• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Charts: Media Create 31 Oct - 6 Nov

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
capslock said:
How is that different from the rest of the world?
That's what I'm trying to figure out. It's like...

Sports Fan #1: Hey did you get Madden 2009 yet?
Sports Fan #2: No I heard it was more of the same, I think I'll skip it this year...
Sports Fan #1: You'll regret it man, the new season line-up is AWESOME!!
Sports Fan #2: Yeah? Okay maybe I'll go pick it up tomorrow...

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Nice numbers for DS' games. 50% of the Top Ten are Nintendo DS games, I hope, system's sales will be great too.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
DS - 48,520
PSP - 29,395
PS2 - 22,030
GBM - 9,349
GBASP - 7,089
GC - 3,290
GBA - 284
Xbox - 167

YTD / LTD
DS - 2,032,796 / 3,528,392
PSP - 1,513,252 / 1,995,504
DS Lead - 519,544 / 1,532,888

In two weeks the DS is going to have another sales explosion with the Pokemon Dungeon game coming out. So look for that. Then they have Animal Crossing coming out the next week I think. So the DS is going to be really high for a long time now.

Beowvlf

Banned
elostyle said:
If the DS didn't exist, that PSP number would actually look very good. Far ahead of the PS2 too.
The PSP pulls in more revenue than the DS every week as it's almost twice the price, so I'm sure Sony is still happy with its performance. The only worry would be a larger DS install base getting key TP support that Sony relies on.

They really just need to throw $20 million Square Enix's way and get them to make a full fledged DQ for the PSP. Japan = owned.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Looks like the Micro is sucking away GBA SP sales... They we're going pretty strong too.

Heian-kyo said:
The PSP pulls in more revenue than the DS every week as it's almost twice the price, so I'm sure Sony is still happy with its performance. The only worry would be a larger DS install base getting key TP support that Sony relies on.

They really just need to throw $20 million Square Enix's way and get them to make a full fledged DQ for the PSP. Japan = owned.

Dont DS software sales rack up additional revenue too?

Syb

Heian-kyo said:

Sony makes a profit on PSP hardware? Woah.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Heian-kyo said:
I wouldn't say owned because the market has clearly expanded but it would certainly ensure a stronger position for the psp.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Heian-kyo said:
. The only worry would be a larger DS install base getting key TP support that Sony relies on.

Problem is that this is exactly what's going on right now.

malek4980

Rosa Parks hater
Heian-kyo said:

If Sony makes more revenue, but loses money on each PSP sold and Nintendo makes less revenue, but makes a lot of profit on each DS sold, who is happier?

Revenue seems like an odd standard. Since profit and or installed base is what they are both after.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Rocket9 said:
Iraq/Iran
Soccer/Football
Revenue/Profit

It's all the same thing....
two of those three groups are completely wrong and not the same. :lol

Beowvlf

Banned
Syb said:
Sony makes a profit on PSP hardware? Woah.
According to Sony's releases prior to the PSP launch in Japan, their production guidelines predicted a break even on the hardware in ~6-8 months, with profit ~2-3 months afterwards.

Kuturagi himself stated after the price point was released that SCE isn't planning on utilizing the PSP as loss leader for nearly as long as they did with the PSone and PS2. Are they profiting right now? Only Sony knows for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were breaking even at the very least.

jman2050

Heian-kyo said:

Yeah, cause you know, PSP is twice the price of the DS in Japan.

Oh wait, it isn't.

The PSP isn't that much more expensive then the DS in Japan than it is here. So this 'pulling in more revenue' crap is exactly that: crap.

Nevertheless, solid numbers from the PSP, and OMGWTF numbers from the DS as usual.

Dracos

Heian-kyo said:

*sigh*

Beowvlf

Banned
jman2050 said:
Yeah, cause you know, PSP is twice the price of the DS in Japan.

Oh wait, it isn't.

The PSP isn't that much more expensive then the DS in Japan than it is here. So this 'pulling in more revenue' crap is exactly that: crap.
Price of a DS in Japan: 14,799¥
Price of a PSP in Japan: 24,999¥

DS: 48,520 x 14,799¥ = 718,047,480¥
PSP: 29,395 x 24,999¥ = 734,845,605¥

Amount of more revenue PSP brought in this past week: 16,798,125¥

Do the math next time.

mutsu

Rocket9 said:
Revenue/Profit

It's all the same thing....

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Revenue = the gross income returned by an investment
Profit = net income from a business, investment, or capital appreciation

Gross and net is the same??? :lol :lol :lol :lol

Culex

Banned
Chart updated again. We are seeing a nice trend developing with increasing DS sales over the past few weeks.

JPHandheldWar.jpg

Sadly, I won't be able to keep this updated past New Year's, as I'll be getting deployed to Afganistan on January 4th. :-(

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

:O

jman2050

Heian-kyo said:

Do the math next time.

woah, back up. The price of the PSP was set at 19,800 yen at launch. The price you listed is the bonus pack I believe.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Heian-kyo said:

Do the math next time.
So, I guess the DS IS the next Virtual Boy.

fresquito

The hyperbole! Now we learn that Sony makes more profit off the PSP by selling less hardware than Nintendo off the DS by selling more! Because we all know the DS is the most advanced console out there technically speaking, so the tecnology must be really expesive. Whereas PSP is a very olf-fashioned console whose components are little less than given away for free...

Oh yes... I see... how smart of Sony...

DCharlie

Ken Kutaragi would come out and comment on this, but he can't leave his office because there is so much money from PSP revenues blocking his doorway.

Deku

Banned
DCharlie said:
Ken Kutaragi would come out and comment on this, but he can't leave his office because there is so much money from PSP revenues blocking his doorway.

PSP is selling below the DS by design of Ken. How can you even think of criticizing the PSP? It is perfect in every way. There is no design flaw in Sony's business plan.

DCharlie

"PSP is selling below the DS by design of Ken. How can you even think of criticizing the PSP? It is perfect in every way. There is no design flaw in Sony's business plan."

tell that to Ken, the poor bastard has to EAT his way through that revenue every time he has to go out of the building ... i mean, physically EAT...

actually, that might explain where he gets those super muscular cheek jawls of his.

"Oh these? *strokes cheeks* When i work out - i get through about 550 pounds every couple of minutes!"
"Wow - that's amazing Ken... no wonder you have a beefcake and buff face.... 550 lbs? "
"sorry... no ... pounds _sterling_... the 50p bits are a bit sharp on the way down though..."

DCharlie said:
"Oh these? *strokes cheeks* When i work out - i get through about 550 pounds every couple of minutes!"
"Wow - that's amazing Ken... no wonder you have a beefcake and buff face.... 550 lbs? "
"sorry... no ... pounds _sterling_... the 50p bits are a bit sharp on the way down though..."

:lol I just read that like it was a scene from Blackadder, priceless and it fits pretty well. Middle line as the Prince, other Blackadder.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Heian-kyo said:

:lol are you being serious?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Culex said:
Chart updated again. We are seeing a nice trend developing with increasing DS sales over the past few weeks.

JPHandheldWar.jpg

Sadly, I won't be able to keep this updated past New Year's, as I'll be getting deployed to Afganistan on January 4th. :-(
I have a cousin over there, be safe and good luck.

Heian-kyo said:

Do the math next time.
jman2050 said:
woah, back up. The price of the PSP was set at 19,800 yen at launch. The price you listed is the bonus pack I believe.

PSP: 29,395 x 19,800¥ = 582,021,000¥

Amount of more revenue DS brought in this past week: 136,026,480¥

Hey, I can do math and statistics too!

Regardless, go DS and PSP...

Beowvlf

Banned
**sigh**

I like how this thread has now conclusively proven that in the 'true business world', revenue means nothing.

CAPITILISM BE DAMNED!!

I give up, I'm taking Wario's route from now on. DS > PSP.

/thread

Heian-kyo said:
**sigh**

I like how this thread has now conclusively proven that in the 'true business world', revenue means nothing.

CAPITILISM BE DAMNED!!

/thread

*pats Heian on back* :)

cvxfreak

Heian-kyo said:
**sigh**

CAPITILISM BE DAMNED!!

/thread

By that logic, Xbox 1 > GBA in Japan.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Heian-kyo said:
**sigh**

CAPITILISM BE DAMNED!!

/thread

that 16,798,125¥ of alleged extra revenue doesn't mean shit if sony's investment in the PSP is ,say, 5 billion yen more than Nintendo's investment in the DS.

Top Bottom