• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Rogan and Alex Jones get high and incoherently discuss crazy shit (JRE podcast)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I listened to this episode after never really caring to look him up much before, and it prompted me to google him, and I came across this forum post from someone who apparently knew him in school. This part made me laugh:

In school, he made himself foam at the mouth, ran down the halls screaming and attacking lockers and himself and attacked the vice principal screaming that the principal was a demon that was possessing him and he had to get the demon out of him.

Sounds like he's always been a bit...unhinged.

StAidan

Saying Alex Jones has a patriot's passion without a filter is like saying Jeffrey Dahmer has a cook's appetite without the portion control. Kind of misses the fucking point.

I'm curious about your perspective on what the point is, if it's not his filter. Let's say his filter somehow fixed itself and he began to report things that are only verifiably true. What problem would remain with him?

In my view, the insane stories that he gets his audience to believe is entirely the point.

Chumley

Banned
Its like Joe is talking to some of the people in this thread.

Joe Rogan on Liberals Assaulting Donald Trump Supports
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0koG-XnBCI

You mean validating everyone who thinks he's a right wing nut, right? There's so much obfuscation here I don't know where to start. First, the person who did that was an anarchist and not a liberal. Second, Milo Yiannapolis being gay means absolute fuck all and Rogan straight up ignores his ties to Steve Bannon and what Bannon stands for. Third, "punch Nazi's" was started in response to Richard Spencer, an actual Nazi. If only Rogan had the brain power to consider why people would be so opposed to Nazi's getting a platform to speak.

"The left are becoming the right and they're the real fascists". Piss off, Joe. He's a true dumbfuck in all things social and political.

nilbog21

Banned
You mean validating everyone who thinks he's a right wing nut, right? There's so much obfuscation here I don't know where to start. First, the person who did that was an anarchist and not a liberal. Second, Milo Yiannapolis being gay means absolute fuck all and Rogan straight up ignores his ties to Steve Bannon and what Bannon stands for. Third, "punch Nazi's" was started in response to Richard Spencer, an actual Nazi. If only Rogan had the brain power to consider why people would be so opposed to Nazi's getting a platform to speak.

"The left are becoming the right and they're the real fascists". Piss off, Joe. He's a true dumbfuck in all things social and political.

You are labeling Milo a nazi when he is a gay jew that hates muslims.. let's try to make our views a little more nuanced please

Muninn

Banned
I think Alex Jones has an interesting perspective. It's always worthwhile to me to get everyone's ideas out there. But he has bought into his own shtick too much these days. He's crazy and just running a business it seems like sometimes.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I think Alex Jones has an interesting perspective. It's always worthwhile to me to get everyone's ideas out there. But he has bought into his own shtick too much these days. He's crazy and just running a business it seems like sometimes.

If this is serious you either dont know who Alex Jones is or you are trying to normalize his insanity. When i say insanity i mean that quite literally. The man is a complete mental case who does nothing but spread lies about those he doesnt like.

Here is a minuscule snippet of the kind of completely batshit lies Jones spreads:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7t0fqD83TI&t=403s

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Chumley you watched that whole thing and you still come to the conclusion that he's a right wing nut? really?

How do you know the criminal that pepper sprayed that woman was an anarchist and not just a typical left wing radical?How do you determine that label of disassociation since I can't find reference he's been caught, I can't find any mass rejection of this action by the Left that attended the protest and Riot?(maybe my google fu failed shrug)
Regardless he was there and one of the many hundreds that was perpetuating violence along with the rioters..in the name of the left.
Or are you saying all the rioters at Berkeley weren't left wing liberals they were all anarchists?

You say Milo being gay means absolute fuck all..but its actually the heart of his position on Islam..The religion considers him abhorrent, criminal, and he should potentially be killed for it so he hates the religion in kind..
I dont agree with his spite but to not see the connection is disingenuous. I can't tell you how many hateful things i heard from Gays towards the Catholic Church over the years that sounded exactly the same but we gave them a pass because they were literately having the validity of their existence challenged and alot of the social persecution was perpetuated by the Church and they were in pain.

Your lacking the ability to look at what Joe was saying objectively and accept he has a valid point.
If you can't see that Joes criticism of Punch a Nazi Is no one has the right to attack another person physically for their thoughts even if they're disgusting, then there's
not much to say your not actually open to consider different ideas or views or consider everyone's position is more complex then a simple hateful label.

Rubins dialog is certainly becoming more and more relevant

The Left is No Longer Liberal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq86Beh3T70

It was incredibly entertaining. Joe Rogan played along for the laughs I think.

It's amazing how Alex Jones can ramble endlessly about all this conspiracy and government nonsense and not miss a beat.

I get why simple minded people believe him, because he just has a way of speaking that is so confident and believable, except everything he says is nonsense.

Well, not everything. A lot of misdirection and sprinkling of truth to sell it. Using other past pedophiles and trying to tie them in with the other conspiracies.

Ozigizo

Chumley you watched that whole thing and you still come to the conclusion that he's a right wing nut? really?

How do you know the criminal that pepper sprayed that woman was an anarchist and not just a typical left wing radical?How do you determine that label of disassociation since I can't find reference he's been caught, I can't find any mass rejection of this action by the Left that attended the protest and Riot?(maybe my google fu failed shrug)
Regardless he was there and one of the many hundreds that was perpetuating violence along with the rioters..in the name of the left.
Or are you saying all the rioters at Berkeley weren't left wing liberals they were all anarchists?

You say Milo being gay means absolute fuck all..but its actually the heart of his position on Islam..The religion considers him abhorrent, criminal, and he should potentially be killed for it so he hates the religion in kind..
I dont agree with his spite but to not see the connection is disingenuous. I can't tell you how many hateful things i heard from Gays towards the Catholic Church over the years that sounded exactly the same but we gave them a pass because they were literately having the validity of their existence challenged and alot of the social persecution was perpetuated by the Church and they were in pain.

Your lacking the ability to look at what Joe was saying objectively and accept he has a valid point.
If you can't see that Joes criticism of Punch a Nazi Is no one has the right to attack another person physically for their thoughts even if they're disgusting, then there's
not much to say your not actually open to consider different ideas or views or consider everyone's position is more complex then a simple hateful label.

Lol. Milo is FOR gay conversion therapy. If you think Milo is fighting for LGBTQ rights, you are so incredibly wrong. It really shows how little you know.

Audioboxer

this was a nice breakdown

who is this dude? has yanis varoufakis on his show O_O

Rubin? Started gaining some fame with the Rubin Report on the Young Turks network. Then Cenk Uygur and him had a fallout and they split. Was with Larry King for a while, and then he went full independent with fan backing.

Dave's cool, has left and right leaning guests and is a pretty respectful host. Some don't like that though as unless you are screaming, shouting and calling your guests names you ain't an ally (or if you have a conversation with someone that isn't liked you are fair game for abuse). Ironically, Larry King is someone who has spoken with a ridiculous amount of people in his career (of all walks of life) and is well respected. I could reel in Louis Theroux here as well, for another prominent figure who goes and talks with many of the fringes of humanity. Of course ymmv for how much abuse you will get for being seen to have a dialogue with certain people. Speech and conversation seems to be enemy of the state number 1 right now for some. Hence why even someone like Joe Rogan who's done over 900 long form podcasts gets torched alive the second he has one dubious guest on, even although he has had tens of credible thinkers/speakers.

Rogan ain't in the same level as King, or even Theroux. Or I guess even Rubin. He's definitely more of a comedian/entertainer well before a beacon of intellectual discussion. That's what some of his guests are for though, he just gives them a long-form platform and an audience (a large one at that).

I've been told that this podcast episode is ENLIGHTENING and EYE OPENING so I guess I have to listen to it at some point now.

Gotta get me in on them truth bombs, right?

I haven't watched it as I care not to waste 4 hours of my life on Alex Jones, but I think by "enlightening" and "eye-opening" you mean weeping at the mess that is the snake oil merchant himself.

I've been told that this podcast episode is ENLIGHTENING and EYE OPENING so I guess I have to listen to it at some point now.

Bl@de

The truthest bombs of them all

ebc.jpg

ISOM

You are labeling Milo a nazi when he is a gay jew that hates muslims.. let's try to make our views a little more nuanced please

Didn't he help bully Leslie Jones with racist remarks behind it? I'd say he hates a lot more than muslims.

Kyzer

Banned
I'm curious about your perspective on what the point is, if it's not his filter. Let's say his filter somehow fixed itself and he began to report things that are only verifiably true. What problem would remain with him?

In my view, the insane stories that he gets his audience to believe is entirely the point.

I think the way you said filter made it seem almost as though his only crime was speaking his mind too frankly, usually a filter is just something that stops you from sayong what youre thinking, but its obvious now that by filter you are simultaneously referring to his inability to discern the truth and his voracity for spewing nonsense that is found in that untruth

Its like Joe is talking to some of the people in this thread.

