• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese software sale 5-12 Dec 2005

ioi

Banned
On a Mario Kart note, I think the most impressive example of holiday sales and boosts is shown by Mario Kart 64 9 years ago. MK DS was released about 4-5 days earlier than MK 64 was, but if it can show the same kind of bounce in weeks 2-4 then it'll do well:

Code:
Mario Kart 64 N64 Nintendo 16/12/96 328,750 328,750 
Mario Kart 64 N64 Nintendo 23/12/96 394,750 723,500 
Mario Kart 64 N64 Nintendo 30/12/96 220,500 944,000 
Mario Kart 64 N64 Nintendo 06/01/97 183,750 1,127,750 
Mario Kart 64 N64 Nintendo 13/01/97 69,500 1,197,250 
Mario Kart 64 N64 Nintendo 20/01/97 42,500 1,239,750 
Mario Kart 64 N64 Nintendo 27/01/97 27,250 1,267,000

ioi

Banned
elostyle said:
It's the sequel to a radically different spinoff released not even a year after the first one. I think there are better reasons to condem japanese psp owners for :)

I think mushiking shows this as well. New games in franchises too close to each other. I can't really blame the customers.

I'm surprised slime mori mori has already fallen of the edge of the world already, though.

I think Muski King and Slime have some good legs yet, although they have disappointed so far.. i still think 300k for both is quite possible

ioi

Banned
Another of my useless comparisons, but looking at the three games released around a similar time to Animal Crossing we can make some nice comparisons:

Code:
[b]Week	DK Country 3	Zelda: OOT	Smash Bros DX	Animal Crossing: WW	[/b]
1	279.5	279.5	480.0	480.0	354.8	354.8	375.0	375.0
2	173.8	453.3	163.5	643.5	62.8	417.5	158.5	533.5
3	94.3	547.5	93.5	737.0	54.0	471.5	157.3	690.8
4	101.8	649.3	100.0	837.0	81.8	553.3		690.8
5	164.3	813.5	78.5	915.5	151.3	704.5		690.8
6	135.8	949.3	109.5	1025.0	119.0	823.5		690.8
7	110.0	1059.3	108.5	1133.5	112.8	936.3		690.8
8	48.0	1107.3	47.3	1180.8	25.8	962.0		690.8
9	35.3	1142.5	23.8	1204.5	20.0	982.0		690.8
10	21.3	1163.8	18.0	1222.5	13.8	995.8		690.8

[b]Totals		1760.0		1460.0		1330.0	[/b]

ziran

the really impressive thing about the ds is how well it's sold with new franchises pushing it. i think next year is going to be really big with new super mario bros, ffiii and the long awaited pokemon diamond/pearl!

we might even see aonuma's ds zelda next year :)

ioi

Banned
Found some more info from 2002 when Pokemon was out on GBA:

Dec 9th - 15th
We have brand new game hardware sale figures from Japan today. These sales are from the time between December 9th and December 15th. There is just no stopping the GameBoy Advance. With Pokemon Ruby and Pokemon Sapphire out in Japan, GameBoy Advance systems are selling like crazy! The GameBoy Advance sold 241,600 systems! That makes a total of 2,821,400 GameBoy Advance Systems sold so far this year in Japan. The PlayStation 2 is also doing good right now. It is up in sales from the past few weeks. It sold 115,200 copies. That makes a total of 3,357,200 systems sold during the year. The GameCube saw a HUGE jump this week, all thanks to Zelda! The GameCube sold 67,500 systems this week. That makes a total of 1,052,300 GameCube systems sold this year in Japan. The last of the major systems is the Xbox. It is still having a really tough time in Japan. It did do a bit better this week though, it sold 13,400 systems. But that only brings its total to 296,200 systems this year in Japan. There are the hardware sales for the major systems in Japan. Watch for game sale info to come later this week.

Dec 16th - 22nd
We have our first look at videogame console sales in Japan last week. These numbers may change - if they do, we will let you know. There is just no stopping the GameBoy Advance! It had an AMAZING week! It sold 325,400 systems last week! That makes a total of 3,146,900 systems so far in Japan this year. Behind it was the PlayStation2. It sold 154,000 systems during the week. That makes a total of 3,511,200 systems so far in Japan this year. Next up is the GameCube. It sold 76,900 systems during the week. That makes a total of 1,129,300 systems so far in Japan this year. The Xbox is still having a terrible time in Japan, though this week was an above average week. It sold 16,200 systems during the week. But that only brings its total to 312,400 systems sold so far this year in Japan.

