• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January 2014 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes February 10th

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have the same -- 145k. Unless NPD has retroactively adjusted the sales, that should be it.

And ~290k for the PS4.

XBO is bad and PS4 is mediocre (but there's still the stock situation).

Xbox one is bad, but PS4 is smart stock management by Sony. They clearly wanted to beat Xbox in the US, but at the same time not diverting so much stock that they can't prepare for the Japan launch and also restock Europe a bit. So I would expect them to have estimated stock needs based on Xbox estimated sales.

If the demand keeps up, then that also means Sony can keep manufacturing output high as more markets come on stream. I guess if there is one positive for MS - maybe they can launch in tier 2 markets quicker than expected.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The times of a console selling well over 400k, even if in severe, deep shortages, seem to have passed. Still, good PS4 number, and oh God at One.

jelly

I kinda like how consumers haven't just bent over for Microsoft. A good message to send.

The free media remote while stocks last and what games didn't sell well bundles are on the way!

So if this is correct for the PS4, then they have overtaken the 5 million mark WW sales right? I think this would push it over.

And Sony still has 400-500K ( or more ) consoles to sell in Japan. Something tells me the PS4 is going to be well received in Japan, so I could see them pushing as many consoles as they can produce over there and still keep up a 70K a week shipment to the US.

I'm glad that I decreased my prediction 50K to 206K.

Looks like famousmortimer was right about Xbox One selling way below internal expectations in January.

Kysen

So it seems the hardcore picked up their consoles and now all that is left is the mid - casual gamer that still balks at the price tag. MS needs a price cut and fast.

The times of a console selling well over 400k, even if in severe, deep shortages, seem to have passed. Still, good PS4 number, and oh God at One.
If you're comparing to the Wii (?) think Sony moved some of their January allotment to meet demand in December. Being heavily supply constrained and moving 290K, having moved nearly 2M in the first Xmas still stands up well historically I think. So I think you're calling the console industry's time too early. Not that I think the PS4 is anywhere near a Wii like phenom.

ironcreed

Banned
I kinda like how consumers haven't just bent over for Microsoft. A good message to send.

The free media remote while stocks last and what games didn't sell well bundles are on the way!

It's like with Sony and the $600 debacle with the PS3. People respond when something is priced too high. Microsoft's turn to be served some humble pie.

ps3ud0

This tickles me more than it should...

5jjmxGb.png

ps3ud0 8)

It's been more demand-constrained for a while, as evident by the low January sales post-launch.

I was just wondering if it was in-stock through most of January. I thought it was, but I hadn't really looked.

Doesn't look good for Microsoft if they put up this number without shortages (though releasing a product very similar to another at $100 more will generally lead to poor results).

cebri.one

So, let's say these are the figures:

- PS4 - 290k
- Xbox One - 145k
- Wii U - 40k (complete guess but probably close)

That gives a total of 475k.

In January 2007, where we had the exact same situation of a console that had been out for over a year, and two that were just released the year prior, 947k consoles were sold.

That's not good.

Completly different situations, PS3 and Wii had very low stock, so a lot of buyers had to wait after Christmas to get their console. This time both Sony and MS have shipped around 5 million consoles in about 2 months, which is fucking crazy.

EL CUCO

Gabe: "Soo how much do you want for the Xbox division?"

Satya: "15 billion but take all take these Kinects with you."

Gabe: *hangs up*

CCIE

Banned
I guessed the PS4 would double up the XB1 and took grief for it. Even better, it will soon double the One up worldwide, and I am on track to win that bet for money!!

legend166

Can anyone find the January 2006 number for the 360? I know it was supply constrained but it would be an interest comparison.

I guessed the PS4 would double up the XB1 and took grief for it. Even better, it will soon double the One up worldwide, and I am on track to win that bet for money!!

Soon? For monthy sales I'm pretty sure it already will be doubling The One everywhere it's out.

bigmf

I'm having a hard time with the 145k to 290k numbers. Did Sony only ship 300k to the US in Jan? They shipped a hell of a lot more in December, and everything is sold out. Maybe the airlifting in December shrunk the Jan. numbers? Maybe holding back for Japan?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm having a hard time with the 145k to 290k numbers. Did Sony only ship 300k to the US in Jan? They shipped a hell of a lot more in December, and everything is sold out. Maybe the airlifting in December shrunk the Jan. numbers? Maybe holding back for Japan?

Both of these things, plus possibly moving some stock to other markets.

Top Bottom