• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese software sale 5-12 Dec 2005

monkeyrun

apotema said:
I wonder if a company like SquareEnix has something to save PSP's ass or to consolidate DS domain, like a Kingdom Hearts for the system or a real Dragon Quest

Wada from Square Enix has always said they'll release Dragon Quest for the system with the highest userbase, imagine if they announce it for DS
I think DS will be a save bet for SE's main franchise for this gen.

PezRadar said:
I know in the US Mario Kart is peaking with about 200,000-235,000 people online as of late.. according to dsmeet.com which has graphs they take from NintendoWifi.com's database

Animal crossing they say is the same amount.. 200-225,000 (whcih is about 100k more then i saw last week)

And Tony hawk is around 5000-10000

Take away 3 zeros and youre gold.

Meier

Culex said:
Valkyrie

I know you're just indicating them throwing a big game in the PSP's direction (although I wouldn't put it on par with a new Kingdom Hearts), but I really am not that sure VP will move many systems or sell all that many copies for that matter. It'll do well compared to other PSP titles, but it won't even be in the same ballpark as some of the major DS titles.

neo2046 said:
awesome! :D

anyone has the YTD/LTD numbers for other consoles?? :)
topsa2.jpg

(http://www.nintendojofr.com/redaction/nouvelles/?id=htXQ)
It misses PS2 Media Create sales for 2000 and 2001, and GBA & GC Media Create sales for 2001, for LTD.

Chrono

Banned
Wow @ DS sales. O_O

BTW, how do you guys think DS will manage once PS3 hits the market in spring (assuming it does)? Drop or continue to sell just as well along side it? For all Nintendo's talk about expanding the market it should keep doing well if their plan is succeeding.

I might have to give up and buy a DS next spring if new super mario bros. comes out. Right now I'm waiting for the re-design but there are just too many games out. I already imported Quendan to play it when I do get a DS. -_-

monkeyrun

Chrono said:
Wow @ DS sales. O_O

BTW, how do you guys think DS will manage once PS3 hits the market in spring (assuming it does)? Drop or continue to sell just as well along side it? For all Nintendo's talk about expanding the market it should keep doing well if their plan is succeeding.
I think the only thing that could affect DS's sales is Revolution. PS3 will probably affect PSP sales.

mutsu

Culex said:
Valkyrie

I don't see how VP can save the PSP either. I mean, it's just another port, albeit a more special one, right? Doesn't the PSP have enough ports/remakes/enhanced-version/whatever-you-want-to-call-it yet?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Culex said:
Valkyrie

doubtful as much as I love VP I highly doubt the game is going to save the PSP's ass.

only way PSP could be save is be having a remake of a DQ or something that big. again this is highly unlikely to happen SE would release the remake on the DS first because of the larger userbase which brings me to some wishful thinking....

I think a remake of DQ6 (only DQ that haven't gotten ported or remade iirc... I could be wrong though) for DS is possible and I'll not be surprised if it happens.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
GhaleonEB said:
Holy damn. The more I see the DS romp all over the technically more powerful "multimedia" player that is the PSP, the more I think lots of folks here are going to get fuck-owned when the Revolution starts doing serious numbers. Including me. :(
Its ok... no matter what happens, Rare will still make games for 360.

wazoo

nine words said:
Reports are saying DS is selling strongly, in Spain at least, being the Nintendogs pack a no brainer. In fact the game and packs are almost sold out through the whole country. I hope this trend is happening in the rest of europe as well.

It is. In france, I will not receive my Nintendogs from Amazon no sooner than January :(

Monk

Banned
I think you guys are taking this out of context. The psp and ds are not competing against each other, the psp is aimed at gamers 13+ while the ds is aiming for the rest of the possible market.

The same thing will happen with the Rev, it will mainly be a kids and other users console. Not for gamers. You will get the games for you with the 360 and PS3 and others will get games for them on the Rev. It's win win, there is nothing to gloat or be sad about. :)

Sunski

Monk said:
I think you guys are taking this out of context. The psp and ds are not competing against each other, the psp is aimed at gamers 13+ while the ds is aiming for the rest of the possible market.

