• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFamous: Second Son requires 24GB install, final box art revealed

mrklaw

MrArseFace
These 24 GB mandatory install even if you buy the retail copy are absolutly ridiculous,especially since I didn't notice any improvements..loading are just as long etc etc...what the hell is this for.

I've noticed load times being pretty damn good on PS4. And when you consider it has 16x the memory of the PS3, that is pretty impressive.

Basically no practical way to read the game data off the bluray drive and not have 5 minute load times - HDD is the only solution.

And the way PS4 does it - it'll start installing as soon as you put the disc in, even before you've sat back down again - and installing as you play, means it is as seamless as it can possibly be.

d0nd

24 GB np i have nothing on my HD

maybe

don't starve
resogun
contrast

AC4: BF

i'm probly going to double dip it retail + digital for the extra content

fasTRapid

Banned
In the EU, the reasoning is translation. Since SCEE puts this game out with a customized sleeve for every major language group (English, German, French, Spanish, Italian etc), sometimes the artists don't bother with creating unique stencils for every language.
Why bother changing the name in the first place? I can't remember a single PS3 game that had a unique, translated name for Germany.

BigDug13

Isn't Infamous open world?

How does "play as you download" work for an open world game? Are you locked into a linear tutorial section until the rest of the game downloads?

With a linear single player game, play as you download makes sense to me. While you're playing level 1, level 2 and the rest of the game is downloading. With games that are free roaming or have separate multiplayer modes I'm interested to know what downloads first or if any of the current PS4 titles require a full install/download before you can boot them.

The PS4 installs off the disc really quickly, but if you have slow internet, it's interesting to see how much of a game you can access before you hit an error message.

Infamous has always used some sort of in-game device that forces players to remain in a smaller area at first. For the previous games it was a lack of power and overwhelming enemy force in the dark areas until the story was ready for you to proceed.

glaurung

Why bother changing the name in the first place? I can't remember a single PS3 game that had a unique, translated name for Germany.
That's what I said - back in the PS2 era, translation was brought as an argument.

I think maybe 1-2% of PS3 games had their original names changed in favor of a local translation.

NeonDelta

I wish I had your connection. :'c

I think my PS4 pulls about 10 Mbps off the Wifi last I checked. Not possible to plug it in, unfortunately.
Can't you get powerline adapters? That's what I did. I was getting 4-8gb through wifi but now I'm getting 26-30mb speeds

K' Dash

two things I want to know:

1. Download Size
2. Will this have the feature where you download a portion and start playing?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
two things I want to know:

1. Download Size
2. Will this have the feature where you download a portion and start playing?

1 - won't that be the same 24GB? Or do some discs only install the game and leave cinematics etc on the disc?

2 - almost certainly.

Carl

Well if the spine ia the only thong people have to complain about then that's pretty good I suppose

Put me down on the list that prefers plain spines

Xav

inFamous has always had terrible box art, the only exception was when they went with the comic book style case for inFamous Special Edition.

9FwZJed.jpg

Rozart

They always use a generic font for spines. Nintendo is the same. It looks so bland on a shelf.

This. I get kind of obsessive about it sometimes. I have a mix of generic and official font spines displayed in my shelf and the games with generic fonts just irk me. Especially if I have a set of sequels-- AC3 for instance is the only game in the franchise that has that generic font and it looks so out of place against the rest.

It's not a deal breaker or anything but it's just something that I get a lil bummed out by.

This. I get kind of obsessive about it sometimes. I have a mix of generic and official font spines displayed in my shelf and the games with generic fonts just irk me. Especially if I have a set of sequels-- AC3 for instance is the only game in the franchise that has that generic font and it looks so out of place against the rest.

It's not a deal breaker or anything but it's just something that I get a lil bummed out by.

While I vastly prefer the generic spines, I do agree that publishers should at least be consistent with their franchises.
All my mainline (EU) Final Fantasies are nicely generic, but for FFXIII-2 Square for some reason decided to suddenly use the proper logo on the spine. Wha...

Umm...I had the impressions that ALL PS4 games are installed. But damn, starting the game is quick. I actually timed this for Killzone:SF and it only took 46 seconds to get to the menu screen!

dreamfall

In m veins!

Went back and played some inFAMOUS 2 last night- I still love that game, although the third town and the enemy types start to get a bit overwhelming.

I'm really excited about this game! I wish Delsin didn't look so smug, but I'm hyped to just explore all the Seattle goodness.

Hasney

Umm...I had the impressions that ALL PS4 games are installed. But damn, starting the game is quick. I actually timed this for Killzone:SF and it only took 46 seconds to get to the menu screen!

They are, if you look at the menus, it's still installing and you can pick to have the single player or multiplayer prioritised.

Still doesn't take a amssive amount of time from disc, but the in-game downloading portions around launch for NBA, FIFA and Killzone were excruciatingly long after the initial download was so fast.

The good part about having it on disc. Pop it in, wait ~40 seconds and play while it automatically continues to install in the background. MMM-mmm!
Sweet feature if you ask me.

Because I find it weird...lets say I want to rent a game for 3 days only or something,I need to install 24 GB...especially for a single player game.

It probably won't even take a minute before you can start playing and it's not like you can't delete the install data after you're done.

Hasney

Because I find it weird...lets say I want to rent a game for 3 days only or something,I need to install 24 GB...especially for a single player game.

Well you can delete it later. It's much better than dealing with horrible load times.

SLOSifl

The install happens in the background. Delete it if you need space after you return it, I guess?

mattp

every single xbone and ps4 game is installed
why are we still making threads about shit like this as if its news?

Gammacide

Size is fine by me as all these next-gen titles will be fairly huge.

My only complaint is that pose. It is SOOOOOOOO overused in SOOOOOOO many action scenes--land on a knee and a hand with the other hand behind, look up at the camera. Ugh. Trite as trite can be. Otherwise, this is gonna be a seriously fun game. :D

Hasney

every single xbone and ps4 game is installed
why are we still making threads about shit like this as if its news?

Because the size is actually important? I'm up to 60% taken up, so with March being batshit insane with games coming out, I'm keen to know.

Top Bottom