• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese software sale 5-12 Dec 2005

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
norinrad21 said:
FUCKING DS God knows what the Rev would do..........Japan is already in the bag people

:lol :lol :lol
360noselloutscreen0016aa.jpg

:lol :lol :lol How the heck did I miss that pic? It's classic. *saved*

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
DS should reach 5 million units in few weeks and PSP 3 millions.
At this rate, DS could have twice the PSP userbase over there, sometimes in Q3 2006. Reggie must be preparing his charts :lol

It bodes very well for the Revolution, there's some Nintendo love in the air.

Striek

marc^o^ said:
At this rate, DS could have twice the PSP userbase over there, sometimes in Q3 2006. Reggie must be preparing his charts :lol

Unlikely and hmmm.
Unlikely that PSP will consistently sell 1/2 the DS, and hmmm, all Nintendo handhelds have been popular, always. and its never translated to console success.

Striek said:
Unlikely and hmmm.
Unlikely that PSP will consistently sell 1/2 the DS, and hmmm, all Nintendo handhelds have been popular, always. and its never translated to console success.

Things would be different this time around, unless you are perpared to eat crow?

Striek

norinrad21 said:
Things would be different this time around, unless you are perpared to eat crow?
What? I don't want to get into a Revolution vs. PS3 argument.

Its just plain stupid to base an argument that the Revolution will win Japan based on the fact a Nintendo handheld is doing well, as they always do.

I think you guys have unrealistic expectations for Revolution that even Nintendo don't have...

HooDoo

Popular as in mostly alone on the market, of course the GB/GBA sold freaking well. Now there is a serious alternative and the DS is on a different path, kind of showing Japan is willing to embrace Nintendo's vision of gaming.
I'm not meaning the rev will outsell the PS3 though, don't get me wrong, but as a matter of fact Japan digs this kind of innovation.

AniHawk

HooDoo said:
Popular as in mostly alone on the market, of course the GB/GBA sold freaking well. Now there is a serious alternative and the DS is on a different path, kind of showing Japan is willing to embrace Nintendo's vision of gaming.
I'm not meaning the rev will outsell the PS3 though, don't get me wrong, but as a matter of fact Japan digs this kind of innovation.

The GBA is dead in Japan, old chum

ioi

Banned
marc^o^ said:

DS will easily hit 5 million (as I said about 2 weeks ago but it's even exceeding my expecations) but PSP is no where near 3 million.. i think DS being 2 x PSP is very realistic and will happen in the next couple of weeks...

marc^o^

The more DS units Nintendo sells, the more they'll sell Revolutions.
Why? First the "non gamers" new target will be familiar with the Nintendo brand. If Nintendo can provide the same kind of games they liked on DS, they'll probably jump in. Second, I seriously expect the DS/Revolution connectivity to be a big incentive this time around. Nintendo was ridiculous with their GBA/GC connectivity. But it's clear to see that the mere possibility to download DS demos from the Revolution brings much more value to customers. So in a sense, DS is a Revolution Trojan horse :D

Striek

HooDoo said:
Oh, so its fact, both they like innovation, and that Revolution is an innovation. I missed the memo :(

Why? First the "non gamers" new target will be familiar with the Nintendo brand
If only the overwhelming majority of DS owners weren't gamers. Shucks.

AniHawk

Lince said:
From #21 to #50, Soul Calibur III is doing way worse than I expected :(

I expected about as much. SCII on the PS2 did only 122k (though it moved around 250k for all three systems combined).

SCIII PS2-only was a retarded decision. It'll only sell well as a greatest hit.

marc^o^

Striek said:
If only the overwhelming majority of DS owners weren't gamers. Shucks.
In Japan? You'd be surprised. Non gamers could be as high as 30/40% of DS owners. it's at least the Nintendo objective.

HooDoo

The GBA is dead in Japan, old chum

Yeah, hum, where did I say it wasn't ? I wrote GB/GBA sold well because they were kind of alone. Actually I don't understand your point.

Oh, so its fact, both they like innovation, and that Revolution is an innovation. I missed the memo :(

Don't worry I'll fedex you a note where everything is written, you'll be up to date with all the possible memos you could have missed !

AniHawk

HooDoo said:
Yeah, hum, where did I say it wasn't ? I wrote GB/GBA sold well because they were kind of alone. Actually I don't understand your point.

D'oh. Yeah, I misread that. Long day. Two finals. Work. Making a cartoon. Yeah. Tired.

