• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this email promoting cinco de mayo specials offensive?

Amon37

I received this email from a popular sushi place

Title: Robert, no JUAN parties like RA!

Body:

yMceqXt.jpg

There is more than one reason to celebrate Cinco de Mayo in the RA! Tacos, margaritas, and ice cold beer... only you can decide.

Get ready, grab your sombreros and let's fiesta like there's no mañana

I received a follow up email:

This morning you received our email promoting our Cinco de Mayo specials. After the email was sent, we realized we used poor judgement in some of the language that was used in the email. We are very sorry for our lack of sensitivity and assure you that we will be much more attentive in the future. Thank you.

I asked my mexican co worker if he was offended by any of it and he wasn't but obviously he doesn't speak for an entire race.For the record I didn't find it offensive either.

I really think that using stereotypes for thematic parties or costumes is not offensive at all...

I'm Mexican, I live in Mexico and I find this funny, that's all

styl3s

This seems like something you would have to go out of your way to be offended about unless you are overly sensitive to shitty puns.

Fury451

Banned
the mustache is a bit much.

Sorta, but the way they have it with the minimal aesthetic is fine imo . The Juan pun in the text itself for the email is pretty dad joke level or below, but personally it doesn't strike me as offensive so much as corny

-Eddman-

I'm a mexican living in Mexico and hard shell tacos are not only offensive, those aberrations are a crime against humanity.

Everything else is fine. Kirin Beer is good.

Full Mexican.

Maybe the mustache? I don't fucking know.

The hard shell taco IS offensive but I doubt that's what they were thinking about :p

something something PC culture

Nah. Tacky as hell, but not offensive.

I asked my mexican co worker if he was offended by any of it and he wasn't but obviously he doesn't speak for an entire race.For the record I didn't find it offensive either.

Please don't do this again in the future. It's really uncomfortable to put someone on the spot like that.

I find Cinco de Mayo to be increasingly dumb and pointless. The whole affair is pretty offensive in the same way that St. Patrick's day is.

Hey, hard shells are ok, sometimes...

It's like self-contained nachos.

But yeah soft are always superior if, and only if, whoever is cooking them toasts the tortilla correctly.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Hey, hard shells are ok, sometimes...

It's like self-contained nachos.

But yeah soft are always superior if, and only if, whoever is cooking them toasts the tortilla correctly.

You can use toasted or fried tortillas (tostadas, fried tacos, etc) in tasty ways.

The typical brittle thin horrible hard taco shell used in American Border food is garbage. If it was never a tortilla, it should not be used in a taco. It's like a fucking corn chip. That's a mediocre snack. Not food.

Top Bottom