• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFamous: Second Son requires 24GB install, final box art revealed

Isn't Infamous open world?

How does "play as you download" work for an open world game? Are you locked into a linear tutorial section until the rest of the game downloads?

With a linear single player game, play as you download makes sense to me. While you're playing level 1, level 2 and the rest of the game is downloading. With games that are free roaming or have separate multiplayer modes I'm interested to know what downloads first or if any of the current PS4 titles require a full install/download before you can boot them.

The PS4 installs off the disc really quickly, but if you have slow internet, it's interesting to see how much of a game you can access before you hit an error message.

ViciousDS

Banned
Only 24 GB? I hope this doesn't signify the scope of the game but shows how well SP can compress a giant game with insane coding skills....

Loomba

So glad I installed a 1TB drive before I got going with my PS4, don't have to worry about space for a while.

jtar86

Have they said weather or not you will be able to pre download the digital version before release. If not I'm going to gamestop at midnight.

In general I find all boxart pretty boring - this is no exception.

The best I can remember was Resistance 3, but there have been some other standouts

Resistance%2B3%2BPS3%2BPackaging.JPG

Can't wait for the game!

My take on spinegate: EU spines fo life! I hate that (most) 3rd party games have to squeeze their whole logo/font on the spine. A consistent font for all games, thank you very much. Carrying the cover art over to the spine as a background is more than enough to make the design distinctive (unfortunately it seems that Second Son doesn't do that, but that's still better than every spine having the game's own dumb logo design).

Zalman

These spines are exactly why I try to get as many NTSC games as possible. You Americans have no idea how lucky you are. :(

ymmv

Banned
Can't wait for the game!

My take on spinegate: EU spines fo life! I hate that (most) 3rd party games have to squeeze their whole logo/font on the spine. A consistent font for all games, thank you very much. Carrying the cover art over to the spine as a background is more than enough to make the design distinctive (unfortunately it seems that Second Son doesn't do that, but that's still better than every spine having the game's own dumb logo design).

We will never be friends.

Ein Bear

Only 24 GB? I hope this doesn't signify the scope of the game but shows how well SP can compress a giant game with insane coding skills....

How do PS4 installs work, anyway? Is it 360-style, where the entire disc is copied over, and the game just runs from the HDD, or is it like on the PS3, where the installed data is supplementary to the disc?

bombshell

How do PS4 installs work, anyway? Is it 360-style, where the entire disc is copied over, and the game just runs from the HDD, or is it like on the PS3, where the installed data is supplementary to the disc?

Whole disc is installed in the background, while you're playing. Taking Killzone:SF into account, expect only a very short wait initially before you can play (< 1 min)

Frumix

Suffering From Success

How does "play as you download" work for an open world game? Are you locked into a linear tutorial section until the rest of the game downloads?

InFamous 1 and 2 both were separated into 3 sections which unlocked the more you progressed through the game.

El-Suave

I hate the plain spines on SCEE games. What the hell is wrong with Sony?

Yup, got my copy of Rayman Legends on PS4 today, colorful front and back and the old generic black on white spine. It's a crime. :(
The weird thing is that the AC 4 CE spine from Ubisoft was not generic. I had hoped they had changed that for all their games.

ViciousDS

Banned

it installs everything just like downloading digital.........play assassins creed from scratch you will see a percentage till you can start the game, for the first 10-15 minutes you will hear your disc drive reading the blu-ray while playing. After a period of time your disc drive will go quiet and everything is read from the HDD.

NBA 2k14 is like 50GB on my HDD

Busty

Banned
You won't even be able to open the pack of bread and get the filling out of the fridge before its ready, if Killzone and Knack are anything to go by. Sony's PlayGo tech is ace.

Incorrect. PS4 games fire up straight away and install as you play.

No such thing on PS4.

I'd like to retract my previous 'sandwich making' comment at this time.

As a PS3 owner I have yet to enjoy the technological advances of the PS4.

I do however continue to enjoy sandwiches.

Thank you.

ViciousDS

Banned
Not all of them.

This being a first party single player game though, it should have the minimal install-play thing.

yes, NBA2K14 for sure takes a whole game install before you can play. I mean you get that spurs vs heat game that you can quickplay but thats it.

Zalman

Yup, got my copy of Rayman Legends on PS4 today, colorful front and back and the old generic black on white spine. It's a crime. :(
The weird thing is that the AC 4 CE spine from Ubisoft was not generic. I had hoped they had changed that for all their games.
It seems that it depends entirely on the publisher. What I want to know is why this ever became a thing and why it only happens in Europe.

robo

Think the minimum it needs to install is 7% before it will start playing so around 1.5gigs I reckon.

SJRB

Gold Member

With a linear single player game, play as you download makes sense to me. While you're playing level 1, level 2 and the rest of the game is downloading. With games that are free roaming or have separate multiplayer modes I'm interested to know what downloads first or if any of the current PS4 titles require a full install/download before you can boot them.

The PS4 installs off the disc really quickly, but if you have slow internet, it's interesting to see how much of a game you can access before you hit an error message.

Perhaps the game starts in a closed-off tutorial area similar to the previous two games.

Ricker

These 24 GB mandatory install even if you buy the retail copy are absolutly ridiculous,especially since I didn't notice any improvements..loading are just as long etc etc...what the hell is this for.

Grimløck;101430422 said:
what does it say on the back in french? anyone care to translate?

The superhuman powers of Deslin Rowe are in your hands. Exploit the power of your prodigious abilities and discover how your choices affect the city and people around you.

- Steal the power of other carriers (Idk if this is some game term, but that's the direct translation)

- Traverse the rooftops of Seattle.

- Change the course of history.

d1rtn4p

For some reason, can't really stand the main character. Looks like he should be holding a Starbuck's coffee and complaining about something.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Incorrect. PS4 games fire up straight away and install as you play.

It's an open world game so I'm not sure about that. They could do it easily with KZ because they could load in a couple of chapters and while you were playing them, it loaded in the next sections. Being able to go anywhere would surely require ALL of the game to be installed?

foxbeldin

It's an open world game so I'm not sure about that. They could do it easily with KZ because they could load in a couple of chapters and while you were playing them, it loaded in the next sections. Being able to go anywhere would surely require ALL of the game to be installed?

Well there's probably an introduction, in a controled environment, that gives time to install the core of the world.

glaurung

Whereas I don't mind these new huge install sizes, I do fucking mind that this cover art has yet again that horrible simple fugly font sleeve side.

secondsonsleeve.png

Why? Why does SCEE keep doing this? It looks horrible! I want my game collection to look nice, even from the side. But no, here we go again with those ugly-ass sleeves.

Son Of D

I'm one of few who prefer the blank spines to be honest. It's more consistent on a shelf and doesn't look messy or cluttered.

Goldenhen

These 24 GB mandatory install even if you buy the retail copy are absolutly ridiculous,especially since I didn't notice any improvements..loading are just as long etc etc...what the hell is this for.
To make your bluray reader last longer.

Jack cw

Look at that spine. God damnit, SCEE.

I hate it so bad. THis is something that bothers me for 3 generations now, with Sony and PAL releases. Guess I have to print a custom spine for the billionth time...
We should start a petition to change this. Sony listens at the moment or somebody just twitter yosp.

1TB HDD so not too worried about the install size, depending on prices I might pick this up from the US Store as no doubt digitally it will work out cheaper than here in the UK.

HORRORSHØW

The superhuman powers of Deslin Rowe are in your hands. Exploit the power of your prodigious abilities and discover how your choices affect the city and people around you.

- Steal the power of other carriers (Idk if this is some game term, but that's the direct translation)

- Traverse the rooftops of Seattle.

- Change the course of history.
thanks much. i was hoping it'd touch on powers we didn't know about.

glaurung

The real estate is really small. You want it to be easily readable on the shelf. It doesn't have to look good.
In the USA, 99% of spines have a properly designed, unique logo.

In the EU, the reasoning is translation. Since SCEE puts this game out with a customized sleeve for every major language group (English, German, French, Spanish, Italian etc), sometimes the artists don't bother with creating unique stencils for every language.

At least that is the reasoning that was given during the PS2 era.

99% of PS2 games in PAL regions had a white spine with black text. Same font every god damn time.

With the PS3, there have been a lot of game boxes that have a designed spine. When I get home, I can snap a picture of my collection.

I was hoping PS4 would have all designed spines, all the time. But no.

Top Bottom