• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese software sale 5-12 Dec 2005

Yamauchi

Banned
Culex said:
Sales were simply INSANE for the DS!

Chart updated again :)

JPHandHeldWar3.jpg

This week saw more milestones hit for the DS, too. It has now sold over 4 million units, just over one year from it's initial launch!

Also, since the launch of Nintendogs, the DS has now outsold the PSP by over one million units.
A beautiful chart.

heidern

Izzy said:
So I was right about the PSP number...it WAS lower than the last week's..
Your 50K prediction wasn't that close. My prediction that sales would be within 15% of the previous weeks sales was closer, spot on actually. ;)

299,328 DS
207,820 Everything else :lol

Here's something even funnier:
x360 launch hardware sales 43,970,
xbox launch hardware sales 106,867
x360 launch software sales 47,191
xbox launch software sales 156,601
x360 launch tie-ratio 1.07
xbox launch tie-ratio 1.47

All these DS sales, and older catalouge games arent getting too much of a boost?
That's just wrong, totally and utterly wrong. Tanagotchi got boosted to almost 50K for the week. Other games also got boosted. Here's the chart look, remember as well that sales for everything are boosted due to the holidays. Woof, woof, Nintendogs looks like it could be over 40K combined this week:

2 DS Mario Kart DS ¥4,800 219,391
4 DS Animal Forest ¥4,800 121,457
6 DS Pokemon Dungeon Blue ¥4,800 64,475
8 PSP Monster hunter portable ¥5,040 63,009
10 DS Tamagotchi ¥5,040 47,905
11 DS Brain Training ¥2,800
12 DS Gentle Logic Puzzles ¥2,800

14 DS Mushiking ¥5,040
17 DS Dragon ball Z ¥5,040
18 PSP Samurai Warriors Rip off edition ¥8,190
19 DS Dare demo ¥3,800
23 DS Slime Mori Mori ¥4,990
26 PSP Metal gear acid 2 ¥5,229
31 DS Pokemon Tourouze¥3,800
33 DS Harvest Moon for Girls ¥5,040
34 DS Nintendogs ¥4,800
36 DS Nintendogs chihuahua ¥4,800
37 DS Nintendogs ¥4,800

38 PSP Hot shots golf ¥2,800
39 PSP Brain Training ¥2,940
41 DS Powerpro baseball 8 ¥5,229
44 DS Peach? ¥4,800
46 PSP TALKMAN ETC SCE 051117 ¥6,090
50 DS MaxHeart DANZEN! large battle! ! Bandai ¥5,040

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Wow, the question is where does it go from here. The chart tells us that a falloff of >50% is close to impossible and as we are getting closer to christmas....could it sell more next week even without new releases?

Wow, a strong finish for the braintrainings.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
heidern said:
I noticed that in the notes but was waiting to post the full notes once it's up on MC's English page.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
heidern said:
That's just wrong, totally and utterly wrong. Tanagotchi got boosted to almost 50K for the week. Other games also got boosted. Here's the chart look, remember as well that sales for everything are boosted due to the holidays. Woof, woof, Nintendogs looks like it could be over 40K combined this week:

But i said besides Nintendongs, brain traing, and etc :)

I meant like, Super Princess Peach, and Feel the magic 2, and viewtiful joe, and goemon, and ya know, all those OTHER Ds games that arent Nintendo nongames. Or Nintendo games period. :)

littlewig

Banned
John Harker said:

I meant like, Super Princess Peach, and Feel the magic 2, and viewtiful joe, and goemon, and ya know, all those OTHER Ds games that arent Nintendo nongames. Or Nintendo games period. :)

Most retailer in Japan probably don't bother getting more than the initial shipment for a title unless it is a strong seller. There is a reason why those games don't get back on the chart, they aren't in ready stock.

heidern

John Harker said:

And how do you know they didn't get boosted at all? Sometimes even the top 10 games don't all manage to sell over 10K in a week. This week there could be something like 40 games over 10K. That's on top of Mario Kart, Animal Crossing and Pokemon Dungeon Red selling over 400,000 units combined. Hardly a poor showing.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Could the 500k for Brain Training 2 week be cracked? Or am I dreaming?