How does the next six months of releases look for the DS in japan? Right now, third party games seems like nothing more than names on the "announced" list.

Striek

marc^o^ said:
In Japan? You'd be surprised. Non gamers could be as high as 30/40% of DS owners. it's at least the Nintendo objective.
40%? So are you saying normal gamers have been not supporting the console then? Because thats a signifcant drop in "traditional" gamers than GBA ;-) Its not happening.
All the console manufacturers have been stating non-gamers as their way to increase the market for years now. Sony started it with the Eyetoy, Nintendo is bringing the Revolution and Microsoft is sure XBLive is the way to go. But the thing is, non-gamers don't play games. Thats the whole point of the title. Non-gamers.
They aren't going to want to spend time waving around their arms in Revolution titles. They don't want to spend time making shit to sell on XBLive. They might spend 10mins at a friends on Eyetoy party games but they won't be buying a console to do it.
More to the point, the type of games available on Revolution won't mirror those on DS. The interface is different, arguable more complicated, the games will (should) be more complex, and the time needed to play greater.

AniHawk

Zerodoppler said:
How does the next six months of releases look for the DS in japan? Right now, third party games seems like nothing more than names on the "announced" list.

I believe that Brain Training's about it for a while. There's a couple more like it coming out early 2006, but not much until SMB.

Striek said:
More to the point, the type of games available on Revolution won't mirror those on DS. The interface is different, arguable more complicated, the games will (should) be more complex, and the time needed to play greater.

Welcome do GAF Mr. Iwata :D

Raw64life

Zerodoppler said:

Touhoku Daigaku Mirai Kagaku Gijutsu Kyoudou Kenkyuu Center Kawashima Ryuuta Kyouju Kanshuu: Motto Nou wo Kitaeru Otona no DS Training FTW.

Also Resident Evil: Deadly Silence. That's about it up until February atleast.

ioi

Banned
Striek said:
40%? So are you saying normal gamers have been not supporting the console then? Because thats a signifcant drop in "traditional" gamers than GBA ;-) Its not happening.
All the console manufacturers have been stating non-gamers as their way to increase the market for years now. Sony started it with the Eyetoy, Nintendo is bringing the Revolution and Microsoft is sure XBLive is the way to go. But the thing is, non-gamers don't play games. Thats the whole point of the title. Non-gamers.
They aren't going to want to spend time waving around their arms in Revolution titles. They don't want to spend time making shit to sell on XBLive. They might spend 10mins at a friends on Eyetoy party games but they won't be buying a console to do it.

Well, while I don't particularly agree or disagree with your points, I think it's pretty clear that DS is appealing to a different audience to GBA. It may just be true that Mushi King, Slime Mori Mori, Kirby, Yoshi etc are rubbish but they would (and in some cases did) sell better on the more traditional GBA userbase. The fact that the more quirky games are doing so well proves that it's a different audience surely? While the games people expected to do best (Jump Super Stars, Mario Kart) have done relatively poorly in comparison.

I do think Nintendo have hit onto something here...

neo2046

PS2 45,000
360 43,000

DS Mushiking 20,000
DS Hamutaro 7,000
PSP Sengoku Musou 20,000+
PSP MGA 2 10,000 +

DS pokemon Troze 157,000 (total)
GBA Mushiking 606,000 (total)

AniHawk

neo2046 said:
PS2 45,000
360 43,000

DS Mushiking 20,000
DS Hamutaro 7,000
PSP MGA 2 10,000 +

DS mushiking really sucked.

360 numbers warm my cold, twisted heart.

marc^o^

Striek said:
40%? Its not happening ...the thing is, non-gamers don't play games. Thats the whole point of the title. Non-gamers ....They aren't going to want to spend time waving around their arms in Revolution titles... the type of games available on Revolution won't mirror those on DS. The interface is arguable more complicated, the games will (should) be more complex...
Brain Training games and Nintendogs sold what, 1.5 million each in Japan? It seems to me these "games" were mostly sold to non gamers. Not to mention the pink DS, which is flying off shelves and is not likely bought by the average joe. So yeah, my 30/40% assumption should not be too far off from reality.

FYI, we refer to "non-gamers" on this board as people who were not used to playing games, until they got hands on such aforementioned offerings. And the whole point of the Revolution controller is to lure gamers and non gamers. It was made to offer complex gameplay, as well as the easiest interface imaginable (anyone knows how to use a remote). So, overall, I think you are pretty wrong with your statements.

Level-5 love out there is welcomed, but Ryu ga Gotoku love is really appreciated. Good high budget games are the way to go next gen.

Come on SEGA, announce it here already! >.<

ioi

Banned
Xrenity said:
Microsoft is DOOMED in Japan :x

I don't mean to be funny or anything and I'm not having a go at you specifically, but did anyone not think XB 360 would fail??

The original has only been doing sales of less than 100 per week and about 500k in total. The only games anyone bought were Dead Or Alive. Why would things be any different this time???

neo2046 said:
PS2 45,000
360 43,000

DS Mushiking 20,000
DS Hamutaro 7,000
PSP MGA 2 10,000 +

Well that's different to Dengeki who must have had Mushi King on more like 40k

Amir0x

Banned
ioi said:
I don't mean to be funny or anything and I'm not having a go at you specifically, but did anyone not think XB 360 would fail??

The original has only been doing sales of less than 100 per week and about 500k in total. The only games anyone bought were Dead Or Alive. Why would things be any different this time???

I honestly thought things would be a LITTLE better, because of things like Ridge Racer 6 and SquareEnix support (FFXI beta bundled with every 360, for christ's sake...)...

but, to be honest, it's still too early to tell anything. I'm definitely not claiming it's looking good, though :p

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Xbox 360 did a lot worse than even the most optimistic Xbox hater could have hoped for. If DOA4 doesn't turn things around Xbox 360 will be dead in a few months.

ioi

Banned
Amir0x said:
I honestly thought things would be a LITTLE better, because of things like Ridge Racer 6 and SquareEnix support (FFXI beta bundled with every 360, for christ's sake...)...

but, to be honest, it's still too early to tell anything. I'm definitely not claiming it's looking good, though :p

Well it should have a reasonable first xmas, maybe 150-200k by mid jan could be possible so yeah it's not all that bad, but it was never gonna be big. I estimated it at 150k if i remember so i look stupid now !!!

Here we go:

ioi said:
Ok, here goes:

Code:
[b]Date		DS		PSP		X 360[/b]
4-Dec-05		176	3950	92	2229		
11-Dec-05		239	4189	63	2292	165	165
18-Dec-05		189	4378	68	2360	43	208
25-Dec-05		331	4709	129	2489	47	255
1-Jan-06		213	4921	98	2587	39	294
8-Jan-06		241	5162	104	2691	38	332
15-Jan-06		102	5264	47	2738	17	349
22-Jan-06		74	5338	37	2775	14	363
http://www.ga-forum.com/showpost.php?p=2385964&postcount=157

I was a little optomistic with X360 wasn't I? But DS... I thought I was really over-estimating but i think i was low if anything and 5.5m for DS now by mid jan looks probable... more than double PSP maybe??

heidern

Zerodoppler said:
Resident Evil is in January as well as a bunch of smaller games including Bleach. Children of Mana is in February as well as smaller games including Eyeshield 21. Other than that not much has been specifically nailed down. However the DS is full of surprises and the dev cycles are relatively short, games casn and will pop up out of nowhere.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
360 software sales have got to be attrocious. These are the hardcore early adoptors and they can't even get the tie-raio above 1.0?? At least with the origianal Xbox luanch you had a few games break 50k.

I seriosuly believe that DOA4's chances of toping 100k are in doubt.

Izzy

Banned
ioi said:
Well it should have a reasonable first xmas, maybe 150-200k by mid jan could be possible so yeah it's not all that bad, but it was never gonna be big. I estimated it at 150k if i remember so i look stupid now !!!

Here we go:

http://www.ga-forum.com/showpost.php?p=2385964&postcount=157

I was a little optomistic with X360 wasn't I? But DS... I thought I was really over-estimating but i think i was low if anything and 5.5m for DS now by mid jan looks probable... more than double PSP maybe??

A bit optimistic on the X360 front, eh? :) But I think you nailed PSP for this week..we shall see.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Could I get some clarification on what constituts a Non-Gamer in the GAF scheme of things? Or a gamer for that matter. As well as non-games and games.

ioi

Banned
heidern said:
Resident Evil is in January as well as a bunch of smaller games including Bleach. Children of Mana is in February as well as smaller games including Eyeshield 21. Other than that not much has been specifically nailed down. However the DS is full of surprises and the dev cycles are relatively short, games casn and will pop up out of nowhere.

Well this is what they have to be careful of... to keep the momentum going but to be honest releasing Brain Training 2 and Mario & Luigi 2 are good moves as these will do good numbers throughout jan and feb. This is another new thing for nintendo to do, if you look back at trends over the years they nearly always release two big games on their main console around xmas, one in last week of nov and one mid dec. The end of Nov one is usually the real biggie (Smash Bros Melee, Zelda OOT, Mario Party 4 etc) and does well but drops after the holidays and the mid dec one holds pretty well into the new year.

So so far, so good.

The difference this year is that they have two more big games (million seller in BT2 and 500k in M&L) and they are releasing them at the end of the holidays- more of a Sony tactic (Gran Turismo, GT4 last year) and these normally hold well into the new year so Nintendo are covering both angles.

I think Brain Training 2 and also Animal Crossing will do some fantastic numbers through Jan, Feb but they need to get some more big games out for March time to keep it going...

Can see all this sort of stuff on http://www.everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/vgsales.php

For example:

1996 had Donkey Kong Country 3 and Mario Kart 64
1997 had Yoshi's Story and Diddy Kong Racing
1998 had Zelda: OOT, and Pikachu Genki Dechu / Mario Party / Banjo Kazooie (so maybe quite similar to this year in that Mario party and Pikachu did well into the new year...
1999 had Donkey Kong 64 and Mario Party 2
2000 had MP3 and Pokemon Stadium 3
2001 Had Smash Bros / Animal Crossing
2002 Had Zelda:WW and MP4
2003 had Mario Kart:DD, Pokemon Col / Donkey Konga / MP5 (again a bit different and more like this year)
2004 had Mario 64 DS and Warioware with the big DS launch
2005 has Animal Crossing, Mario Kart DS, Brain Training 2 and Mario & Luigi 2

Ceb

Amir0x said:
Christ that's a clusterfuck. What a failure.

The first game had a poor opening too, but went on to perform relatively well. Still, it'll be interesting to see how gamers react to MGA2 now that they really know what the concept is all about. I think it'll ultimately end up doing 50% of the first MGA.

Time for a PS2 price drop in February, I think.

Amir0x

Banned
Ceb said:
The first game had a poor opening too, but went on to perform relatively well. Still, it'll be interesting to see how gamers react to MGA2 now that they really know what the concept is all about. I think it'll ultimately end up doing 50% of the first MGA.

I'm pretty disappointed at the reaction. MGA1 was a pretty solid game, and MGA2 looked really good. It's not a positive reaction to see such "good" original PSP games doing poorly. Bad Japan :(

Ceb said:
Time for a PS2 price drop in February, I think.

Time for a PS2 price drop in November 2005, I think! Sony really missed the boat.

ziran

incredible ds sales! great sales for mkds and another impressive week for animal crossing.
also very good monster hunter psp sales.

i believe nintendo's recent success in japan with the ds and famicom mini series bodes very well for revolution. the reality is nintendo's ace is its software, not just the controller. no-one should underestimate nintendo's ability to develop software that people love playing (and buying)! and judging by this engadget interview, revolution's launch line-up could be incredible :D
http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000297061506/
Engadget: Do you think that most of the games that will be available on launch will actually take full advantage of the new controller? Or do you think it’s something that will have to evolve over time?

Miyamoto: Well, as we’ve seen with the Nintendo DS it’s taken us about six months for games like Nintendogs and the Brain Training games we’ve introduced in Japan to came out, and these are software that can only be achieved on a Nintendo DS. So in that sense, it took us a little while to get full functionality out of the DS. But for the Revolution launch we’re trying to have software that takes as much advantage of the Revolution controller as possible. The one advantage we have in this area is that the Revolution development can actually be done on the Game Cube development environment. So the development kits are going to have a very similar structure to the Game Cube development kits, which makes it very easy for people who have started projects on the Game Cube development kits to just switch over the interface and continue working and have those games ready for the Revolution. We’re thinking that we’re going to be able to have a pretty strong launch.
:)

Ceb

The current PS2 price works pretty neatly with the current lineup. It's better to save a price drop for spring 2006 - will give an extra boost to the huge titles starting to come out around that time, keeping them from getting overshadowed by PS3.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Amir0x said:
I'm pretty disappointed at the reaction. MGA1 was a pretty solid game, and MGA2 looked really good. It's not a positive reaction to see such "good" original PSP games doing poorly. Bad Japan :(
It's the sequel to a radically different spinoff released not even a year after the first one. I think there are better reasons to condem japanese psp owners for :)

I think mushiking shows this as well. New games in franchises too close to each other. I can't really blame the customers.

I'm surprised slime mori mori has already fallen of the edge of the world already, though.

Top Bottom