• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan release day sales 2/8: Virtua Bomba 5

Scotch

Parl said:
But the amount of gamers with a 360 back then it much different to the amount of gamers with a PS3 now. There's probably about 150,000 gamers with a PS3 in Japan right now.
:lol

Link

The Autumn Wind
Parl said:
Unlikely, in my eyes. Show me evidence to the contrary, however.
Wow....

Have you missed the weekly threads we have on Japanese sales?

EDIT - And out of curiosity, how many 360's had been sold when DOAX2 released?

frAntic_Frog said:
sony bailed on the PSP? really? why is there a new Ratchet PSP game? or a rumored God of war PSP game? or the upcoming Loco Roco 2? or GT Mobile? or the next SOCOM PSP game? Killzone PSP? cmon...sony isnt nintendo's gamecube or MS's Xbox where they cut and run and leave the 15+million fanbase leaving a piece of unsupported crap with a 2 year long drought :(

Probably the best joke of the day :lol

Parl

Sorry, I'm just being picky with wording in a cheeky way. In hindsight, maybe the number of gamers with PS3s is more like 200,000.

frAntic_Frog said:
sony bailed on the PSP? really? why is there a new Ratchet PSP game? or a rumored God of war PSP game? or the upcoming Loco Roco 2? or GT Mobile? or the next SOCOM PSP game? Killzone PSP? cmon...sony isnt nintendo's gamecube or MS's Xbox where they cut and run and leave the 15+million fanbase leaving a piece of unsupported crap with a 2 year long drought :(

I wouldn't say Sony has bailed on it, but they clearly don't put much effort into it. I mean, they rather put out a motorcycle game on the PS2 than have Polyphony work on GT Mobile. They rather have David Jaffe do a PSN download game than a PSP title. Most of their titles are farmed out to lower tier developers and end up being mediocre. There are probably 5-6 really nice ones, but that seems to be almost in spite of Sony's efforts, not because of it.

Sony of Japan has apparently put a little more effort, like having Level 5 do Jeanne d'Arc. But too bad no one outside of Japan will apparently ever see it.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Parl said:
Sorry, I'm just being picky with wording in a cheeky way. In hindsight, maybe the number of gamers with PS3s is more like 200,000.
It says something about this forum that I can't tell if you're kidding.

Parl said:

Worf_is_Frustrated.gif

-Sales Age threads suck
-Japanese VFers play VF5 at arcades against human beings not at home all alone
-Xbots stirring the pot are being hypocrites because they will buy VF5 in September anyway

Parl

For me to make a guess as to how many gamers in Japan own a PS3, I'd divide the amount of PS3 games sold by 3. Is that a good guess? Maybe not, but it's the best I can be bothered to come up with at the moment.

There's been about 1 game sold per PS3 so far. I can't image that if somebody was going to pay so much Yen for a PS3, and buy one why the software library is so limited, isn't dedicated enough to buy more than 1 game, or even maybe 2 for many of them.

So dividing 612,000 by 3, we get 204,000.

I'll be back on here when I'm a bit more sober and a bit less tired to see how screwed my logic and thinking is.

raYne

Parl said:
For me to make a guess as to how many gamers in Japan own a PS3, I'd divide the amount of PS3 games sold by 3. Is that a good guess? Maybe not, but it's the best I can be bothered to come up with at the moment.

There's been about 1 game sold per PS3 so far. I can't image that if somebody was going to pay so much Yen for a PS3, and buy one why the software library is so limited, isn't dedicated enough to buy more than 1 game, or even maybe 2 for many of them.

I'll be back on here when I'm a bit more sober and a bit less tired to see how screwed my logic and thinking is.
The hell?

Parl said:

monoid.jpg

Parl

Do people have a much broarder definition of "gamer" than me? Possibly inspired by a rebellion to the term "non-game", which most prefer to call "games", which has caused all "non-gamers" to be called "gamers", and thus Nintendo has achieved their mission. Or maybe not...

So how much software has been sold for PS3 in Japan thus far?

We can't expect much from this kind of userbase.

Not everyone who owns a PS3 is going to use it or buy new games with it. Some might be sitting inside some closets. Some of them might have been just bought for a game or a BR disc and then waiting for a game that is not called Virtua Fighter 5.

The numbers are not good but neither are the PS3's. Virtua Fighter hasn't been a huge system seller since Virtua Fighter 3tb for the Dreamcast, and some might even argue that. This reminded me of the Game Cube days where people kept telling each other how this or that game will sell and turn the ship around. Yet it never did. For a system as pricy as PS3, people are not going to buy a system due to one game.

I could see Virtua Fighter 5 being a title that slowly picks up a few hundred to a couple thousand units a week over the course of a year or two and wind up selling 500,000 copies overall.

Ikael

Ambition isn't restricted to sumpercomputers with HD visuals, surround audio output or online infrastructure, nor does it need new ways to control and interact with your game. Ambition is about the willingness for a developer to think outside the box and stick with it, even though it might not be the easiest way to make some money.
Amen. Spore is way more ambitious than Gears of War could ever dream of, even if it doesn't have the (stunning) GoW graphics or didn't costed as much.

VFers in Japan have no money to buy PS3s because they are constantly plunking down tokens into arcade cabinets. Of corse VF players are broke.

seriously, this thread is full of crap. everyone is an analyst from crapsville

Terrell

miguel_c_hammer said:
Not that big a deal. It'll probably get to 70k or so by the end of the week. I'm sure fanboys will get a lot of mileage out of this, but the fact remains that PS3 is getting far too many important sequels not to establish itself in Japan.

Really disappointing numbers for Jet Impulse, even though they obviously weren't expecting much to begin with.
Funny, I really don't see a "fact" there, per se. Now, the truth of the matter is that we will have no idea what kind of an impact games like DMC4, MGS4 and FFXIII will have, as it is entirely dependant on what Nintendo can offer the market. If what Nintendo can offer in its game lineup is in enough volume and has a high enough quality, a bunch of high-profile games actually might not be enough. GameCube and Xbox had a lot of high-profile titles, as well, but it certainly wasn't enough to overtake PS2 due to the volume and overall quality of the PS2 game library.

There's no magic market panacea or Holy Grail of sales recovery, folks. If Sony wants out of this sales slump, THEY have to get it done, not some magical 3rd-party title that may go multiplatform or even possibly disappear entirely.

cvxfreak

gutter_trash said:
VFers in Japan have no money to buy PS3s because they are constantly plunking down tokens into arcade cabinets. Of corse VF players are broke.

seriously, this thread is full of crap. everyone is an analyst from crapsville

You don't say.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
raYne said:
The hell?

Stealth trolling.

He's saying there's 200k PS3 owners out there who are gamers. As in, the other 400k aren't because they don't even have a game for their system. I guess he's trying to say that total PS3 software sold is 200k, so how could all 600k people be enjoying their consoles.

Or some shit like that.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
gutter_trash said:
-Xbots stirring the pot are being hypocrites because they will buy VF5 in September anyway

Yes they will. And you know why? Because it will have online capability. Somthing that Sega should've put in the PS3 version.

GhaleonEB

AlphaSnake said:
Stealth trolling.

He's saying there's 200k PS3 owners out there who are gamers. As in, the other 400k aren't because they don't even have a game for their system. I guess he's trying to say that total PS3 software sold is 200k, so how could all 600k people be enjoying their consoles.

Or some shit like that.
That was stealth?

Stealth

AlphaSnake said:
Stealth trolling.

Or some shit like that.

He's using Jeff Goldblum logic.

goldblumavby5.jpg

AlphaSnake said:
Stealth trolling.

Or some shit like that.
Well, his profile says he lives in the UK, which puts his post at around 3.48am his time. Maybe a combination of sleep deprivation, mixed with alcohol, lead to his conclusion?

quetz67

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
Stealth trolling.

Or some shit like that.
I dont know about the 200k number, but as I said earlier, I think a good amount of PS3s is in the hands of people who only bought it as a cheap BluRay player or importers all over the world

karasu

quetz67 said:
I dont know about the 200k number, but as I said earlier, I think a good amount of PS3s is in the hands of people who only bought it as a cheap BluRay player or importers all over the world

ugh, ps2 all over again.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
I don't like Virtual Fighter games because it made me feel like I should actually take karate lessons than spend time trying to master Virtual Fighter. Then I thought, I am 24 and what sort of person my age trains to be a karate master? Then I decided to play some Dragon Ball for the Wii instead.

Hunter D

KTallguy said:
Again, VF5 is available in Japan wherever you can find an arcade.

It's nothing new to them. It's a port with a few extra modes.

The people who bought it are mostly hardcore players who want to use training mode.
This is bull. Most fighting games are released in arcades months before the home version is released and some of the games still sold well on console. SC2 sold well even though the arcade version was out for months. Face it, the fighting game genre isn't as popular as it used to be. Casual gamers don't seem to care for most fighters anymore. What happened to SF2 seems to happening with Tekken, VF, and DOA.

Battersea Power Station said:
All the Sony bashing is getting silly, but to compare the PS3 with the PS2 is to insult the PS2 and ignore its amazing achievements.

"Dreamcast games look better, and it's half the price!"

Hunter D said:
This is bull. Most fighting games are released in arcades months before the home version is released and some of the games still sold well on console. SC2 sold well even though the arcade version was out for months. Face it, the fighting game genre isn't as popular as it used to be. Casual gamers don't seem to care for most fighters anymore. What happened to SF2 seems to happening with Tekken, VF, and DOA.

Fighting games = American comics.

They listened to the hardcore. And look where it got them.

All the Sony bashing is getting silly, but to compare the PS3 with the PS2 is to insult the PS2 and ignore its amazing achievements.
give the PS3 some time, good sir
even the PS2 had humble/criticized beginnings, which some said had the worst console launch lineup in 2000....now look where its at ;)

EverSoTrendy said:
DS is a console? I must be the only person who bought a DS and didn't like it.
You aren't. Traded in my Lite in for a PSP and I enjoy my PSP a lot more.

Did anyone expect a fighting game to really make a big impact?

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Hunter D said:

Didn't DOA4 and Tekken: DR sell exceptionally well worldwide? I know DOA4 hit a million and I'm sure combined with the PSN and the PSP and the soon-to-release Tekken: DR on PSN for the U.S., the combined total is/will be over a million.

KTallguy

Banned
Hunter D said:

No, the situation in Japan is how I stated it.
VF never moved a ton of units in Japan in the past. It was never a system seller. People are playing a ton of VF and Tekken DR, if you look at rankings from Arcadia magazine.

The arcade is much more suited to the commuter lifestyle in Japan, were you can stop by an arcade on the way home from work and then take the train home. Plus, you can easily find comp in the arcade. Only the hardcore of the hardcore really practice a ton at home.

VF5 is a great game, but it's been accessible to everyone for a long time in the arcade, it's nothing new there.

wazoo

amazing achievements in its first 3 months, or even its first year ??

cvxfreak

KTallguy said:
No, the situation in Japan is how I stated it.
VF never moved a ton of units in Japan in the past. It was never a system seller. People are playing a ton of VF and Tekken DR, if you look at rankings from Arcadia magazine.

The arcade is much more suited to the commuter lifestyle in Japan, were you can stop by an arcade on the way home from work and then take the train home. Plus, you can easily find comp in the arcade. Only the hardcore of the hardcore really practice a ton at home.

VF5 is a great game, but it's been accessible to everyone for a long time in the arcade, it's nothing new there.

Virtua Fighter 2 sold like 1.7 Million back in the day. The Saturn ended up at 5.6 Million or so. Damn well it was a system seller in the past. It's historically been more popular than Tekken too.

Parl

marvelharvey said:
Well, his profile says he lives in the UK, which puts his post at around 3.48am his time. Maybe a combination of sleep deprivation, mixed with alcohol, lead to his conclusion?

Sleep deprivation and a bit of alcohol led me to not realise that people didn't understand I was refering specifically about gamers. I probably thought is was clear, I mean, using the word "gamers" and all. Should've become even more clear with the way I was talking about it after. However, some people were on the ball, I see.

I'm saying that I'd say each person who bought a PS3 for playing games, maybe wouldn't just own one game. I thought that if they're willing to fork out that much, they must be dedicated enough gamers to pay a bit more (relatively) to enjoy the console with 2, 3 or 4 games.

My guess, and I admit it's a guess, is that the average PS3 gamer in Japan owns three games. From what I can tell there's about 600,000 games sold for PS3 in Japan, too. Similar to that of hardware units sold. That leads me to figure, based on my guesswork, that few of those 612,000 MC tracked PS3 owners are actually gamers.

VF5 selling to one out of every 6 or 7 gamers in Japan on first day? I say it sounds reasonable.

I made this point originally to suggest that maybe there's less gamers with a PS3 than Xbox 360 as an explanation of its first day sales when compared to that vollyball game on X360. And to me, that seems likely.

Top Bottom