Soul4ger

I can't imagine the DS selling more than 200K next week, even with the holidays coming up. The week after, maybe, given that's New Year's, but.. It's going to drop off, a little bit.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
I don't think Brain Trainig 2 is going to move much hardware. If you'd want a Braintraining game and would buy a system for it then you would just get the first one.

heidern

VOOK said:
Could the 500k for Brain Training 2 week be cracked? Or am I dreaming?
All bets are off when it comes to Brain Training 2. The first sequel to a hit game often does wonders. Look at Halo 2 or even Animal Crossing Wild World. Being released in the peak sales week with a no doubt major marketing push 500K is not impossible.

Culex

Banned
Media Create's english page has a full paragraph dedicated to the Xbox 360 launch, yet not ONE word about the DS and it's sales.

?

fatty

mj1108 said:
Where's MrBob at to spin this now? :lol
:lol
nintendo3rdparty.jpg

Thanks, Culex. That chart is awesome.

On a "fatty is retarded" note, I kept thinking that Rogue Galaxy was a Star Wars game and kept reading "Factor 5" instead of "Level 5" and was thinking "WTH?"

:lol :lol

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Culex said:
Media Create's english page has a full paragraph dedicated to the Xbox 360 launch, yet not ONE word about the DS and it's sales.

?
Because they see it as the new normal. :D

The notes.
Sales of the top 100 titles amounted to 1,779,261 units, 147.89% of last week's total and 223.83% of the weekly average.

Xbox 360 had hardware sales of 43,970 units and total software sales of 47,191 units, with an attach rate of 1.07. (Xbox following its launch had hardware sales of 106,867 units and total software sales of 156,601 units, with an attach rate of 1.47.) In addition to Xbox 360's insufficient lineup of six simultaneously released software titles, it appears that results were strongly affected by the postponed launch of the software "DEAD OR ALIVE 4 (DOA4)," which was scheduled to be simultaneously released with the initial hardware. One can expect that hardware sales will grow significantly if "DOA4" is launched, so future movements will be something to watch.

Twenty-one new releases took spots in the top 100, accounting for 49.01% of sales. Top-ranked "Rogue Galaxy," followed by "Mario Kart DS" and "Ryu ga Gotoku," saw strong sales of more than 100,000 units. These and numerous other new titles, including "Momotaro Railway 15" and "BLEACH GC," boosted the market.

Spike

Sholmes said:
I didn't know of my bullshit, but thanks for pointing it out. I honestly thought Mario Kart would've easily beaten RG considering it's a freaking major franchise on the DS, which is selling like a mofugga, but whatever.

Sorry to have lashed out like that. I usually don't do that.

What I should have said is that I didn't find it outrageous that Rogue Galaxy outsold Mario Kart. I mean, Level 5 is now well known from DQ8, and with such a huge install base of the PS2 over the DS, to have only sold between 5,000-19,000 copies more, isn't that great.

And because DQ8 is so damn popular in Japan, you just know that the fans would be anticipating the next title from the team that helped to develop it.

Regardless, they both did well. Is RG announced for a release over here?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
mj1108 said:
Where's MrBob at to spin this now? :lol

"Only babies play handhelds, anyway. Console gaming is where it's at!!"

*looks at PS2 sales*

"....in the U.S!"

Can't wait to see the week when da new Mario and Pokemon launch. :D

Hero

AniHawk said:
I don't think anyone besides Nintendo really predicted it to be THIS successful. This is PS2/GBA levels right here. This is insane. Insane I tell you. Insane.

I would do some searching for old posts of yours back before Nintendogs came out, but it's so close to Christmas and I want to be nice. That and MightyHedgehog still owes me five dollars. :p

This is incredible though, 1/3 of a million units in a single week. Absolutely crazy.

Iwata and Miyamato must be laughing in their money vaults.

If I were Sony, I'd start worrying. If the Revolution follows in the success of the DS, then I can't wait to see the shit fly here.

Edit:

Culex, you still haven't listed Easter in your chart.

Can't you just put it in brackets after the "X Consecutive Weeks of DS outselling PSP?"

