• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Mangold goes on the offense against trolls making up BS Indy 5 plots (he’s not being replaced, no one has seen the movie)

ManaByte

Gold Member
When do they usually screen movies for test audiences?
Lucasfilm doesn’t.

But for normal movies it’s usually after a first cut is assembled to determine what’s needed in reshoots.

For Lucasfilm movies no one sees them until about two weeks before it opens. VFX/industry people get to see them first on the Disney lot, then the premiere and media screenings.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I don't believe anyone, be they Marvel, Mangold, a youtuber, a twitterer or a leaked script. I also don't trust people who get into Twitter (or generally online) arguments and back-and-forths.
EKlXDwFVUAAyv_Q.jpg

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Wasnt one of the leaks a month or two ago saying the movie has time travel? And the person said it involves going back to the 50s or 60s to affect a political parade?

I briefly saw the trailer (dont remember much), but there was a scene where it looks like there was a parade down main street of some kind.

Of course that could be the leaker just knowing the trailer and making shit up. But also could mean it's real. Who would ever guess for a plotline time travel and politics for an in Indy movie?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Holy shit, I had to google basement dweller/doomcock and am watching doomcock's channel now. I'm watching his latest video posted today. This guy is awesome in the suit!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
hU4QzJO.png

I love the sheer audacity of this bloke for quoting and telling the director of the fucking movie that he's wrong and something he read on 4chan is right.

:messenger_grinning_smiling:

Fbh

My guess:
No one is "replacing" Indy, they'll just introduce a new character to milk through Disney+.

She's not going to be the the new Indy nor use the hat, they'll give her her own franchise (under a different name) but it will be set in the same universe.

Anyone thinking Dinsey will just bring this back as a one off without plans to further milk the franchise is kidding themselves. That is, of course, assuming this doesn't suck.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Harrison Ford is 80 years old.

So of course he'll get replaced. And no doubt, no movie studio is going to retire the Indy franchise. Too much franchise recognition and money on the table to just bury the franchise for good.

So it really comes down to how they move on from Harrison Ford. Is he killed? Is it a happy ending where he hangs up his hat and retires? Is the female Indy rumour true and he's replaced? We'll have to see.

The best ending for this kind of franchise is for Harrison Ford to help save the day in the movie and then retire in a chill way. But if he is killed off, that'll put a damper on the franchise and character.

jason10mm

Gold Member
There is a 1000% chance that some character from the film, 500% likely to be PWB, closes the film with some part of Indy's "outfit" with the promise of further adventures. Mangold specifically says no one puts on indys hat so I guess it's the whip or jacket.

I think Mangold will eventually narrow his statement to say he meant no actor is literally replacing Harrison Ford withIN the film and is then called "Indiana Jones".

Wouldn't surprise me at all if this is an editor, effects guy, or something like that leaking info and the "test screening" is just camoflague for the source.

That Mangold is even engaging in this tells me it's likely very close to the truth and they can't just cut a trailer to counter the rumor.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
There is a 1000% chance that some character from the film, 500% likely to be PWB, closes the film with some part of Indy's "outfit" with the promise of further adventures. Mangold specifically says no one puts on indys hat so I guess it's the whip or jacket.
If that's how it goes it makes perfect sense. A movie franchise isn't going to make a female cast member running around and swinging from ropes with any kind of hat on.

ParaSeoul

I thought this was an overreaction but there are genuinely people who got to 4chan(nel),read whatever bs shitpost bait someone thought up of and take it as cold hard fact.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
As I said in the other thread (did it need a new one?) nobody believes a twat in a stupid plastic mask, but equally, it’s fine to be very skeptical about any project that Kathleen Kennedy is attached to, given her track record.

Movie maker who made a movie defends his own movie, more news at 11.
Ford is an octogenarian, of course Disney wants to make sure that the franchise lives on.

I guess PWB won't 'replace' Indy, but she'll take up the mantle one way or another. So 'technically' Mangold isn't wrong, but it will still be a farewell story about Indy passing on the torch, no matter how you slice it. This is just damage control to get people into the seats on the all-important first opening week-end.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

So recap:
  1. They haven’t screened the movie for anyone so anyone on 4chan or YouTube who claims their BS plot comes from a test screening is lying.
  2. All of the stuff out there about Indy being replaced by a woman is bullshit.
3. Director has nothing else to do than argue on Twitter- movie will be smashing quality .

Last edited:

Salz01

I think I trust the director. I feel better about this. Thanks for posting. Just hope they have time to clean up some of that cgi.
Starting to get excited again.

If what he says can be taken at face value, then that's pleasing news.

1458140248-crystal-skull.gif

However some of you are confused. The following two things are not causally connected (one does not automatically lead to another):
1. James Mangold busting down misinformation (which is good) about the plot/screenings
2. The movie will be great

It can have absolutely nothing to do with whatever that darth helmet YT guy said (which I didn't watch), and still not be a great Indy film. I sure hope it will be, but there is no guarantee. Haven't any of you learned anything from all the hype and disappointment cycles of the past?

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
God, how shitty it is to be a creative today. You get shat upon from studio execs asking for "the message" or stupid ideas, while at the same time getting shit thrown at your face from fans and anonymous internet accounts. Prob one of the reasons creative is so shit today, and why Andor succeeded (no one cared enough beforehand to have had any expectations).

