• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this email promoting cinco de mayo specials offensive?

PSqueak

Banned
Mexican here, making puns is in our blood.

What is definitely offensive tho is those prices.

Are hard tacos not authentically Mexican / South American?

Thank god!

Yes they are, but not like those pictured, the "hard shell" tacos we have over here are actually fried, they're called "Tacos Dorados" (literally "friend tacos") or "Flautas" (flutes) depending how they are rolled.

However if you ask for a plain old taco, it would be absurd to get served anything in a hard shell

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Hard shell Taco shells are just Tostadas that defy the laws of physics.

fookin' stop it

Mexican here, making puns is in our blood.

What is definitely offensive tho is those prices.

Yes they are, but not like those pictured, the "hard shell" tacos we have over here are actually fried, they're called "Tacos Dorados" (literally "friend tacos") or "Flautas" (flutes) depending how they are rolled.

However if you ask for a plain old taco, it would be absurd to get served anything in a hard shell

Wat
Dorado doesnt mean friend. It means gold. Its literally golden tacos.

As a Mexican I take offense.

inky

Guys a hispanic person from the country of Mexico came up to me this morning and said "Buenos dias", should i report him for racism?

....what?

It's just a typo. He means "fried" tacos. Basically this:

Tostadas-para-fiestas-y-eventos-toztadizas-flautas-y-quesadillas_3.jpg

is the variety of "hard shell" tacos in Mexico known as "flautas" (flutes). They are done by filling, then rolling the common, soft corn tortilla, then frying it until hard and adding a variety of toppings, like salsa and vegetables. Those are different from the "U" shape shells that Americans use for their tacos, which are very likely created through a different process (and are also a travesty ;P).

Creo que el precio es ofensivo. ¿¿¿12 dólares para eso??? ¿Quien pagaría tanto para unos tacos?

Pero soy Peruano. Entonces realmente no conozco mucho de la cultura Mexicana para dar mi opinión.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
About as much as St. Patrick's day is.

I know there's a lot of Irish that just shake their heads at how we go about it.

New girl at my work asked me 1. "Are you Spanish?" (I told her I was Mexican) and 2. "Are you celebrating Cinco de Mayo?" Like it was Christmas. I had a hard time telling her I never really cared. Same with the Day of the Dead, and I was born in Mexico. Neither was really celeberated with my family my mom would just say the real deal was in September.

Should I... should I be offended?

Madness

Showed it to my friend who is Mexican on whatsapp, said he didn't think was racist but just dumb and called out the lack of authentic food. 'At least show real Mexican food if you trying this kind of shit'.

Top Bottom