• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Rogan and Alex Jones get high and incoherently discuss crazy shit (JRE podcast)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to make sure I had your strawman straight.

I see people on GAF calling Steve Bannon and Richard Spencer nazis. That amounts to labeling two of the most prominent and outspoken white supremacists as nazis. Care to point out any other examples? The one post on this page accusing someone of calling Milo a nazi is actually responding to a post calling Richard Spencer a nazi.

So, if we're keeping it real, and that's the attitude "prevalent lately on this forum," who else are we talking about? Because this is you verbatim:

So who else we got? Where are you pulling this shit from? Let's not devolve into fallacious nonsense, my dude.

Why are you being so obtuse?

Modern republicans are Nazi supporters. They carry all the stigma and all the consequences of being associated with Nazi support. That is not an uncommon, nor controversial view, especially on this forum.

Gattsu25

Banned
I know your post is facetious and it has been an emotional election, however to say that we live in a Nazi regime is ignorant and immature. It also implies you have given up on our system of checks and balances. Don't give up, our government still works despite the person you wanted in office is not there, and if you really want to make it better help someone run against these clowns in office or contribute in some other way.
Just so you know, I'm familiar with sea lioning.

Regarding checks and balances: those are actively under attack by the executive. See the executive's comments regarding the legislative branch's perceived overreach.

The ultimate check is the American people. Sometimes that means standing up to people that want to eradicate the Jewish people. That also involves knowing what the stated goals of Nazis are.

Breads

Banned
I'm confused. Who in this thread has said "if you don't agree with me you're a nazi"?

The same people who are endorsing punching a women in the face just because she is a Trump supporter.

No one.

It's all a strawman and disingenuous fuckery because addressing the things people are actually saying, including Milo, is too hard.

Violence is not defensible no matter your "noble" cause.

World War 2.

Use to have a roommate that had an infowars sticker on the back of his wheelchair. Never asked him about it but I could always hear him listening to Jones every now and then. He one time told me he thinks Obama is baboon and asked if that offended me (I'm black btw) I said yeah it did and he dropped it. Never talked politics with him again.

But you said just let them speak and the odious ideas will lose... this election showed that yeah that's not true.

People putting people like Milo on their podcast, on their networks, normalize him and enable him to spread his hate further and further.

She did not lose because of hateful ideas. She lost for reasons that I won't bother reposting here.

Sure, but who cares. The point is to come up with a better counter argument that will be better accepted with the mainstream.

Why are you being so obtuse?

Modern republicans are Nazi supporters. They carry all the stigma and all the consequences of being associated with Nazi support. That is not an uncommon, nor controversial view, especially on this forum.

I don't even know how this is responding to my post. I think you misunderstand me. I was responding to someone who was trying to dismiss valid criticisms in this thread by equating said criticisms with "calling everyone you disagree with a nazi." My point was that no one actually did that, so he was simply setting up a strawman to knock down rather than responding to the actual, valid criticisms in this thread.

Breads

Banned
She did not lose because of hateful ideas. She lost for reasons that I won't bother reposting here.

Sure, but who cares. The point is to come up with a better counter argument that will be better accepted with the mainstream.

Here is my counter argument.

Trump won because people support his bigotry and anti-establishment views.

Framing it as "Clinton's loss" is an argument wrought with peril considering how she had more support by millions.

Just so you know, I'm familiar with sea lioning.

Regarding checks and balances: those are actively under attack by the executive. See the executive's comments regarding the legislative branch's perceived overreach.

The ultimate check is the American people. Sometimes that means standing up to people that want to eradicate the Jewish people. That also involves knowing what the stated goals of Nazis are.

Sea lioning? If you're unable to uphold civil debate that is your issue.

Yes, we are the ultimate check. Again, slippery slope argument.

But who cares?

I care, normalizing bigots actually makes them harder to defeat... because they you know become normal and their methods become acceptable.

Nah. I know many black and latin people that voted for him. Etc etc you could go on and on about this crazy election.

Every single racial category except white people overwhelmingly rejected Trump...

