• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Green's new band is called "Furtive Pygmy" [Black Dragon plays Dark Souls]

Bedlam

He instinctively ran around the Titanite Demon like a pro. Love to see how he developed that special Dark Souls mindset.

Of course he got eaten by a tree guy 5 seconds later. Dark Souls.

Who is going to help jeff guide a little trough the game?
He says he wants help.

now I have been playing DS for about 75 hours but I'm no were near an expert yet.

Bedlam

Jeff saw right through Petrus the first time he spoke with him. Dat creeper haircut.

edit: lol... he really hates Petrus. Mocks him every time.

Great stream jeff, I know that you would enjoy the game more if someone could help you walk a little trough it just so you understand some more basics and general tips about how to handle yourself through the first part of the game.

Great stream jeff, I know that you would enjoy the game more if someone could help you walk a little trough it just so you understand some more basics and general tips about how to handle yourself through the first part of the game.

He needs some way of getting someone experienced with the game to monitor the comments that get through to him, so he doesn;t get trolled or have surprises spoiled for him, but does get a steady stream of good combat and character-building tips

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
This stream is currently the best thing on the internet. The conclusion was amazing. I love how how he immediately saw right through Petrus.

It would've been nice if you could finish that mage, better luck next time Jeff.

Getting your Uchi to +2 and killing the big knight is progress. You just have to focus on the combat a bit more. You should definitely try to roll more now that you're out of the heavy armor. It's a lifesaver.

Hey Jeff, upgrade 1 more strength and equip Claymore.

For your playstyle, it will help immensely because it has A LOT more reach than the Uchigatana and it hits harder but slower and creates more stagger in enemies.

Uchigatana is a dex based weapon. It's good for fast players that like to get in close. Claymore will be more your style, I think.

Yeah he could try this and see how he likes it. Seeing which weapon you like more is never a bad thing. I'd say pick one of those 2 though, currently his best options. Both are great weapons that you can use for the rest of the game.

nbthedude

Hey Jeff, upgrade 1 more strength and equip Claymore.

For your playstyle, it will help immensely because it has A LOT more reach than the Uchigatana and it hits harder but slower and creates more stagger in enemies.

Uchigatana is a dex based weapon. It's good for fast players that like to get in close. Claymore will be more your style, I think.

I missed an episode so it may have been explained, but why is he wearing light armour when he rarely rolls and gets hit often?

Also, in case you're reading Jeff, it might be a good idea to just find a safe spot and practice kicking. Flick+click bro :D

Ah jeez, missed it because I didn't expect a stream in the middle of the day.

I guess if you're recuperating at home that's the #1 opportune time to play something.

nbthedude

I missed an episode so it may have been explained, but why is he wearing light armour when he rarely rolls and gets hit often?

Also, in case you're reading Jeff, it might be a good idea to just find a safe spot and practice kicking. Flick+click bro :D

Actually you are right. He took off heavy armor to fight the Taurus Demon. He probably should put it back on now so he doesn't die so easily.

eot

Banned
You played so much better than on the last stream Jeff! I would just recommend focusing on retaining your souls so you can actually level up some more as well as upgrade your gear. You're probably going to need that for the boss, both the shield and weapon. Finally, you should try dodging out of the way of attacks more, it will come in handy (for the boss especially). The dodge move has a lot of invulnerability frames in which you can't get hit.

Also, just in general, focus on not getting hit more than getting attacks in yourself. It can be good practice to not attack an enemy at all and just try to stay alive.

Lizard with a ladder

learnin' with the blacks!
Jeff I'd like to reiterate what everyone is saying about using the Claymore. That hallway where you kept dying to those buffed peons is a perfect situation to switch to the Claymore. It's long thrust attack (RT) while held with one hand, is great for taking out multiple enemies in tight quarters.

nbthedude

This stream is currently the best thing on the internet. The conclusion was amazing. I love how how he immediately saw right through Petrus.

It would've been nice if you could finish that mage, better luck next time Jeff.

Getting your Uchi to +2 and killing the big knight is progress. You just have to focus on the combat a bit more. You should definitely try to roll more now that you're out of the heavy armor. It's a lifesaver.

Yeah he could try this and see how he likes it. Seeing which weapon you like more is never a bad thing. I'd say pick one of those 2 though, currently his best options. Both are great weapons that you can use for the rest of the game.