Joe Rogan on Liberals Assaulting Donald Trump Supports
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0koG-XnBCI
Good listen right there, let a dude try to punch me or pepper spray a girl for not agreeing with them. That's a coward act if you ask me.

Podcast was a great listen, I use to listen to Alex Jones during my liberal days, not as a fan but just to appease a friend who knew I didn't like Bush at the time and he was all like "you gotta listen to Alex Jones he's crazy but he bashes bush all the time".

They lost me at the pizza gate thing, that went over my head but it was definitely an entertaining listen to break up the work day that's for sure.

Pusherman

God I hate this idea of a regressive left. Trump's win was not a rejection of identity politics, it was a rejection of the people behind those identities. Blacks, gays, Latinos, Muslims and women. That's why a strong and protective left is necessary. That's why an intersectional approach to issues is so important, even if that approach may seem laborious or sidelines some people that are used to being in positions of power (i.e. straight white men and women). People that use the term 'regressive left' are often just people afraid to get left behind in a world where the voices of minorities carry as much weight as those of white straight men and women. Where minorities aren't afraid to criticize allies and demand to lead on issues that impact them most. I'm sorry getting called a bigot, racist, islamohobe or xenophobe hurts but the time of biting our tongue is over. I'm sorry getting ignored hurts but nobody has a right to get listened to. The left will keep going, getting more inclusive, more intersectional and more progressive. Deal with it.

SKINNER!

Banned

and yet they still see "font of all knowledge" Rogan as some kinda Messiah because "bruh! Remember the guy from Fear Factor back in the day? He's the same dude that commentates the UFC bruh!" The organization that's headed by a Trump Supporter

Yeah, piss off Joe. Stick to talking about what you actually know.

Racism is not a political view.

Turns out I'm OK with people punching Nazi assholes.
If your a dude you shouldn't be attacking females
You want to call them all the buzz words, go for it
But don't be surprised when you punch someone they or someone they are with punch back.

I don't like real nazi's either, but it seems everyone is a nazi now a days if they are not on your side. That's some dangerous logic.

Milo reminds me of Goslings character in the Believer:

Gosling portrays a self-hating Jew who joins a group of Neo Nazis while keeping his jewish heritage a secret. It's a interesting film because it portrays someone who is intelligent yet falls into a rabbithole of deplorable trying to convince others while trying to convince himself that what he deep down knows is bullshit, is truth.
Milo is very much like that. Deep down he knows that what he says is complete and utter bullshit, but he is so broken and damaged that he uses his lashing out on others as a form of reaffirmation. Milo dislikes himself and what he is, so he takes it out on others. This is not a psychological anomaly- Many of us have exhibited this trait to a smaller extent.
For example, I went to school with a class mate who was gay and who was against gay adoption because he had been neglected as a child without a father. It's a complex situation where the end result of suffrage translate into a absolustic viewpoints. Something bad happened to me, therefore the rule of order should be this. And generally speaking, the more hurt someone has, the larger the spectrum can be through the outlashing.

Ozigizo

You want to call them all the buzz words

I don't like real nazi's either, but it seems everyone is a nazi now a days if they are not on your side. That's some dangerous logic.

First of all, buzz words? White Nationalism and Nazis are fucking buzz words now? The right never ceases to amaze me in their attempts to downplay racism.

There's no slippery slope here. People are rightfully angry at a group of people WHO WANT THEM DEAD.

First of all, buzz words? White Nationalism and Nazis are fucking buzz words now? The right never ceases to amaze me in their attempts to downplay racism.

There's no slippery slope here. People are rightfully angry at a group of people WHO WANT THEM DEAD.
Now I'm the right, last I checked I was firmly in the middle and watching both sides scream at each other. Attacking females is a huge no no in my book.

I just find it weird how everyone who doesn't agree with you is a nazi. Like by your reasoning that would mean not only conservatives I know, but liberals as well are nazi's.

Which is insane, maybe they are closet racist but nazi's? (As in, they may not realize what they say sometimes is racist, they are not overt, blunt racists)C'mon, that's a gross misuse of labeling.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Now I'm the right, last I checked I was firmly in the middle and watching both sides scream at each other. Attacking females is a huge no no in my book.

I just find it weird how everyone who doesn't agree with you is a nazi. Like by your reasoning that would mean not only conservatives I know, but liberals as well are nazi's.

Which is insane, maybe they are closet racist but nazi's? (As in, they may not realize what they say sometimes is racist, they are not overt, blunt racists)C'mon, that's a gross misuse of labeling.

Right, Milo and his gang don't realize what he says is racist. 🙄

Right, Milo and his gang don't realize what he says is racist. 🙄
All I want to know is are you cool with sucker punching a female or macing them in the face like what was done in that video at the top of this page? Did we really stoop to this level now, where we are totally ok with this.

Breads

Banned
Milo is a brownshirt who thinks his gayness is a disease he wishes can be cured. He flaunts it for people to prop him up as one of the good ones as he throws his mob of hatred to attack random people, including but not limited to innocent victims at the school he is speaking at all the way to celebrities, which is why he got banned from twitter.

You're a disingenuous shit if you frame him as "not being a nazi because he is a gay jew". You ignore his words and his actions and the deeds of his supporters.

StAidan

QFT. These labels don't accomplish anything, it's merely a tactic for shutting a group of people down, dehumanizing them, and/or justifying violence against them -- precisely the behavior that the left supposedly finds so abhorrent. I'm no right-winger, but I'm certainly not blind to this kind of hypocrisy.

Bullying might silence people or ideas you don't like for a while, but the silence never lasts, because you aren't changing their minds, you're just shoving them underground. The reaction we're now seeing from the right is the result of their perception that they've been pushed around long enough.

The inability to put yourself in the mind of someone you disagree with is really crippling the left as a whole right now.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Milo reminds me of Goslings character in the Believer:

Gosling portrays a self-hating Jew who joins a group of Neo Nazis while keeping his jewish heritage a secret. It's a interesting film because it portrays someone who is intelligent yet falls into a rabbithole of deplorable trying to convince others while trying to convince himself that what he deep down knows is bullshit, is truth.
Milo is very much like that. Deep down he knows that what he says is complete and utter bullshit, but he is so broken and damaged that he uses his lashing out on others as a form of reaffirmation. Milo dislikes himself and what he is, so he takes it out on others. This is not a psychological anomaly- Many of us have exhibited this trait to a smaller extent.
For example, I went to school with a class mate who was gay and who was against gay adoption because he had been neglected as a child without a father. It's a complex situation where the end result of suffrage translate into a absolustic viewpoints. Something bad happened to me, therefore the rule of order should be this. And generally speaking, the more hurt someone has, the larger the spectrum can be through the outlashing.

thats a great analogy I think your pretty close to the mark

I'm confused. Who in this thread has said "if you don't agree with me you're a nazi"?
Did anyone say that in particular in this thread? No
It's the attitude that has been prevalent lately on this forum. The labeling of people that don't agree with you are the enemy. It's a little disheartening to see liberals come to this point and it's what pushed me away from my liberal friends. We use to think logically but now we are acting like the far right. I'm not comfortable with that.

TheContact

Joe Rohan, Alex Jones AND Eddie Bravo? Impressive collection of dumb dipshits. Will watch later.

How ignorant if you. Joe is incredibly smart and open minded. Sometimes a little TOO open minded such as his belief that the moon landing was faked (NDT showed him the light)

Now Alex and Eddie on the other hand? Sure

Did anyone say that in particular in this thread? No
It's the attitude that has been prevalent lately on this forum. The labeling of people that don't agree with you are the enemy. It's a little disheartening to see liberals come to this point and it's what pushed me away from my liberal friends. We use to think logically but now we are acting like the far right. I'm not comfortable with that.

Just wanted to make sure I had your strawman straight.

I see people on GAF calling Steve Bannon and Richard Spencer nazis. That amounts to labeling two of the most prominent and outspoken white supremacists as nazis. Care to point out any other examples? The one post on this page accusing someone of calling Milo a nazi is actually responding to a post calling Richard Spencer a nazi.

So, if we're keeping it real, and that's the attitude "prevalent lately on this forum," who else are we talking about? Because this is you verbatim:

So who else we got? Where are you pulling this shit from? Let's not devolve into fallacious nonsense, my dude.

How ignorant if you. Joe is incredibly smart and open minded. Sometimes a little TOO open minded such as his belief that the moon landing was faked (NDT showed him the light)

Now Alex and Eddie on the other hand? Sure

That doesn't sound very smart.

Also i'm fucking giggling at these fucking racist apologist pricks. Goof god what a sad bunch. Racism is not a "political view we should respect". It's a fascist ideology that has it's roots in dismantling human rights for minorities.

"b-but if u punch a nazi U are the nazi :(("

Milo is a brownshirt who thinks his gayness is a disease he wishes can be cured. He flaunts it for people to prop him up as one of the good ones as he throws his mob of hatred to attack random people, including but not limited to innocent victims at the school he is speaking at all the way to celebrities, which is why he got banned from twitter.

