the point of portals and dimensions is that you can jump between them in seconds, hence being able to use it as a gameplay feature, you cant achive the same results in a mechanical drive.

Doesnt matter how you spin it. The gameplay of the game can only be achieved in an SSD.

You wanna keep talking about how the guys says the trick of asset streaming in the background can be done in older hardare? OK.
The gameplay cant.

Darius87

The moment I saw this thread emerge from oblivion I knew someone was posting this video.

People should what it entirely, he is a genius coder he just explains how it could be done without SSD on previous gen consoles.
it couldn't be done on previous gen consoles, what he explains is totally different streaming tech from what is in R&C. saying two streaming tech is the same and don't affect game excpierence is nonsense.

Papacheeks

Banned
Only two. He also explains how to achieve this on previous hardware.

This guy, for information, implemented a double frame buffer on the MegaDrive for Sonic 3D back in 1995.

The thing you and others are not understanding is megadrive is rendering and using flat assets, flat plane models. Like the geometry alone in Ratchet needs a lot of VRAM, not counting all the character models and extra added level detail and assets being pulled through.

He may be right in terms of the demo which is a more on rail section. But the thing he's not talking about is asset density and amount of assets on screen at one time. Sure you def can make this on PS4 but I would have to believe asset quality/density and amount of assets on screen that are loaded into VRAM would have to be scaled back significantly and de-rezzed in their rendered quality to make it work smoothly on past gen.

Darius87

No the section of the map takes all Ram. You can dump things and still have plenty of time to load them again if the player decided to turn around and go back.
If you spun the camera around, we could load them before you see that. That lets us devote all of our system memory to the stuff in front of you right now, that you need to experience in that moment.
https://www.theverge.com/22431256/ratchet-and-clank-rift-apart-ps5-interiew-tech-ray-tracing-ssd

when going thru portal between different levels you have to flush old and load in new assets at the moment when you're inside between two portals which takes 1-3 seconds, you can't do that in previous generations because what insomniac said in quote(bold).

assurdum

Banned
The fact that you don't know the guy doesn't make him less an expert, and not the kind that brags about it. He has been posting great videos for years. This man simply explain things, he does not have a childish opinion to defend.
So Nsomniac lie?

Md Ray

You can't debunk what he said. I think you need to watch again and not with thinking there is some malicious intent.
Even the creators of the game can't debunk what he said? I have one question for you...

If Rift Apart's instant level switching/loading is possible with HDD on a PS4, then why does their Spider-Man game takes anywhere from 25 to over 30+ seconds to load on PS4/Pro, but near instantly on PS5 with an SSD? Surely if "no SSD is needed", then PS4 should be able to load Spider-Man and Miles Morales in 2 seconds, no?

Have you thought about that for a sec?

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
The fact that you don't know the guy doesn't make him less an expert, and not the kind that brags about it. He has been posting great videos for years. This man simply explain things, he does not have a childish opinion to defend.

I didn’t say he didn’t have programming experience, but a genius coder? This video alone says he’s anything but a genius.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Very interesting video. Usual PR hyperbole from devs to sell their games. I imagine it uses the SSD very well in the PS5 but it would probably be fine on any form of SSD.

I must admit that the portal stuff didn't impress me as much as I thought it would in the game. Its not used that often.

Very interesting video. Usual PR hyperbole from devs to sell their games. I imagine it uses the SSD very well in the PS5 but it would probably be fine on any form of SSD.

I must admit that the portal stuff didn't impress me as much as I thought it would in the game. Its not used that often.

I don't think the developers lied about what they said. As for any form of SSD I doubt it would function well on the slowest SSDs on the market.

If you make some drastic changes in the way the game is built then you can even get it to run on a PS4. But I would doubt it would be the same experience.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned

Isn't it an hyperbole also said such game was easily possible in previous generation? When the same Nsomniac has said it was impossible to them to port on PS4?