So that's 241.6k for week ending 15th Dec and 325.4k week ending 22nd

Which DS still looks like beating and that was GBA + Pokemon !!

ziran

Drakken said:
Are the hardware #s from Media Create?
the 300k for ds is from dengeki and sinobi blog suggests media create's are close.

i'm not sure where neo's PS2 45,000 and 360 43,000 are from, maybe media create or famitsu.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
neo2046 said:
PSP MGA 2 10,000 +
and there are the only 10,000 people in japan who will be buying this sequel to shittiest game of 2005.

thank god people got a clue. hopefully konami will spend dev money on something more worthwhile next time.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
ioi said:
Found some more info from 2002 when Pokemon was out on GBA:

Dec 9th - 15th

Dec 16th - 22nd

So that's 241.6k for week ending 15th Dec and 325.4k week ending 22nd

Which DS still looks like beating and that was GBA + Pokemon !!
DS monster status confirmed even without Pokemon.... whoa.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Bebpo said:
Out of all the titles released, I'm hoping that Ryu Ga Gotoku is going to have the strongest legs. If it's true that Sega only shipped about 130-150k and sold 90%+ of the shipment, then Ryu Ga Gotoku still has a chance to do 500k+ and break even on the development budget.

Going by Japanese boards and even our RGG thread, it seems like every single person who is picking it up is loving it and telling as many people as they can that it's awesome, which in term is getting others to pick it up and then repeat the cycle. RGG is the type of game that could end up having crazy legs and selling continually for 1-2 months at ~50-100k a week. I really really hope this happens.

Then Sega USA can bring it to the US/Euro and start making money to fund a new game by the development team (I want to see them do a full out brawler based on the core RGG engine :p )
I want to believe this news. I want this game over here. so get to it japagaffers. supprt this title so us unilingual people can buy it.

ioi

Banned
borghe said:
I want to believe this news. I want this game over here. so get to it japagaffers. supprt this title so us unilingual people can buy it.

It looks like a fantastic game and it should definitely be released in the west, but it's not gonna do much more than 300k in Japan I don't think...

Holy snap I was dead wrong! :lol :lol

The DS owns Japan. The effect Animal Crossing has had on its sales is truly impressive. This game is selling hardware like Nintendogs and Brain Training did in times past. And the onslaught is not over: Brain Training 2 is going out in a week or so. It's pretty safe to say that the DS is king.

And the ownage isn't stopping anytime soon. Children of Mana will be out in Feburary, and of course Zelda DS, Tales, FF3, FF:CC, Super Mario Bros. and of course POKEMON will be on the way.

shigerumiyamoto-satoruiwata-01.jpg

"Next gen is over being it even starts!"

ioi

Banned
elostyle said:
Brain Training 2 is up after christmas, right?

29th along with Mario & Luigi 2

Who'd have thought the DS would have done so well?

Already we will have:

6 Potential million Sellers
Animal Crossing
Brain Training
Nintendogs
Brain Training 2
Gentle Brain Training
Mario Kart DS

6 games selling 500k+
Wario Ware Touched (almost a million)
Super Mario 64 DS
Jump Super Stars
Mario & Luigi 2
Tamogotchi
Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon

In Just over a year!!

And as we've said:

Pokemon
New Mario Bros
Final Fantasy
Zelda

Etc etc... and the more I look at it Animal Crossing really is doing crazy numbers it could even get close to 2 million if it keeps it up and who knows how (if) Brain Training 2 will affect the original's sales?

Look back again at that list of million sellers. I certainly wouldn't have thought any of them apart from Mario Kart would have stood a chance. I think most people thought this year for DS would be slow until Pokemon, Mario Bros and co come along but to think that two brand new franchises in Nintendogs and Brain Training along with Animal Crossing would have done so well and pushed DS sales so much?

The amount of people who laughed at the DS when it came out but I think it really has started to bring in a whole new audience. It has definitely eaten into GBA sales in Japan, however I think Nintendo's "three pillars" idea is working for them so far!!

I think the only region in which the DS is really struggling at the moment is the USA. Even the UK sales have gone crazy (see the UK thread where DS is currently selling about 2/3 of what the PS2 did in it's BEST year in the UK- that is just unheard of in the UK) and this is mirrored all across Europe.

ioi

Banned
Here's a nice post from last year along the same lines as above:

http://www.ga-forum.com/showpost.php?p=872413&postcount=36

Notice the quote:

less than 250k

Nintendo
-Nintendogs (DS)

I could be being a bit harsh on some of Nintendo's new games. They're unknown quantities but maybe Nintendogs will be huge.

What ever happened to Kirby GC out of interest? Was it canned? Odama?

I think it's safe to say the GC is pretty dead in Japan, even Mario Party I think will struggle to bounce back as much this year (maybe 60-70k for a couple of weeks, 450k or so total), kirby maybe 500k if it does well and who knows about Zelda?

ziran

ioi said:
What ever happened to Kirby GC out of interest? Was it canned? Odama?
odama is due for release in NA March 6th, 2006 according to ign. don't know about kirby gc, we haven't heard anything since e3.

ioi said:
29th along with Mario & Luigi 2

Who'd have thought the DS would have done so well?

Already we will have:

6 Potential million Sellers
Animal Crossing
Brain Training
Nintendogs
Brain Training 2
Gentle Brain Training
Mario Kart DS

6 games selling 500k+
Wario Ware Touched (almost a million)
Super Mario 64 DS
Jump Super Stars
Mario & Luigi 2
Tamogotchi
Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon

In Just over a year!!

And as we've said:

Pokemon
New Mario Bros
Final Fantasy
Zelda

Etc etc... and the more I look at it Animal Crossing really is doing crazy numbers it could even get close to 2 million if it keeps it up and who knows how (if) Brain Training 2 will affect the original's sales?

Look back again at that list of million sellers. I certainly wouldn't have thought any of them apart from Mario Kart would have stood a chance. I think most people thought this year for DS would be slow until Pokemon, Mario Bros and co come along but to think that two brand new franchises in Nintendogs and Brain Training along with Animal Crossing would have done so well and pushed DS sales so much?

The amount of people who laughed at the DS when it came out but I think it really has started to bring in a whole new audience. It has definitely eaten into GBA sales in Japan, however I think Nintendo's "three pillars" idea is working for them so far!!

I think the only region in which the DS is really struggling at the moment is the USA. Even the UK sales have gone crazy (see the UK thread where DS is currently selling about 2/3 of what the PS2 did in it's BEST year in the UK- that is just unheard of in the UK) and this is mirrored all across Europe.

Yeah, that is true. In one year Nintendo introduced two new IPs that became huge hits with Nintendogs and Brain Training. This never happened with the Gamecube for instance. Very impressive.

Software sales have been strong across the board. Even some third party games have seen great sales, like Tomagatchi. Next year the third party support will be even stronger, as developers see the DS is a true beast. FF3, FF:CC, Tales of the Tempest, Children of Mana, and many more are going to be sure fire hits. It's going to be very interesting.

Mrbob

Ceb said:
Re: Rogue Galaxy's Japanese sales

Originally Posted by Bebpo:
heh, I still stand by the idea that in Japan (and probably the west as well) quality has no effect on game sales ;)

So I still believe in the bomba for this game.

Originally Posted by Jonnyram:
Yes, this game will definitely bomb, regardless of whether it is good or not.
But it looks like I'll be getting it, at least

Owned. :D

Ahahah, Rogue Galaxy haters owned.

Rogue Galaxy > Ryo no GOTU or whatever it is

Spike said:
Yup. Considering that the PS2 has an install base about 2x/3x/4x the DS install base, outselling Mario Kart by gpara's 19,000 or dengeki's 5,000 difference really says something.

Damage control.

Brand new franchise versus established franchise.

BTW this has nothing to do with Nintendo, MS, Sony. I've put in over 200 hours between Dark Cloud and Dark Cloud 2. Great games. Seeing Rogue Galaxy dominate the competition is great to see. :D

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Where are Drinky and Drohne the Nintendo hating Duo when you really want them around?

I guess Mrbob can hold things down till reinforcements arrive! :lol

AniHawk

Mrbob said:
Ahahah, Rogue Galaxy haters owned.

Rogue Galaxy > Ryo no GOTU or whatever it is

Damage control.

Brand new franchise versus established franchise.