You're a disingenuous shit if you frame him as "not being a nazi because he is a gay jew". You ignore his words and his actions and the deeds of his supporters.

Which is funny because a ton of people who use his various identities are the same ones who decry identity politics...

Fighting racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia and bigotry is not identity politics, saying that Milo can't be that evil because he's a gay jew is.

That doesn't sound very smart.

Also i'm fucking giggling at these fucking racist apologist pricks. Goof god what a sad bunch. Racism is not a "political view we should respect". It's a fascist ideology that has it's roots in dismantling human rights for minorities.

"b-but if u punch a nazi U are the nazi :(("

Violence is not defensible no matter your "noble" cause.

cackhyena

Slippery slope fallacy.
What do you suggest we do in the interim?

Don't bother, I've already been down this road. Dumb fucks are still gonna give Nazi's voices and interviews. Shaming them into minimizing and hopefully abandoning that idea is better than occasionally punching someone. It makes you feel good and solves jack shit.

But I'm also a fraud on this front, because standing there, I'm not sure I wouldn't do the same so fuck me I guess.

Gattsu25

Banned
I suppose we should try to hug away their racism when they try to systematically erase us then :^)

I'm not sure if you are aware of this but implying that the end goal of the Nazis is to remove groups of minorities from existence is a slippery slope fallacy. I mean, what could have possibly possessed you into thinking that Nazis would want to do something like that?

...Is this really where we are? Jesus...

Don't bother, I've already been down this road. Dumb fucks are still gonna give Nazi's voices and interviews. Shaming them into minimizing and hopefully abandoning that idea is better than occasionally punching someone. It makes you feel good and solves jack shit.

If you're going to defeat bigotry etc it will be through words and better argumentation, not petty physical violence. It only gives those people a bigger megaphone.

I'm not sure if you are aware of this but implying that the end goal of the Nazis is to remove groups of minorities from existence is a slippery slope fallacy. I mean, what could have possibly possessed you into thinking that Nazis would want to do something like that?

...Is this really where we are? Jesus...
I know your post is facetious and it has been an emotional election, however to say that we live in a Nazi regime is ignorant and immature. It also implies you have given up on our system of checks and balances. Don't give up, our government still works despite the person you wanted in office is not there, and if you really want to make it better help someone run against these clowns in office or contribute in some other way.

Know what else gives those people bigger megaphones? Inviting them on TV and podcasts and radio...

People aren't stupid. Everyone is free to make up their own minds. Let them on radio, tv etc. Who cares. The best argument will ultimately win. You're forgetting we're a very diverse society and headed toward even greater diversity. If they're bigoted, they ultimately have a losing argument anyway.

Do not silence them.
You will not like it when your own voice is one day treated the same and the act is regarded as acceptable.

People aren't stupid. Everyone is free to make up their own minds. Let them on radio, tv etc. Who cares. The best argument will win ultimately win. You're forgetting we're a very diverse society and headed toward even greater diversity. If they're bigoted, they ultimately have a losing argument.

Yep and that's why despite Clinton winning every debate... and overwhelmingly so... she's President... oh wait.

There is responsibility on who you give access to a media platform, the media routinely sanitizes Milo allowing him to go from place to place not as a bigot and serial harassers but as a "controversial conservative"

I am not silencing them, I am asking that they not be given free air time to spread their hate... I am asking that they not be given a platform to harass people.

Yep and that's why despite Clinton winning every debate... and overwhelmingly so... she's President... oh wait.

There is responsibility on who you give access to a media platform, the media routinely sanitizes Milo allowing him to go from place to place not as a bigot and serial harassers but as a "controversial conservative"

Clinton's demise was not related to her debate performances.

Ok, and?

NandoGip

I'd rather support the vast majority of gay people who hate Milo.

Also if you really are using Joe Rogan as a beacon for your ideology, you're probably unaware of the flaws in your argument.

By the way, you have no problem painting "liberals" and "the left" as these violent people, yet I wonder what your views are on:
1) police brutality
2) Trayvon Martin and others
3) The history of Nazi's and their rise to power
4) Trumps inciting comments at his rallies, and the violence at his rallies
5) how the right doesn't disavow or even care much about how their party is infiltrated by white supremacists
6) The right and it's obsession with the confederacy

Clinton's demise was not related to her debate performances.

Ok, and?

But you said just let them speak and the odious ideas will lose... this election showed that yeah that's not true.

People putting people like Milo on their podcast, on their networks, normalize him and enable him to spread his hate further and further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom