• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [October] Now Voting - Post 1253!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Again so its not buried on the last page because the game is way too good.

NEO Scavenger thread up:
SUbfFcr.png

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=700141

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Nice, this looks like a lot of fun! Was this on KS recently?
Yep, it had a successful Kickstarter campaign. Organic Panic got picked up for publishing by Midnight City, which is Majesco's new indie label. They're going to help market the game after launch. Here's the article:

http://indiestatik.com/2013/08/29/midnight-city-launches-by-flaunting-10-peculiar-indie-games/

VideoBall is another notable entry on that list. I played it at IndieCade and I was hooked instantly.

Yep, it had a successful Kickstarter campaign. Organic Panic got picked up for publishing by Midnight City, which is Majesco's new indie label. They're going to help market the game after launch. Here's the article:

http://indiestatik.com/2013/08/29/midnight-city-launches-by-flaunting-10-peculiar-indie-games/

VideoBall is another notable entry on that list. I played it at IndieCade and I was hooked instantly.
Congratulations! If I had been into PC gaming or Kickstarter at the time, I probably would have backed this. Physics puzzle combat platforming with dynamic fluids and destructible environments? Right up my alley

And yet another GAFfer who's also an indie dev. This is definitely the best forum/community on the Internet

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Congratulations! If I had been into PC gaming or Kickstarter at the time, I probably would have backed this. Physics puzzle combat platforming with dynamic fluids and destructible environments? Right up my alley

And yet another GAFfer who's also an indie dev. This is definitely the best forum/community on the Internet
No, that's not my game. I just thought it looked interesting.

Hofmann

Don't know if I'll have time tomorrow to do the usual post, as my family came to visit (they loved Stanley Parable, btw), so here you have at least some games to fullfill my obligations;D

Beeswing - Imagine one of the old Zelda games, the Gameboy one, except everyone you meet has a poignant, existential, morally dubious or ambiguous story to tell.

Pixelsphere - Musical adventure and a generative music experience where the soundtrack depends on how you play the game.

Reprisal - Work on Reprisal's Steam release, fixing code, adding code, changing graphics, adding graphics and changing game play!

Awesome Shapes - Adventure video game about friendship and eternity. When horizon ends your adventure begins. There, in the depths of outer space you do not know who we are. But you're not alone. We are not alone. Sounds of stars are waiting for you. When horizon ends friendship is most important.

Even the Ocean - Even the Ocean is comprised of two parts that can be completed independently.
"The Ocean"
As Aliph, explore a dream world held together by two energy types, learn about the world's boundaries, etc... Gameplay is adventure platforming, where a normal health bar is replaced by a sliding-scale energy bar which affects Aliph's movement physics as you interact with the environment.
sWcmICy.jpg

"Even"
Follow the life of Even, a woman who has just moved to a new seaside city, through interactions in the town, as well as platforming daydream sequences that modify base movement mechanics from "The Ocean".

Played it for a few minutes but I dislike the design/style.

I much prefer Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead. Such an amazing in depth game. I have to use a tilepack though.
That sounds pretty cool, but maybe it's because I'm not used to these kinds of games but how the hell do you understand what's going on? I just see a bunch of symbols.

I'm going to give it a try but I'd like to know how to understand the screens.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Played it for a few minutes but I dislike the design/style.

I much prefer Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead. Such an amazing in depth game. I have to use a tilepack though.

Yeah, some pretty amazing stuff in the ascii world, so damn inaccessible though. I played a few classic ASCII roguelikes but just having a mouse interface is such a nice thing to have. And these games are even MORE niche, so even harder to get people interested in them.

CzarTim

Yeah, some pretty amazing stuff in the ascii world, so damn inaccessible though. I played a few classic ASCII roguelikes but just having a mouse interface is such a nice thing to have. And these games are even MORE niche, so even harder to get people interested in them.

100% agreed. Mouse control makes a big difference. It's why I don't play as much Dwarf Fortress as I'd like.

Toma

I started writing up a playthrough of NEO Scavenger in the NEO Scavenger thread in story form. For all I know, it could end horribly in the next part already, but just in case someone is curious, here is the first part:

Part 1: The Awakening

I woke up disoriented over the base of an empty cryosleep pod. I looked around me and saw other similarly looking pods next to mine that carried the number 05. Some of the others still contained people in them. Why can't I... remember the reason I was in there? Everything seems... fuzzy. I faintly remember a feeling of panic and threat, but what on earth happened here? While I was trying to make sense of what happened to me, an unearthly scream erupts from down the hall beyond the doorway.Something is coming. Fast.