But who cares?

I care, normalizing bigots actually makes them harder to defeat... because they you know become normal and their methods become acceptable.

Bigotry will not be normalized anytime soon.

btw:
"Clinton suffered her biggest losses in the places where Obama was strongest among white voters. It's not a simple racism story"

Gattsu25

Banned
Bigotry will not be normalized anytime soon.

This was at a Texas high school last week:
Code:
[IMG]https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2017-02/2/15/asset/buzzfeed-prod-fastlane-03/sub-buzz-3438-1486068591-7.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2017-02/2/15/asset/buzzfeed-prod-fastlane-02/sub-buzz-9993-1486068856-1.png[/IMG]

It's. Happening.

Code:
[IMG]https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2017-02/2/15/asset/buzzfeed-prod-fastlane-03/sub-buzz-3438-1486068591-7.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2017-02/2/15/asset/buzzfeed-prod-fastlane-02/sub-buzz-9993-1486068856-1.png[/IMG]

It's. Happening.

Anecdotal, isolated.

I am a minority and do not even feel an ounce of that going on.

Breads

Banned
Nah. I know many black and latin people that voted for him. Etc etc you could go on and on about this crazy election.

Not sure if you're aware but we are not a monolith. We can be racist too. My family members who voted for Trump are indeed racist, and most of them who voted for Trump either served during the gulf war or various engagements in the 80s or are the kids of those who did - an important factor that cemented their hatred towards the middle east.

:edit:

Oh and they hate illegal immigrants too. More than just Mexicans. Being hispanic they have quite the colorful stereotypes for all sorts of islanders and south americans. They consider themselves the good ones. Rubio/ Cruz types.

ReAxion

If you're going to defeat bigotry etc it will be through words and better argumentation, not petty physical violence. It only gives those people a bigger megaphone.

Your first point is childishly misguided and your second point has already been disproven. You're not going to come up with a logical argument to prove Jews are people and the white nationalists are now afraid to publicly express their abhorrent views because they are afraid they're going to get punched, and that doesn't rally anyone else to their cause. The violence is working.

Your first point is childishly misguided and your second point has already been disproven. You're not going to come up with a logical argument to prove Jews are people and the white nationalists are now afraid to publicly express their abhorrent views because they are afraid they're going to get punched, and that doesn't rally anyone else to their cause. The violence is working.

"childishly misguided "
Why do you feel that way?

Sure you can. You can form an argument for anything. And all arguments are wrong by their very nature.

No, the violence is not working. It never has and never will. That is my friend is childishly misguided.

Ozigizo

"childishly misguided "

Sure you can. You can form an argument for anything. And all arguments are wrong by their very nature.

No, the violence is not working. It never has and never will. That is my friend is childishly misguided.

I don't believe you're arguing in good faith. Instead of providing stats or figures, you've only provided further anicdotes.

Code:

It's. Happening.
This isn't very surprising, young children have a weird fascination with things that piss other people off. Look at COD, as soon as they made custom emblems a thing 8 years ago, every pip squeak with a mic had swastikas on their profiles, it got to the point where you just stop reporting offensive emblems and hope the devs crackdown. What I'm getting at is, this is nothing new, and liberals really need to stop giving Milo all this free press. You guys giving him the spot light by giving him the attention he craves. You can't stop talking about him, protesting him, commiting acts of violence. It's like you guys are feeding him energy.......and no one notices that at all. Like shit imagine what you could do with that energy if you went out in your community and educated the millions who didn't bother voting this year.

Ethranes

The amount of times "Slipery Slope" is used in these conversations makes me feel like I'm ice skating.

And it just occured to me that slope is a racial slur in the UK, you should all feel ashamed of yourselves!

You would see the irony in this if you were here in good faith.

What makes you doubt I am here not in good faith? I am not defending the racists and bigots, just everyone's right to say what they want within reason (not hate speech).
Ad hominems do not make my points disappear btw.

ReAxion

"childishly misguided "

You can reason with the unreasonable, this is known.