I hope it's a good movie. I like the adventure mystic genre. Not a lot of these today. I didn't hate Crystal Skull so much tbh, kinda like Black Adam, it's silly entertainment and I'm fine with it as long as I'm watching at home. It wasn't an atrocity like The Last Jedi.

Ammogeddon

Well he’s half right, some YouTubers purely exist to create outrage content.

You just have to look at Andor for that. Even when it turned out to be good they continued to spin it that it was a failure. They never post anything positive because it doesn’t get them clicks. They sometimes have a good point but their obsessive hate boners undermines them.

On the other hand there are many good YouTubers out there who constructively criticise the current state of movies and give praise where it’s due. I do feel it’s generally a good thing they exist as you’re not going to get an honest opinion from the mainstream outlets. They are pretty much all access shills these days.

Last edited:

Billbofet

Well he’s half right, some YouTubers purely exist to create outrage content.

You just have to look at Andor for that. Even when it turned out to be good they continued to spin it that it was a failure. They never post anything positive because it doesn’t get them clicks. They sometimes have a good point but their obsessive hate boners undermines them.

On the other hand there are many good YouTubers out there who constructively criticise the current state of movies and give praise where it’s due. I do feel it’s generally a good thing they exist as you’re not going to get an honest opinion from the mainstream outlets. They are pretty much all access shills these days.
Agree. I really find that Jeremy Jahns and Dan Murrell are the only critics I can consistently trust to give honest, hate-boner-free, access-shill-free reviews.

I still occasionally listen to the Slashfilm podcast, but Devindra ALWAYS brings everything around to being political and as his personal crusade for social justice. That's all fine and dandy if and when it applies, but the last few years have broken his brain. He's circled back upon himself and become his own parody. Still can count on Dave and Jeff though!

jason10mm

Gold Member
God, how shitty it is to be a creative today. You get shat upon from studio execs asking for "the message" or stupid ideas, while at the same time getting shit thrown at your face from fans and anonymous internet accounts. Prob one of the reasons creative is so shit today, and why Andor succeeded (no one cared enough beforehand to have had any expectations).
This is very true, but it's also indicative of how poorly LucasArts has managed the expectations of Indy. We all know Harrison is old and can't do any more (at least not as the actual adventurer) so they could have said "This is the last ever Indy film and we will never do another" (which we all know is b$), or "after this Harrison will retire from the role and we will reboot it" OR "we will use this film to set up the next phase of the World of Indiana Jones". This IP needs central managment if they want to head off speculation.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
This is very true, but it's also indicative of how poorly LucasArts has managed the expectations of Indy. We all know Harrison is old and can't do any more (at least not as the actual adventurer) so they could have said "This is the last ever Indy film and we will never do another" (which we all know is b$), or "after this Harrison will retire from the role and we will reboot it" OR "we will use this film to set up the next phase of the World of Indiana Jones". This IP needs central managment if they want to head off speculation.
They could've just rebooted it and have him cameo. If it was good no one would care, it's still one of the last remnants of the Disney "message" era which I think they understand should be done, so I think we could see the next one starting from scratch.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
If Disney had any sense, they'd capitalise on Uncharted's failure to actually give us a proper Nathan Drake depiction, and give us an Indiana Jones set in the present day, starring his grandkid. Uncharted did well despite fucking Nate up completely with that little boy, so the audience is there for a Jones reboot, I think.

Sounds like damage control.
You can interpret "not being replaced" in a lot of ways.
Maybe it just means, no one goes back in time, kills the original Indy, and assumes his identity.
But it doesn't preclude that someone is going to assume the mantle of the "next Indy".
Just stop

kunonabi

While I don't trust doom guy or whatever it's not like Mangold couldn't be pulling a Kevin Smith.

That said, the rumors are too awful for me to believe to be true.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I love when games or movies have this back and forth bickering about leaks and who is lying.

Of course the content maker is going to deny as much as possible (whether it's true or not) for sake of protecting spoiling the end product. And the the leakers will keep on chugging promoting leaked content (might be true or not too) for clicks, laughs and them acting like the world's saviour for information.

Either way, you got two sides in an ego boosting and self serving binge of click, follower, and revenue hoarding while the rest of us can sit back and laugh.

I'm glad the tweets brought up Doomcock because his videos are hilarious. I would had never known who he is other wise. His schitick is funny to begin with, but when he breaks character a bit a talks like a normal guy making jokes ("pink haired nose ringers") instead of his high brow comedy way of presenting it's even funnier.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
According to the Wikipedia article on this movie.

"In 2022, Kennedy reaffirmed earlier comments that Ford's role as Indiana Jones would not be recast, while Ford confirmed that the fifth film would be his last in the series. As of November 2022, Disney was considering multiple options to continue the franchise, including additional films or television series."

If that's true, then you know they're going to continue without Harrison Ford which means somebody is going to take his job over. They may not replace him but the torch will be passed to someone.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I'm glad the tweets brought up Doomcock because his videos are hilarious. I would had never known who he is other wise. His schitick is funny to begin with, but when he breaks character a bit a talks like a normal guy making jokes ("pink haired nose ringers") instead of his high brow comedy way of presenting it's even funnier.
You’ve gone full Kanye. Never go full Kanye.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Not to mention that the role of Indiana Jones HAS been recast, not one, not twice, but THREE TIMES. This ain't some sort of Hollywood sacred cow.

c9tODVX.jpg
HhYaaTv.jpg

I see no reason why they are so coy about continuing Indys adventures UNLESS it is with a different character altogether.

Top Bottom