My heart is beating faster and my thinking accelerated immensely. I see a half broken window that I could jump through, but considering I have no protective clothing at all jumping through glass shards is an idea I should only pick as last resort. While hastily looking around the room, I noticed a console and faintly remember how to get ... access to computer systems. Yeah, now that I think about it.. I was pretty good with tech stuff, wasnt I? Crowbars, screws and the wirings and mechanical sounds of electronic systems dont seem foreign to me.

I quickly stepped to the console to try a common maintenance override code. No guarantee it will still work, but its my best bet. While entering the code, the pressure of the creature approaching is becoming unbearable and my self-preservation instincts were telling me to hide quickly instead of standing in open sight. I immediately noticed a good place to hide as well, but stuck with the console command. Apparently I have good instincts for hiding as well. I should remember that for later. I hear loud and forceful steps VERY nearby. I literally hear it breathing, my heart keeps pumping even harder. I need to hurry up. Come on. Faster. FASTER. *BEEPBEEPBEEP* The door closes. Thank god, just in time. The creature is standing just on the other side of this hopefully sturdy metal door and howls madly. It slams and rams multiple times into the door until it finally stepped away from the door again and its muffled sounds recede again. I slowly began to breathe again while my whole body was still trembling with fear and grabbing onto the console below me.

After I regained control over my body again, I searched through the records on the console in front of me. It still seemed to be in a good shape and something like a control command for the whole area. I looked through the files and noticed some folders with patient info. Patients? Was I a patient here? That would at least suggest I wasnt unwillingly imprisoned here.. or would it? No time to think about that now. I found several entries numbered 1 to 6. What was my number again? I turned around to check the cryosleep pods and noticed that my pod didnt break, it simply opened as if someone planned for me to wake up at this point in time. Why did I wake up and the others didnt? Looking around the room, I noticed that I will probably not get an answer to that and opened the console entry with my patient info. "Phillip Kindred", I read out aloud. surprised at how my voice sounded, especially how loud, I stopped moving and breathing to hear whether that creature from earlier heard me. After waiting a while, I still couldnt hear anything from the other side the door, so I continued focussing on the patient records again.

5dIul8C.jpg

So my name is Philip Kindred, but why are the fields for additional data empty? Is it the same for the other patients? I quickly searched through patient 1 and 6 and both contained contact addresses and the date of the start of their cryosleep. Why is that missing for my record?

I sat down on the floor to reflect on my current situation and think about my options.

Part 2: The Beginning
Part 3: The Realization

Any comments and/or discussion is to be directed to the NEO Scavenger thread please ;)

Eternic

Neo Member
Stats are always a good thing ;) Best of luck with the project, hopefully its humming along nicely.

The main stat I find interesting right now at that 31% people that have played the demo have played it with the Oculus Rift. That can probably be attributed to Rift users being keen for new content and one of the main places we've discussed this Greenlight campaign and demo have been on the main Rift dev forum so far.

Still early days yet, but 91% of demo users are on PC, 7% on Linux and 2% on Mac. 17% of users have used a gamepad. So far no one has hit a bullseye on a target which doesn't surprise me because even I struggle to do that :).

The Greenlight campaign is going alright so far considering we haven't done too much to promote it yet. On the graph they give that compares your Yes vote rate to current top rated project's rate over the same period, we're going ok, but not anything fantastic. We'll be trying to promote it more next week so hopefully a good percentage of the people that played the 7DFPS version can see this new version exists.

No problem and welcome to NeoGAF! I played your game during 7DFPS and IMO Probably Archery, Beyond Perception, and SuperHOT were the most promising. So it's great that you decided to expand this into a full game.

And a suggestions: stunt mode. You'd have challenges like ricocheting arrows around corners, through narrow/moving spaces, stuff like that

I've been a NeoGAF lurker for many, many years :). Stunt mode sounds cool, we have ricocheting arrows possible at the moment so making levels around that wouldn't be too hard.