Yeah like that would be said if PSP was stomping on DS balls.

cvxfreak

So... anyone think each Pokemon Dungeon game can break 500K? (effectively reaching a million) I think Pokemon's providing an excellent back up title for Mario Kart DS and Animal Crossing, along with Mushiking and Slime Morimori.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Monk said:

The same thing will happen with the Rev, it will mainly be a kids and other users console. Not for gamers. You will get the games for you with the 360 and PS3 and others will get games for them on the Rev. It's win win, there is nothing to gloat or be sad about. :)

Still buying that PR talk, eh? ;)

Whether you, Nintendo, Sony or anyone else want to admit it or not, the DS IS competeting with the PSP. Just like how the Rev WILL be competeting with the PS3 and Xbox360, even though Nintendo says otherwise.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Error2k4 said:
doubtful as much as I love VP I highly doubt the game is going to save the PSP's ass.

only way PSP could be save is be having a remake of a DQ or something that big. again this is highly unlikely to happen SE would release the remake on the DS first because of the larger userbase which brings me to some wishful thinking....

I think a remake of DQ6 (only DQ that haven't gotten ported or remade iirc... I could be wrong though) for DS is possible and I'll not be surprised if it happens.

Save PSP? If by saving it you mean beating DS sales that won't happen. When Diamond & Pearl hits the insane DS buying will continue or even rise, when you look at sales of ordinary games for DS the core GBA audience hasn't quite switched to DS yet, when PokeMon hits they'll all be coming in massively.

Striek

Azelover said:
Is Sony making money with the PSP yet?
When weren't they?
I've tried searching this, but it seems that their is no source on what it costs them to make it. Everyone just expects they're losing money on it, because it seems so expensive.
As Engadget says:
"We’re sure Sony is losing a few hundred bucks off each unit sold as the PSP easily feels like it’s worth $400 of gadgetry (when compared to portable video and audio players and the DS)."
Gamespy:
"Sony is surely losing a ton of money on the PSP."
People estimated $400-500+ for US launch. But there never has been any word on what it costs to make.
The internet astounds me sometimes.

Jonnyram

sinobi says Abyss is selling better than Legendia but may not sell as much as Rebirth.
He also says FFIVa looks set to sell 100k in the first week, including the bundle.
New IP, such as Karakuri and Exit, is not selling too well though.

Fischbrot

AniHawk said:
Sold-through numbers:

DS
Japan: 4.25 million
US: 2.7 million...?
UK: 775k
TOTAL: 7.725 million

That's without Canada (probably 250k-300k), the rest of PALland (the rest of Europe + Australia). Japan is what's really carrying them though. Good God.

Germany NDS 400k, Nintendogs 250k and Mario Kart DS 100k

Sorry, German:

DS-Spiel Nintendogs der Topseller in diesem Jahr

Während der DS Woche für Woche in Japan die Spitzenposition in den Verkaufscharts einnimmt und mittlerweile auch bereits im dritten Monat vor der PlayStation Portable in den USA ist, gibt es jetzt Zahlen aus Deutschland. Insgesamt wurden bislang etwa 400.000 Einheiten abgesetzt, davon allein in den letzten drei Wochen 150.000. Besonders beeindruckend ist der Erfolg von Nintendogs. Ganze 250.000 Käufer konnte das Spiel für sich gewinnen. Das heißt, dass mehr als die Hälfte der DS Besitzer auch Nintendogs ihr Eigen nennen.

Mario Kart DS, der frisch erschienene Hit für das Weihnachtsgeschäft hat ebenfalls bereits jetzt eindrucksvolle Zahlen vorzuweisen. Mit 100.000 abgesetzten Einheiten sind bereits ein Viertel der DS Spieler mit Mario Kart versorgt. Nintendo ist glücklich, mit dem Nintendo DS und dem Game Boy Advance die zwei Spitzenplätze des Handheldmarktes für sich beanspruchen zu können. Auch im europäischen Umland kann der DS Erfolge feiern. In England und Frankreich konnte man sich Positionen vor der PlayStation Portable erkämpfen.

Das GameCube Topspiel zur Zeit, Mario Smash Football, wurde bereits 50.000 Mal an den Mann gebracht.

Quelle: MCVGamesmarkt

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Quick translation from 01.net In France, according to GFK institute, DS beats PSP 2.5:1 and the DS should be in the hands of 700.000 owners by Christmas. Impressive if true, and I think it actually is: DS is flying off shelves in France, it is by far the hottest product we've seen in a long time. All our magazines are now talking about the DS, I read yesterday a 2 pages article in Le Nouvel Observateur, which usually don't speak about videogames at all.

WOW! This news 100% backs up what I already thought.

Insgesamt wurden bislang etwa 400.000 Einheiten abgesetzt, davon allein in den letzten drei Wochen 150.000.

As I read this 400,000 news I wanted to say that this sounds nearly impossible as they have announced that they sold 250,000 units just three weeks ago, but obviously it is possible :D
50,000 per week in Germany for a handheld is just insane imho, GBA's userbase is probably about 3 million (just to put it into perspective).

Mario Kart already at 100,000 is really, really impressive, almost as good as the UK numbers with ~50% of the user base (anecdotal evidence: everybody I know that has ever played a videogame LOVES Mario Kart, so it is probably really popular in Germany).

Btw. Nintendogs stock is most likely very low (bundles and the three editions), a week ago or so I saw a new Lab edition at Ebay going away for ~48 Euro + shipping (~10 Euro + shipping more than you would have to pay in a store).

Monk said:

even crusty has better jokes

Fischbrot

Frankfurter said:
Btw. Nintendogs stock is most likely very low (bundles and the three editions), a week ago or so I saw a new Lab edition at Ebay going away for ~48 Euro + shipping (~10 Euro + shipping more than you would have to pay in a store).

outsell in germany (stores).. :(

Und nun geh ick Weinen: *schnief*

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
btw, I put down Nintendo DS on my xmas/b-day list.

+1 sales.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Gahiggidy said:
btw, I put down Nintendo DS on my xmas/b-day list.

+1 sales.
How can you not have one already o_X?

150k for 3weeks in germany is really impressive. Even more so the 25% mario kart attachment rate.

Wait a minute, nintendogs attachment rate is > 50%? :lol

polg

Culex said:
Sales were simply INSANE for the DS!

Chart updated again :)

JPHandHeldWar3.jpg

This week saw more milestones hit for the DS, too. It has now sold over 4 million units, just over one year from it's initial launch!

Also, since the launch of Nintendogs, the DS has now outsold the PSP by over one million units.
these charts are HOT

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
these charts are HOT

The thought of working in sales and marketing never really appealed to me - quite on the contrary. And here I am coming back for more sales charts :lol

Looking at the french chart it is as if NoE outplayed sony there.... even though the DS was already on the market it is like it launched AFTER the PSP. Beating them to the not be first to market thing.

ioi

Banned
Well, what more can be said??

Apart from in the USA (who knows why???) the DS is selling stupid numbers all round the world at the moment, it really is impressive stuff !!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Frankfurter said:
WOW! This news 100% backs up what I already thought.

As I read this 400,000 news I wanted to say that this sounds nearly impossible as they have announced that they sold 250,000 units just three weeks ago, but obviously it is possible :D
50,000 per week in Germany for a handheld is just insane imho, GBA's userbase is probably about 3 million (just to put it into perspective).

Mario Kart already at 100,000 is really, really impressive, almost as good as the UK numbers with ~50% of the user base (anecdotal evidence: everybody I know that has ever played a videogame LOVES Mario Kart, so it is probably really popular in Germany).

Holy shit. 50k per week in PCLand (Germany)? :O

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Monk said:

Shit, I'm 17. I bought the wrong system. ;_;

ioi

Banned
heidern said:
Warioware Touch may have gone up from selling 400 copies last week to 4000 copies this week. But we can't know that since it doesn't make the charts.

Actually, Warioware Touched jumped from abour 3500 last week to about 8000 this week, and Mario 64 Ds and the others also saw similar increases so this is actually across the board....

Top Bottom