• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this email promoting cinco de mayo specials offensive?

Amon37

It's 12 dollars for tacos and a margarita and 10 dollars for tacos and a beer not just the tacos. Still too expensive though.

Meatfist

It's corny AF, but I wouldn't call it offensive.

What a confusing shitshow of an ad, though. Are they 12 dollar tacos? Is a taco and margarita 12 dollars? Is it multiple tacos and a drink, as depicted by the picture? Why the fuck is a sushi joint serving tacos?

So many questions

Gutek

Not Mexican, so can't speak to the mustache and sombrero. But fuck hard taco shells, that offends me as an eater of things.

I find Cinco De Mayo to be a weird thing to celebrate especially outside of Mexico.

Let's see. It's the commemoration of the victory of the Mexican army over the French army in 1862. The next year the French took over Mexico City and installed an emperor who was executed 3 years later.

It's possible that the 1862 victory prevented the French from helping the Confederates. I doubt that's what the American are celebrating.

So why go all Mexican in May and ignore the Cry of Dolores in September?

As someone who is half Mexican, I don't care. I like our stereotypes: good food, hard workers, and sexy staches. I am none of these things.

I'm full Mexican and everything I see here is offensive, especially the hard shell tacos.

DAqMlqc.gif

I find Cinco de Mayo to be increasingly dumb and pointless. The whole affair is pretty offensive in the same way that St. Patrick's day is.

Which is that it's more annoying than offensive to those of that ethnicity/ancestry?

Because holy shit is it ever when you have a gratuitously Irish name.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Hey, hard shells are ok, sometimes...

It's like self-contained nachos.

But yeah soft are always superior if, and only if, whoever is cooking them toasts the tortilla correctly.

Hard shell tacos are not ok or authentic. If you want you can fry some corn tortillas if you want that crispy texture.

Raptor

Im full mexican with ancestors back as back as moctezuma and got conquered by Cortez and nothing in that is offensive.

I find Cinco De Mayo to be a weird thing to celebrate especially outside of Mexico.

Let's see. It's the commemoration of the victory of the Mexican army over the French army in 1862. The next year the French took over Mexico City and installed an emperor who was executed 3 years later.

It's possible that the 1862 victory prevented the French from helping the Confederates. I doubt that's what the American are celebrating.

So why go all Mexican in May and ignore the Cry of Dolores in September?

The Cinco de Mayo celebrations in the US have taken a completely different form of their own. It's more of a generic Mexican Heritage Day among Americans of Mexican descent, for gringos it's an excuse to get loaded (see also: St. Patrick's Day).

Hilarity ensues when full-grown adults get surprised it's not the day of independence in Mexico, even though people point that out every single year that it's practically a meme at this point.

Maybe "no Juan" is a tiny bit offensive but it's really not bad at all. Oh and hard shell tacos, fuck that.

I feel that people tend to conflate "offensive" with "embarrassingly stupid" at times. As an occasional Juan (at least when I'm speaking with people in Spanish, a practice that as a New Yorker I've let fall wayyyy too out of use), I would probably fit that joke more in column B.

I feel that people tend to conflate "offensive" with "embarrassingly stupid" at times. As an occasional Juan (at least when I'm speaking with people in Spanish, a practice that as a New Yorker I've let fall wayyyy too out of use), I would probably fit that joke more in column B.
Hard to disagree with you. It's a stretch.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Is it a hate crime? No, no it's not.

Is it a cheesy stereotype being employed to sell garbage? Yes, yes it is.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Someone somewhere will find some reason to be offended by it and act like they have some human right to go about there day and never get offended by anything.

Or, someone who shouldn't be offended by it will get offended by it on behalf of those who they think should be offended by it.

Top Bottom