• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do we celebrate cinco de mayo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, you know, we do get that day off by law, and there might not be a "official way" to celebrate 5 de mayo, but at least in the north, where i live, any day off is a good excuse to get drunk with your buddies.
You get the day off? You fucker I don't get I day of :( ( maybe because I don't live in the north)

I actually saw that same commercial (was during the Pacers-Cavs game) and was thinking the exact same thing.

That said, it's just like St. Patrick's Day in the US: just another day to justify getting piss drunk.

Cocaloch

I actually saw that same commercial (was during the Pacers-Cavs game) and was thinking the exact same thing.

That said, it's just like St. Patrick's Day in the US: just another day to justify getting piss drunk.

The history of St. Patrick's day is much more complicated, and actually heavily driven by the Irish themselves. I don't think that's true for Cinco at all.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I mean, thanks :) But we Mexicans don't celebrate it, lol, our actual independence day is September 16th. Not that I think celebrating Cinco de Mayo is wrong or anything.

I don't care though. ;-)

What I care about is food, music and booze. As long as it's not offensive, I want to continue to enjoy 'em. I have a huge table booked at a fantastic Mexican restaurant for this fifth. Because I freakin' love it.

Christmas doesn't even make much sense when you do a deep dive into the history. Thanksgiving is super DARK when examined. But nobody's better get between me and my presents and my turkey.

Krakatoa

For some reason Americans need a reason to drink. The rest of the world just gets shit faced when they feel like it.

ReAxion

there's a creepy vein in your issue that white people can't be associated with a holiday whose name is spanish.

involuntarily the corporations forced it on the public for the money - there was too big of a lull between st. pattys and memorial day

voluntarily - people love to party, drink, and eat mexican/AmeriMex food

The answer to most "why do we celebrate ______" questions is because some company wanted you to spend lucrative amounts of money on their shit and realized that a great way to do it was to either commandeer an existing holiday or make up their own.

Don't know how it is in other places either, but in Canada, we like to just make up fake holidays to give ourselves a paid day off. That's why we have "Family Day" and "Civic Holiday," where we couldn't even be bothered to come up with cool names for them. We just wanted to go fishing, man.

McBryBry

White people gonna White people ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Ding ding ding. Girlfriend was upset when I told her my best friend's wedding was on May 5th, meaning she couldn't go get white girl wasted until afterwards. I love her to death but sometimes she's so incredibly white.

Yeah I never understood why if they were going to appropriate a Mexican day why not September 16 (Independence Day and our biggest holiday)? It's a better choice already and doesnt clash with any other celebration in the US!

Cinco de Mayo is so pathetic we even go to work on that day! It's so small it isnt even an official work holiday!

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
its what we mexicans call, "white peopling day". have fun gringos...

I see it as another St. Pattys day.

I have no problem with people drinking, eating, being jolly on May 5th. But I do have a problem with people wearing stereotypical Mexican outfits while yelling things like "arrrrrriba!"

just cut that out, dress like you always do and get drunk

In 1862, at the time the Battle of Puebla took place, the United States was engaged in its Civil War. The French presence in Mexico was a strategic move: by gaining a toehold in Mexico, the French could then support the Confederate Army. The defeat of the French at the Battle of Puebla was not definitive, but it helped to stave off the French while the U.S. Union forces made advances. Thus Cinco de Mayo can be seen as a turning point in the U.S. Civil War. Cinco de Mayo was first celebrated in the United States in Southern California in 1863 as a show of solidarity with Mexico against French rule.

If this is true then consider my mind blown!

Still: Sept 16 > May 5

norm9

Maybe because I live in Los Angeles, but I've never seen the mean spirited appropriation and fake love of Mexicans that some in here are talking about. The love for Mexico is real in SoCal, carnal.

Maybe because I live in Los Angeles, but I've never seen the mean spirited appropriation and fake love of Mexicans that some in here are talking about. The love for Mexico is real in SoCal, carnal.

Well of course! Did you know that Los Angeles is second only to Mexico City as the city with the largest Mexican population? Also California is one of the more inclusive and progressive states in the US. I'd like to see if that love was equally seen in, say, Mississippi.

Mossybrew

No doubt, as a San Diego native I can agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom