• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [October] Now Voting - Post 1253!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
There's a good likelihood that I'll get a review copy so if that happens, I'll have impressions to share

I am rather intrigued as well. The trailer looked promising, but I guess the current version succeeds or fails based on the actual ingame content.

I am rather intrigued as well. The trailer looked promising, but I guess the current version succeeds or fails based on the actual ingame content.

I'm looking forward to the co-op. Just a tidy little thing to dip into on a Sunday afternoon. And it looks like there's iron man, too. Really thought I'd be zombied out, but this and State of Decay seem to have rekindled tolerance to the point of jovial intrigue.

EDIT: Also, that "Why are Indie games being ignored at the launch of next gen consoles" thread...if I were to groan any harder, neighbours would think I were having my way with a bison. Far be it for me to tell people how to spend their dosh, but Lordy Lord. Classic Moobs retort on the CoD/BF defense. Ham Sandwich Gaming.

I'm looking forward to the co-op. Just a tidy little thing to dip into on a Sunday afternoon. And it looks like there's iron man, too. Really thought I'd be zombied out, but this and State of Decay seem to have rekindled tolerance to the point of jovial intrigue.

EDIT: Also, that "Why are Indie games being ignored at the launch of next gen consoles" thread...if I were to groan any harder, neighbours would think I were having my way with a bison. Far be it for me to tell people how to spend their dosh, but Lordy Lord. Classic Moobs retort on the CoD/BF defense. Ham Sandwich Gaming.

Go Moobs!

It always bums me out when people are so dismissive of indie titles.

Moobabe

I had to leave that thread - I just... baffling. I know this is the indie games thread - but it often feels like "AA/A/Idie/Russian Jank" thread. (In a good way! I feel safe in here talking about any and all games)

Also - I don't understand Mirrormoon EP.

I had to leave that thread - I just... baffling. I know this is the indie games thread - but it often feels like "AA/A/Idie/Russian Jank" thread. (In a good way! I feel safe in here talking about any and all games)

Also - I don't understand Mirrormoon EP.
What thread? I missed it? Need to read and provide a thoughtful response (or rant)

I don't want to derail much more - but I actually thing Ryse does look nice! Still not getting an Xbox One though. £430?! That's like, what, 43 indie games?!

That math sounds about right to me.

Does The Wolf Among Us count as an indie...I think so. Anyways, I finally got around to playing the first episode last night and I think TellTale has done it again!

I wouldn't even bother mate - same old shit, different day I'm afraid. Had enough of it in the Vita thread so I've stopped posting there as much. Games are games.
Huh...except for a few, it seemed like most of the posters there were pretty supportive and excited for indies. Personally the only next gen games I care about are Watch Dogs, Infamous, and The Division. Everything else I can experience on my laptop for the most part.

Moobabe

Huh...except for a few, it seemed like most of the posters there were pretty supportive and excited for indies. Personally the only next gen games I care about are Watch Dogs, Infamous, and The Division. Everything else I can experience on my laptop for the most part.

It's nice to see, sure, but those same old tired arguments really get to me is all.

Burt

I don't want to derail much more - but I actually thing Ryse does look nice! Still not getting an Xbox One though. £430?! That's like, what, 43 indie games?!
Consider that the Xbone comes out during sale season, it's probably closer to 200.

Burt

Anyone have any experience with Sky Nations? It's PWYW on Indiegamestand right now and I've been looking at it for a while but haven't found much to read impressions-wise.

Anyone have any experience with Sky Nations? It's PWYW on Indiegamestand right now and I've been looking at it for a while but haven't found much to read impressions-wise.
My friends on IGS forums are really into the game and from their impressions, it's supposed to be fun and have a lot of depth. And the developer is a nice guy who makes good on his promises and updates. I'd say it's worth a buck.

Here are my Eldritch impressions:
Beyond 2005's Call of Cthulhu and the more recent Magrunners, it seems that games inspired by the Cthulhu Mythos have been few and far between. (I may be mistaken though). Eldritch plans to change that by combining the otherworldly mythology of Lovecraftian fiction with the tension and thrill of a first-person roguelike.

You begin your journey into the world of Eldritch within a mysterious endless library. This is your hub world, where you can customize your character, choose which level to explore, and just not worry about dying. Levels are represented by mystical books; reading from them pulls you into the procedurally-generated enemy-infested worlds described within their pages.

The elements that make Eldritch stand out from other first person roguelikes is its emphasis on stealth and its varied combat. You can crouch, slide, and lean to peek around corners like in Thief. Footsteps and sprinting make noise and can alert enemies. Bottles and rocks can be thrown to distract enemies. Of the three weapons currently available, your revolver is loud but powerful, your knife is silent, and your crossbow is also silent and can set tripwire traps.

Adding to the stealth mechanics and combat in general is the magic system. Throughout the levels, you collect artifacts that act as both mana and currency. Spells endowed upon you by deity statues require certain amounts of artifacts per use, giving the game a risk-reward element. Do you use your artifacts to cast spells that can distract enemies and unlock doors, create powerful explosion, allow you to teleport, and more, or do you save them to purchase weapons, ammo, and special gear at shopkeepers in each level? Death is final, so choose wisely, although you can save certain amounts of artifacts across attempts by saving them in chests.

Eldritch is still in development so there are kinks and balancing issues to be found. For a game hoping to be a roguelike, I was never lacking ammo or artifacts and some of the enemies, especially those in the first world, are just too easy to kill. Luckily the other worlds up the difficulty with enemies that can't be killed, only temporally stopped and statues that rumble to life in your presence. However for a game inspired by Lovecraftian fiction, I was hoping for more surreal otherworldly enemy designs. The knife and revolver also feel much too overpowered. But these are issues that can easily be remedied as the beta improves and don't detract from the game's overall polish and gameplay.