Last edited:
Even the creators of the game can't debunk what he said? I have one question for you...

If Rift Apart's instant level switching/loading is possible with HDD on a PS4, then why does their Spider-Man game takes anywhere from 25 to over 30+ seconds to load on PS4/Pro, but near instantly on PS5 with an SSD? Surely if "no SSD is needed", then PS4 should be able to load Spider-Man and Miles Morales in 2 seconds, no?

I don't think you took my advice to watch the video again and this time without looking for some bad intent.

assurdum

Banned
Did the developers say on any platform or just last gen systems?

There's a pretty clear difference between the two.
He presumed everything is on the rail during the teleport but personally seems really ignore how Nsomniac achieved it. A lot of strawman chats. Something similar is possible to imitate in the past generation, I guess, I think he misunderstood what Nsomniac intended at all with not possible in the past, but I don't think everything it's loaded on the rail as he tries to sell.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned

They didnt even think about FF7R loading, 40 secs VS 2 secs.

People here are calling genius a guy for talking about background asset streaming.

Dont need to say more.

Last edited:

arvfab

Banned
Pal you're the biggest fanboy who has ever been or ever will be. Once again we have narrow minded individuals on this site who even faced with an industry veteran telling them an SSD is not needed, they still bury their heads in the sand 😅 I can't quite believe the ignorance on display.

world of warcraft legion GIF

Strange when industry veteran tell that XSS is a potential bottleneck, their opinion is somehow dismissed ("b...b...but they have yet to find out how the magical RAM saving features....").

Yet, this guy now "proves" how the SSD is not necessary, by giving his assumptions and with no real proof.

Anyway, that guy should also point out in his video, what the comprimises would be to port the game to last gen(s). It's not like the RAM amount, for example, is the same. Lower assets quality, longer loading times (maybe even midgame...), sub-30 fps, smaller environments, less effects.. etc.
Ah but wait, if he starts to list such compromises, people would start to argue that, indeed, the game is benefitting from an SSD....

Strange when industry veteran tell that XSS is a potential bottleneck, their opinion is somehow dismissed ("b...b...but they have yet to find out how the magical RAM saving features....").

Yet, this guy now "proves" how the SSD is not necessary, by giving his assumptions and with no real proof.

Anyway, that guy should also point out in his video, what the comprimises would be to port the game to last gen(s). It's not like the RAM amount, for example, is the same. Lower assets quality, longer loading times (maybe even midgame...), sub-30 fps, smaller environments, less effects.. etc.
Ah but wait, if he starts to list such compromises, people would start to argue that, indeed, the game is benefitting from an SSD....
I've never disputed the limitations of XSS but then again it's a budget console something the usual suspects conveniently forget. Like I said my opinion on this is based off an expert within this field, Insomniac are required to talk up the console its owner created, you decide who's opinion is more likely to be biased.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Pal you're the biggest fanboy who has ever been or ever will be. Once again we have narrow minded individuals on this site who even faced with an industry veteran telling them an SSD is not needed, they still bury their heads in the sand 😅 I can't quite believe the ignorance on display.
Not been following the conversation, but are you talking about Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart and the SSD? In that case, we do have an official confirmation from Insomniac.

This tweet confirms two things:

1. An SSD is needed for Rift Apart. And not just any SSD, but a high-speed SSD is needed.
2. Below-spec SSDs were 15% slower in stressed areas.

Not been following the conversation, but are you talking about Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart and the SSD? In that case, we do have an official confirmation from Insomniac.

1. An SSD is needed for Rift Apart. And not just any SSD, but a high-speed SSD is needed.

Unbiased opinions I see 🙄

TBiddy

No, it confirms that "below-spec" SSDs works and that in very specific areas, the loading were "up to 15% slower". I don't doubt that the game would run terribly on an HDD, but the tweet in question doesn't say anything about that. It's not really detailed in any way.

Last edited:

Why do you call one an industry veteran and the other "this guy"? The guy is an industry veteran too.

DForce DForce just dropped a (imo) solid debunk, I wonder if someone can debunk the debunk.

assurdum

Banned
Why do you call one an industry veteran and the other "this guy"? The guy is an industry veteran too.

DForce DForce just dropped a (imo) solid debunk, I wonder if someone can debunk the debunk.
Nsomniac already did some page ago via Twitter. They laughed about it. I bet all my balls most of you even knows who was him until now.

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
It’s not possible until it’s done. Give us a PC port and I’ll use an IDE to sata adapter and really see how far it will go.

MonarchJT

Banned

basically as everyone with a brain said thousands times ....you can have r&c type of game on every console .....100ms loading against 85ms....HUGE limitations i see..

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

No, it confirms that "below-spec" SSDs works and that in very specific areas, the loading were "up to 15% slower". I don't doubt that the game would run terribly on an HDD, but the tweet in question doesn't say anything about that. It's not really detailed in any way.

The game and how it performs is the experience. Try to put it on a HDD and it gets crucified for being too ambitious and it "runs terrible"

arvfab

Banned
I've never disputed the limitations of XSS but then again it's a budget console something the usual suspects conveniently forget. Like I said my opinion on this is based off an expert within this field, Insomniac are required to talk up the console its owner created, you decide who's opinion is more likely to be biased.

Industry veterans say that the XSS is a bottleneck for the generation, for new gaming experiences. Something the usual suspects conveniently forget.

Again, this expert within this field only provides assumptions, Insomniac (you know, also experts and creators of the game) - while surely biased - provided proofs.

Could Rift Apart be ported to the previous gen? Probably. Would it be a different gaming experience? For sure.

Last edited:

Kazza

I totally believe R&C would be possible on older hardware with some tweaks. I thought it was a fun game but was really disappointed with the rifts as I pictured being able to jump between worlds at will in the middle of levels but the video is spot on in that it is basically only on-rails sections or cutscenes.

The pocket rifts are just warping you to another part of the level so nothing more impressive than Portal.

What I do think is that given more time Insomniac or some team with similar pedigree could make a game where you aren't so limited with the warping. R&C felt like a tech demo or proof of concept but I can't see why someone couldn't use the same principles to make it possible to warp around between different worlds outside of on-rails stuff and something like that would not be possible on older hardware without huge loading screens as the console would never know when to pre-load stuff.

That's really disappointing to hear. From all the hype, I just assumed that you could do the warp pretty much anywhere (which could lead to some interesting gameplay/tactics), but having the warps as glorified cut scenes is very underwhelming.

I remember the Sonic CD devs talk abut how they initially wanted to have instantaneous time travel, but eventually had to insert transition screens to allow for loading due to hardware limitations. Looks like the same is the case with Ratchet.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
basically as everyone with a brain said thousands times ....you can have r&c type of game on every console .....100ms loading against 85ms....HUGE limitations i see..
You obviously haven't played the game. There are areas in the game where you are constantly traveling to different dimensions, and even puzzles are a part of that dimension-hopping. Imagine waiting for 1 minute for the dimension to load in a dense section where you have to do it 20 times.

"our game does rely on high-quality storage."

And it couldn't be any clearer than this.

arvfab

Banned
The main point in the video is the experience. Ratchet has been marketed as a ps5 only experience. It's not. It's been done and been possible for years. Let's say each Rift in those transitions is 5gb, that's believable. That gives you 8 seconds to load 5gb. That's very reasonable for most any SSD. With smart but time consuming optimization those 6 seconds scenes could have way less memory requirement because you don't need high res for things you actually can't in want way see the detail while playing even if you pause and look around.

But the experience would be a different one, with longer loading times, maybe even level/game design changes just to make it work!

It's like saying, FS2020 is nothing special, as there is a flight simulator working in the browser https://www.geo-fs.com/

Top Bottom