• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac Dev asks for GAF feedback

Torquill

Ease up on the difficulty a bit. I'm an old salty game dog, but Resistance had parts that I thought were just plain silly with difficulty. Do yall still have the inhouse masseuses a few days a week? Get your designers to go a few more times a week so they hate me less. :D

I'd also say diversify a bit. One more good franchise would be awesome if yall find one that works.

DeadGzuz

Banned
I'll use R2 for my comments, since it was the last game and most current tech.

• 30fps held up very well, you guys maintain frame rates better than most
  • 720P with AA, you don't skimp on the resolution
  • Weapons - they all look and feel great
  • Enemy animation and textures are very well done
  • Great scale, I love the large battles like in Chicago
  • I liked Hale, the cut scenes and voice acting was well done, though the R1 narration could have been used along with it.

Stuff that could use work:
  • Shaders, some stuff looks flat and dull
  • Texture res, it's uneven - some stuff looks great up close some of it looks poor
  • Lighting, the indoor parts were not lit well, it seemed the lighting engine had issues. The flashlight was better in R1.
  • I liked the weapon wheel, make it unlockable for 2nd play troughs if it can't be balanced for.
  • No co-op in the SP? JS claimed balance issues, sometime as players we just like to have it balanced or not. Haze did it!
  • Bots would be nice, especially with only two people playing co-op.
  • Some parts were overly scripted and easy to break.
  • AI needs tweaking, it would be nice if Hale was never enemy #1 unless it was called for. Sometimes enemy AI worked well, but other times they ignored AI teammates.
  • Art direction was not very consistent, some levels looked great, other looked less so. The Resistance world should be readily recognizable due to it's art direction like Gears, Mirrors Edge, Dead Space, etc.
  • Hale needs more HPs or the enemy needs less accuracy.

R2 is one of my favorite games this year, it was a 9/10 game could have reached higher.

PARANO1A

Resistance 3 needs a great single-player campaign. Having an "alright" campaign isn't going to set the world on fire no matter how good the multi/co-op is.

Spy

I am an avid FPS player but nothing seemed to click when I played the Resistance games. I LOVE the Ratchet and Clank series with a passion. I think that's what Insomniac is best at and should stick with making, platformers.

neight said:
More platforming in Ratchet & Clank!

QFB had a much heavier platforming element to it than TOD. I would suggest making clanks missions more enjoyable and doing something with the space flight. That part of the game just felt sort of put in there. Also ... some of the weapons in TOD made the game rather easy. Which might not be a bad thing since my Fiance was able to play it.

Resistance. I like both of the games in the franchise. What I"m curious to know is, did you guys want more time with R2? Some parts of the game seemed much more polished then others. The boss fights were great ideas, but could have been more difficult. Its felt like the campaign was much more challenging that the actual boss fights. Also ... bring back the damn weapon wheel for 3.

You guys are pretty ace. I've bought and been happy with each game you've made this gen. I like the community support.

I own every Insomniac PS3 game and I love them all. That being said there is one thing I would ask
of you guys. You have given us glimpses of brilliance in every game made R2 has it RTC definitely
has it but we just get glimpses. I know its probably because of your overly ambitious development
schedule which until R2 has paid off in dividends. But R2 was just too much for you guys to handle
in the time given. Some sections seems immensely polished both graphically and in gameplay and
others seem as if they never were play tested.

For the next game take the time to develop the tech necessary to achieve your lofty visions. We
know you guys all have amazing ideas you just need the engine to support them.

The art in R1 is far superior in my opinion to whats going on in R2. Resistance very much has its
own style and feel whereas R2 seems much more generic. I hope for R3 you guys go back to what
originally set you so apart from the already glutted FPS genre.

I would like to reiterate that I think you guys make fantastic games and as always whatever you design
next I will be there day one.

ithorien

I know it's not exactly a probable thing, but it would be amazing to have the next Ratchet game run about 20 hours.

RCF is one of my favorite games, and I ended up playing through it 5 times to get all the skill points. If the adventure was longer, I would have loved it only that much more.

Haven't had a chance to check out R2, but keep up the great work.

Crisis

Banned
StreetDisciple said:
Next Resistance.....3rd person.

retribution_3.jpg

Done.

Don

Bring multiplayer back for the next Ratchet game. I really enjoyed the multiplayer in Up Your Arsenal.

Xabora

CHRP718 said:
Ratchet & Clank Future = :D :D :D :D
This!!

However it would be awesome to have R&C 1 - 3 remade [and enhance the resolution to 720p or 1080p?] for DL on the PSN. (as a PSN game itself)
Simply because I cannot play them due to Sony being slow with BC support.

BlacKMaRK

Banned
Ratchet & Clank

Please make it more challenging. the ps2 ratchets were my fav game series on the ps2, but the ps3 one was wayyyyy to easy.

i mean the enemies would just walk up to you. please add more challenge to the next ratchet

long time insomniac fan
-blackmark

Teknoman

Next Resistance game:

Please put in between level cutscenes or narration so that the player is 100% clear on why they are chasing after the next objective.

Next Ratchet game: Keep up the good work.

For all Insomniac games: Please create soundtracks that pack a little more of a punch. Right now the soundtracks for most Insomniac games are nice, but they still just feel like unimportant background music.

BeeDog

If you aim to keep the Resistance franchise going, then you really need to find a more cohesive art style. As great as the second game is (the co-op is worse than crack, I've learnt today), the artstyle outside of the enemy models is pretty ugly.

The engine is FANTASTIC (a lot of people don't seem to appreciate the tech behind it, the amount of enemies and shit that's thrown around without a hitch, the perfect netcode etc.), but the art direction will close the bag, and will bring people's attention a bit more, I think.

i think the next step for future improvements on the game engine should be bound to lightning, that's what didn't impress me in resi2 (i haven't finished it yet).

textures are a big improvement compared to previous games, water is really good and level are huge, lighting is the next thing that needs more work.

btw, mike, are you asking us about only tech improvements or even game-play suggestions (what we would like to see in your next games)?

[i'm really appreciating this, insomniac :) ]

Honestly, I think you guys should focus on two majors things for your next outing:

Ratchet and Clank 2009- Keep doing what you're doing. Seriously, I have been extremely impressed with all you guys have done to evolve the series and the animation and graphics are top-notch.

The Inevitable Resistance 3- Make it multiplayer only. After playing through all of the Resistance 2 single player campaign (MULTIPLE TIMES on MULTIPLE DIFFICULTIES) and playing hours upon hours of the multiplayer I really think you guys should consider cutting the single-player campaign altogether. It seemed as though the campaign was very much a realization of many different "wouldn't this be an epic battle?" ideas and ultimately, again just my opinion, it fell flat on its face. The "epic" bosses were not interactive enough to be enjoyable, numerous parts of the levels (the one that really comes to mind is where you have to swim behind cover while avoiding the crocodile Chimera monster in Chicago) seemed nearly unplayable and the storyline
(what with Nathan's tranformaion and death at the end)
has been wrapped up.

You guys really need to focus on making the already outstanding multiplayer even stronger and perhaps add new modes and challenges while seamlessly integrating whatever story you guys may have left for the series into the multiplayer.

EDIT:
Visualante said:
Insomniac should do a fighting game, with all their characters and various characters from Sony franchises.

Key features: Cool physics, sick Insomniac animations.
OMG THIS TOO. Please, seriously, please do this. If you guys were to make ANY game for PS3, I really, really, really, want to see a Sony fighting game akin to Smash Bros./ Power Stone. Not only would it sell like hotcakes but also it would be a Sony fanboys dream.

Throw in your characters (Ratchet, Clank, Capt. Qwark, Chimera, Nathan Hale) along with other Sony stars (Sackboy, Kratos, Nathan Drake, Helghast, Nariko, Old Snake) and some third-party characters (Altair, Issac [from Dead Space]). Make levels based around those worlds plus worlds that couldn't have characters (i.e. Motorstorm, Wipeout, Warhawk).

Seriously, MAKE THIS. I BEG OF YOU.

Insomniac should do a fighting game, with all the various characters from Sony franchises.

Key features: Cool physics, sick Insomniac animations.

CHRP718

Banned
gamerecks said:
I hope you're not saying that Insomniac developed Uncharted.
Naughty Dog developed Uncharted. I know that.
I was talking about a Futuristic 3rd person shooter from Insomniac for PlayStation® 3:D

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Resistance franchise needs to embrace its "ridiculousness" more(if that makes any sense). Push the weapons cretivity more, i think R2 was a step more towards normalcy. And Please KEEP hammering at the Co-Op idea you guy came with for R2, Its like no other FPS, its fun, Could be better and there's your work for an "R3"...or NEW DIRSRUPTOR!:lol

Ratchet and Clank, well i dont have too many request for that one really, Quest for Booty was a definite step towards "perfection". So basically keep trying to balance Platforming and Shooter, because its the combination that makes R&C stand out. Make it bigger and add more challenges for replay value's sake.

as for the Engine, R&C does'nt need it but I think Resistance can use some more Blur effects n Particles. Im not a tech head but you guys can figure it out...and 60FPS in FPS dont matter to me and most people.