BTW this has nothing to do with Nintendo, MS, Sony. I've put in over 200 hours between Dark Cloud and Dark Cloud 2. Great games. Seeing Rogue Galaxy dominate the competition is great to see. :D

Dark Cloud sucks something fierce. It's one of the most fucking terrible games of the generation.

Dragon Quest VIII was fantastic though. I forgot it was Level 5 (which was part of the reason I initially held off) until I played it for a while (I always missed the company logo at the beginning). I really look forward to Rogue Galaxy.

Mrbob

Dark Cloud is a great game which is very rough around the edges.

Dark Cloud 2 is brilliant.

Rogue Galaxy will be the best. :D

AniHawk

Mrbob said:
Dark Cloud is a great game which is very rough around the edges.

I like my explanation much better.

Random dungeons that are still basically the same? SHIT
Thirst system? SHIT
Weapons break (AND OFTEN)? SHIT
status effects that really suck? CHECK
Story? BORING

The rebuilding the world thing was its only saving grace, as they made a puzzle out of it, and made you talk to people that helped give you hints. Otherwise, it was pretty unspectacular and a colossal letdown.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
AniHawk said:
Dark Cloud sucks something fierce. It's one of the most fucking terrible games of the generation.

Dragon Quest VIII was fantastic though. I forgot it was Level 5 (which was part of the reason I initially held off) until I played it for a while (I always missed the company logo at the beginning). I really look forward to Rogue Galaxy.
Dark Cloud may had some flaws

but Dark Cloud 2 rocked that game is awesome IMO.

Khalid-S

DS Games for the First 2 monthes in Japan :

DS Yakitate Japan 2006-01-12
DS Zettai Zetsumei Dangerous Jiisan 2006-01-14
DS Biohazard Deadly Silence 2006-01-19
DS Iron Feather 2006-01-19
DS Kero Kero 7 2006-01-19
DS Lost Magic 2006-01-19
DS Metroid Prime Pinball 2006-01-19
DS Bleach 2006-01-26
DS Danshaku [Nanostray] 2006-01-26
DS Eigo ga Nigatena Otona no DS Training: Eigozuke 2006-01-26

DS Eyeshield 21: Max Devil Power 2006-02-02
DS Hippatte! Puzzle Bobble 2006-02-02
DS Freedom Wings 2006-02-09
DS Unou no Tatsujin! Machigai Museum 2006-02-09
DS Kono Quiz Yarou!! 2006-02-16
DS Angelique Duet 2006-02
DS Contact 2006-02
DS Children of MANA 2-23
DS sangokushi 2-23-2006

bold games may sell good # :)

Mrbob

AniHawk said:
I like my explanation much better.

Random dungeons that are still basically the same? SHIT
Thirst system? SHIT
Weapons break (AND OFTEN)? SHIT
status effects that really suck? CHECK
Story? BORING

You suck at the game? Check. :D

Those aren't real complaints at all except for the story. Well weapon and thirst is if you aren't prepared. The rebuilding is the best. :D 100+ level bonus dungeon ftw.

You should play Dark Cloud 2.

AniHawk

Mrbob said:
100+ level bonus dungeon ftw.

A better bonus would've been twice your money back.

Thirst and weapon system were terrible. I was pretty good at the game, but it just got really fucking annoying to have to replenish thirst or get a new weapon every couple dungeon levels. Also, the dungeons could've been much better designed. It really felt like walking into the same room over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

I've played Dark Cloud 2. Just a little at the beginning until you escape the city. Then I traded it for The Getaway (which was much worse)

milanbaros

Member?
Nintendo has created a beast in the DS. Its design is just asking for a remodel as well.

What are the software sales and tie ratios of the two handhelds in japan now?

AniHawk said:
A better bonus would've been twice your money back.

Thirst and weapon system were terrible. I was pretty good at the game, but it just got really fucking annoying to have to replenish thirst or get a new weapon every couple dungeon levels. Also, the dungeons could've been much better designed. It really felt like walking into the same room over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

I've played Dark Cloud 2. Just a little at the beginning until you escape the city. Then I traded it for The Getaway (which was much worse)

I feel pretty much exactly the same was as you do, Ani.

I also hated the areas in the dungeons where you had to use a specific character to cross. It's been a long time since I played it, but I remember having to switch between characters to jump or hammer something (can't really remember). I put in a good # of hours, but finally just grew really tired of it.

