• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Aloy a Mary Sue?

Is Aloy a Mary Sue

• Total voters

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Eh? I have heard of it a few times. James Bond is a famous Mary Sue.

And yet the term "Mary Sue" is comprised of two women names put together. We see who the term is really designed for.

SinDelta

I consider Aloy a great hero. She went through some terrible shit to get there though.
Losing her father figure, and many of her potental friends/rivals in the Proving massacre was horrific enough and that's just in the first act of the game.

Last edited:
Spiderman (Peter Parker and Miles Morales), Jin Sakai, Nathan Drake, Gordon Freeman, CJ (GTA SA), etc.

What about them? Should we make a thread as well for each one of them, or is there some common thing about all of them that makes it more acceptable to OP compared to Aloy?

And yet the term "Mary Sue" is comprised of two women names put together. We see who the term is really designed for.

The term Mary Sue was coined by Paula Smith, as a character's name in the 1973 parody short story "A Trekkie's Tale", which satirized idealized female characters widespread in Star Trek fan fiction.

Must be some of that internalized misogyny.

Zeroing

Banned
I had finished the game in a long time! But from what I recal.
She’s an outcast, as a kid, not knowing why everyone sees her as different, of course she will have anger issues! She trained because Nora kids do a trial of endurance, she trains even harder to because it’s the only way to be accepted so that all hard work pays off on her physical skills.

she travels to other parts and is nice to people because she knows what is like to feel like an outsider and most of the people she encounters do not treat her like her own tribe did! She’s curious about everything!

the story is a metaphor of being excluded from a group because you’re different and not letting your anger and hate dominate you… because you’ll turn into that same group you hate…

looks like all this was missed by a lot of gamers….

Brofist

Spiderman (Peter Parker and Miles Morales), Jin Sakai, Nathan Drake, Gordon Freeman, CJ (GTA SA), etc.

What about them? Should we make a thread as well for each one of them, or is there some common thing about all of them that makes it more acceptable to OP compared to Aloy?
I get what you are saying but what an odd list for comparison. CJ?

oagboghi2

This is embarrassingly stupid. Stop it.

Mary Sue came from the fanfic community, referencing a popular self insert in a Star Trek story that was female. It’s not some patriarchal plot.

OP was right to point this out about Aloy, but this is a symptom of modern writing. Not Guerilla Games going out of their way to make a Mary Sue. Video games, by virtue of how they are designed, motivate studios to write characters like this. Few studios know how to write well rounded protagonists, while at the same time having to fit that into a narrative where the player is constantly moving forward.

To bad we can’t have that conversation because people are so easily triggered when anything referencing a female is criticized. If OP had written about Gordon Freeman you wouldn’t be here crying

Last edited:

oagboghi2

If OP had made a thread about any of those characters, would morons run into those threads crying “incel”?

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
WOW!! People having thoughts about something and sharing it on a forum??
Is the end of the world!!

Instead of disrespecting OP, why not give a thought about what he is saying and say something about it instead of attacking him??
I respectfully disagreed with the OP, didn't attack him, made an argument why I disagree, and asked him where he felt I was wrong. Why more people don't debate others the way they want people to debate them is beyond me.

Brofist

This is embarrassingly stupid. Stop it.

Mary Sue came from the fanfic community, referencing a popular self insert in a Star Trek story that was female. It’s not some patriarchal plot.

OP was right to point this out about Aloy, but this is a symptom of modern writing. Not Guerilla Games going out of their way to make a Mary Sue. Video games, by virtue of how they are designed, motivate studios to write characters like this. Few studios know how to write well rounded protagonists, while at the same time having to fit that into a narrative where the player is constantly moving forward.

To bad we can’t have that conversation because people are so easily triggered when anything referencing a female is criticized. If OP had written about Gordon Freeman you wouldn’t be here crying
Yeah after I saw the flow of who cares and it's a game responses I decide to not bother. If a game is going out of it's way to cram a story down your throat than they should be held accountable. Not that I entirely agree with OP regardless.

That particular poster has the angle of this being a character in one of his beloved Sony games as well, so this topic probably struck a couple nerves with him. If it was a strong female character in an Xbox game he probably wouldn't have cared.

Chiggs

Gold Member
She's a Mary let herself go

You rang?