LOVES:

- Targeting 60fps or 60 player multi. This is HUGE in my book.
- Environments and Skyboxes. Ratchet and Resistance 2 both have amazing backgrounds.
- Controls are silky smooth and remappable.
- Collectable extras in the Resistance games that fill in the backstory.
- In game rewards for achievements. Different costumes in Ratchet, concept art and extras in Resistance.
- That you are soliciting opinions from the community like this.
- That you guys are a bunch of unstoppable ambitious workhorses.

CRITICISMS:

- Too many instant kills in Resistance 2. Whether it be the invisible predator things, the indestructible aquatic beasties, or just some of the trial and error scenarios in the game. Makes the game feel cheap, like the level designers are trying to punish the players as opposed to giving a real challenge.

- Too much reliance on just throwing waves and waves of enemies as challenge. All of the Insomniac games I've played have this in common. Its not enough to have varied enemies, but the environments themselves have to play a larger role in how combat plays out. You guys nailed it in Resistance: Fall of Man with several set-piece battles that had an ebb and flow to them and multiple angles of approach. Somehow that got lost in R2.

- Co-op bosses are just uber-large buckets of hit points. They need to be rethought so there is more to taking them down besides just firing continuously for 5 to 10 minutes.

- Co-op class combination needs some more work: Soldiers are too reliant on getting fed ammo, which requires SpecOps to drop out of their role to do something that's not really "fun". Maybe the SpecOps could regenerate soldier ammo by proximity? Just a random thought.

- Co-op Soldiers all look like greasy ex-cons. Why is that?

- The server browser in R2 sorts only by alpha? Makes it hard to find a good game.

- Enemies need to focus their attacks on NPCs as well as the player. It destroys immersion when the enemy ignores your allies and heads straight for you.

- Hidden achievements. We're going to just look em up on GameFAQs anyway, so you might as well just let us know what we have to do to achieve them.

I criticize because I love you guys and know what you are capable if given the time.

Kauza

After playing through Resistance 2 (as well as previous games, of course, but R2 is freshest in my mind), I think the thing that Insomniac could benefit from most is a stronger focus on the story/writing in the games.

Resistance 2 is especially guilty of having weak writing and story. The game is on such a massive and grand scale--I'm trying to save the entire human race, but I just don't care. The way the game presents the world and its inhabitants is dull and lifeless. Playing through the single player campaign, I just didn't get a sense that what I was doing really had any meaning. The fact that the ending (which I won't discuss) affected me in no way is a really bad sign.

Now, this is all secondary to the ability to make the experience fun, which R2 does succeed at doing. I'm offering the above criticism because R2 did a great deal right. But compared to so many of the other single player experiences this year, there was simply no emotional investment on my part whatsoever.

Now, in discussing previous projects, like the Ratchet and Clank series, it is a different story. R&C succeeds on a story level because it have a great sense of personality--one that we've come to expect, but at the same time, one that we come back for because it is so damn good. The humor is always enjoyable, and each of the characters allows for a more memorable experience on the story side. The fact that the games have always been balanced with a strong focus on gameplay always helps as well. The leveling elements have always been a favorite of mine--I can't finish a R&C game without maxing out each of the weapons. Giving the players additional layers to the gameplay always makes the experience more enjoyable.

I feel like I'm stating the obvious in a lot of ways. Still, I've become more and more concerned with my emotional investment in games recently, and I think this is the main area in which Resistance 2 fails. The characters are paper thin, and in focusing on a huge scale, the important minor nuances of an experience that, in some way, connects with the player are lost.

I know you're more interested in the tech side of things, but that's an area that I know far less about. Is this helpful in any way at all? :)

Dante

DemonSwordsman said:
I'd just say be more consistent. Like in resistance 2 some parts look amazing but then there are these little areas that look like they were just thrown in. ALL areas of the level need the same amount of attention to detail.

And the boss fights were great!. MOREEEEEE

I think this is due to their really aggressive development time, as a fan I'd rather have them take their time, and release a more consistent product in terms of visuals, also I think more dynamic lighting could help the overall look of their games.

Id love to see a

animal crossing type of game

with

Gears of war 2 type of control

with

a more "mature" and gritty artstyle

with emphasis on asynchronous multiplayer

and random story

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Ok, art and tech...
Im gonna agree with everyone else:
R2 looks amazing on some levels and not so much on others, i think that you guys are too ambitious (sorry for my english), R2 is really a big game who didnt have enough development time.

It has some serious game-breaking bugs:
-The water effect on ceilings when there is no water at all at San Francisco.
-The bad pathfinding who makes every AI to stuck in walls.
-The odd music glitch on Lousiana.

You guys are amazing but you need more development time, you are doing one AAA title each year which is unheard of, but its time to ease a little and take the time to do things really great instead of good.

Oh and by the way you have the best net code in the industry @_@

Rocksteady33

I agree with the no guns game. The Spyro series was the pinnacle of your guys portfolio, and you've all but gone the other way in making games like that. Make another platformer in the vein of Spyro. Colorful, vibrant, awesome - and no god damn guns. Sorry but the Ratchet games are god awful platformers, and have become completely generic. It still baffles me how you guys quickly abandoned the Spyro series, yet the Ratchet and Clank series has gotten so stale yet it continues to go on. Kill that series off, or at the very least just sell the IP (aka what you did to Spyro) and start something new.

You're a brave man Mr. Acton! Perhaps you're just emboldened by Kittonwy's absence.

That said, here are my suggestions from having played Resistance, R&C TOD/QFB, but only the R2 beta.

I think the most important thing for the engine team moving forward is to create a distinctive house look for insomniac games. This has become one of the biggest strengths of Sony's first party portfolio. Rather than games that all look like lesser UE3 Gears games, you have games like Uncharted, Killzone 2, and LBP that are each graphically distinct and have strengths in different areas. Insomniac is a little lost in this.

The best thing about the graphics of the current batch of released Insomniac's games is the image quality. I'd focus on keeping that the core focus. Assuming your next game is the next Ratchet game, this focus would artistically fit perfectly. Rather than trying to push ever greater amounts of shiny looking normal maps and detailed textures to try and compare with UE3 and Uncharted, emphasize more polys and better AA. Combined with some more refinement in the lighting engine and you could have a game that truly does invite comparison to the early Pixar look.

Finally I think there's been far too much emphasis this gen on making things look realistic. Screw realism, make things look cool!

Artofwar420

Hi Mike, here are two points:

• R&C: GC, R&C: UYA, both STELLAR single player platformers. Nailed it there.
  • Story with R:FoM was great, specially the mysterious cloven.

That's what made me a fan of Insomniac's work.

Create a cheap small downloadable game on PSN/XBLA/Wiiware that is based around a new game concept. It will be less of a risk in creating a full retail game and it will be a reliable way in seeing what tech works in a game.

SSJChar

zombie survival horror. not a fast paced one, but like how resident evil USED to be. dark, low ammo, rooms you enter cautiously and no one yelling "reloading!" every 5 seconds. Make it run at 30 fps so you can pump out lighting/graphics/models for ambiance. Ive always wanted a zombie FPS game to make me fear what might be in the next room, or if i saw something, I'd be able to run into a room and slam the door shut and hold it shut.

konrad77

Mike Acton said:
Hi!
So let 'er rip. And ask questions - I'll do my best to answer whatever I can.
I have two questions for you:
I guess you branched the engine at some state some months before the release of Resistance 2. What tech will we see in your next game that never ended up in resistance 2?

Can you explain why shadows often flickers this generation and looked good last generation?

DeadGzuz

Banned
Fenderputty said:
I didn't put this, but I would also like to see some more effects in R3. Some nice blur would be great.

You mean like when you sprint or do you just a full time blur to make it look like crap? :D

Puck

Banned
Please continue to have awesome unlockables for your games. Srsly, replayability = awesome.

Please patch in some trophies into Q4B and possibly lower the price by a few bucks. You will get ALOT of sales.

Thanks .

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I feel like a lot of the work you guys put into building R2's engine to show "scale" was all for naught. You end up with a lot of pretty skyboxes that don't feel very interactive. Take the San Francisco level, for example. You come up from underground and you see this absolutely amazing vista with the battlecruisers off in the distance. It's stunning. I think it's the prettiest thing in Resistance 2. But you never really do anything with it. In fact, you go back underground into underground corridors-- by far the ugliest areas of Resistance 2.

If I were the team, I would drop the emphasis on scale unless I was sure I could design innovative, fresh, fun scenarios around interacting with said scale. Resistance 2 does not really accomplish this at all. Focus on intricate detail and setpiece design, because ultimately that's what gamers remember and what Resistance 2 lacks.

So I would design an engine that allowed for a lot of detail in a very small space. Gamers have showed with Call of Duty that they don't mind being funneled down a small path if things are happening around them. Resistance 2 is like Call of Duty with the wrong tech, in my opinion.

edit: wow some of you guys can't read

bdouble said:
Seems like half of you guys miss the part where he wanted to focus on art and tech?

No worries. Tech and art (including graphics, sound, animation, physics, effects, etc.) is just where I'm personally most focused. The other comments are welcome too - and expected.

Thanks for looking out for me though! :)

Mike.

Pimpbaa

The 1 hit kills from enemies in R2 was a terrible idea! Please don't do it again. Also, I'd like to see something fresh from you guys next. Perhaps something with titties. You guys do really good on the technical side of things. I think you could do wonders with breast physics.

Top Bottom