Eldritch is out on Steam now, only 12.99 until Nov. 1st. I played the beta and really liked it.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/252630/

*EDIT*

Steam keys are out for Humble Bundle purchasers.

Here are my Eldritch impressions:

Eldritch looka cool and I'm digging the visuals. One more game to my wishlisr *sighs*

One of the most disappointing Indie games I ever looked forward to, especially SP because I didnt play MP.

Mostly of people I asked about Monaco said the best way to play the game is MP.

rybrad

One of the most disappointing Indie games I ever looked forward to, especially SP because I didnt play MP.
MP wasn't much better. Didn't even finish it with my buddy that I play every co-op game with. It is incredibly rare that we just give up on a game.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
MP wasn't much better. Didn't even finish it with my buddy that I play every co-op game with. It is incredibly rare that we just give up on a game.

I played it for 3-4 hours and it was so incredibly bland.

I loved Monoco :(.

Oh well, I can see why it gets a lot of hate. It can be an alarming complex game especially give how simple the interface can first seem.

Ok, so some impressions of Edge of Space having played it for several hours over the last few days.

- Number hotkeys for crafting and refining, and Q&E for item selection seems a little obtuse, as you don't spend as much time crafting as you do cycling through your weapons and mining lasers, as an example. Cue much frustration when you have to keep mashing Q and E to find your weapon when an enemy comes along, and bam... you're a goner. Perhaps design choice justified by "it's a survival game" and it simulates the panic of an encounter, but it's not fun.

- Aiming and shooting still need a little work. It can be difficult aiming with the cursor, as there's only a windows mouse cursor and not a crosshair or in-game cursor at this stage.

- Background and foreground tiles are very difficult to distinguish at times, which leads to frustrating jumps and falling deaths. The idea of being able to mine foreground and background tiles with the same tool is nice though. Almost every material in the game is required at some point, sometimes on a regular basis to replenish ammo and other consumables, so you don't feel as though you're just clogging up your inventory with useless crap for trying to progress in the world.

-There's a hell of a lot to craft at this point it seems, and the upgrade and anomaly system seems kind of fun. Lots of risk/reward. Do you rush to the wormhole, try your luck to push forward to find rare items and materials, or do you stay near the exit and scavenge in safety before it closes? There's an emphasis of building your base and changing the world in this game.

- It's a very bright and colourful game in the 16 bit style.

Overall, it's got a hell of a lot of potential, and although learning the ins-and-outs may take a little while still, it was a fun experience overall.

I gotta say thanks to those who brought up tf2outpost a few days ago. I gave it a whirl today on a whim with great success! I'll definitely be considering this as an option down the road.

Now I have extra money in my steam wallet, and I've had my eye on Eldritch for a while. Others in the OT and here have been vocal about it maintaining the same difficulty since the beta. I'm all for what that game seems to be doing, and it being on the easy side wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. But despite having not played it, Eldritch just strikes me as a roguelike that could really hit it out of the park in the difficulty department with the right balance after a patch or two. Am I putting too much thought into this? Should I just bite the bullet?

Manik

Just noticed this thread (and thus all the previous ones) - what a fantastic job, Toma!

Just starting to dip into the few of the indie titles it seems that I've missed, but definitely hoping to stick around and contribute to this amazing thread!

Lamptramp

Does The Wolf Among Us count as an indie...I think so. Anyways, I finally got around to playing the first episode last night and I think TellTale has done it again!

I counted it as an indie. Didn't like walking dead past episode one (though more because I'm not a fan of the source material rather than a fault from Telltale) but I really enjoyed Wolf Among Us, a slightly slow starter maybe but hugely entertaining having recently tried Heavy rain again to mop up some trophies its does a narrative a million times better than that.

Have to say I'm somewhat gratified to no longer feel alone when it comes to Monaco, great looking game but really didn't "click" with me either, had put it down to me just being daft :)

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
The new Sir, You Are Being Hunted biome + halloween update is a lot of fun so far.

6270CF622A31F2F8FA76F982326C961F04D702FF

The industrial biome finally brings the game full-circle. Comparisons between SYABH and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. have come to life in the usual tongue-in-cheek manner. It's bleaker than the other biomes, at night the air has a chilling green tint characteristic of the smog generated by the still-operating machinery. Piles of junk, abandoned cranes and other various urban production vessels dot the English countryside. Naturally, the Biome operates very much in the same way as others - find the parts of the shattered stone - but some new evils lurk that present additional challenge...

6B91354DEDEA7945CFD421323E4A55C4B527B4B9

3AE1F5E430EDC67589002D0B20D46E1CEA419726

Do be careful, sir.

Toma

Just noticed this thread (and thus all the previous ones) - what a fantastic job, Toma!

Just starting to dip into the few of the indie titles it seems that I've missed, but definitely hoping to stick around and contribute to this amazing thread!
Kinda sad if even a gaf regular hasn't seen this thread yet. Welcome Manik. :)

I counted it as an indie. Didn't like walking dead past episode one (though more because I'm not a fan of the source material rather than a fault from Telltale) but I really enjoyed Wolf Among Us, a slightly slow starter maybe but hugely entertaining having recently tried Heavy rain again to mop up some trophies its does a narrative a million times better than that.

Have to say I'm somewhat gratified to no longer feel alone when it comes to Monaco, great looking game but really didn't "click" with me either, had put it down to me just being daft :)

Telltale has been doing excellent work, they are quickly becoming one of my favorite Developers.

Also:
1ES39J2.gif

@ those SYABH screens...it's an amazing looking game.

Top Bottom