• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan sharts: Media Create 6 - 12 Jun

GaimeGuy said:
You're an idiot. it's not hard to find a song.

:(

issa joke mang

I don't use my PSP for music either.

GaimeGuy said:
And why are you buying UMD's when you can just rip movies on your own?

'cause that takes time, UMDs are easier. :)

Fuzzy said:
What about the people listening to their iPods while playing their DS? :p

But then you don't get the full experience of the game world and it's sounds and muzak!

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Man, are people still going on about PS2 ports for PSP? It's like the "only NES/SNES ports are released for GBA!!" argument all over again. There are definitely enough good, original games to even things out, and most of the ports aren't even straight ports, but rather PSP adaptions with added/changed content. And that's not exactly a PSP exclusive feature. :p

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
is anyone actually arguing that the PSP is a good music player? Actually, has anyone ever argued that sony make good music players at all? I remember buying a minidisc and trying to put songs on that thing and nearly smashing the minidisc after even having to look at SONICSTAGE UGH.

Sony makes worthless music players and fuck memory sticks with their high prices.

Also, I've never seen my flatmate watch a single thing on his PSP except for messing around with making it work either. At first I got some penis envy when I saw how nice the screen looked, but now that I have 7ds and 3 awesome GBA game to play vs lumines, I'm pretty happy with the much cheaper price and I bet that is a common experience the world over, or at least in the places both are released.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
catfish said:
is anyone actually arguing that the PSP is a good music player?
Good? Sure. Perfect? No. It has good sound quality, decent navigation and features, supports mp3 and has expandable storage. Downsides are the cost of expanding the storage and the bulk/formfactor of the device which doesn't make it the most ideal as a standalone music player in every situation, but nobody is going to recommend a PSP to someone strictly looking for a music player. That doesn't make its music playback capabilities bad.

Actually, has anyone ever argued that sony make good music players at all? I remember buying a minidisc and trying to put songs on that thing and nearly smashing the minidisc after even having to look at SONICSTAGE UGH.
What is it that you want to complain about - the quality of the software or the quality of the hardware? Sony has put out plenty of high quality music players in their time, not all of which have been solely reliant on Sonicstage to get music on them.

At first I got some penis envy...
Yeah, okay Mr. Sour Grapes..."at first". You certainly sound like you're over it. It's a shame you can't just enjoy your DS without the unwarranted mudslinging.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
kaching said:
What is it that you want to complain about - the quality of the software or the quality of the hardware? Sony has put out plenty of high quality music players in their time, not all of which have been solely reliant on Sonicstage to get music on them.

Yeah, okay Mr. Sour Grapes..."at first". You certainly sound like you're over it. It's a shame you can't just enjoy your DS without the unwarranted mudslinging.

Mainly I found the software to be the biggest pain in the ass to put anything on the hardware. but minidisc really isn't much of a hot system IMO either. What good music players does sony have that don't use sonic stage?

dude. I'm not sour about anything. I was joking when I said it gave me penis envy. PSP is importer only here at the moment, so I had never seen one. It looks very very very nice, but it's implementation of it's extra features is just totally not a selling point. so that leaves games which PSP (post e3) has problems, well let's be honest, comparing this years coming line up between the systems, PSP just took a hiding . Unwarranted mudslinging, jeez, this is a sales thread and I mentioned that my experience was probably common the world over. Are you saying it's probably not? I'm not a fanboy and frankly I could go and buy a psp if I wanted to. I don't want to because I think Sony isn't very good at making portable devices. thats not "mudslinging"

Li Mu Bai

Banned
These arguements do nothing to alter the PSP's exhorbitant & prohibitive cost overseas, or change the cheaper R&D & more profitable NDS software. 3rd party developers are already taking notice, which will in all probability in turn lead to a more concentrated effort strictly for the NDS platform. This is simply economics & not based upon any system "bias." (esp. w/the next-gen looming, & the lengthy development cycles already being diverted to those consoles) It is always & will forever be about the bottom line.

mj1108

Kolgar said:
But we simply can't judge the success or failure of PSP yet.

For one thing, we don't have much to play yet besides launch games. There's lots more to come down the road.

The DS drought 3 months after launch: "DS Iz d00m3d!!!!!!"
The PSP drought 3 months after launch: "It's ok, we still have launch games to play."

:lol

And why are you buying UMD's when you can just rip movies on your own?

Some people don't have broadband or is willing to download illegal movies. I fit in the former but not the latter. Not that many people know about downloading illegal movies so the video functions don't mean much. Some people aren't videophiles who scrutinize over every little pixel on the screen so they don't give a fuck about UMD resolution. UMD movies look great on PSP to me and to anyone who seen it (the people I worked with). The first thing they didn't say was, "Wow, I wonder how that resolution would appear on my 51" HDTV?" it was "Holy shit, thats awesome." as Arnold was fucking people's shit up.

The UMD market will be a strong alternative. I plan to support it quite heavily as long as the UMD movies and music are good themselves. After seeing the lists, there will be a lot of great shit to buy for it. A lot meaning at least a dozen.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Seriously. As a Dreamcast early adopter, I've seen quality sell like shit but mediocrity sell well. Sales threads mean nothing other than "Oh, thats interesting." Some people act as if the sales threads are an extension of themselves. Some need to chill out.

Deku

Banned
catfish said:
dude. I'm not sour about anything. I was joking when I said it gave me penis envy. PSP is importer only here at the moment, so I had never seen one. It looks very very very nice, but it's implementation of it's extra features is just totally not a selling point. so that leaves games which PSP (post e3) has problems, well let's be honest, comparing this years coming line up between the systems, PSP just took a hiding . Unwarranted mudslinging, jeez, this is a sales thread and I mentioned that my experience was probably common the world over. Are you saying it's probably not? I'm not a fanboy and frankly I could go and buy a psp if I wanted to. I don't want to because I think Sony isn't very good at making portable devices. thats not "mudslinging"

Well, what can you do really. Point out PSP's flaws and you get a bunch of labels thrown at you. As you've said, the extra features are really poorly implemented, and you're right. I think most people who aren't beholden to Sony will see it that way too. But this is GAF and such statements will get under the skin of certain posters who will argue any point, no matter how ridiculous.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
catfish said:
Mainly I found the software to be the biggest pain in the ass to put anything on the hardware. but minidisc really isn't much of a hot system IMO either. What good music players does sony have that don't use sonic stage?
There's about 3 decades worth you can pick through across a variety of formats - cassette, CD, MD, Flash media, HD - but you're not really interested in an objective evaluation of the players themselves so there's not much point.

dude. I'm not sour about anything. I was joking when I said it gave me penis envy. PSP is importer only here at the moment, so I had never seen one. It looks very very very nice, but it's implementation of it's extra features is just totally not a selling point. so that leaves games which PSP (post e3) has problems, well let's be honest, comparing this years coming line up between the systems, PSP just took a hiding . Unwarranted mudslinging, jeez, this is a sales thread and I mentioned that my experience was probably common the world over. Are you saying it's probably not?
I'd say your experience is so far too limited to be making these kind of sweeping statements - you have one friend with a PSP whose usage habits you seem to observe from a distance and a bad run-in with Sonicstage. That's really seeing the forest for the trees. Beyond that, your best point is about the release schedule for both systems but even that's just premature when we're talking about a device that's only been out for 6 months, not yet in all major territories, in a market almost completely 100% owned by a single company for years prior.

I'm not a fanboy and frankly I could go and buy a psp if I wanted to. I don't want to because I think Sony isn't very good at making portable devices. thats not "mudslinging"
Well, I'm certainly convinced. See - this is my convinced face :|

deku said:
Well, what can you do really. Point out PSP's flaws and you get a bunch of labels thrown at you. As you've said, the extra features are really poorly implemented, and you're right. I think most people who aren't beholden to Sony will see it that way too. But this is GAF and such statements will get under the skin of certain posters who will argue any point, no matter how ridiculous.
I don't mind talking about weaknesses of the PSP, but some of you can't seem to do anything but complain about subjective issues with the PSP over and over and over again and present them as absolute "flaws" that everyone else must surely have a problem with. Not unlike Drinky's approach to the DS which you claimed to detest so. I don't seek to label you, it's your own words and actions that reek of hypocrisy.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Li Mu Bai said:
These arguements do nothing to alter the PSP's exhorbitant & prohibitive cost overseas...
To establish the PSP is exhorbitantly priced, you'd have to demonstrate that there are number of portable devices out there with similar levels of technology incorporated, costing significantly less. So where are all the portable devices with 4.3" LCDs, capable of rendering realtime DC/PS2 level visuals/AI/physics, with Wifi, 64 meg of RAM, two forms of removable storage, mp3/mp4 playback...all selling for significantly less than $250?

As for the price being prohibitive - it's a luxury device, not a necessity of life, and its not free so, yeah, its cost is going to be prohibitive to some portion of the population. But there are plenty of people buying things like iPods and digital cameras in the same price range or higher that would suggest that price is not too prohibitive.

...or change the cheaper R&D & more profitable NDS software. 3rd party developers are already taking notice, which will in all probability in turn lead to a more concentrated effort strictly for the NDS platform.
NDS development is not inherently cheaper, its just generally capped lower because of the kind of assets being used. Nothing stopping a PSP project from using NDS-level assets to keep costs down and it certainly seems like the tact some are essentially taking seeing as how some devs are mining their PSOne back catalog for PSP projects. If anything, I'd say it may lead to more multiplatform DS/PSP projects where the DS is the base platform.

Top Bottom