KeWI8i7.jpg

Last edited:

NahaNago

I'd say she isn't a mary sue for the most part. The biggest problem I see is that she is the main character of a video game so as the main character your are suppose to succeed and win the day. Aloy is a girl in tribal technological times? so I'd expect every male to hit on her. I think the whole politician thing makes her more of a mary sue than her fighting and slaying mechanical monsters since I would expect that normally from a game world with mechanical monsters. I'm too burnt out to comment on the rest. Final answer is no.

I know it might be odd, but it seems like people like playing as heroes.

This is the typical game protagonist:

wants confederate flag GIF
gal gadot by brian GIF

If games just emulated real life, why would we fucking play them?

Is this your type of protagonist?:

tonight show dance GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Yeah who like characters that grow to be strong despite all the shit the world gives from humble beginnings? I mean, haha, you kinda got to be real special to like those kind of characters.

Yeah who like characters that grow to be strong despite all the shit the world gives from humble beginnings? I mean, haha, you kinda got to be real special to like those kind of characters.
I love it when there is a good character arc to the story, don't get me wrong, but seriously name just one video game protagonist that is not completely overpowered by the end of the game. Doesn't happen. We like to be awesome, we like to be the hero, we like to be able to beat all of the bad guys. This is human nature, and isn't just a video game thing either, it is also true in a lot of the most popular TV series and movies.

I love it when there is a good character arc to the story, don't get me wrong, but seriously name just one video game protagonist that is not completely overpowered by the end of the game. Doesn't happen. We like to be awesome, we like to be the hero, we like to be able to beat all of the bad guys. This is human nature, and isn't just a video game thing either, it is also true in a lot of the most popular TV series and movies.

That is the kind of the point isnt it? Start off weak, become op at the end?

I mean just because it is standard in games doesnt mean it should be the norm.

I think even the Hardcore Anti-SJWs are tired of this shit.

Aloy has earned her characteristics more than almost any character I can think off.

As a outcast nobody but her adoptive dad could even speak to her. Cause they thought she was witchcraft, she basically was. Thats why she is incredibly strong. Through out the game poeple are disgusted by the fact she’s an outcast. That would contribute to her need to help everyone. Curious about everything. Which makes her gullible. Etc...

vti9985.png

^ That is her mom. She has handpicked top notch genetics, specifically to save the human race. Plus she was home schooled as a hunter for 18 years. Her CHEEKS THO LOL WOOF WOOF.

To be fair the characters in horizon zero dawn are pretty one dimensional... You don't play that game for the story, maybe the lore, but not the story.

And from what we have seen the sequel is just as cringe worthy (the game portion is great, just not the story).

Zannegan

She's a videogame protagonist, of course she's not believable. That's the point. And why pick on Aloy for being OP, having undue influence and countless romance options when this describes 90% of franchise mains in gaming?

Gaming's de facto mascot is a chubby plumber who defeats hoards of monstrous enemies, is regularly consulted on matters of state in a magical kingdom, and happens to be dating its monarch. Should we start calling him Mario Sue?

Before people mentioned the beginning of the game I noticed I didn't even remember the story very well.

Just wanted to kill some robot dinos, I was not expecting the highest form of art. lol

I think in this forum's case it's more of a case of getting triggered whenever anything Sony is criticised. It's kind of like politics - don't ever question the party.

The whole origin story of Aloy's "mother" is so ridiculously Mary-suey it couldn't be any more Mary-Suey if it tried. She's the real OG Mary Sue in the story. Her gang of scientists who are gathered to save the world is also hilarious.

Aloy herself perhaps less so - but she's still an extremely dull character because they don't really allow her to have too many emotions or real experiences with other people.

No.
There is a number of way to judge a Mary Sue, but only the overly broad ways would include her.
First, unlike your usual Mary Sue, she is canonical shown to have to struggle to achieve most everything she has gained. Most Mary Sue's by contrast are just handed most their powers and achievements with little to no struggle.,
Second, she is not well liked by everyone, or the general focus of their attention, without good reason. There is a few cases where yeah she seems to gain attention rather implausibly, but in the majority she gains the attention she deserves, both positive and negative. Her own tribe, for instance, initially is quite hostile to her and she has to actually earn their respect.
Third, she isn't actually flawless either. Like most game protagonists, she's unusually competent, but she has failings in the story that do require others to get her out of.

That said, her character could use improvement, just like many a central game protagonist, as they do have a nasty tendency of coming off too good in a wide range of areas that stretches believability.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Yes I think so but most game protagonists are.

ZikJ7XJ.jpg

I'm so afraid for Joanna Dark.

Green_Eyes

Forget it OP, these guys don't understand character development or what makes a good character in general, let alone what a Mary Sue is (and how looked down upon it used to be).

But for those excusing it because "It's a videogame"...why are you acting like compelling story and character aren't a part of videogames? Why do videogames not qualify for good writing? A Mary Sue is the laziest, sleaziest, incel (or feministic) driven creation in the world of fiction. It's just amazing how many of you are acting ignorant and jumping to mockery...

Tschumi

I just pause a moment and think of the amount of people who have been inspired by a few hand picked freeze frames of a slightly aged Aloy facial capture and extrapolated them to the extent that they need to make NeoGAF posts about them, or related things. I just, I'm not perfect but i just can't imagine what a waste of daily brainpower it must be to go through life thinking something like the Non-hentai model in returnal or aloy's jowls are a personal assault on you.

I know, the op is talking about something else, but it doesn't take much of a mental leap to notice that he's garnished his pretty pointless narrative about an entire franchise with a few extremely recent, very familiar hand picked freeze frames.

If Aloy is flawed for being whatever kind of character, what the hell is Master Chief?

Last edited:

tassletine

I had finished the game in a long time! But from what I recal.
She’s an outcast, as a kid, not knowing why everyone sees her as different, of course she will have anger issues! She trained because Nora kids do a trial of endurance, she trains even harder to because it’s the only way to be accepted so that all hard work pays off on her physical skills.

she travels to other parts and is nice to people because she knows what is like to feel like an outsider and most of the people she encounters do not treat her like her own tribe did! She’s curious about everything!

the story is a metaphor of being excluded from a group because you’re different and not letting your anger and hate dominate you… because you’ll turn into that same group you hate…

looks like all this was missed by a lot of gamers….
That was exactly why I didn't like it. Contrived as hell.

It's like a Zelda game if it took it's self seriously and it's this tone that makes the character work seem contrived. If the game had more of a sense of humour about it's self then it could work but you can't just take a Pixar movie plot and slap realism onto it.

She's the one who sees herself as different so has anger issues, but unlike real life, she's compassionate and approaches everyone else in the game like a Mary Sue would.
It's the usual videogame bullshit of wanting to have your cake and eat it -- She's oppressed and brooding but also curious and even handed and an excellent warrior etc etc. yawn focus groups yawn.

There is nothing wrong with "mary sue" type characters if its done well, for example:

Nausicaä is also very "mary sue" both in the movie and manga but unlike Alloy, Nausicaä is faaar from being dry character.
Nausica%C3%A4_2_cropped.png
Exactly. Some nuance and good writing has to be present to sell a Mary Sue. In HZD, things seem off also because men are either grunts to be killed, betas or if they have character, they are evil. If it were balanced a bit more, maybe Aloy found a love interest or some other partner, it would have flown much better imo.

Last edited:
Exactly. Some nuance and good writing has to be present to sell a Mary Sue. In HZD, things seem off also because men are either grunts to be killed, betas or if they have character, they are evil. If it were balanced a bit more, maybe Aloy found a love interest or some other partner, it would have flown much better imo.
Yup. Far worse than Aloy being a Mary Sue, is the treatment of male characters in HZD. This is another really awful modern woke trope - in order to make your chosen woman/minority look good - you have to make men/white men look bad.

People will point to Rost as a strong male character but if you cut him out of the game - which the game itself does very early on - you're left with just a bunch of weak, evil or subservient men for the entire game.

hyperbertha

1. If that is the case Sylens would not have repeatedly checked her on her whining and complaining. Again she's not perfect and nowhere was that implied.

2. Apparently not Teb, as well as others like Karst people who run shops things like that.

3. No it doesn't. It's called the high road. Remember the scene where Sylens said Elizabet was better than those around her. This is Aloy doing the same, not be bitter by being shunned but doing her part to help in spite of it. A line literally said later with "Aloy despite the Nora" It's what any of us would have to do to function in this society. Rise above it all and be productive.

4. When she told him she would like to show him some of the things she saw. She doesn't make the same offer to anyone else.