I'm mainly suggesting it because Jeff whiffs a lot and ends up hitting enemies shields. Claymore would help with both of these problems since it has longer reach and often staggers enemies even with their shields up.

Jeff I'd like to reiterate what everyone is saying about using the Claymore. That hallway where you kept dying to those buffed peons is a perfect situation to switch to the Claymore. It's long thrust attack (RT) while held with one hand, is great for taking out multiple enemies in tight quarters.

Also this. Claymore will make those guys a lot easier.

JeffGreen

97.5: The Brodeo
Yeah, still recuperating from yesterday's mini hospital visit. So I wasn't good for much today other than a stream. :)

You guys are right--I should probably go with the claymore and put the heavy armor back on if I keep playing the way I am. However, in theory, I'd LIKE to be more dexterous and quick, and it's annoying me to no end that I'm just standing there rather than reacting quickly. :)
I think part of it (not to make excuses) is that I'm talking to an audience while playing, so my reflexes - not good to start with - are even slower.

Anyway, thanks as always for watching and for the tips! Gonna watch Vinny soon so I can see someone else play. :)

Yeah, still recuperating from yesterday's mini hospital visit. So I wasn't good for much today other than a stream. :)

You guys are right--I should probably go with the claymore and put the heavy armor back on if I keep playing the way I am. However, in theory, I'd LIKE to be more dexterous and quick, and it's annoying me to no end that I'm just standing there rather than reacting quickly. :)
I think part of it (not to make excuses) is that I'm talking to an audience while playing, so my reflexes - not good to start with - are even slower.

Anyway, thanks as always for watching and for the tips! Gonna watch Vinny soon so I can see someone else play. :)

Pfft

Fby2E.gif

nbthedude

No shame in taking the "heavy armor + big sword" approach. It's still challenging and requires you to block and counter and do all the stuff you are doing now. It's the way I played through the game the first time. Hell, it's the way Vinny is primarily playing. The only reason to wear extremely light armor is to roll a lot instead of block and in special occasions (like when you want to run or like you did with the Taurus Demon).

You can always take the armor off when you need for special occasions.

Lizard with a ladder

learnin' with the blacks!
Jeff you can still be some what dexterous with the armor you currently have. There's a ring that helps with your equip burden and it's in an area you've already explored.

Read up on how equip burden affects your movement and rolling speed. Even if you choose not to use a ring to alter your equip burden. You can still mix up armor pieces to find the right balance of mobility and defense.

Bedlam

I think Havel's armor looks really bad. It's way too bulky and it looks like it's made out of plastic.

edit: No offense, Havel.
I never liked the look either but Vinny totally pulled it off by combining it with the boar helmet. That combination looked fucking rad.

also: it might be a good idea to ignore the R2 attack until you're better at the game. It's really slow and it seems to screw you over more often than not.
The Uchigatana's R2 attack is pretty good for narrow hallway situations though.

Clevinger

Jeff, that asshole who parried your attack and reposted you (yep, a couple enemies can do it too) is an example of how important learning to backstab is. You gotta circle around them to your right until you're behind them and hit R1. Your shield has to be down before you hit the R1 button.

also: it might be a good idea to ignore the R2 attack until you're better at the game. It's really slow and it seems to screw you over more often than not.

JeffGreen

97.5: The Brodeo
Jeff, that asshole who parried your attack and reposted you (yep, a couple enemies can do it too) is an example of how important learning to backstab is. You gotta circle around them to your right until you're behind them and hit R1. Your shield has to be down before you hit the R1 button.

I think you're right. The problem with the R1 button is that I keep fuckin' kicking. :)

Booshka

I think you're right. The problem with the R1 button is that I keep fuckin' kicking. :)

I think this is due to how you are clenching the controller and being a little too twitchy. A lot of your mistakes seem to be from you losing control of your inputs in tense situations. You know what you need to do, you just are messing up on a mechanical level. Losing track of your block, flicking the left stick on accident and causing you to kick, etc. Try to get more comfortable with the controls, relax your grip a little bit (insert masturbation joke here) and play a little bit more reserved and controlled so you aren't panicking and fucking up your inputs.

Your combat strategy is progressing pretty well, it's just that your execution mechanically is your biggest hurdle.

I don't suggest ignoring heavy attacks or other combat mechanics to try and remove variables and make it simpler. Mastering the use of light and heavy attacks is crucial to doing well overall in the game. Also, experiment more with 2 handing your weapon and attacking when the enemy gives you an opening, or just overwhelming them with consecutive 2 handed strikes. It is possible to block, switch to 2 hand then start swinging before most enemies can recover from the block stun, so you don't have to always think of it as one or the other.

nbthedude

jeff, prepare to get giffed from now on

jeffownedvwpcj.gif

I don't know which is better, Jeff's reaction in that .gif, or the way the Balder Knight just turns around, indifferently, sways his cape, and marches back up the stairs.

I love the enemies animations in Dark Souls. So cool.

what's his youtube channel again?
http://www.youtube.com/user/Greenspeakachu?feature=watch

Watching it now...

"I've made zero progress and my spaghetti is cold." That's a boxquote if there ever was one.

You know I used to chortle into my neckbeard thinking what would happen if he got to Smough and Ornstein, but he's getting better so quickly. I feel like I'm in the middle of a first act montage where the music swells after an unexpected win and the nay-saying characters on screen go "oh my god, he might actually do it..."

I also like how Jeff will jovially ask what to spend his souls on, then looks over at the chat and sees a text version of:

_books_fight460.jpg

Kerned

Banned
It was great hearing him remind himself that it was all about being patient, dodging, blocking, etc. That sort of attitude is key. Dark Souks really is all about mastering a relatively small group of skills, being patient, and knowing when to apply what skill. He's improved dramatically though, and I can't wait to see how the
gargoyle
fight goes. That was an early stumbling block for me.

Haha oh Jeff... You definitely have improved but you're still your own worst enemy.

• You didn't really notice, but each time you scolded yourself for doing the kick, particularly to the guy on the stairs, it was actually a very successful use of that move, and left an opening for you to attack!

Try not pressing any direction at all when you simply want to do a normal attack. Remove your thumb just slightly from the joystick if necessary. Then, when you do want to do the kick, go ahead and press forward with the attack.

• If you want to get some practice in with the kick, the backstab, the parry and riposte, etc, you should go back to those two or three guys who are just up the stairs from Firelink Shrine, toward Undeadburg, the first area you've already played.

Now that you have the shortcut opened to the Undead Parish, you can easily go back and fight those first few enemies if you want to try something out.

• I'd say your biggest problem right now is your attack timing. You're doing much better for sure, but you're still attacking at inopportune times, like when an enemy is already winding up for an attack, so you end up taking a few hits on every encounter. You're also putting in a lot of stamina just attacking your enemies' shields. If you're confident in the kick, use it when their shield is up. The safer choice may be to simply wait for them to strike your shield, then get a hit in.

Also, if you can get a single hit in, you could probably get in a second or third, if you queue up the attacks fast enough. Don't forget the advice someone gave you earlier, about doing a combo instead of a single attack animation at a time.

I did notice you've been doing a sort of combo by getting in a hit with R1, then Pressing R2 for a thrust. That's good! The only problem here is that it's a bit slow. It has its place, but maybe focusing on the old one-two (R1, R1) could be a beneficial start.

But you're improving a lot, and making progress. Even if you did nothing but died, it's still experience.

Oh, one more thing! Right now, you can easily upgrade your Uchigatana to +5. The only thing standing in your way are a few hundred souls and a couple Titanite Shards (Titanite is ore you need to upgrade weapons, and you'll discover there are different kinds). Conveniently, you can purchase said shards from the Blacksmith. You can easily either grind a few souls or use a few soul items from your inventory, go back to the Blacksmith, purchase the titanite shards if need be, and make your weapon even better.

You can also upgrade armor like this, to boost your defense, which looks like it could stand some improvement. I know you were encouraged to wear less clothes earlier, for a speedier character, but there's nothing wrong with sticking with the heavier armor. I'd actually recommend you put your heavier armor back on. Put as much on as you can without going into the 'heavy roll' state (No more than 50% of your weight limit, which you can see on your character stat screen in the start menu)

Good luck!

Pikelet

Kinda wanna see how Jeff does on his own now so he can discover it for himself, seeing as he pretty much has the basics nailed.

Also don't worry about not upgrading the claymore, Team Uchigatana for life!

Top Bottom