• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is 3,25% milk really that much worse for your health?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is something that I have heard for all my life. "It's so much fatter". "You'll do cholesterol". Things like that. But with the general population's knowledge on food being often times completely wrong and ignorant, is that shit true? I love 3,25% milk. It's so much better than 2%. I'm trying to find vindication.

btrboyev

Milk isn't good for you regardless when you think about it. But to answer your question, the difference between skim and 2% isn't a large one..noticeable in texture, but I doubt it's "worse" for you.

Jay Sosa

Here is an actual picture of a Food Scientist:

6817411371_05e5e88b7f.jpg

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
This is something that I have heard for all my life. "It's so much fatter". "You'll do cholesterol". Things like that. But with the general population's knowledge on food being often times completely wrong and ignorant, is that shit true? I love 3,25% milk. It's so much better than 2%. I'm trying to find vindication.

No, no bro.

Anything over or under 2% is nasty as hell.

As a big lover of milk, I am decently sure that no form of milk is all that healthy for you. Changing percentages is splitting hairs, go with what you think tastes good if you are going to drink it.

Laieon

Milk isn't good for you regardless when you think about it.

Whole Milk makes me happy. I want to be happy. Therefore, I can conclude that milk is in fact good for me.

2%, 1%, and Slim are disgusting and should be taken out back though.

lokimotion

Neo Member
Unless you're drinking a ludicrous amount, not really. It's an extra 10 or so calories per cup, with 3 grams of fat more than 2%, which is countered a bit by having 2 grams of less carbs.

You do get a couple of extra grams of protein with 2% but really not enough to make a huge difference.

jmdajr

Saturated Fat is NEUTRAL. Not really good...or bad for you.

Eat your vegetables.

I get my cholesterol checked every month. Whole milk has done nothing to it. In fact it dropped because I eat less sugar now.

Science will have to snatch my gallon of Lactaid Whole Milk from my cold, dead hands.

That shit is magical, and is even thicker and creamier than normal whole milk with lactose.

all over me

Fuchsdh

I ruined my roommate in college by insisting we should get 2% milk instead of skim like he'd grown up with. Now he can't go back.

The science on this stuff is conflicting and utterly useless, so really as long as you're not drinking gallons of the stuff and combining it with a lot of other fat, knock yourself out on the whole milk.

I ruined my roommate in college by insisting we should get 2% milk instead of skim like he'd grown up with. Now he can't go back.

The science on this stuff is conflicting and utterly useless, so really as long as you're not drinking gallons of the stuff and combining it with a lot of other fat, knock yourself out on the whole milk.

Was he like oh wow milk has a taste and isn't just white water because that's what skim milk is

Trevelyan

Banned
I go through about 1.5 gallons of whole milk a week, and when I was between the ages of 2-3, I pretty much only drank milk, according to my mom. I can't live without it. I would like to learn how milk is not good for you, though.

G.ZZZ

There's actually no studies that confirm fat milk being worse for you, in fact, most circumnstatial evidence and studies point to the contrary. High fat dairy diets are linked to lower obesity and are neutral or positive in most other biological markers.

It makes a bit of sense when you realize that skim milk is just literally soda, aka water and sugar.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Science will have to snatch my gallon of Lactaid Whole Milk from my cold, dead hands.

That shit is magical, and is even thicker and creamier than normal whole milk with lactose.

all over me
Total agreement here. Lactaid Whole Milk is godlike. The Target store brand is maybe even better, tbh. But they're the only milk I buy.

jmdajr

There's actually no studies that confirm fat milk being worse for you, in fact, most circumnstatial evidence and studies point to the contrary. High fat dairy diets are linked to lower obesity and are neutral or positive in most other biological markers.

It makes a bit of sense when you realize that skim milk is just literally soda, aka water and sugar.

I think of all my years wasted drinking that skim milk garbage.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Not true. Here is one such study.

br3wnor

Shouldn't make a huge difference health wise, I'm just so used to the taste of skim and 1/2% milk that when I have 'whole' milk it's WAY too rich for me.

Kind of wish that for once I could enter a gaf thread about the nutrition about [insert basic food here] where the inevitable '[insert basic food here] is bad for you' post is actually explained instead of dropped into the pool like a snickers bar without explanation.

Futureman

Saturated Fat is NEUTRAL. Not really good...or bad for you.

Eat your vegetables.

I get my cholesterol checked every month. Whole milk has done nothing to it. In fact it dropped because I eat less sugar now.

Why do you get your cholesterol checked monthly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom