• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan release day sales 2/8: Virtua Bomba 5

jarrod

Banned
32k? Yikes, that means probably 45-55k 1st week... about half what I expected going by the 150k preorders. :/

Guess it's time for SEGA to greenlight that Psy-Phi Wii port... hell, they could still port VF4FT and it'd probably sell more than 32k 1st day. :lol

Bebpo said:
You could say that about every single 3rd party GC game as well. Baten Kaitos would've sold A LOT more on PS2 :p
Inversely, if we use the same proportion argument as those defending VF5's 5% penetration sellthrough, we could say most multiplatform 3rd party games (ToS, RE4, SC2, etc) sold proportionately better on GC. :p

Baten Kaitos makes a sort of bad example on your part though, as it and it's sequel were chiefly Nintendo funded iirc. It would've sold slightly better on PS2 probably sure, but it likely wouldn't have received 1st party subsidizing either. Same goes for FFCC and the MGS1 remake... for everything else though, the point stands.

Error2k4 said:
so... what's next for PS3 in japan after gundam musou?
Ninja Gaiden Sigma in the spring, Mingol 5 in the summer... then in the fall/winter it's DMC4, MGS4, White Knight Story, WE11 and maybe Monster Hunter.

I'd say personally 360 actually has a more compelling "heavy hitter" list for the rest of 2007 (Trusty Bell, Ninja Gaiden 2, Lost Odyssey, VF5+, Gundam Troy, ... maybe Infinite Undiscovery and Cry-On ) though most are unproven, it's especially tipped towards the casual RPG crowd I think. Not going to turn anything around, but it may keep 360 at selling a third what PS3 manages (which would be an achievement in itself). I expect Gundam Musou to turn up on 360 too probably.

Wii's got DQ Swords & Super Paper Mario this spring, and a ton of tentpole releases tenatively lined up for the rest of the year (Mario Galaxy, FFCC2, SSBX, Sword of Legendia, Biohazard UC, Kirby, Yawaraka Atamajuku, Mario Party 8, Mario Strikers 2, Wii Motorsports/Music/Cooking/Health/etc). It's going to be a massacre.

jj984jj said:
I believe VF4 did do better in Japan than it did here actually even if most people don't think so.

VF4 did 500K in Japan.
And VF4 sold ~600k in the US. VF hasn't sold better in Japan versus outside Japan since it was on the SEGA platforms... the second it moved to PS2, it starting selling better in the west.

CowGirl said:
Sure, check out this thread about Japanese arcade charts:

Virtua Fighter is simply not as popular in Japan as it used to be.
From my understanding, VF5's charting has more to do with SEGA's unfavorable LindBergh licensing details than any watershed shift in franchise popularity. A next gen Tekken 6 would've sold even less in it's place imo.

Jammy said:
The worse part is the development costs. 32,000 is bad enough for a Virtua Fighter game but the next-generation devleopment costs can only hurt.
Actually, most of VF5's R&D costs would be recoupled already from the arcade release. VF5 PS360 will only need to recoup the costs of porting, which are pretty low by comparison... even with these sad JP sales, I think it'll make a nice return overall.

Dragona Akehi said:
Hell, out of 300 000 Xbox360 owners, DOA4 still managed to sell 120 000 units.

DOA4

XBOX360
:lol Good point.

Given how Gundam and RR7 managed to eventually crawl past 100k (after what, 20-30k 1st week debuts) I think VF5 might be able to just eclipse 200k lifetime. If there's any notable additions to the 360 port (XBLA VF.TV?) maybe another 50-75k on top of that too.

AniHawk

Dragona Akehi said:

DOA4

XBOX360
sf.gif
sf.gif
sf.gif
sf.gif

sf.gif
sf.gif
sf.gif
sf.gif

sf.gif
sf.gif
sf.gif
sf.gif

sf.gif
sf.gif
sf.gif
sf.gif

bud

jarrod said:
Guess it's time for SEGA to greenlight that Psy-Phi Wii port... hell, they could still port VF4FT and it'd probably sell more than 32k 1st day. :lol

omg they should like release every ps3/xbox360 on the wii.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Amir0x said:
Ah, more confirmation Japan sucks.

Actually, in this case Japan has proven that its collective taste is better than we thought.

The Japanese would much rather play against other people in the arcade than play this by themselves on PS3.

wazoo

bud said:
omg they should like release every ps3/xbox360 on the wii.

Just for the pleasure of seeing hardcore VF fans trying to play VF5 with the wiimote, just because this is what is cool now in Japan

lachesis

Well, it's sad to see VF5 doing not too hot in their homeground - but as fighting games lost their steam pretty much all in past generation, it's not too surprising that fighting games cannot be considered as a system seller... :(

BboyDubC

sp0rsk said:
Actually, in this case Japan has proven that its collective taste is better than we thought.

The Japanese would much rather play against other people in the arcade than play this by themselves on PS3.

Glad somebody realized the truth. Its a game they've been playing for like 6 months. They no longer need to learn the characters, and the majority of the players probably only care for the competition, which they can't get at home.

Mar

BboyDubC said:
Glad somebody realized the truth. Its a game they've been playing for like 6 months. They no longer need to learn the characters, and the majority of the players probably only care for the competition, which they can't get at home.

Do people actually believe that? Or do they say that to help themselves sleep at night?

I expected higher sales for VF5. But I don't think this is doom worthy talk just yet.

apujanata

It looks like my suspicion that VF5 might not be the PS3 system seller that many hope it is will come true. I most eagerly look forward to next week's M-create H/W chart.

Edit : removed CVX question, since that question was answered a few posts ago.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
sp0rsk said:

Wait. This has what to do with console wars?

Avalon

Pellham said:
I can't believe anyone thought this game would be a system seller to begin with.

Well, the PS3 has been selling on name alone up until now. Was it too crazy to believe that a game with some Japanese appeal (limited, yes, but it still is a fairly strong series) would sell a system or two?

Haunted

Oblivion said:
Wait till Killzone 2.
Well, we're talking about Japan here, so thinking Killzone 2 a system seller would be pretty far-fetched - even for the staunchest Sony supporters. :lol

Pachael

Here's the VF5 - Spring 2007 - exclusive to PS3 thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3303266&postcount=205
proposition said:
I'm not understanding the reasoning behind Sony paying Sega lots of money to make VF5 exclusive.

I see it as; VF is a big seller in Japan. 360 is not.

Therefore, no point in spending a lot of money making a 360 version of the game which will not recover the cost.

I fail to see why Sony should have to pay Sega to make an already sensible decision...

Of course most of that thread's a PS3 vs 360 slanging match, aka 360 doesn't sell enough in Japan to make VF worthwhile, PS3 owners (or wanna be owners) finally having a reason to get a PS3 - a system seller for them, the refutation of a VF5 to 360 port (most of these guys choked at the 'We'll have VF5 for 360 too!' in December) etc etc (sigh)

Grecco

VF has never been a system seller since V2 i guess.. Anyone expecting otherwise was just foolish. So its no suprise it went bomba. Wait till MGS

AniHawk

Grecco said:
VF has never been a system seller since V2 i guess.. Anyone expecting otherwise was just foolish. So its no suprise it went bomba. Wait till MGS

MGS hasn't been a system seller since MGS2.

VF5 is going to do well in the west, not big, not small, but well.

PS3 owners have nothing to play (like me right now) and we want something new and especially since it's the only real next gen fighting game. VF5 will sell well (proportionally to how many PS3 owners exist)

Also the media coverage has been mostly positive across the board from GS, IGN, 1Up and the magazines. OPM, EGM ect ect ect

the lack of many games on the PS3 actually gives VF5 bigger exposure in the media when compared to VF4 when it came on the PS2 last gen.

Allot more not fighting game enthusiasts are talking about VF now, and it is that damn true

ethelred

gutter_trash said:
VF5 is going to do well in the west, not big, not small, but well.

PS3 owners have nothing to play (like me right now) and we want something new and especially since it's the only real next gen fighting game. VF5 will sell well (proportionally to how many PS3 owners exist)

Also the media coverage has been mostly positive across the board from GS, IGN, 1Up and the magazines. OPM, EGM ect ect ect

the lack of many games on the PS3 actually gives VF5 bigger exposure in the media when compared to VF4 when it came on the PS2 last gen.

Allot more not fighting game enthusiasts are talking about VF now, and it is that damn true

Dragona Akehi said:

DOA4

XBOX360

jarrod

Banned
I wonder worldwide, which version of VF5 will sell better? PS3 has the lead window and a lack of competition, but 360 has the (potentially) more complete release and a larger installed base to sell to...

AniHawk

jarrod said:
I wonder worldwide, which version of VF5 will sell better? PS3 has the lead window and a lack of competition, but 360 has the (potentially) more complete release and a larger installed base to sell to...

It's going to be a launch game in Europe, won't it? I thought they were big Sega fans there.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
:lol

Anyway, Japan's gaming industry is bizarro world confirmed.

What's the next big PS3 system seller in Japan? Gundam Musou?

jarrod

Banned
Sho Nuff said:
Dear Sega please port VF4FT to PSP Namco-style
Hey, maybe they can use that VF4 Dreamcast engine Suzuki's got hidden in the closet? :p

Considering Tekken PSP royally flopped though (like worse even than Tekken GBA) I sort of doubt it'll happen....

Sean*O

Claiming that VF5 was never supposed to be a big seller seems wholly inconsistent with the fallout that happened here when they announced it on the 360.

I wonder if Metal Gear or DMC 4, or even Final Fantasy XIII fail to move the needle as much as some would hope, will those people be as apathetic in those cases?

VF5 selling so little in Japan on hardware with little else to play is quite a surprise.

lachesis said:
Well, it's sad to see VF5 doing not too hot in their homeground - but as fighting games lost their steam pretty much all in past generation, it's not too surprising that fighting games cannot be considered as a system seller... :(

There you have it.

People put way too much stock in VF5. The fifth installment of a fighting game isn't going to push a $500 dollar console. The end.

Sho Nuff said:
They made like 3 copies of it. It's sold out everywhere. Planned shortage or unforeseen demand?

Well that's half my point. There's hardly a situation where people don't want Hotel Dusk, no one can GET it. The fact that it's selling out doesn't make it Okami or ZX

Anyanka

I like how everytime the arcade rankings come up everyone rushes to defend VF and no one even considers the possibility that T5DR is just a great game that the Japanese have started playing more. It's much better then T4 and the other T5 games, it shouldn't be a surprise. But yeah, gotta keep up that mythical status for VF.

Ikael

I think that people putted wayyyy too much expectations onto Virtua Fighter. It is not a system seller. It is not like final fantasy, which drags persons onto one system, it just sells to the fighting fans of an already stablished base of users, which is what happed. While the numbers are low, they are not as unexpected seeing the small base of PS3 owners. However, what doesn't bodes well to the PS3's future is the software attach ratio. Specially compared to the 360's one. We all know that Sony must do something about it, but I personally have no clue besides "put down the price and bring more compelling software".

Top Bottom