Toma

Thanks Toma, there's so much conflicting information out there, but you're the Guru.
I think the issue people are having comes down to being compared to Terraria, which admittedly was more rewarding with exploration. You wont find much enjoyment in EoS if you just want a sword and the venture out. The big plus here is the rather involving and unique crafting + electrical base building. No clue about the current state of the game but I definitely had fun tinkering with the mechanics.

I'll have my Stanley Parable impressions up tomorrow. It's certainly...different than the usual games I play.

---
And the next game I added to my growing list of indies to check out: Running With Rifles

Open world tactical action with stealth and emergent AI? Now that's my kind of game

In a war where men die like flies and endless streams of reinforcements run to fill the void, it takes tactics and marksmanship to capture territories effectively. The open world nature of the game enables you to use a multitude of approaches to help the front line move – it’s up to you to shape your role. Experience the complete arc starting as a private hardening into a high ranking officer with a squad under command, arming yourself with a variety of weapons and vehicles on your way to glory!

about_shot21.jpg

Big fan of Running With Rifles. Deeper than many might think, with a great style.

Just needs that Steam release (was greenlit, IIRC) to grow the online community.
Yeah it was.

Haven't tried the demo yet but does the game achieve all that it promised? That feature list sounds pretty awesome: emergent enemy AI, vehicles, squad control, open-ended missions and tactics, etc.

Yeah it was.

Haven't tried the demo yet but does the game achieve all that it promised? That feature list sounds pretty awesome: emergent enemy AI, vehicles, squad control, open-ended missions and tactics, etc.

Yeah, it does! Granted, there were and are kinks, but a lot of the quirks only add to the fun. It's pretty amazing what scope has been achieved. I get more thrills out of RwR in terms of large scale combat than I do out of Battlefield.

Highly recommend nabbing a few copies with friends. Great fun.

Running With Rifles sounds really cool, as does NeoScavenger. I swear this thread will be the death of me. :p
Ha, I know what you mean. I found these threads in late July/early August. I've come pretty far since then, even Toma can't keep up with me anymore :p

Off topic, but I thought it was 300 posts to go from Junior to Member? I could be mistaken. Pretty crazy to think that I had less than 50 posts back in June.

Gazoinks

Ha, I know what you mean

Off topic, but I thought it was 300 posts to go from Junior to Member? I could be mistaken. Pretty crazy to think that I had less than 50 posts back in June.

I have no idea, honestly. Might be a time limit on it or something. Maybe I unknowingly offended the mods. :p

I have no idea, honestly. Might be a time limit on it or something. Maybe I unknowingly offended the mods. :p
Did some research. Info was from 2011, so it could be obsolete but it seems you need 300 posts and be registered for 3 months. I think.

But either way, it's nice to have new GAFfers joining us here. Having a tight community of regulars is cool but the real goal of these threads is to spread the word about indies games and foster discussion. So I hope you decide to drop by often :)

Gazoinks

Did some research. Info was from 2011, so it could be obsolete but it seems you need 300 posts and be registered for 3 months. I think.

But either way, it's nice to have new GAFfers joining us here. Having a tight community of regulars is cool but the real goal of these threads is to spread the word about indies games and foster discussion. So I hope you decide to drop by often :)

I'm big into the indie gaming scene, so I'll definitely stick around. :D

I'm big into the indie gaming scene, so I'll definitely stick around. :D
Cool. Indies are the best. IMO, the last bastion of innovation and originality in gaming. My first was Facade and then Nitronic Rush cemented my love for indies

And some shameless self-promotion: I run a blog dedicated to giving indies attention and exposure, Indie Game Enthusiast. I try to have new content every day

Nabs

I just got a -50% coupon for Nuclear Throne ($6.49). Anyone interested? PM me a link to your community page and I'll send it over.

All gone!

Making a proper Incognita OT, hopefully it gets more attention since it's from Klei

Any suggestions for the title? My current idea is "So a robot, a spy, and a sniper infiltrate a building..."

Edit: just going to stick with much cooler sounding "Turn Based Tactical Espionage".

Toma

Making a proper Incognita OT, hopefully it gets more attention since it's from Klei

Any suggestions for the title? My current idea is "So a robot, a spy, and a sniper infiltrate a building..."

Edit: just going to stick with much cooler sounding "Turn Based Tactical Espionage".
There was no thread for it yet? If If the current thread was slightly active or not that old, I´d wait until the game is closer to full release.