Yes it is. They've already said they're afraid. How come you don't know this?

NandoGip

This isn't very surprising, young children have a weird fascination with things that piss other people off. Look at COD, as soon as they made custom emblems a thing 8 years ago, every pip squeak with a mic had swastikas on their profiles, it got to the point where you just stop reporting offensive emblems and hope the devs crackdown. What I'm getting at is, this is nothing new, and liberals really need to stop giving Milo all this free press. You guys giving him the spot light by giving him the attention he craves. You can't stop talking about him, protesting him, commiting acts of violence. It's like you guys are feeding him energy.......and no one notices that at all. Like shit imagine what you could do with that energy if you went out in your community and educated the millions who didn't bother voting this year.

"Liberals need to stop speaking up about the fucked up shit people do that oppresses others"

So what do you suggest is the best thing to do about it? Ignore it hoping it goes away? All the while more and more people are being persuaded to become bigots....

Or do you just think that it's overblown and people aren't turning into racists/homophobes/misogynists over the guise of "being against political correctness"

What makes you doubt I am here not in good faith? I am not defending the racists and bigots, just everyone's right to say what they want within reason (not hate speech).

The person you've been defending this entire time

http://www.advocate.com/transgender/2016/10/26/milo-yiannopoulos-takes-transphobia-tour
http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/12/milo-yiannopoulos-harassed-a-trans-student-at-uw-milwaukee.html
http://www.mediamatters.org/blog/20...ansgender-university-wisconsin-student/214849

You can reason with the unreasonable, this is known.

Yes it is. They've already said they're afraid. How come you don't know this?

Yes, I see all the bigots quivering for fear already. Have they let up on their rhetoric? Or have they gotten more defensive? Have they garnered shame? Or have they garnered sympathy?

Gattsu25

Banned

The problem with this is Milo himself. He came to fame during #GamerGate which was an organized harassment campaign that disproved the notion that starving a "troll" is the best way to deal with them. Even if people ignored them, they were still the target of organized and persistent harassment for months on end.

Ozigizo

But Milo's bread and butter is hate speech. He started with Gamergate, which was a misogynist movement.

He harassed an actress off of Twitter with racism.

What are you trying to say?

NandoGip

So you really think it's okay to give Nazis/racists/bigots/homophobes/misogynists a platform over the idea of free speech and fairness? Where does the line end? What about giving pedophiles the platform to preach how the laws against it are wrong? What about cannibals?

Allowing both covert and in-the-closet bigots to spread their message should not be acceptable. I'm not advocating for outlawing their speech, but I will not say that a Nazi getting punched in the face is wrong. Feel free to speak up about your bigoted ways, but if someone decides to punch you in your face over it, I'm going to laugh at you.

But Milo's bread and butter is hate speech. He started with Gamergate, which was a misogynist movement.

Im trying to say that he knows how to argue and use logic against you.

I am aware of him. The reason he is dangerous is because he knows how to argue.
We need someone that will actually debate him and not get emotional because of what he says.

You said not hate speech... what he does is hate speech, and yet you still think he shouldn't be denied a platform.

He teeters on hate speech. That is the key distinction. He knows how to get away with it. The quicker you recognize this the better youll do against people like him.

"Liberals need to stop speaking up about the fucked up shit people do that oppresses others"

So what do you suggest is the best thing to do about it? Ignore it hoping it goes away? All the while more and more people are being persuaded to become bigots....

Or do you just think that it's overblown and people aren't turning into racists/homophobes/misogynists over the guise of "being against political correctness"
I'm saying Milo wasn't a household name until liberals made him into a god damn rockstar.

I already told you what should be done, you want to speak up? Go speak to the people who didn't vote this year, millions of people didn't bother voting, last time I checked bigots and racists are a minority compared to the sane and logical minded on this planet. We out number them by a great margin. Instead of attacking trump supporters last election, wasting time on people who would never vote for Hillary, we should have been talking to the people sitting on the side lines.

Like we have trump because the media refused to treat him like Ron Paul and give him zero exposure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom