• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese software sale 5-12 Dec 2005

heidern

BorkBork said:
From 90k down to 50k while heading into the biggest 2 weeks of the year for a platform with good selling hardware regardless of software sales? I think you're undershooting the PSP number so that you'll be "surprised" at how well it does when the real numbers come out :lol
heavenly said:
I concur.
Guys, do you have to ruin it? He's carefully and consistently layed that plan down for the last week. Seeing as it is the season of goodwill and there's plenty of great sales to go round, surely you can have it in your hearts to share some of the surprise at strong sales with the Sony fans?

Doogdogg

CVXFREAK said:
Dengeki:

Animal Crossing DS: 165,000 / 686,000 (may reach a million before the end of the year)

AC will definitely reach a million before the end of the year. It just need an average of 157k for the next two weeks to reach that. Sales will also picked up nearing
Easter

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Holy Crap Indeed, very good DS Figures! Should of 360,000 sales just for fun.

mutsu

Animal Crossing WW is already the best selling AC game in Japan after 3 weeks? I forgot the numbers for the GC and N64 version, can anyone confirm?

Doogdogg

mutsu said:
Animal Crossing WW is already the best selling AC game in Japan after 3 weeks? I forgot the numbers for the GC and N64 version, can anyone confirm?

Yes. Cube version lifetime was around 650K and e+ was 250k.

mutsu

Man it's very sad to see games like "Super Monkey Ball DS" completely bombed in Japan... They didn't even make the top 50 charts on Dengeki...

EDIT: Also Sonic Rush. SEGA am cry.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
everybody was looking at the lines for the 360 launch did anyone bother to see the lines for the DS? :lol man 300,000 Jesuschrist what the fuck has Nintendo created? O_O

Emotions

mutsu said:
Man it's very sad to see games like "Dragon Ball Z 2 SuperSonic Warriors" and "Super Monkey Ball DS" completely bombed in Japan... They didn't even make the top 50 charts on Dengeki..

EDIT: Also Sonic Rush. SEGA am cry.

I helped in the sales of Dragong Ball Z and Sonic Rush and i'll gladly help Monkey Ball DS once it comes stateside :D

Too bad they didn't sell as good as expected.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
More results from Dengeki...

#21 Ridge Racer 6

#27 Perfect Dark Zero

#40 Need fro Speed: Most Wanted

#51 and beyond.... Everything else.

The write-up...

The van of the next generation machine was cut and "Xbox 360" of Microsoft was put on the market on December 10. 54,000 (average digestion rate about 30%). presumption to anxious sales performance during the firstThe sale postponement of a noteworthy work such as 'DEAD OR ALIVE4' and '【eM】' influenced, and it became a severe pickup below the half of 124,000(422,000 totals) results the first. 24,000 (Composition ratio in Xbox 360 soft market … 45.5% and main body installation rates … 44.2%). presumption of the most popular to sales number by popular race game 'Ridge racer 6' of Namco on the other hand though six titles were put on the market for software simultaneouslyHalf of nearby users seem to have bought this software with the main body. By the way, the total sales number of six titles is 52,000. The installation number of software to the main body slightly fell below 0.96) and 1. I want to expect it of the rally at the end of the year and the new year when a noteworthy work such as 'DEAD OR ALIVE4' and 'NINETY-NINE NIGHTS' is put on the market. New RPG 'Rorggaracshe' (PS2) of the level five that has developed 'Dragon quest VIII' (PS2) and a lot of powerful RPG acquires 1st place this week when in such and the ranking are paid attention. 225,000 presumption was sold, and the highest figure was recorded as an original title exceeding 'Wanda and colossus' (168,000 115,000 per first/totals) at current year. 'Mariocart DS one' (DS) of a noteworthy work of this winter sells 222,000 to 2nd place and it the first appears. It started more than the GBA version '? advance' (728,000 184,000 per first/totals) and the GC version '? double dash' (176,000/797,000) though the impression a little unable to move upward because the expected value was large was received, too. 'It is and a forest very stricken' (DS) in 3rd place sells 165,000 more than last week. It seems to achieve Mirionhit within the year when thinking about the current power though the numbers of total sales were extended up to 686,000. ..turning over..') is a rank ..'.. ..dragon.. Inn in profligate's world in 4th place in the new work besides this. The good start was very cut as the running out of stock shop came out one after another on the weekend. The activity of other 'It is and a forest very stricken' and 'Mariocart DS' in a hard market, and the main body of DS is 300,000 and rapid advancement of 78.0% increase compared with last week. The sale week (11/29 weeks … 401,000) of last year and the number of sales was recorded on the week third of the past followed on the week (12/20 weeks … 332,000) of Christmas.

Error2k4 said:
everybody was looking at the lines for the 360 launch did anyone bother to see the lines for the DS? :lol man 300,000 Jesuschrist what the fuck has Nintendo created? O_O
ndssin01.jpg

:p IGN actually had a follow up article along with their rather lukewarm launch impressions. Nintendo held some kind of launch event and apparently they didn't know about it.

Firest0rm

DarthWufei said:
ndssin01.jpg

:p IGN actually had a follow up article along with their rather lukewarm launch impressions. Nintendo held some kind of launch event and apparently they didn't know about it.

Launch party for what? Mario Kart!?

Error

DarthWufei said:
ndssin01.jpg

I should have said that now we know why the lines for the 360 looked so empty everybody was buying a DS.

Firest0rm said:
Launch party for what? Mario Kart!?
No the system launch.

Error2k4 said:
I should have said that now we know why the lines for the 360 looked so empty everybody was buying a DS.
:lol I see what you mean now, those are some fucking crazy numbers, especially if Media Create has anything similar. I'm really surprised at how well it's done these past 2 weeks in Japan... Look at the US figures for November and October...

heidern

The van of the next generation "Xbox 360" :lol

We know Ridge Racer sold 24K according to them and is at #21 meaning the top 20 are all over 25K. That puts Slime Mori Mori 2 around 70K and Dragonball Z DS around 65K. We also know that Monster Hunter psp did around 60K and that is at number 10. That means the touch generations games(Brain Training x2 and Daredemo) would be around 50K. It would also peg Mushikings start as around 50K too which ain't too bad if it can grow legs. Although it looks like its thuder has been stolen by Tamagotchi DS which is on the road to getting well over the half platinum mark. Monster Hunter psp has also done really well, not much of a drop off from last week which is impressive for a game on a Sony system which is usually very front loaded. Here's hoping Rogue Galaxy can grow some legs too.

Here's the top 50 breakdown.

19 DS
12 ps2
06 GBA
06 psp
04 GC
03 The Van.

29 Nintendo
18 Sony
03 Microsoft

Spike

Mrbob said:
Yes! Rogue Galaxy with the comeback win! Take THAT, Mario Kart DS! :D

Yup. Considering that the PS2 has an install base about 2x/3x/4x the DS install base, outselling Mario Kart by gpara's 19,000 or dengeki's 5,000 difference really says something.

jett

D-Member
DS is a fucking monster. I think it'd be hilarious to dig up a few GAF posts from the time when Sony revealed the PSP.

Spike said:
Yup. Considering that the PS2 has an install base about 2x/3x/4x the DS install base, outselling Mario Kart by gpara's 19,000 or dengeki's 5,000 difference really says something.

New IP vs. veteran IP on the current "in" console

Error

jett said:
DS is a fucking monster. I think it'd be hilarious to dig up a few GAF posts from the time when Sony revealed the PSP.
there are some classic ones here

http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=74132&highlight=DS+happy+birthday

my favorite

MrBob refering to the DS 11-11-2004 said:
I anticipate overzealous retailers are going to be placing a ton of these systems in bargain bins early next year.

couldn't resist this one.

mashoutposse said:
In the long run, it's going to be a slaughter sales-wise. I'm confident that Sony will be considered the handheld "market leader" within two years

cvxfreak

It's hilarious how Soul Calibur III is the #50 game on Dengeki's charts. Behind stuff like Famicom Mini: Super Mario Brothers.

Ceb

Re: Rogue Galaxy's Japanese sales

Bebpo said:
heh, I still stand by the idea that in Japan (and probably the west as well) quality has no effect on game sales ;)

So I still believe in the bomba for this game.

Jonnyram said:
Yes, this game will definitely bomb, regardless of whether it is good or not.
But it looks like I'll be getting it, at least

Owned. :D

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
CVXFREAK said:
(Mario Kart Double Dash: 176,000 / 797,000)

Okay, SOMETHING is wrong here. I read an article that said MK: DD had hit over a million in a month after being released. Yet those numbers tell a different tale. I'll try and find that article to make sure I'm not going crazy.

cvxfreak

Oblivion said:
Okay, SOMETHING is wrong here. I read an article that said MK: DD had hit over a million in a month after being released. Yet those numbers tell a different tale. I'll try and find that article to make sure I'm not going crazy.

US.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
CVXFREAK said:

Oh, cripes? That was for U.S.? Darn. So WW sales for that are about 4 miillion, and if only 700k sold in Japan, that means everywhere else is over 3 million combined. Damn.

Chrono

Banned
Emotions said:
On a little bit serious note why are you always so happy when a Sony-Microsoft game beats a Nintendo game in sales

Nintendo is interfering with MrBob's vision of 100% sony-microsoft-teh-mature-'n-cool dominance in the videogame industry.

Bebpo

Banned
Out of all the titles released, I'm hoping that Ryu Ga Gotoku is going to have the strongest legs. If it's true that Sega only shipped about 130-150k and sold 90%+ of the shipment, then Ryu Ga Gotoku still has a chance to do 500k+ and break even on the development budget.

Going by Japanese boards and even our RGG thread, it seems like every single person who is picking it up is loving it and telling as many people as they can that it's awesome, which in term is getting others to pick it up and then repeat the cycle. RGG is the type of game that could end up having crazy legs and selling continually for 1-2 months at ~50-100k a week. I really really hope this happens.

Then Sega USA can bring it to the US/Euro and start making money to fund a new game by the development team (I want to see them do a full out brawler based on the core RGG engine :p )

cvxfreak

Oblivion said:
Oh, cripes? That was for U.S.? Darn. So WW sales for that are about 4 miillion, and if only 700k sold in Japan, that means everywhere else is over 3 million combined. Damn.

You know, I think MKDD may have outsold SC in the US too when you factor in bundles and such.

ioi

Banned
Well it's mixed feelings. I am disappointed at Mario Kart although it will have long legs and will reach a million ok, but just WOW for Animal Crossing and the DS in general.

300k???

I think that is the biggest non-launch week ever (gonna try and confirm that) and as has been hinted, that may well increase even higher over the next couple of weeks.

Heidern was about right, next week usually sees about at 30% increase, then another 60% increase the following week (the way the dates fall this year this will be the biggest week, ending the 26th) and then a sligh drop of about 20% the next two weeks before returning to normal.

Animal Crossing is just WOW. 1.5 million is almost a cert now, definitely Nintendo's best non-pokemon game since Smash Bros in 1999, and the other DS games show a good rise and are going to do well over the holiday period.

I'm also impressed with Monster Hunter and PSP may do similar numbers to last week, but that still looks stupid compared to DS.

The only disappointment is Mario Kart for me. 220k in Nov in the US, 220k week one in Japan, I think bundles will help in the US and Europe, and it will sell 100-150k the next 2-3 weeks in Japan and have long legs (Mario Kart games never start that well), but in the light of 325k for Animal crossing I'm a tad disappointed.

Edit, from good old Game-Science:

DS actually did 400k last year non-launch so that is one occasion when a console has done more than 300k oops !! :lol

Xmas 2003

So for PS2 we have:
116 > 160 > 190 > 245 > 87

For GBA SP we have:
52 > 132 > 168 > 243 > 69

For GC we have:
54 > 95 > 155 > 165 > 37

The first week is the week 8th - 14th Dec so roughly comparable to this week and you can see how sales increase over the following weeks...

Xmas 2004

PS2:
98 > 113 > 188 > 207 > 124

GBA SP:
49 > 80 > 190 > 117 > 71

GC:
25 > 30 > 108 > 30 > 20

DS:
199 > 222 > 397 > 210 > 109

PSP:
160 > 85 > 107 > 130 > 62

Pretty much every format increases a lot over the next couple of weeks so if DS is on 300k now, then 500k+ is not out of the question...

ioi

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
You know, I think MKDD may have outsold SC in the US too when you factor in bundles and such.

It did, look at good old http://www.everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/worldtotals.php

Name Console Publisher Japan America Others Total
Mario Kart 64 N64 Nintendo 2.24 5.52 2.11 9.87
Super Mario Kart SNES Nintendo 3.82 3.59 1.35 8.76
Mario Kart: Double Dash GC Nintendo 0.86 3.05 1.55 5.46
Mario Kart: Super Circuit GBA Nintendo 0.92 2.37 1.64 4.93

Rock_Man said:
From dengeki:
360 hardware - 54k
360 software - 52k
Ridge Racer 6 - 24k

DS hardware - 300k
Mario Kart - 222k

#13 Mushi King
#19 Bleach GC
#21 Ridge Racer 6
#24 Geki Sengoku Musou
#27 Perfect Dark Zero
#29 Metal Gear Acid 2
#40 Need for Speed

where is the dude with the line graph?

I want to see this updated :lol :lol

JPHandHeldWar2.jpg

WTF is going on? Five million units for the DS looks absolutely possible witht these numbers :) *WOW indeed*

Mario Kart is a good bit less than I thought, but it will have really good legs (just look at AC: WW). The Mushiking game also flopped a bit, perhaps it will sell healthily the next few weeks as there are no major releases on the DS afaik till the 29th.

Grug

When Nintendo stated before the DS launch that they understood the Handheld Market better than anyone, they weren't fucking kidding. :D

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
norinrad21 said:
FUCKING DS God knows what the Rev would do..........Japan is already in the bag people

:lol :lol :lol
360noselloutscreen0016aa.jpg

:lol:

Whenever I see that image the first thing that springs to mind is the Shifty-eyed dog from The Simpsons :D

shifty.gif

Top Bottom