Enco

That sounds pretty cool, but maybe it's because I'm not used to these kinds of games but how the hell do you understand what's going on? I just see a bunch of symbols.

I'm going to give it a try but I'd like to know how to understand the screens.

The latest version has built in graphics support. Just check out youtube for a guide.

This makes it infinitely more accessible.

The next update (I think) should have basic mouse support.

I can't play ASCII games but this game + a tileset = AMAZING

There was no thread for it yet? If If the current thread was slightly active or not that old, I´d wait until the game is closer to full release.
There's one but no one's posted there in over a month and it doesn't really give any information about the game or screenshots, etc.

It's not really indie, I suppose, given the 505 publishing, but I'm looking forward to How To Survive this week. Seems to be coming to everything, and given we're all on a crafting survival kick with NEO Scavenger etc., it should be a good fit.

Christ, gaming outside the triple A arena continues to rock the block.

Moobabe

It's not really indie, I suppose, given the 505 publishing, but I'm looking forward to How To Survive this week. Seems to be coming to everything, and given we're all on a crafting survival kick with NEO Scavenger etc., it should be a good fit.

Christ, gaming outside the triple A arena continues to rock the block.

My blocks are being continually rocked. I even played some Demigod last night. Holy SHIT what a game.

Hofmann

Raindrop - Visually stunning Stalker inspired survival game I've just stumbled upon on Kickstarter.
Revolving around a horror themed storyline, the chilling and breathtaking atmospheres will keep you inching around each corner while uncovering the hidden truth behind the complex and its inhabitants. Scavenge items to build objects in order to piece together complex puzzles, or dangerous death traps. Gather hints and schematics to unveil rewards and information. Survive both the haunting environment and your own battered sanity.
9204de08effee6a51c6cb2286cb15bd5_large.jpg

3985e7293e699a9ad4f549f47ea70746_large.jpg

382f8cfed7a46106ec6cabebf200a35e_large.jpg

Hofmann

What the hell. Anyone behind it that is somewhat known?

Just two, relatively unknown, guys that had been working with a Source engine before moving to Unity. Hopefully they will receive enough support to deliver this kind of quality in the final game.

Toma

There's one but no one's posted there in over a month and it doesn't really give any information about the game or screenshots, etc.

Yeah, but the thread is only about a month old, plus there isnt much more to the game now. I dont think it warrants a new thread atm, especially considering these threads usually have their best impact if they are "fresh", in the case of Incognita, this would mean starting the thread with "GUYS, INCOGNITA NOW IS AWESOME WITH THIS AND THAT AND THISTHISTHISTHIS". Otherwise you create a thread for it now, and by the time it actually has some features, people dont care about the thread anymore. I'd wait personally until Incognita has substantially more content to reintroduce it to the gaf frontpage.

Toma

Just two, relatively unknown, guys that had been working with a Source engine before moving to Unity. Hopefully they will receive enough support to deliver this kind of quality in the final game.

That looks exactly like the kind of project that is doomed to fail because of overambition or the developers best intents to polish up everything as best as they can instead of adding more content. I really think it sounds mean saying it, but.. I'd be wary.

A few screenshots snagged in the most recent build of Running With Rifles, for anyone considering picking it up. Map is indeed Wake Island, and features all the carnage you can hope for.

Just a bot match, but it really has come a loooong way since I first bought it. Squad commands work a treat, including tank crews. There really isn't many, if any, games like RWR, so get on it if you like the sound of a gorgeous and tactical little isometric team shooter.

Wok

I have played the alpha demo of Ethan Meteor Hunter, and it is not enough to have an opinion on the game.

The game mechanic is interesting: you stop the time and manipulate objects while your character is in the middle of a jump. However, I have no idea how deep the level design uses it.

I have played the alpha demo of Ethan Meteor Hunter, and it is not enough to have an opinion on the game.

The game mechanic is interesting: you stop the time and manipulate objects while your character is in the middle of a jump. However, I have no idea how deep the level design uses it.
I'm reviewing ("writing impressions of") it and I'll have my impressions up tomorrow on my blog.

---
OMG, The Stanley Parable. I haven't smiled, chuckled, or been surprised by a game this much since well...both Portal games. It's fantastic. Totally worth it. I wish I could say more, but it's something you need to experience yourself

Top Bottom