:p

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
heidern said:
And how do you know they didn't get boosted at all? Sometimes even the top 10 games don't all manage to sell over 10K in a week. This week there could be something like 40 games over 10K. That's on top of Mario Kart, Animal Crossing and Pokemon Dungeon Red selling over 400,000 units combined. Hardly a poor showing.

I didn't say they didn't get "boosteed at all."

But when you get hardware sales suddently spiking to 200k and then 300k and just going up like that, youd also expect some kind of similiar incline in catalouge sales of high rated games.

I'm not saying this didn't occur, I just think its intersting to NOTE that the only games getting huge noticebly sales are the nongames that have been welling well all along, like Nintendogs and Brain Training, and Tomagochi (though I know that can be argued) and etc.

I mean, so you can't blame sales of Peach and Castlevania and Sonic and Viewtiful Joe as being poor because of "so much competioton" or "lack of stock" or whatever and have these huge sales spikes in hardware and not see these games move more units, if they were truly "good" games - and in my first post I note how third party traditonal games aren't fairing well because Nintendo is really creating a UNIUQE fanbase with the DS as is evidence by which games are selling in the backend and which arent.

Don't get so offended :)

mutsu

Spike said:
What I should have said is that I didn't find it outrageous that Rogue Galaxy outsold Mario Kart. I mean, Level 5 is now well known from DQ8, and with such a huge install base of the PS2 over the DS, to have only sold between 5,000-19,000 copies more, isn't that great.

And the fact that RPGs usually sell about 80% of its life time sales in the first week means that Mario Kart DS will continue to dominate on from here to become a million seller (very likely).

And oh yeah, when do you guys think "Japan DS sales > PSP worldwide sales" will happen? Or will it ever happen?

GDGF

Soothsayer
Oh my fuck @ NDS numbers. Remember that I (as Lost Weekend and GDGF) predicted that the NDS would soundly smash the PSP at retail (since before they were offered at retail, actually) and even I was not thinking this level of ownage. 2 maybe 2.5 to one perhaps...but this!

:lol Soothsayer?

monkeyrun

heidern said:
Your 50K prediction wasn't that close. My prediction that sales would be within 15% of the previous weeks sales was closer, spot on actually. ;)

299,328 DS
207,820 Everything else :lol

that totally over shadowed the "wow-factor" of the DS number

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Oblivion said:
I just realized the spike in Xbox sales. What the hell happened here?
Statistical noise.

heidern

John Harker said:
I'm not saying this didn't occur, I just think its intersting to NOTE that the only games getting huge noticebly sales are the nongames that have been welling well all along, like Nintendogs and Brain Training, and Tomagochi (though I know that can be argued) and etc.

I note how third party traditonal games aren't fairing well because Nintendo is really creating a UNIUQE fanbase with the DS as is evidence by which games are selling in the backend and which arent.

Don't get so offended :)

I'm not getting offended, it's just that you're looking at this the wrong way. Yes only things like Tamagotchi are getting noticeable increases are games that are in and around the previous few weeks charts. Yes we can't see any increases for the likes of Warioware Touch. I'm just saying it doesn't mean that they haven't increased. Warioware Touch may have gone up from selling 400 copies last week to 4000 copies this week. But we can't know that since it doesn't make the charts.

As for the unique fanbase bit, to some extent I agree. But look at the sales of Mario Kart and Pokemon Dungeon. The traditional audience is also there, just that 3rd parties are doing a crappy job of taking advantage of it. I don't know why, Mushiking and Slime Mori Mori I would have expected to do really well, especially at this time of year. Maybe there's mass mismarketing or perhaps the competition from Nintendo is a bit too tough for them to get breakout success.

Hero said:
Xbox 360 bombed harder than Xbox 1. Tsk tsk.

You're looking at this the wrong way, you need to look at things in a positive light, life is better that way. What has actually happened is that the launch of the xbox 360 has made the launch of the xbox 1 seem like a huge success.

AirBrian

Culex said:

JPHandHeldWar3.jpg

This week saw more milestones hit for the DS, too. It has now sold over 4 million units, just over one year from it's initial launch!

Also, since the launch of Nintendogs, the DS has now outsold the PSP by over one million units.
Damn.

Seriously, damn!

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Has Microsoft ever really been tested with delivering a sustained large supply of Xboxen? Thier "piecemeal" design of consoel hardware may prevent them from ever having a breakout period of big, big sales.

[/wishful thinking]

AniHawk

Sold-through numbers:

DS
Japan: 4.25 million
US: 2.7 million...?
UK: 775k
TOTAL: 7.725 million

That's without Canada (probably 250k-300k), the rest of PALland (the rest of Europe + Australia). Japan is what's really carrying them though. Good God.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
AniHawk said:
Sold-through numbers:

DS
UK: 775k
TOTAL: 7.725 million

That's without Canada (probably 250k-300k), the rest of PALland (the rest of Europe + Australia). Japan is what's really carrying them though. Good God.
Hmmm... with the rest of the world the DS could've sold about 10 million by now. Wow.

AniHawk

jj984jj said:
Hmmm... with the rest of the world the DS could've sold about 10 million by now. Wow.

Well.. probably not. I bet they're at 9 million or so now, which would still be impressive considering the slow start EVERYWHERE.

Gahiggidy

AniHawk said:
Sold-through numbers:

DS
^^^
Evidence that Leo Burnett doesn't know how to sell Nintendo.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
AniHawk said:
Well.. probably not. I bet they're at 9 million or so now, which would still be impressive considering the slow start EVERYWHERE.
I think it has because we're not including all of Europe here, or all of Asia, or Australia, or even Canada. Maybe it's very close, but I wouldn't doubt it if someone told me that the DS has sold over 10 million worldwide.

littlewig

Banned
Nintendo stated they sold over 2 million units in Europe back in Oct I believe.

Europe: > 2 million
TOTAL: 8.95 million

Add in recent sales of DS in europe, and canada, you're reaching the 10 million mark. If DS doesn't sell anymore units elsewhere in the world, Japan is gaurenteed to push it over the 10 million mark.

Culex

Banned
Hero said:
I would do some searching for old posts of yours back before Nintendogs came out, but it's so close to Christmas and I want to be nice. That and MightyHedgehog still owes me five dollars. :p

This is incredible though, 1/3 of a million units in a single week. Absolutely crazy.

Iwata and Miyamato must be laughing in their money vaults.

If I were Sony, I'd start worrying. If the Revolution follows in the success of the DS, then I can't wait to see the shit fly here.

Edit:

Culex, you still haven't listed Easter in your chart.

Can't you just put it in brackets after the "X Consecutive Weeks of DS outselling PSP?"

:p

Fine, I changed it. :D

I know in the US Mario Kart is peaking with about 200,000-235,000 people online as of late.. according to dsmeet.com which has graphs they take from NintendoWifi.com's database

Animal crossing they say is the same amount.. 200-225,000 (whcih is about 100k more then i saw last week)

And Tony hawk is around 5000-10000

GhaleonEB

Culex said:

JPHandHeldWar3.jpg

Holy damn. The more I see the DS romp all over the technically more powerful "multimedia" player that is the PSP, the more I think lots of folks here are going to get fuck-owned when the Revolution starts doing serious numbers. Including me. :(

fresquito

littlewig said:
Nintendo stated they sold over 2 million units in Europe back in Oct I believe.

Europe: > 2 million
TOTAL: 8.95 million

Add in recent sales of DS in europe, and canada, you're reaching the 10 million mark. If DS doesn't sell anymore units elsewhere in the world, Japan is gaurenteed to push it over the 10 million mark.
Reports are saying DS is selling strongly, in Spain at least, being the Nintendogs pack a no brainer. In fact the game and packs are almost sold out through the whole country. I hope this trend is happening in the rest of europe as well.

apotema

I wonder if a company like SquareEnix has something to save PSP's ass or to consolidate DS domain, like a Kingdom Hearts for the system or a real Dragon Quest

Wada from Square Enix has always said they'll release Dragon Quest for the system with the highest userbase, imagine if they announce it for DS

Culex

Banned
apotema said:
I wonder if a company like SquareEnix has something to save PSP's ass or to consolidate DS domain, like a Kingdom Hearts for the system or a real Dragon Quest

Wada from Square Enix has always said they'll release Dragon Quest for the system with the highest userbase, imagine if they announce it for DS

Valkyrie

Top Bottom