• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ITT: We post screens that showcase the visual charisma lost by modern Simpsons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barrow Roll said:
http://i.imgur.com/hsFpY.gif

Such a great piece of evidence that.

Even with the animation in the newer series being pedestrian and mechanic, its nothing compared to the decay in writing quality. I've had migraines funnier than any Simpsons episode in the last decade.

rekameohs said:
Wow. I actually really like the new opening sequence
YA3QQ.gif

Jasoco

Banned
I miss when Maggie was innocent and didn't have any kind of motives. Now she's like a baby-sized person. Fucking hell.

Shaneus

Jasoco said:
I miss when Maggie was innocent and didn't have any kind of motives. Now she's like a baby-sized person. Fucking hell.
Wow, that's an amazing point. I'd never really picked up on it but you're spot on.

Bravo.

hemtae

Jasoco said:

Homer: The sooner kids talk, the sooner they talk back. I hope you never say a word.
Maggie: Dad-dy

dawwwwww

-_-

Banned
the-simpsons-news-headlines.jpg

springfieldhospital.jpg

gummibears.jpg

It is says "Jolly Gummybears, they hibernate in your colon"
tumblr_li37widX1x1qb9o4go1_500.png

psychiarticcenter.jpg

historicalsociety.jpg

I miss the Simpsons that had clever sign gags ):

Jasoco

Banned
Shaneus said:
Wow, that's an amazing point. I'd never really picked up on it but you're spot on.

Bravo.
It's terrible. She's supposed to be a 1-year-old child. But it's like every time you turn around she's doing something she never would have done in the first 10 seasons. It makes me cringe every time they make her do some gag.

Shaneus

Oh, I know. I was just saying that it's another less-obvious sign of how shit it now is, rather than just saying "Homer's stupid" etc.

Jasoco

Banned
Shaneus said:
Oh, I know. I was just saying that it's another less-obvious sign of how shit it now is, rather than just saying "Homer's stupid" etc.
I was agreeing with you. And Homer is stupid...er. The heart is gone. And will never be back.

You sure about that? I mean, I haven't seen recent episodes, but the writers have always used Maggie in different ways, going from a non-personality baby that Marge always carries, to a non-talking genius.

Just think about her elaborate escape from the baby daycare. I think that's the biggest storyline ever given to her, and it's where she's the most like an actual (adult) character. And that is season 4.

It's not what the writers do with the characters and storylines, it's how they do it where they're completely messing up. The early Simpsons had absurd premises, weaker storylines, unusual developments, ... as well, but they were always done in a way that it's still pure gold.

Jasoco said:
I was agreeing with you. And Homer is stupid...er. The heart is gone. And will never be back.
"I think Homer gets stupider every year."
That's not a question, Professor, but we'll let the viewers judge for themselves.

I wish I had a screen of this. :(

I'm loving this thread so far, and I know that this discussion is about the television show, but seeing the new opening comparison made me wonder:

Did you guys like the Simpsons Movie?

I found it surprisingly hilarious. I expected to see a rise in the show's quality after it released, but of course I was disappointed.

hemtae

Hitmonchan107 said:
I'm loving this thread so far, and I know that this discussion is about the television show, but seeing the new opening comparison made me wonder:

I found it surprisingly hilarious. I expected to see a rise in the show's quality after it released, but of course I was disappointed.

I found it like some of the good new simpsons episode. Although I still think McBain should have been the president.

The simple fact there was any kind of emotion to the storyline in Simpsons Movie (Marge leaving Homer was well done) means it's better than the majority of episodes you get now.

Overall I didn't really care much for the movie either way. It didn't offend me so I guess it was success in that sense.

UberTag

Hitmonchan107 said:

I enjoyed the Simpsons Movie a ton initially... although it hasn't held up well on repeat viewings. Especially the 2nd half.

There have been brief stints of writing quality since the movie's release. The latter section of the first HD run in Season 20 had a string of four consecutive episodes that were quite solid. Sadly this season has been a huge disappointment by comparison.

Brinbe

I think was okay, but could have been a lot better... If anything though, that movie definitely ushered in a better era of quality from where the show was (S18 onward till now)... and I don't really share a lot of the hate for where it is now (new intro included). However, a lot of that criticism is definitely deserved for S13-17ish. So, so bad.

UberTag said:
I enjoyed the Simpsons Movie a ton initially... although it hasn't held up well on repeat viewings. Especially the 2nd half.

There have been brief stints of writing quality since the movie's release. The latter section of the first HD run in Season 20 had a string of four consecutive episodes that were quite solid. Sadly this season has been a huge disappointment by comparison.
Yep, exactly. It doesn't really hold up too well. And I do agree this season has been a bit disappointing and they're falling back onto that generic guest-star/already done plots that have hindered them in the past. Exception being that awesome SABR ep.

Whogie

Simpsons movie was hilarious. I recently stopped watching the new episodes because the bad outweighed the good. Celebrity appearances and culture references took precedence too often, and there was some sort of shift in humor that focuses less on subtlety and prolongs jokes too often.

Example:
Zb9Om.jpg

Marge: Okay. I'm going to put a stop to this Ultimate Punching.
Nelson: You can't stop an entire sport! You need several other mothers, some sympathetic school officials, and clergymen.
Marge: Uh huh.
IlfKS.jpg

Nelson: A place to meet.
Marge: Uh huh!
Nelson: Some snacks.
Marge: What else?
Nelson: A phone tree is invaluable. How you fix (?) for staplers? Those flyers don't fix themselves to phone polls themselves you know.
Marge: Nelson! You really have a knack for this.
Nelson: Well... When I grow up I hope to go into event planning.
Marge: Ahh, maybe someday you can do Lisa's wedding.
7nQN9.jpg

Nelson: Oh! I'd like that!

It breaks character, but worse it goes on and on.

I saw very little of that in the movie, though. Instead I saw more subtlety like the polar bear kicking the dog in frustration. The overall plot was a little annoying (marriage problems again!,) but the humor made up for it.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Barrow Roll said:
Yesterday a few of my friends asked me to explain to them exactly why I find new Simpsons animation so lifeless since they don't have cable and don't watch it. After struggling to find the words for a while, I found this.

hsFpY.gif

They were immediately convinced. But then I later found out that the original opening wasn't done by the main animators anyways but they don't need to know that. >.>
the arms that put the bag in the trolley in the newer version are black. why even change a detail like that? new animators are racist, confirmed. :p

Jasoco

Banned
Souldriver said:
You sure about that? I mean, I haven't seen recent episodes, but the writers have always used Maggie in different ways, going from a non-personality baby that Marge always carries, to a non-talking genius.

Just think about her elaborate escape from the baby daycare. I think that's the biggest storyline ever given to her, and it's where she's the most like an actual (adult) character. And that is season 4.

It's not what the writers do with the characters and storylines, it's how they do it where they're completely messing up. The early Simpsons had absurd premises, weaker storylines, unusual developments, ... as well, but they were always done in a way that it's still pure gold.
Four words. Maggie as Britney Spears.

The escape from daycare was great and she never broke character. It was a great parody and satire. Great episode.

But having her look slutty and dance like Britney was just terrible. Maggie sucks now. Su-diddly-ucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRtrouz4wxM

Poyunch

I hated the Simpsons movie. Homer was so repulsive in that movie it bothered me so much. Homer may be a bit insensitive now but he's usually oblivious to this but in the movie he knows he's being an ass. A really big ass. :[

Aaron

Homer goes too far in the Simpson's Movie, which is pretty odd considering in the commentary they said he went further in the original, but had to cut it down because of the hate he got in test screenings. They really didn't cut it down enough. His self-centeredness borders on sociopathic.

Barrow Roll said:
Yesterday a few of my friends asked me to explain to them exactly why I find new Simpsons animation so lifeless since they don't have cable and don't watch it. After struggling to find the words for a while, I found this.

hsFpY.gif

They were immediately convinced. But then I later found out that the original opening wasn't done by the main animators anyways but they don't need to know that. >.>
Woa. I didn't even realise it had changed that much.

Jasoco said:
Four words. Maggie as Britney Spears.

The escape from daycare was great and she never broke character. It was a great parody and satire. Great episode.

But having her look slutty and dance like Britney was just terrible. Maggie sucks now. Su-diddly-ucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRtrouz4wxM
I still think it's just the way they handle a joke or character more than anything else.

Look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HMjmdFCb-Y

The idea of Maggie dancing and acting "out of character" is nothing new. It's just that the writers are clueless now to make their ideas work. The music they chose in your clip is shitty. Where did Maggie get those clothes? Why is the animation so horrendous? The buzz bottle is such a shitty reference to Pepsi. And so on.
I'm fully convinced that they could have made a joke about Maggie becoming too much like a sexualized teenager that involves Maggie dancing, if they weren't so goddamn clueless to make it fit in.

And I hate to say this, but next to the writing being total garbage, we're also less receptive towards cultural references. The older Simpsons also made references to popculture that was current back then. They could've referenced "Girls just wanna have fun", or "like a virgin" (which were like 5 year old songs back then) and we looking at it 20 years later wouldn't take issue with it. But because the new Simpsons are being written in our modern life, the cultural references from 5 years ago (Oops I did it again is 10 years old!!) still look far too fresh and obvious and easy in our eyes. We still hate Britney music, but we don't really hate "Girls just wanna have fun" from Cindi Lauper, while we probably would've back in the late 80s / early 90s. We're much more opinionated about the culture references used in modern Simpsons than we are about the ones used in classic Simpsons.

I hope I made myself clear with that last paragraph, because I feel like I didn't explain it all too well. Not that I'm defending the Simpsons in any way. Even if they wanted to make a Britney Spears joke using Maggie, it can't be a shitty one that shits up the Maggie character in the middle of a pile of shit episode.

Edit: lol, I just see Temp posted the same clip.

-_-

Banned
So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show
Gag_del_sof%C3%A1_9F17.png

the_simpsons_april_fools_day.jpg

55528.jpg

homer-wakes-up.jpg

Watched it again because it was my favorite clip show (of any series) and it's April Fools themed episode

Mr. Sam

Aaron said:
Homer goes too far in the Simpson's Movie, which is pretty odd considering in the commentary they said he went further in the original, but had to cut it down because of the hate he got in test screenings. They really didn't cut it down enough. His self-centeredness borders on sociopathic.

The thing that pissed me off the most - well, possibly - was Ranier Wolfcastle suddenly being Schwarzenegger. McBain is a parody of Schwarzenegger. We get it. We've got it for the last two decades. We didn't all suddenly get lobotomies. You don't need to explain the joke. What. The. Fuck.

Mr. Sam said:
The thing that pissed me off the most - well, possibly - was Ranier Wolfcastle suddenly being Schwarzenegger. McBain is a parody of Schwarzenegger. We get it. We've got it for the last two decades. We didn't all suddenly get lobotomies. You don't need to explain the joke. What. The. Fuck.
Yeah, these are the two major things that bothered me in the movie. I just rewatched it monday and otherwise it's pretty good, like 2 decent episodes in a row.

Mr. Sam said:

It even seemed like Albert Brooks phoned it in as Russ Cargill.. I had high hopes he would really sell the movie.

Souldriver said:
I still think it's just the way they handle a joke or character more than anything else.

I know you're post goes into more detail but I'm just throwing this out there. I don't think anything they do now will every be enjoyed by the old fans as much as the old episodes. If that Britney joke came out in the 90s during the high points of the Simpsons it would probably be considered funny. Or at least more than it is now.

Problem is, there's just so many factors that make the new Simpson's worse that it isn't just one thing so pretty much everyone is right (and nostalgia does factor in with The Simpsons). :p

Hitmonchan107 said:

I felt like it wasn't ambitious enough, but like some have said the emotion was well done enough, plus I enjoy the Tom Hanks cameo.

Shaneus

"Why I slip in and out of comas all the... french toast, please."

THAT'S how you do a clip show. The only thing that never sat right with me was the "I wonder what he's thinking now..." bit and then it cuts to him sleep-driving. Why would he be thinking about that while he's asleep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom