• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Carmack on PS4 vs. Xbox One Specs: They're 'Very Close'

But it's probably a close approximation to the differences in performance between both consoles.

I didn't say otherwise, only thing I was saying is that Ps2 could outperform the Xbox in certain scenarios. This doesn't apply to Xbox One and Ps4, because Xbox One is at a disadvantage in everything.
You shouldexpect lots of disappointment in your future then

imtehman

Banned
With PS+, that "paywall" basically gets me an absurd amount of games for a low fee of $49.99.

It really is amazing how absurd the value is for PS+ right now.

but then you can counteract that with sales like Steam. that 400 dollars u are using for paywall could virtually buy you every game you want on the steam summer sale.

imtehman

Banned
Over a console lifetime you will need to upgrade your PC. Anyway, despite that I'd say PS+ hasn't cost me a penny...when they list games I already have I sell them which funds PS+...as stated, best value ever!

i dont think so, you can lower the settings =)

but if you always want the 60 fps, fullblown AA, and tressfx then yeah

quickwhips

but then you can counteract that with sales like Steam. that 400 dollars u are using for paywall could virtually buy you every game you want on the steam summer sale.

Maybe he likes the simplicity of the PS3 interface..oh never mind that shit sucks. Please Sony Make PS4 inteface easy and fast with features built into os instead of games.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Why not, though? The PS4 is more powerful, apparently has a better toolset, and the architecture is marginally less complex. The difference should be apparent very quickly.

With a fixed resolution, with cross-generation multiplats pushing for release at launch or shortly thereafter, there may not be a huge difference. I think it would be a particularly bad indicator for Xbox One and more sophisticated multiplats later if there was.

szaromir

Banned
Cost - No

Convenience - No

Ease of Use - No

Bigger active install base - No

More Occupied Multiplayer - No

Performance? Sure, if you shell out $1000+ for a good gaming rig. I could buy almost every single console (Wii U, Xbox One, PS4) for the price of a high end gaming rig. I get all of the exclusives, and I miss out really on nothing that I could otherwise get on PC other than better performance.
Cost - yes. The CPU in those consoles is laughable and the GPUs are also on the lower end - it won't be long before you'll be able to build a $700 PC that will smoke consoles and you don't have to pay for access to the multiplayer component.

Convenience - yes. Instant access to several hundred games spanning two decades

Ease of use - it's not any more difficult to launch a PC game than it is to launch a console game. Add loading times that are MUCH quicker on PC and you have a winner.

Bigger active userbase - YES. It will take 5-6 years for consoles to catch up to PC which has over 50 million active gamers.

More Occupied Multiplayer - depends on the game. Call of Duty has more players on consoles, Counterstrike has more players on PC etc.

Problem is, PC game performance is tailored to consoles because they represent what the mass market will be buying. You're not going to see any games built from the ground up to support $1000 GPUs with massive amounts of TFLoPs.
So? You're still getting better performance in multiplatform games. $1000 GPUs? PS4-like GPU will be well below $200 by the time PS4 launches.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Cost - yes. The CPU in those consoles is laughable and the GPUs are also on the lower end - it won't be long before you'll be able to build a $700 PC that will smoke consoles and you don't have to pay for access to the multiplayer component.

Cost - No.

You're not building a PC with comparable specs, closed box environment, with a controller and headset packed in for $399, and you won't for many years.

Convenience - yes. Instant access to several hundred games spanning two decades

Convenience - No.

Games play instantly and download in the background, couch gaming, background patching, inevitable Gaikai streaming of the playstation catalogue.

Ease of use - it's not any more difficult to launch a PC game than it is to launch a console game. Add loading times that are MUCH quicker on PC and you have a winner.

See points above -- PS4 seems to be designed with ease of use in mind, even moreso than PC.

Bigger active userbase - YES. It will take 5-6 years for consoles to catch up to PC which has over 50 million active gamers.

Console games sell many times over what PC games sell. It's not about "HOW MANY PEOPLE OWN A PC", it's "HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE PLAYING COD/BF/ETC"

So? You're still getting better performance in multiplatform games. $1000 GPUs? PS4-like GPU will be well below $200 by the time PS4 launches.

I'm still getting 1080p games on PS4. All of these new-generation titles will be developed with PS4/XB1 specs in mind.

Advantage is for the PC if 60fps in every game is a requirement (for me, it's not), or getting in excess of 1080p resolution.

This is a non-issue for me.

If developers actually made games with the top 1% of graphics cards in mind that truly take advantage of the extra specs in ways outside of easily scalable factors, I'd be more inclined to care.

Demon Ice

Banned
He summed up Kinect thusly: Saying that he's given Apple grief for its one-button mouse, Carmack describes Kinect as "kind of like a zero-button mouse with a lot of latency on it."

Thank you. This man gets it. Such a blatant gimmick.

Durante

For some in this thread it seems like the 40% performance advantage PS4 enjoys over XB1 is a massive gulf, while the 200% advantage of a good gaming PC is negligible.

Personally, I think both matter.

szaromir

Banned
Cost - No.

You're not building a PC with comparable specs, closed box environment, with a controller and headset packed in for $399, and you won't for many years.

Convenience - No.

Games play instantly and download in the background, couch gaming, background patching, inevitable Gaikai streaming of the playstation catalogue.

See points above -- PS4 seems to be designed with ease of use in mind, even moreso than PC.

Console games sell many times over what PC games sell. It's not about "HOW MANY PEOPLE OWN A PC", it's "HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE PLAYING COD/BF/ETC"

I'm still getting 1080p games on PS4. All of these new-generation titles will be developed with PS4/XB1 specs in mind.

Advantage is for the PC if 60fps in every game is a requirement (for me, it's not), or getting in excess of 1080p resolution.

This is a non-issue for me.

If developers actually made games with the top 1% of graphics cards in mind that truly take advantage of the extra specs in ways outside of easily scalable factors, I'd be more inclined to care.
Cost - you will build $700 that will slaughter PS4 and you don't have to worry about paywalls. All accessory talk is meaningless since I have (and I think everyone here as well) a large collection of those by now.

Convenience - all those things are already on PC you know.

"Userbase is about how many people play multiplayer games, eg. BF3" - well here are some BF3 stats from this moment:
PC online
40 113
PS3 online
66 233
360 online
50 223
PC is at minor disadvantage here, but 40k is more than enough to be sure you will find games going on. Not to mention BF3 is not a particularly popular game, with the likes of LOL, DOTA2 or TF2 killing its numbers.

As for the last point - so if suddenly lower settings are more than enough for you, why do you care to begin with. "Scalable factors" can be a pretty big deal when on one platform you have distracting things such as jagged shadows or low res transparencies and on another you don't have them.

For some in this thread it seems like the 40% performance advantage PS4 enjoys over XB1 is a massive gulf, while the 200% advantage of a good gaming PC is negligible.

Personally, I think both matter.

But ccomparing to pc is one of those things, which pc are you comparing them to?

And then you have to compare between pcs. 200% actual gulf in performance, isn't comparing to your everyday pc. Pcs can go all tbhe way to quad sli.

I always love wildly innacurate and constantly disproven pc gaming stereotypes. If you try to argue that consoles are superior in any way but exclusives and convenience its not gonna turn out well.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Cost - you will build $700 that will slaughter PS4 and you don't have to worry about paywalls. All accessory talk is meaningless since I have (and I think everyone here as well) a large collection of those by now.

Convenience - all those things are already on PC you know.

"Userbase is about how many people play multiplayer games, eg. BF3" - well here are some BF3 stats from this moment:
PC online
40 113
PS3 online
66 233
360 online
50 223
PC is at minor disadvantage here, but 40k is more than enough to be sure you will find games going on. Not to mention BF3 is not a particularly popular game, with the likes of LOL, DOTA2 or TF2 killing its numbers.

As for the last point - so if suddenly lower settings are more than enough for you, why do you care to begin with. "Scalable factors" can be a pretty big deal when on one platform you have distracting things such as jagged shadows or low res transparencies and on another you don't have them.

Look - here's what you PC folks fail to understand.

"PC" isn't some static piece of hardware. You have options as to what rig you're going to build.

Console gives me the best bang for my buck -- in essence, with how common the architecture is now, I *AM* buying a PC.

How is that any different from someone who bought a mid-to-high end gaming PC this year or last year?

To get better performance you'll have to continually upgrade your rig.

I just choose to "upgrade my rig" every 6-8 years with every console cycle because it's cost-effective, gives me all the library of PC games I care about, and also a wealth of exclusives that I couldn't play on my PC.

I do this at the expense of not getting the absolute best version of games, but like I said, unless devs develop ground up for the hardware the difference in power isn't worth the gulf in price for upgrading.

clav

Carmack then discussed why he's not quite sold on the Kinect motion controller, even while he thinks it's a technology that's set to grow and improve. He summed up Kinect thusly:

Saying that he's given Apple grief for its one-button mouse, Carmack describes Kinect as "kind of like a zero-button mouse with a lot of latency on it."

But then we got RAGE

I fully intend to just buy a PS4 with PS+

Game purchasing unlike previous generations will be few and far between.

Using rentals to fill the gaps that PS+ can't.

Theoretically I'm hoping it'll be my cheapest generation yet

Could you explain why? I have zero doubt exclusives will have big differences. That happened this gen, and next gen i expect the gap to be bigger because things are in place for that to happen.
Eh. Last gen the difference was more of a studio advantage than a hardware advantage. Sony has ND, SSM, QD, & GG. Microsoft had Bungie and Gears for the most part. It took 343i for people to say "that's running on 360??" again.

Based on Phil Spencer saying they've got 3 new studios specifically for AAA big budget games, I don't see that huge first party visual advantage being as great as it was last time around. Just off it not being Sony's 5+ visual feasts vs just halo and gears anymore changes the dynamic.

TheKayle

Banned
Eh. Last gen the difference was more of a studio advantage than a hardware advantage. Sony has ND, SSM, QD, & GG. Microsoft had Bungie and Gears for the most part. It took 343i for people to say "that's running on 360??" again.

Based on Phil Spencer saying they've got 3 new studios specifically for AAA big budget games, I don't see that huge first party visual advantage being as great as it was last time around. Just off it not being Sony's 5+ visual feasts vs just halo and gears anymore changes the dynamic.

and add that one of the biggest sony exclusive infamous ss isnt setting the graphical bar compared to what we seen for xb1.

EvB

And to counteract that, think of just how many old C64 game cassettes you could buy with all that money!

szaromir

Banned

I just choose to "upgrade my rig" every 6-8 years with every console cycle because it's cost-effective, gives me all the library of PC games I care about, and also a wealth of exclusives that I couldn't play on my PC.
I choose to upgrade my rig every 3 years or so, get the absolute best bang for the buck when I do so, enjoy tremendous library of games that perform much better than they do on consoles. I will also buy one or two or three consoles (depending if I'm ever interested in their library), but the bulk of my gaming time will be spent on PC - why settle for far inferior experience?

clav

What do you mean? If there's one thing you can't fault RAGE for it's control latency, pulling off those visuals on consoles at 60 FPS is a seriously impressive feat.

RAGE was a terrible game, so Carmack doesn't really know much about gameplay as the game was piss poor with a standard controller.

and add that one of the biggest sony exclusive infamous ss isnt setting the graphical bar compared to what we seen for xb1.

Second son looks pretty damn good man. The only games that look better are The Order and Quantum Break. But we don't really have uncut gameplay footage of those yet so Second Son is the best looking next gen game I've seen so far.

BigDug13

"PC" isn't some static piece of hardware. You have options as to what rig you're going to build.

Console gives me the best bang for my buck -- in essence, with how common the architecture is now, I *AM* buying a PC.

How is that any different from someone who bought a mid-to-high end gaming PC this year or last year?

To get better performance you'll have to continually upgrade your rig.

I do this at the expense of not getting the absolute best version of games, but like I said, unless devs develop ground up for the hardware the difference in power isn't worth the gulf in price for upgrading.

The major differences is the incredibly cheaper price of PC games, free online saving you $50-$60 per year, greater customizability and user moddability, and infinite backward compatibility allowing you to continue to make old games look really impressive as you upgrade hardware. (Example, Morrowind can be made to look as good as Skyrim)

Then there's emulation with hardware video acceleration options making old game system games look their best.

If you buy 12 games per year and save around $20 per game getting it on PC as well as saving $60 per year with free online, your PC gaming experience costs $300 less per year than your console experience. How many years until your hardware is paid off with the savings in cost?

I still love gaming on consoles, but anyone who says console gaming is cheaper hasn't properly done the math.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I still love gaming on consoles, but anyone who says console gaming is cheaper hasn't properly done the math.
I've done the math. I live the math. I track every purchase. PC gaming isn't cheaper for me.

Not every has the same purchasing habits. I can construct a scenario (or use my own) to make console games more attractive. Some else can do the same for PC. This general: this is how it is for everyone is bullshit.

Last year a person I knew bought a PS3. Had he bought PS+ for himself and his kids at the discounted price that you can get it at (35EUR), which I suggested to him, he would have gotten ~60 games on it in the span of a year. I doubt anyone can beat that.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
lol for who!? u mean in your opinion?.."by far"??!?!

dont think so

mgs5 looked better to me and is a multiplat

ps. to be honest 3 or 4 games looked better than infamous

MGSV looks good but it's current gen roots really show, especially in the hair and the rather barren and static environments.

iceatcs

lol for who!? u mean in your opinion?.."by far"??!?!

dont think so

mgs5 looked better to me and is a multiplat

ps. to be honest 3 or 4 games looked better than infamous

I'm sorry but your opinion also not higher than James. :p

Portugeezer

I watched the keynote and he's clearly talking about the architecture and not the hard "numbers". He also says he hasn't done any benchmarking so he wouldn't even know properly.

TheKayle

Banned
Second son looks pretty damn good man. The only games that look better are The Order and Quantum Break. But we don't really have uncut gameplay footage of those yet so Second Son is the best looking next gen game I've seen so far.

sure it look good ..

omg IT LOOK GOOD

but infamous with kz,gow,uncharted and gt...is one of the biggest sony exclusives...and im not seeing like someone is saying this graphical difference between this exclusive and a xb1 exclusive

What do you mean? If there's one thing you can't fault RAGE for it's control latency, pulling off those visuals on consoles at 60 FPS is a seriously impressive feat.

It's impressive, but recall it is 60 frames because they traded off on elements such as effects and lighting to keep a high level of detail. Unless Rage received a bunch of awards for graphics, then people subjectively prefer doing things a different way. It may be more impressive than CoD, but falls short in comparison to other games.

Carmack is probably spot on.
How can he be when he's actually said nothing about them comparatively. Do people not remember how far into detail he went about the 360 architecture versus PS3? Now he has literally nothing to say in a situation where there are significant differences in the GPU and memory between the two?

I'm not buying it as easily as some here may be.

iceatcs

true :) i add :D mine is lower coz my english sucks!

Join the club.

If you see this picture
200px-Grammar_Nazi.svg.png

RUN!!! - also don't go to Reddit.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
The major differences is the incredibly cheaper price of PC games, free online saving you $50-$60 per year, greater customizability and user moddability, and infinite backward compatibility allowing you to continue to make old games look really impressive as you upgrade hardware. (Example, Morrowind can be made to look as good as Skyrim)

Then there's emulation with hardware video acceleration options making old game system games look their best.

If you buy 12 games per year and save around $20 per game getting it on PC as well as saving $60 per year with free online, your PC gaming experience costs $300 less per year than your console experience. How many years until your hardware is paid off with the savings in cost?

This totally discounts the benefits of PSN+, which gives me tons of games rather cheaply, similar to Steam's sales.

Also assumes a $20 gap in price on PC vs. consoles, which is another disingenuous assumption.

Bottom line is it doesn't pay off for me: My option would be:

1) PS4 only - get everything I need on one system

2) PC + PS4 for exclusives only

I'm not going to miss out on Sony's exclusives, I have no problem missing out on PC's exclusives since the console ports are the only thing that I'd play on the PC.

BigDug13

This totally discounts the benefits of PSN+, which gives me tons of games rather cheaply, similar to Steam's sales.

Also assumes a $20 gap in price on PC vs. consoles, which is another disingenuous assumption.

Bottom line is it doesn't pay off for me: My option would be:

1) PS4 only - get everything I need on one system

2) PC + PS4 for exclusives only

I'm not going to miss out on Sony's exclusives, I have no problem missing out on PC's exclusives since the console ports are the only thing that I'd play on the PC.

My assumption is based on buying everything brand new as preorder since this is a video games forum frequented by people who buy the games they truly want on day 1. PS+ games are not guaranteed to be the games you want but I do have PS+ and see the value in it.

My Bordelands 2 PC preorder was $37. My Borderlands 2 360 preorder was $60. If you can locate a PC game seller giving you deals like that on new games all the time then it's close to $20 savings per game. But even if you only save $10 per preordered game which is in no way a disingenuous number. That's still $180 savings per year for 1 game per month.

Yes console gaming can be done for cheap as can PC games. I personally played through both inFamous games with PS+ and $7 total.

My main point is that just because your PC hardware costs $1000, that doesn't automatically mean PC gaming is more expensive. It's situational based on your gaming habits, sure. But PC gaming also includes a wealth of benefits as well such as infinite BC with improved visuals.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
My main point is that just because your PC hardware costs $1000, that doesn't automatically mean PC gaming is more expensive. It's situational based on your gaming habits, sure. But PC gaming also includes a wealth of benefits as well such as infinite BC with improved visuals.
I completely agree with the benefits for PC (I also think it has quite some problems.). Philosophically it's my favorite platform. (Well if they drop Windows and use Linux like I hope Valve is pushing it.)

This year I haven't been into big AAA games at launch, but the last two I bought at launch was BioShock: Infinite at ~32EUR and The Last of Us at 41 EUR.
That's almost 10 EUR difference and I think it's a good deal for both games.

Given that the prices for PCs in Germany are much higher than the same components via NewEgg.com it takes me much longer to recoup my costs for the PC.

All I disagree is that it's a clear cut numbers game valid for everyone. Someone from Brazil where the console gaming market is completely screwed up will also have a very different experience.

Jack_AG

Banned
I'm hoping the forthcoming generation sees a fewer amount of lengthy and complex render pipelines. I will gladly take more responsive controls over visuals any day.

Sadly, I do not think this will happen. We've seen how it affected the Killzone series, how DICE even patched an option to remove AA to shave a frame from render in BF3, how horrid GTAIV was in this regard...

I really don't want that again this gen :( Its the main reason I switched to gaming on a monitor over a TV to help drop video latency and you can still feel it.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Aren't you guys assuming PS+ will be the same as this gen which makes no sense. An extremely large amount of PS4 owners will be getting it anyway for online, what reason would Sony have to essentially give away games to people that would own the service anyway?

Top Bottom