5. Are you really comparing the writing from a video game to George RR Martin? I'd bet dollars to donuts that the first thing Guerilla said and coming up with the game is, you know what would be cool if we made a game about robot dinosaurs, not whether or not the main protagonist is a perfect unstoppable badass.
Checking and whining? From what I saw she gets as many potshots at him as he on her. The point is her character 'flaw' doesn't have a role in the story.

2. I don't understand your phrasing.

3. While i definitely get the high road message and think its one of the messages in the story, it comes too easily to her. She doesn't struggle with it at all, whereas in a well written story
taking the high road should be the main point of exploration in a story like this. It was a tremendous oppourtunity for character development and they just brushed it to the sidelines in this game and she deals with the challenge perfectly with no effort.

4. I can't say I would interpret that as hitting on him. She demonstrates no other instances of liking him more than other characters.

5. Are you implying no game stories had good writing ever? That is wrong on so many levels. Look at red dead redemption 2. Look at half dozen final fantasy games. Look at RPGs like baldur's gate and planescape. Its possible to be a badass character that has to deal with extreme threats and still have to go through character development and be like a normal person.
a Mary Sue or a Chuck Norris annoy me, but Aloy isn't one. she has been trained since childhood and here intelligence is actually part of the story. as in all fantastic fiction you need to go along a bit. although sometimes writers make the suspension of disbelief difficult like with The Last of Us2 and the new Star Wars trilogy.
Everybody in this world trains since childhood from what I understand in the story. Its what it means to be a Nora Brave. Intelligence being part of the story is mary suish, but this can be offset by other deficiencies, or by challenging her intelligence in meaningful ways, and the game fails at both imo.
Or in other words she is a typical player hero character.
- main interest off story
- main interest of NPCs be they friend or foe
- morally good
- easily relatable
That's the thing she wasn't relatable for me.
It's turning into pure shit. That's what's happening. I've literally never heard of a male character in ANY medium considered a "Mary Sue" or the male equivalent in my life. These type of questions are sexist in nature and purely made to either get strong women characters out of the gaming and movies or to convince nerds and virgin men that women are stealing all of our "awesome" strong male characters.
Grats on the most out of touch, delusional post in the thread. You are too far gone you'd need a year of therapy to get you back in touch with reality. Not even gonna bother. There are much better examples of strong women characters. Aloy isn't one imo. That you even perceived my post as an attack on feminism shows how profoundly insecure you are politically.

Forget it OP, these guys don't understand character development or what makes a good character in general, let alone what a Mary Sue is (and how looked down upon it used to be).

But for those excusing it because "It's a videogame"...why are you acting like compelling story and character aren't a part of videogames? Why do videogames not qualify for good writing? A Mary Sue is the laziest, sleaziest, incel (or feministic) driven creation in the world of fiction. It's just amazing how many of you are acting ignorant and jumping to mockery...
At the time of this post poll results show more than half of gaf agreeing with me. A majority of the disagreeing voters simply disagree with me and probably gave my argument a fair shake if the disagreeing posts here are any indication.

As for the ones saying 'its only a game' they just need to get their standards upgraded/play better games with better writing to understand my point of view. I recommend Japanese games these days, as the west is dropping the ball hard imo. Red dead redemption 2 will probably be the last game of its kind in a long time. More casual level of gamers have a place in Gaf too I guess, and their opinions will be present here but can be ignored as long as resident community of gamers voice their opinions as well.

If anything this thread proves Gaf is still a high quality community, perhaps the only one on the internet of its kind, and is worth discussing things and sharing your views with. The ones whining about perceived attacks on feminism and 'strong women' are very much an extreme minority here, and will continue to be, as long as we don't take too many reeejects back.

Voted yes to annoy the white knights who think videogame characters are the same as real people and want to control the conversation by calling others incels.

In reality the "Mary Sue" criticism doesn't work well for videogames. If the player is good at the game then really the character becomes a Mary Sue by default.

If I picked up Sekiro again now then Wolf is a Mary Sue for sure as I am going to easily blast my way through to almost the end of the game quite easily.

I don't think the "Mary Sue" argument works for games unless, for some bizarre reason, you want to focus in on ONLY the story and forget the gameplay.

Aloy would be a Mary Sue if the player is really good at the game. I'm pretty sure deaths were rare for me across the whole game and it was kinda easy. So across other games where I hardly saw a game over screen the protagonists would be a Mary Sue also. Assassins Creed, RDR2, TLOU2, Shadow of War/Mordor.

The guy in Hitman must surely be a Mary Sue?

Top Bottom