I never tried DC2, but I hear it's a vast improvement. Level 5's come a long way, but anyone who thinks the original Dark Cloud is "awesome" has a serious lack of taste in gaming. Good, ok, pretty fun...sure. Awesome? No. Take away the town design mode and you will have the most generic game since ... i don't know.

If a remodeled DS has as many bonuses as what an SP brought to Classic GBA...

Expect the country of japan to explode and split into many pieces, as the impact of gamers running to stores will cause cracks in the country.

polg

PezRadar said:

Expect the country of japan to explode and split into many pieces, as the impact of gamers running to stores will cause cracks in the country.

:lol :lol :lol
:lol :lol
:lol
:lol :lol
:lol :lol :lol

cvxfreak

PezRadar said:

I can think of some:

1. Extended battery life
2. Stronger Wifi
3. GB/GBC compatibility
4. Full GBA link up compatibility

FTW

human5892

Queen of Denmark
CVXFREAK said:
I can think of some:

1. Extended battery life
2. Stronger Wifi
3. GB/GBC compatibility
5. Screens that are the same as the SP+

FTW
Added one for ya. That's what I'm waiting for, although it becomes harder as the DS love grows every day...

Yamauchi

Banned
Animal Crossing has better legs than I expected. This game will sell more than one million. Isn't the week after Christmas traditionally the highest selling for the gaming industry in Japan? The numbers should keep being huge.

polg

I'd be happy if it was thinner... and better materials... and speakers that don't buzz when music is low...

Mrbob

Acid 2 will probably bomba in NA too.

Was Acid 2 too expensive with the Solid Eye attachment?

If GBC can get a real Metal Gear Solid game, so should PSP. I hope PSP Metal Gear games aren't relegated to card games.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
DS Games for the First 2 monthes in Japan :

DS Yakitate Japan 2006-01-12
DS Zettai Zetsumei Dangerous Jiisan 2006-01-14
DS Biohazard Deadly Silence 2006-01-19
DS Iron Feather 2006-01-19
DS Kero Kero 7 2006-01-19
DS Lost Magic 2006-01-19
DS Metroid Prime Pinball 2006-01-19
DS Bleach 2006-01-26
DS Danshaku [Nanostray] 2006-01-26
DS Eigo ga Nigatena Otona no DS Training: Eigozuke 2006-01-26

DS Eyeshield 21: Max Devil Power 2006-02-02
DS Hippatte! Puzzle Bobble 2006-02-02
DS Freedom Wings 2006-02-09
DS Unou no Tatsujin! Machigai Museum 2006-02-09
DS Kono Quiz Yarou!! 2006-02-16
DS Angelique Duet 2006-02
DS Contact 2006-02
DS Children of MANA 2-23
DS sangokushi 2-23-2006

bold games that may sell imo :)

Spike said:
Bullshit, and you know it. After DQ8, was there any doubt that RG wouldn't sell?

I didn't know of my bullshit, but thanks for pointing it out. I honestly thought Mario Kart would've easily beaten RG considering it's a freaking major franchise on the DS, which is selling like a mofugga, but whatever.

B E N K E

CVXFREAK said:
I can think of some:

1. Extended battery life
2. Stronger Wifi
3. GB/GBC compatibility

FTW

Maybe this is already a given, but better design would be on top of my list. The other stuff is just superficial... :D

jett

D-Member
If you HATE Dark Cloud 2, I don't think you'll like RG much. The item-management system(probably what people like the least of DC2, aside from being a dungeon crawler) of DC2 seems to have carried over to RG from the vids I've seen. I'm not too excited about the game, and hell I liked DC2...but to me that game is borderline unplayable now.

p.s. BUY DQ8

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
BuzzJive said:
I'm amazed at how politely you answer this question every week. Every. Single. Week.
I'm just a nice guy. :)

BTW here are the exact SW numbers.

1 PS2 Rogue Galaxy :237,631
2 DS Mario Kart DS :219,391
3 PS2 Ryu Ga Gotoku : 134,521
4 DS Animal Crossing :121,457 (577,278)
5 PS2 Momotaro :65,334
6 DS Pokemon Dungeon :64,475 (273,434)
7 PS2 Biohazard 4 :63,698 (306,576)
8 PSP Monster Hunter PSP :63,009 (176,649)
9 GBA Pokemon Dungeon :61,648 (270,955)
10 DS Tamagotchi :47,905 (473,176)

Top Bottom